LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
cossieuk

Comic Book Films, Will We Get Sick Of Them

I love comic book films as much as the next guy, and recently we have been inundated with them. Well many have worked, especially Guardians of the Galaxy, others have not been so good, like X-men Last Stand. With recent announcements from both DC and Marvel of many new films will be get sick of them.

For those that havent seen the list here is what we can expect

Marvel

Avengers: Age of Ultron: May 1, 2015

Ant-Man: July 17, 2015

Captain America: Civil War: May 6, 2016

Doctor Strange: November 4, 2016

Guardians of the Galaxy 2: May 5, 2017

Thor: Ragnarok: July 28, 2017

Black Panther: November 3, 2017

Captain Marvel: July 6, 2018

Inhumans: November 2, 2018

Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1: May 4, 2018

Avengers: Infinity War, Part 2: May 3, 2019

DC

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” (2016)

“Suicide Squad,” (2016)

“Wonder Woman,” t (2017)

“Justice League Part One,” (2017)

“The Flash,” (2018)

“Aquaman,” (2018)

“Shazam” (2019)

“Justice League Part Two,” (2019)

“Cyborg,” (2020)

“Green Lantern” (2020)

With Batman and Superman also get another film each, but no confirmed dates as of yet.

Also I cant forget to add in the Deadpool film, the Fantastic Four reboot in 2015 and Amazing Spiderman in 2018

I'm already sick of some of the films.

Iron Man is worn out. Terrible plots with terrible dialogue, so he's only really got a chance in the Avengers films.

Thor hasn't got much more to offer, unless things like the Celestials get involved. Or they bring in Hercules. Thor on his own has done all he can in the last 3 films he's been in, so I'm not really psyched about seeing his films anymore.

Hulk still has some hope, because it's Hulk. World War Hulk or having him face off against truly powerful foes would be good (fingers crossed for Infinity War). We'll see Hulk vs Hulkbuster Iron Man in Avengers 2, so that will be good.

Spider-man might as well be dead to me. They keep showing too much Peter Parker and not enough Spider-man. The Sinister Six film also sounds like it's going to be trying to do too much with too little. I've even heard of a Venom/Carnage film, which sounds good but where the fuck is the 'film-seed' supposed to be? They can't just jump in with symbiotes for that film.

Fantastic 4 is doing a reboot just for the sake of keeping the rights, but with poor casting decisions.

X-men is getting pretty stale. They're now riding on the coat-tails of Jackman, Fassbender and McAvoy with these weird crossing films that don't match the existing plots at all.

Deadpool could be good, but rumours are abound that this will be a PG film which will be absolutely useless for Deadpool.

Suicide Squad looks interesting, but it's too early to tell.

Batman vs Superman... what could have been a good film has already lost my interest. The Man of Steel film was pretty boring, with pointless plot devices and a lot of 'zoomed out explosions tiny people fighting' scenes. And with Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, I'm staying out of it.

But shit, who really cares about things like Cyborg, Wonder Woman or Aquaman? They're clearly attempts to cash in on Justice League films. Or Ant-man (bit too late for Ultron, too) and Black Panther? It's like they're looking down their list and going 'yeah let's just do that'.

The Flash, Shazam, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel are ones that could go really well or could flop entirely. They need to be handled right. And Green Lantern, shit the less said about him the better.

To me, these films are either getting too stale, too try-hard, too stretched or too far removed from the actual plots.

There is talks between Disney and Sony about having Spiderman in the next Captain America story, it will come down to money.

I suspect that at least one big character will be killed off in the next few films, with Captain America most likely as Chris Evans is only contracted for 2 more films and he wants to do more directing. So I would guess Bucky Barnes could step up and become the new Captain America.

It will be interesting to see who they get to play The Flash, as it is not due out till 2018 and the TV show is doing pretty well so they could use the characters from that.

I can't see people getting sick of them anytime soon.

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy this week and from hearing people rave on and on about how brilliant it was, I was really looking forward to watching it. To say I was disappointed with it would be putting it mildly. I didn't enjoy it at all and found it difficult to watch.

I couldn't enjoy it because I kept thinking "Who is this guy Ronan (the bad guy) and why can't the government of the good guy planet stop him? Don't they have ships?" I know you have to take these kind of films with a punch of salt, but I could not get past any of the plot holes. 

At the end a single ship manages to get in the atmosphere of a well developed planet easily. The resistance put up by the planet was pitiful. How the hell could a lone bad guy have better resources and technology than a whole planet of people? We are expected to believe that that was the extent of their defenses? Am I meant to care if the planet is saved? The only people I've seen that live there seem very annoying.

I thought Chris Pratt and Zoe Salana were great in it, but the script was dire. 70 and 80s music with a witty, likeable lead does not a good film make. Yet so many people say the film was the best thing since sliced bread! 

After watching GOG, I know I for one am starting to get sick of superhero films.

I thought Captain America was poor, quite liked Thor, loved The Avengers but was shocked at how bad a job they did with Spiderman and Superman, Those films had, in my opinion, perfect casting that was ruined by tepid screenplays and amateurish writing.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

• Upvote 1

I like the Iron Man and Thor movies. The others just don't move me in the first place.

Batman movies were always very mixed quality. I don't think they really count as a comic adaption. Most of them anyway.

• Upvote 1

Familiarity moves tickets. At the same time, all the sequels and adaptations in the film industry are a bit sad. Costs to make movies now keep rising, which makes recouping more difficult, so most people just go for the "safe" in addition to hypnotic eye candy. I had read an article somewhere that the year 2013 was basically "year of the sequel," for example.

