LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
cossieuk

Comic Book Films, Will We Get Sick Of Them

My problem with remakes is that they are remakes of good films. Why not remake films that flopped and fix the problems with them

Because they flopped. Who will risk that?

I've heard they're planning on re-making Highlander. At this point, I have to ask: is nothing sacred?!

Because they flopped. Who will risk that?

Risky yes, but if they can make it work, a potential hit. How many times have you watched a film you've been waiting for because of the hype and at the end thought "shit that had so much potential but they dropped the fucking ball", I know I have a lot, maybe even in the hundreds of films. Imagine any one of them films you felt that way about done right, what an amazing film it could have been.

There is always great uncertainty about why things flop, or in general why some things turn out popular and others do not. Movies, music, websites, everything that is popularity driven.

Big cooperations always pretend to be "data-driven" but I can tell for sure that it is a bunch of hogwash. Individuals are put into place and they either have the right sense or not. It doesn't matter whether they just play dictator or go through the trouble of pretending to collect and analyze data in a bias-free manner (some pretend to just others, many to themselves). These individuals might then be replaced or not replaced based on equally questionable measures, some of them loosely based on success.

Fact is that if it was a flop there will be people who can say that the sequel flopped because of something the original had, too. It doesn't matter one bit who says that beforehand, but they will come out of the woodworks when the wall was hit straight on.

Risky yes, but if they can make it work, a potential hit. How many times have you watched a film you've been waiting for because of the hype and at the end thought "shit that had so much potential but they dropped the fucking ball", I know I have a lot, maybe even in the hundreds of films. Imagine any one of them films you felt that way about done right, what an amazing film it could have been.

Yeah but the reason they flopped is entirely because film-makers have no clue how to make a good film. It's a bizarre world we live in where bellshiners like Michael Bay get to make high-budget films with what should be unquestionably awesome source material and make shit with it, but there are truly creative or talented people who never get a look in. The people that should be making films aren't the ones being given the chance.

So if they can't even get it right the first time (when it's so obvious what should and shouldn't be done), it's highly unlikely they'll get it right the second time.

Highlander? I have the extended version with all the missing stuff, and it comes off pretty good. The rest of them got a lot campy, especially when they went to the banished off-world aliens reasoning which completely broke the chain of thought started in the first film. The series was so-so. The mash-up between the movie and series was baked. I found Kurgan to be very memorable as a villain from the original movie.

I am very hesitant about looking forward to a remake of that. No more than I expect Disney to know how to make a Starwars movie.

Highlander? I have the extended version with all the missing stuff, and it comes off pretty good. The rest of them got a lot campy, especially when they went to the banished off-world aliens reasoning which completely broke the chain of thought started in the first film. The series was so-so. The mash-up between the movie and series was baked. I found Kurgan to be very memorable as a villain from the original movie.

Except in the mash-up they killed Connor, which was just the stupidist thing ever and ignoring all the movies that had come before.

That was a pretty boy Hollywood move. The younger version of Highlander drew more women into that audience.

If it isn't Christopher Lambert, then they aren't worth calling Connor MacLeod! A year or so ago there were talks of Ryan Reynolds to play the Highlander. I'm so glad they didn't pick him.

But I did always think Thomas Jane when he was a bit younger might have been a good pick for him in a later sequel. Looks a lot like the original.

The series was good, Adrian Paul was a decent Highlander, and a decent actor in other roles, and having Christopher Lambert making a guest appearance in the pilot help to tie the show to the films.

The series was good, Adrian Paul was a decent Highlander, and a decent actor in other roles, and having Christopher Lambert making a guest appearance in the pilot help to tie the show to the films.

And they inherited Claudia Christian after her B5 mess. That alone should be a reason to make it through to the last season. (although last season B5 appropriately suffers)

And they inherited Claudia Christian after her B5 mess. That alone should be a reason to make it through to the last season. (although last season B5 appropriately suffers)

She is reason enough to role a female Norn character in Guild Was 2

She is reason enough to role a female Norn character in Guild Was 2

I bought GW2 because of that. Didn't make it far enough to talk to her, though.

Didn't like the Highlander TV series at all, I find Adrian Paul to be very stiff and forced as an actor, his lines always feel like he's staring off set reading from a prompter.

Didn't like the Highlander TV series at all, I find Adrian Paul to be very stiff and forced as an actor, his lines always feel like he's staring off set reading from a prompter.

Do they even bother with the whole 'broken accent' thing to show they've been around for a while?

Yeah but...Methos! *.*

Sony and Disney have come to a deal that will allow Spiderman to appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, most likely starting with Captain America: Civil War in 2016, which would be consistent with the original comic book story line.

Also as part of the deal Marvel will co-produce the next solo Spiderman film due out in 2017. Hopefully this will make for better Spiderman films since Sony arent good at them.

It also looks like Andrew Garfield will not be playing Spiderman going forward

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31356142

Sony and Disney have come to a deal that will allow Spiderman to appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, most likely starting with Captain America: Civil War in 2016, which would be consistent with the original comic book story line.

Also as part of the deal Marvel will co-produce the next solo Spiderman film due out in 2017. Hopefully this will make for better Spiderman films since Sony arent good at them.

It also looks like Andrew Garfield will not be playing Spiderman going forward

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31356142

Another reboot of Spider-man? At least the Avengers will feel a bit fuller now. If only Fox would share Wolverine too.

Another reboot of Spider-man? At least the Avengers will feel a bit fuller now. If only Fox would share Wolverine too.

If it is a reboot, then hopefully it will tie into the current Marvel Cinematic Universe so that we could get more character cross overs going forward.

Well it would be nice to see the some of the X-Men in the upcoming Marvel films, including Wolverine, I am worried that you could end up with too many characters in the films and that none of them get much screen time or worse some only pop up in 1 or 2 scenes but do nothing for the film.

The next Avengers film out later this year has Quicksilver, but not the same Quicksilver as in Days of Futures Past, and Scarlet Witch, who are the children of Magneto.

The next Avengers film out later this year has Quicksilver, but not the same Quicksilver as in Days of Futures Past, and Scarlet Witch, who are the children of Magneto.

Yeah, I thought that was weird. They're mutants, so now Marvel has mutants in the cineverse? Specifically, a second-rate Flash and an uninteresting character (though, to be fair, there aren't many interesting mutant characters).