LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Doro

Paris Magazine Shooting

Seem that the Editor in Chief is one of the dead along with 2 police officers

This is an attacked on the freedom of speech and freedom of the press that underpins our society

yep, I've seen that.

Apparently, they've tweeted satirical cartoons of Mohammed and also the ISIS leader.

From what I've heard, the cartoon about the ISIS leader was posted sometime this morning, so they're still unsure if it was done before, during or after the attack.

From what I've heard, the cartoon about the ISIS leader was posted sometime this morning, so they're still unsure if it was done before, during or after the attack.

According to the BBC live page, ISIS claimed that they would attack France this morning before the tweet, so it looks more like a coincidence

Wasn't it the president of Egypt who said last week that Islam says it needs a "revolution from within"? Sadly, it appears his words fell on deaf ears.

How come is it that if a muslim does the shooting, it's terrorism, but if some (oddly enough usually white) local does it's "a shooter".

How come is it that if a muslim does the shooting, it's terrorism, but if some (oddly enough usually white) local does it's "a shooter".

Well, if you have no fucking memory at all, I'll point you to Anders Breivik.

Funnily enough, it was domestic terrorism that was first reported.

Well, if you have no fuckin' internet at all, I'll point you to Google..... compare how many headlines refer to him as "mass murderer/killer" to how many call him a "terrorist".

Don't call bullshit without at least a basic web search.

Lol. You fail so hard.

You said "but if some(oddly enough usually white)local does it's a shooter", which I was countering with something that was done by a white local.

I don't really give a shit what he's being called by headlines, it was first described as domestic terrorism during the breaking news reports at the time(which I was following closely. Believe it or not, but I have Norweigan friends), and he was convicted of terrorism.

• Upvote 2

In the UK when we had many attacks over a long period by the IRA and UDF, they were always referred to as terrorists

I am sure that in Spain the attacks by ETA were always called terrorists attacks

As to why these attacks by muslin are called terrorists attacks, it is most likely due to the people doing the attacks being linked to terrorist organisations like ISIS or Al Qaeda

• Upvote 1

Home come some people try to sidestep the issue that some shooters are of a certain persuasion screaming Allahu Akbar in the name of a certain religion that calls for the death penalty for drawing a cartoon while other shooters don't do their shooting in the name of a certain religion?

Anybody that is willing to shoot members of the public for no reason is spreading terror and so can be labelled a terrorist. There is no question that these particular terrorists have far-east ties considering what they were yelling as they were carrying out the slaughter. There will always be people who jump to the defence of those whop are in the wrong, just as there will always be people who try and imply that the Muslim religion is completely at fault which is nonsense. People could say the same about Christians during the crusades too. You can't blanket blame a whole religion because of a few insane people. These people are terrorists and they deserve to be taken down as such. 

Here is a link of a very graphic video where you see them actually murder a wounded officer in cold blood. I aplogise if this offends and if anyone at all wants me to take the video down, please ask and I will do so. I am not sharing to sensationalize, I am simply sharing to show that these people are terrorists. 

Viewer discretion is most definitely advised. 

edit:- *Video Removed* 

"Lunatics" would be a better all-encompassing term imho.

Calling them  "terrorists" implies that they're spreading terror which gives them a "victory" what with all the attention the t-word garners these days.

"Lunatics" would be a better all-encompassing term imho.

Calling them  "terrorists" implies that they're spreading terror which gives them a "victory" what with all the attention the t-word garners these days.

The very definition of the word goes hand in hand with what these people have done.

terrorist Line breaks: ter¦ror|ist
Pronunciation: /ˈtɛrərɪst 

/
Definition of terrorist in English: NOUN
A person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims:[AS MODIFIER]: a terrorist organization

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/terrorist

They didn't like the political messages that this magazine was conveying so they attacked and killed people in cold blood. I would agree that the term "Terrorist" has become over-used in modern times, but in this case the word is the exact meaning of what they are. 

Anybody that is willing to shoot members of the public for no reason is spreading terror and so can be labelled a terrorist. There is no question that these particular terrorists have far-east ties considering what they were yelling as they were carrying out the slaughter. There will always be people who jump to the defence of those whop are in the wrong, just as there will always be people who try and imply that the Muslim religion is completely at fault which is nonsense. People could say the same about Christians during the crusades too. You can't blanket blame a whole religion because of a few insane people. These people are terrorists and they deserve to be taken down as such. 

Christianity has gone through a Reformation and an Elightenment. Islam needs to do the same. I dispute that there was "no reason" for this shooting. The shooters clearly had a reason for picking the people that were targeted. This was not a random act. I also dispute whether the beliefs are of a "few" or, rather, of a sizable minority (or even majority) of Muslims.

And here I am growing steadily more angry out our Prime Minister for talking about exports, unions with Germany and trips to the British Museum during his 'speech' on this event. Not a single shred of power in that 'man'. I wanted to turn the TV on and see that we are uniting with France to stamp out the growing Islamic extremism in the West, but instead I see a pathetic excuse for a human pussy-footing around the subject.

On a related note, the FBI are offering $5 million for information leading to the capture of certain terrorist leaders. I wonder how much they'd give to the people who would just kill them and be done with it? Sounds like a new career choice to me.

Dead or alive is the norm with wanted terrorists.

Problem is not catching and shooting the guy, it's reaching the nearest US embassy with identifiable remains without getting retaliated on, then the easy part, grabbing your millions and HIDING for a while =P

Christianity has gone through a Reformation and an Elightenment. Islam needs to do the same. I dispute that there was "no reason" for this shooting. The shooters clearly had a reason for picking the people that were targeted. This was not a random act. I also dispute whether the beliefs are of a "few" or, rather, of a sizable minority (or even majority) of Muslims.

There are of course arguments against this fact. Have you ever heard of the Westboro baptist church? They do not promote the same ideals as the majority of Christians, nor will they ever. There are many such brances of western religions too, but that doesn't mean that all Christianity based religions are bad any more than it does about Islam. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

There are of course arguments against this fact. Have you ever heard of the Westboro baptist church? They do not promote the same ideals as the majority of Christians, nor will they ever. There are many such brances of western religions too, but that doesn't mean that all Christianity based religions are bad any more than it does about Islam. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

And if the WBC is the worst Christianity has to offer in the West, it's still eons ahead of Islam. They aren't even violent, they're just assholes.

• Upvote 2

And if the WBC is the worst Christianity has to offer in the West, it's still eons ahead of Islam. They aren't even violent, they're just assholes.

I know what you are saying, but my point just simply that you can't just outright blame a whole religion for the acts of a few. There are horrible people on all sides of the fence, not just on one. 

As the old saying goes, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. 

I know what you are saying, but my point just simply that you can't just outright blame a whole religion for the acts of a few. There are horrible people on all sides of the fence, not just on one. 

As the old saying goes, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

True, but you can blame the religion for what it preaches. And it definitely preaches death to all those who oppose them.

• Upvote 1

True, but you can blame the religion for what it preaches. And it definitely preaches death to all those who oppose them.

I will have to take your word for that Doro, since I have never studied the Qur'an in full. I have had some (very) limited study, and all I can say is that messages I have seen promote peace. There are people who twist the meanings into what they want them to mean, but the same can be said of the bible too. Countless people have died because of both books, and there will be countless more too. Religion will always be a source of power and control, whether that be on mass or on small scale and there will always be people who use Religion as a catalyst for their own personal gains, no matter what it involves to get there.