As for superheroes specifically, I was never that interested anyway. I remember Batman Returns (1992), one of the Hellboys, saw The Avengers (2012), (and whatever else I'm forgetting); I enjoyed them well enough but don't go out of my way for those types of films. I don't follow the comics, either, which also places me a bit out of the target demographic.

Side comment: I suspect cultural popularity has a lot to do with a desire for vigilante justice when all we see in the world is bad news and no good way to address/fix the social fabric for most of such bad news.

I've been sick of comic book movie adaptations for years.

+1

Way too much of them + watching comic book heroes known from childhood was fun first few times, but it became boring really.

I'm already sick of some of the films.

Same here ...

Although I did watch X-men days of future past and really enjoyed it (which I can't say about Guardians of the galaxy (thank god for streams so I didn't waste money on a ticket)

Same here ...

Although I did watch X-men days of future past and really enjoyed it (which I can't say about Guardians of the galaxy (thank god for streams so I didn't waste money on a ticket)

2120-finn-wat.jpg

I've been sick of comic book movie adaptations for years.

^^^^^THIS!!!!

I've been over them since the original Spiderman 2.

Just stop paying money to see this shit, people. The only reason they are made is because Hollywood has run out of ideas, no reason you should reward them for their lack of creativity.

On the note of comics to screen... 

I don't think I want to watch The Walking Dead anymore -.-

Just stop paying money to see this shit, people. The only reason they are made is because Hollywood has run out of ideas, no reason you should reward them for their lack of creativity.

I didn't even bother paying to see Iron Man 3. Or any of the Spider-man films, because I had my suspicions it was going to be bad. I unfortunately paid to see Man of Steel, but I love Superman so I had some bias.

But I paid for Guardians of the Galaxy twice. And Avengers twice. Now I have an Unlimited Card for 2015, so all films can be watched for only £200 a year.

On the note of comics to screen... 

I don't think I want to watch The Walking Dead anymore -.-

spoilers-doctor-who.png

Heh... AMC spoilered on their own facebook page quiiiiite epically.

I dodged the spoiler during the weekend, used to doing so since we always get series at least 24 hours late.

There were plenty of other characters to use for that kind of cheap "shock value" though >=(

Basically same reason I don't pay for comic book based movies, no need to line myself up for free stabs right in the childhood just because hollywood writers can't come up with anything cool themselves anymore.  Learned that early on courtesy of Peter Crapson.

Surely if the films are good is what is important, not if they are innovative.

.....but most of them aren't good, they're just new generations of CGI advancements.

It appears that Benedict Cumberbatch will be playing Dr Strange.

Yup. A much better decision than Ryan 'Can't Act At All' Gosling. Less eye-candy, but I suppose there are those who find the Ood Cumberbatch to be attractive.

This is one of those films that could make or break a character. Cumberbatch is a pretty good actor, but will a supreme sorcerer really be that interesting for the general masses who watch superhero films?

Side note, that Suicide Squad has completely lost my attention now. Originally, there were rumours of Tom Hardy, Will Smith and Margot Robbie (the blonde wife in Wolf of Wall Street). I got excited because I was thinking Tom Hardy as Deathstroke, Will Smith as Black Manta and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

Turned out, Will Smith will be Deadshot (no-one's favourite villain), Tom Hardy as Rick Flag (who?) and Margot Robbie is Harley Quinn (I can see her being incredible). No mention of who will be Deathstroke, or if he'll even be in it (the only real reason to watch it). And to make matters worse, Jared Leto will play the Joker (not the obvious choice of Willem Dafoe) and Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor might be in it.

It's like they're intentionally trying to fuck up would could have been a brilliant film. Shit, they're even including a character called 'Captain Boomerang', played by Jai Courtney (who was rumoured to be Deadshot). It's a fucking joke.

I don't think the movie will play well with him as Dr. Strange. They are banking on his popularity from Dr. Who to carry over I think. Mind you, it also depends on the director and story line. If it's good enough, even a guy like Cumberbatch will come off half decent.

Also as far as actors go, I find Hollywood is moving to a younger stable of actors all around, so they can recycle old movies and bring them up to date (according to 'them'), I only saw the remakes of The Thing and Red Dawn when they showed up on TV for 'free', as I've seen the originals and thought they were just fine. But lately Hollywood is running out of ideas, so maybe instead of grabbing new actors they toss their current writers and hire new ones? Fresh ideas and all that.

Jared Leto is too emo to play the Joker. (why the fuck did Heath Ledger have to OD? Dude did an awesome job of the Joker).

They are banking on his popularity from Dr. Who...

*Sherlock

Jared Leto is too emo to play the Joker. (why the fuck did Heath Ledger have to OD? Dude did an awesome job of the Joker).

I did like Ledger's version, but it still wasn't enough like the Joker to me. He was more creepy and sort of broken, whereas the Joker is usually more chaotic happy.

I only saw the remakes of The Thing and Red Dawn when they showed up on TV for 'free', as I've seen the originals and thought they were just fine. But lately Hollywood is running out of ideas, so maybe instead of grabbing new actors they toss their current writers and hire new ones? Fresh ideas and all that.

I normally hate remakes with a vehemence, they never seem to compare to the originals, most of them as films are good but as remakes seem to lack, to this day I still hate modern BSG series despite recognising that as a sci-fi series in and as of itself it is actually good, it's just NOT BSG! However, I begrudgingly watched the remake of red Dawn a while back and I'm happy to say I actually found it to be a great film and one of the only remakes I've ever seen matched up to the original.

My problem with remakes is that they are remakes of good films. Why not remake films that flopped and fix the problems with them