Rowan leaves...

Danys

Today, 11:51 AM#1
user-offline.pngExecutive Producer

The Lord of the Rings Online™

Join Date Jan 2007 Posts 296
An Update from Rowan

Hello LOTRO!

After eight years, five expansions, and one free-to-play transition, the time has come for me to Sail to the West. More accurately, I’m moving thirty feet down the hall to start a new project at Turbine. With that, I’m leaving you in the very capable hands of another Turbine veteran – Executive Producer Athena Peters.

LOTRO has been at the center of my professional and personal life for many years now, including my almost annual pilgrimage to Germany to speak to our players at gamescom. In this year I believe we’ve done a great job of focusing on what you, the players, would like to see the game. We’ve listened to you and changed our plans – the most significant change was probably pulling a level cap out of Update 15. In the next year you’ll see a continued drive to deliver great story content and an authentic world, but you’ll also need new investment in group challenges and content. Even after almost eight years, the LOTRO team continues to grow and adapt Middle-earth.

Frelorn will be posting Athena's Producers Letter soon with her vision for the coming year. 

Time does not tarry ever ... but change and growth is not in all things and places alike.

Rowan

Executive Producer

The Lord of the Rings Online™

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?562260-An-Update-from-Rowan&p=7295952#post7295952

I hate being a skeptic, but to me, this is screaming bad news.

So much for the second coming of Jesus, according to those who ardently believed changing the EP would vastly improve LotRO.

Agree. With the current investment in the game, I would say it's completely irrelevant who the EP is. He could have been a total genius for all I care (and so could be Athena), but this offers little comfort since the game was still deteriorating. Practical value from a good EP: none.

Take a look at that line:

We’ve listened to you and changed our plans – the most significant change was probably pulling a level cap out of Update 15.

Translation: The biggest thing we've achieved for an entire year was to not implement something you told us is bullshit.

When things like that are said officially and with a proud bump on the chest, even the most hardcore fanboi will face seriously challenging time to convince me this game is seeing any development more than precisely zero.

• Upvote 3

Agree. With the current investment in the game, I would say it's completely irrelevant who the EP is. He could have been a total genius for all I care (and so could be Athena), but this offers little comfort since the game was still deteriorating. Practical value from a good EP: none.

Take a look at that line:

Translation: The biggest thing we've achieved for an entire year was to not implement something you told us is bullshit.

When things like that are said officially and with a proud bump on the chest, even the most hardcore fanboi will face seriously challenging time to convince me this game is seeing any development more than precisely zero.

The other translation to take from that is "When we realized that we couldn't provide enough quests to get you to level 100, we knew there was no way in hell to provide enough quests to get you to 105 unless we put the "welcome back weekend" buff on permanently.  Also, that would make our lack of new crafting recipes even more glaringly obvious."

• Upvote 2

"Start a new project". Hmmm...

I get the new producer is wearing two hats. With no budget there isn't much to do except signing layoff letters, no?

mobile game, 2016 tie-in to one of Warners scheduled (Super-hero/Harry Potter) franchises slotted to release.  that is if it hopes to have any impact release relevance whatsoever.  otherwise, blowing more smoke.

and i do believe Athena Peters is straddling both LoTRO & DDO franchises, so of all those bullet talking points seem egregiously ambitious.

and i would not be surprised of news of more layoffs as early as the first quarter.

only point that stuck out for me was the mention of EU servers relocating back to EU.  as currently, i think only Infinite Crisis has a base in the EU (used to have a Russian host as well, but that is gone.)  so perhaps the hosting situation merits moving EU lotro back?

which again has me leaning to some internal agreements being reached, for a "maintained" game, beyond the stories conclusion & development ends.  but even that seems a bit stretched.

The other translation to take from that is "When we realized that we couldn't provide enough quests to get you to level 100, we knew there was no way in hell to provide enough quests to get you to 105 unless we put the "welcome back weekend" buff on permanently.  Also, that would make our lack of new crafting recipes even more glaringly obvious."

Probably. So, 'we listened' is coupled with 'we couldn't'; 1 bullet -> 2 rabbits. Who says Turbine isn't smart?