LOTROCommunity

GOTY Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor 40% off on Steam

Even if we look past that this game is IMO not worth buying, 30$ is not cheap at all:

https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/408-buy-key-steam-middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor/?currency=USD

Bannable offense? What do you guys think?

A warning perhaps? As a new user, LotR: SoM might seem like a relevant game to post about in here, but it should at least have been posted in the "Spotted a bargain" thread. Then there's the issues with SoM being crappy and OPs link not being a bargain at all, but meh.

Do you know what I find weird? TheOneRing.net is one of the biggest Tolkien enthusiast websites on the net and they gave SofM a good review and the majority of comments love the game. This is the same for the Hobbit films too. I really don't understand how it is just people like us who see these products for what they are; blatant lore savaging for a quick buck. Where are all the Tolkien fans who expect high standards from the franchise? Why are they accepting this rubbish and praising it? Where is the the much deserved disdain?

Do you know what I find weird? TheOneRing.net is one of the biggest Tolkien enthusiast websites on the net and they gave SofM a good review and the majority of comments love the game. This is the same for the Hobbit films too. I really don't understand how it is just people like us who see these products for what they are; blatant lore savaging for a quick buck. Where are all the Tolkien fans who expect high standards from the franchise? Why are they accepting this rubbish and praising it? Where is the the much deserved disdain?

Why are almost all recent BMWs so watered down driving-wise, although it is supposed to be a driver's car? Because people who currently in practice afford a new BMW want it that way and probably have no idea what a well-driving car is in the first place (honorable exception granted to the F01 7-series, the 2-series and the E89 Z4 which hold up the flag).

You would think that because they are so great 'fans' than they will be bigger 'purist' and more harsh, and generally not setting for bad quality or such things as blatant lore-breaks?  Wrong.  It is completly opposite actually.

Same as Star Wars fans or comic book IP fans or generally most so called "fans".    They really do want to consume products they are "fans" of, so they will generally have a positive attutude towards them.  Even if product will be viewed as 'failure" they will always try to justify it and find it's "good sides".

Related to the Tolkien lore, the game is a joke.

As a game on itself, they obliviously did a decent job and a lot of people found it fun. This is the Batman game that was canceled and so they stuck a pseudo-Tolkin skin on it.

*sarcasm on*

It seems to have been designed according to the infamous Ubisoft formula for open world games, so it has to be "good" doesn't it?

*sarcasm off*

I don't think that anyone in the industry cares for lore anymore. It is all only about money and the best formula to construct the same games over and over in different disguises. I only wait for Indy to become mainstream when they realize that people get bored by the same game over and over and find the new Indy formula they can repeat for guaranteed success...

*sarcasm on*

It seems to have been designed according to the infamous Ubisoft formula for open world games, so it has to be "good" doesn't it?

*sarcasm off*

I don't think that anyone in the industry cares for lore anymore. It is all only about money and the best formula to construct the same games over and over in different disguises. I only wait for Indy to become mainstream when they realize that people get bored by the same game over and over and find the new Indy formula they can repeat for guaranteed success...

Well at least you get to have a larger number of games based on working codebases that way.