LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Altreg01

Other MMOs to play?

I May have missed this, but compared to LotRO, how much content does TSW have overall?

I can only go by what I have, having never bought any additions to TSW. Comparably, probably what LOTRO had at launch with Evendim added in. But, I had to run through Kingsmouth, what Breeland would be in LOTRO, 2 or 3 times to have good enough gear/stats to not get steamrolled in the next zone.

95%? Really? I think you are exaggerating a bit there. Only grind I found is replaying the same content over and over to earn SP/AP

As for .some of the quests that Andro mentioned. The Black House in The Savage Coast still gives me goosebumps when I'm in there.

I may be be exaggerating, but definately "follow an arrow" tasks were big majority.   I remember some diffrent quests, like one in Church (I think?) in which I had to figure out some kind of number or page or something(It was long ago) and some others, but they were rarity.

Seems this is because I have not left first region after introduction&London. Kingsmouth I think it was called.  Androclese say that in later regions ratio is diffrent.  If so then awful and very weird choice by Funcom.

There's probably not much more than a dozen or so quests like that out of the 40 or so quests in kingsmouth and only that many there because it's the starting area and they're breaking you in slowly.

Very odd choice by Funcom if that's the case as I've already mentioned.  Putting biggest strenght of their title further in the game and giving more primitive grindy stuff at the beggining.  Blows my mind really.

I think there is more than dozen of them though. I do remember playing TSW for 3 long evenings straight when I got it and mostly I was just running doing usual mmo "quests" in majority of the time.

Tokens and currencies, yup 100% same as any mmo, in fact same as any game where you can buy equipment in game, hardly mmo only really, it's a currency system.

No. Not every game.  Sure every game in which you buy stuff have some form of currency (gold or dollars usually for obvious reasons), but tokens and whole token equipment gather system is mmorpg idea. Sure that idea is nowadays put by some companies even in some single player games, but it was not always like that and it does not make it any better.  One of most awful gaming ideas ever imho.

You can make equipment acquiring much better than token grinds.

I don't want to make this post longer than it is, but If you wish I can explain you how you can solve it diffrently (esp. in non-mmo games) and why tokens are awful idaes in first place.

Not entirely sure exactly what you mean by that one.

MMO(RPG)s have a design in which there is big amount of "stupid" Mobs standing around everywhere doing shit. With all of consequences of this. 

I May have missed this, but compared to LotRO, how much content does TSW have overall?

As land mass I would say less than LotRO, of course TSW is only 2 yrs old and got set back early on. Overall number of Missions/Quests would be less also.

There are 4 Main Regions Solomon Island, Egypt, Transylvania, Tokyo.

SI has 3 Maps Kingsmouth, Savage Coast, Blue Mountain

Egypt has 2 Maps Scorching Desert, City of the Sun God

Transylvania has 3 maps Besieged Farmlands, Shadowy Forest, Carpathian Fangs

Tokyo has 1 map Kaidan which is segregated by Quarantine Zones, we just moved out of the 1st section into the second.

1 Raid with the second one coming next Update

3 Scenarios with settings to choose # of players and difficulty

8 5-man Instances with 3 difficulty levels ranging from QL 4 to QL 10. Normal difficulty is tuned to green gear in the appropriate zone, Elites are tuned for QL 10 green gear, Nightmare is tuned to QL 10 Blues to QL 10.2 purples and require to finish all Instances in Elite plus beat a solo boss.

Each Map has a QL10 outdoor solo Nightmare Area some have more than 1, Each map also has a QL10 Group outdoor Lair Area. The Lair Areas drop items to summon a Regional Boss and the Regional Bosses drop summoning Items for a World type Boss. Tokyo does have a Nightmare Area, the Lair Area is due to come out.

Missions are almost all repeatable

3 PvP Battlegrounds with different objectives

I'm probably missed something but you get the idea.

I may be be exaggerating, but definately "follow an arrow" tasks were big majority.   I remember some diffrent quests, like one in Church (I think?) in which I had to figure out some kind of number or page or something(It was long ago) and some others, but they were rarity.

How far into the game did you play?

Not sure what you mean by "follow the arrow" quests, there are no quest finder applications in TSW.

@ drul

Very odd choice by Funcom if that's the case as I've already mentioned.  Putting biggest strenght of their title further in the game and giving more primitive grindy stuff at the beggining.  Blows my mind really.

I think there is more than dozen of them though. I do remember playing TSW for 3 long evenings straight when I got it and mostly I was just running doing usual mmo "quests" in majority of the time.

The thing is you can customize your play by what Missions you do.

Brown Icon with a man running are Action Missions, they usually start and end with a cinematic as well as sometimes cinematics during. They tend to incorporate traditional MMO style objectives and sometimes some other elements.

Side Missions are a blue/grey icon with a box, they are usually found on the landscape and are almost always typical MMO fare

Investigation Missions are greenish Icons with a laptop, these will require some thinking as they are puzzles, some have clues in game and some you will need to work on outside the game unless you're some kind of savant. These are probably the most educational things I've ever seen in an MMO. Cinematics like Action Missions

Sabotage Missions are a yellowish Icon with a bomb on them. Cinematics as Action Missions, but the objective is covert, if you engage these Mobs on "level" you will die.

Story Missions are the light blue Icons, These tell the Main over arching storyline and can combine all of the above in the multiple Tiers of the Story Mission.

You can eliminate doing a majority of the Mission types you don't like but that will require replaying the ones you do quite extensively or mob farming. 

Not sure what you mean by "follow the arrow" quests, there are no quest finder applications in TSW.

Umm yes there are but not for all objectives and the arrows can be turned off.

Not far.  I've made introduction, spent considerable amount of time in London and then I've did I think around 2/3 of Kingsmouth.

I am not really sure what you mean by "finder applications".  What I mean by "follow the arrow" is that once you get a quest then you get an arrow pointing a direction and I think distance to where you need to go, and then when you get there and i.e. if you have to use something then this item is highlighted.  So you are literally following an arrow.   This kind of design spread like wildfire, even outside mmorpgs since World of Warcraft success.

@Spiteful

Ok, thanks.  If I will ever get an itch to try TSW again, then I'll find this post and use your advice.

Not far.  I've made introduction, spent considerable amount of time in London and then I've did I think around 2/3 of Kingsmouth.

I am not really sure what you mean by "finder applications".  What I mean by "follow the arrow" is that once you get a quest then you get an arrow pointing a direction and I think distance to where you need to go, and then when you get there and i.e. if you have to use something then this item is highlighted.  So you are literally following an arrow.   This kind of design spread like wildfire, even outside mmorpgs since World of Warcraft success.

2/3 of Kingsmouth, good to see you gave it a thorough assessment. ;)

I forgot there were quest markers (follow the arrow), they are helpful in the starter zone, IMO they hamper you in subsequent zones where getting around is a little more complicated.

It's pretty obvious you don't like where MMO's have gone, Ultima Online is available.