LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

Producer's Letter

I've been saying for awhile now that one of the biggest mistakes Turbine has made is to stop producing all instanced content (lumping everything under "raids"), and that they needed to focus more on 6-person content (I've never been a huge fan of 3-person content; I think the designs tend to lock certain classes, especially support classes, out of the instances). I think 6-person instances can also straddle that line - T1 for casual players; T2 for the more hardcore. I also think they should add a 4-person variation of the 3-person instances already in game.

Yep, the 3 mans should have been 4 man's from the start. They could have done so much more that way.

I'n starting to think that essence upgrades are going to be the new leveling mechanism; that is, you'll need to grind for new more powerful essences to be able to complete the new content, even though the character will stay the same.

They're obviously abandoning the traditional "quests for level advancement" concept and just going with "Here, new stuff for you to do, you're welcome".

I'd be really surprised if there are any new crafting guild recipes this year, so add crafting to the list of abandoned systems.

I'm not a fan of this system. It's been a looooooooooong time since I've felt like I'm advancing my character in anyway....and when I mean a long time, I mean since level 65, before RoI, when I completed all the class quests, class deeds, and racial deeds, and legendary skills. I've also done pretty much all the slayer/exploration deeds, and am max rep with every faction. Crafting is also maxed out. What is left to do? Grind for a First Ager? Grind for essences and essence gear? Gain a couple more levels on my Warsteed? There just doesn't seem to be a point. 

I haven't logged in on my main in ages. I have been leveling a Beorning, but I get frustrated because I know I'll get to endgame and just stand around.

From

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?562265-Official-2015-Producer-s-Letter&p=7296610#post7296610

Yup. This seems like another Helm's Deep. Nothing for solo players except a small new area, and despite the pandering to groupers, they won't like it because it doesn't have raids which is all they seem to care about.

_O-

At first i thought jeremy got a new forum handle and then boom he replied.

Other than that I am glad they plan to make some group content, however beyond having interesting instances they need to get itemization right (T1 progress to T2) and take the random loot out of group instances too.

As always it is probably too little too late and will be released in a half finished way.

Wait what? Just like Helms Deep, nothing for solo players?

Is this some sort of irony or sarcasm that is lost on me? Wasnt Helms Deep pretty much only solo stuff?

trancejeremy is pretty lame indeed. ALL of Helm's Deep is very easily soloable. ALL the Epic Battles have a solo version where, if you're good enough, you can get ALL the rewards. His statements are often so outlandish I wonder if he's putting us on.

I... that's...

Would someone just make Fredelas the exec producer already?

trancejeremy is pretty lame indeed. ALL of Helm's Deep is very easily soloable. ALL the Epic Battles have a solo version where, if you're good enough, you can get ALL the rewards. His statements are often so outlandish I wonder if he's putting us on.

No, he's for real. He was like this in City of Heroes, he posts like this at MMORPG.com, and someone here ascertained that he has the exact same complaints in SWTOR.

He posted a video of his 65-ish Champ riding through a bunch of mobs, dismounting, and then getting wasted by the group of mobs he trawled up. He exhibited horrible positioning, and...Drumroll...Only had one single skill bar showing on his UI. At level 65. One skill bar.

No, he's for real. He was like this in City of Heroes, he posts like this at MMORPG.com, and someone here ascertained that he has the exact same complaints in SWTOR.

He posted a video of his 65-ish Champ riding through a bunch of mobs, dismounting, and then getting wasted by the group of mobs he trawled up. He exhibited horrible positioning, and...Drumroll...Only had one single skill bar showing on his UI. At level 65. One skill bar.

Verified.  Also witnessed his posting in CoH.  He hasn't changed one iota.

I've been saying for awhile now that one of the biggest mistakes Turbine has made is to stop producing all instanced content (lumping everything under "raids"), and that they needed to focus more on 6-person content (I've never been a huge fan of 3-person content; I think the designs tend to lock certain classes, especially support classes, out of the instances). I think 6-person instances can also straddle that line - T1 for casual players; T2 for the more hardcore. I also think they should add a 4-person variation of the 3-person instances already in game.

I actually like the 3 man's because it makes you think outside the box, any combination of classes can do any 3 man, you just have to use your head. The fastest and easiest 3 man I ran was with 2 Hunters and a Cappy, healing and tanking.

EDIT: With the skill changes that might prove to be un-doable now.

...Drumroll...Only had one single skill bar showing on his UI. At level 65. One skill bar.

LOL, I had a kinmate that had a Champ and every time we asked him to use a required skill in a raid he would say he hadn't bought it yet, this was back in Moria when you still had to buy skills. I finally asked him privately if he was low on gold and offered to give him some to purchase the skills. He said, no, I have over 200 gold, but I only have room for 10 skills on my toolbar. I educated him on adding toolbars, he was still a complete idiot and liablity in raids so I booted his ass 2 weeks later.

Geez... even hunters need more than one skill bar O.o

If they do they're doing it wrong  :Y

• Upvote 1

Btw, didn't they mess up a sword again this time :P?

lotro_producersletter_en_0.jpg

Andurils blade looks a bit skewed, albeit nowhere as bad as what we saw i Helms Derp :P:

nKC4vsj.jpg

I actually like the 3 man's because it makes you think outside the box, any combination of classes can do any 3 man, you just have to use your head. The fastest and easiest 3 man I ran was with 2 Hunters and a Cappy, healing and tanking.

EDIT: With the skill changes that might prove to be un-doable now.

Other then the initial curiosity factor, if they don't change loot.. it's all meaningless.

Rewarding players for effort and difficulty needs to be reinstated.

Sadly there is nothing in this letter about Itemization.. again.

You need bars for your taxi skills

Finesse arrow, one or two of the CC skills, the AoE because raid leaders hate when you misuse it, so adding that extra "shift" key helps, and those self-buffs.  Also kept my potions there.

Bear in mind that was up to RoI.  If half the attacks were removed, then yeah I can see a single bar doing the job.

Well honestly with addons you don't really need any bars showing all the time, and certainly not more than one. I'm guessing that wasn't the deal though.

Other then the initial curiosity factor, if they don't change loot.. it's all meaningless.

Sadly there is nothing in this letter about Itemization.. again.

She said something about Itemization in a later post but it was the same old "we're always looking at it". I think they are really just out of touch/confused on what to do.

You need bars for your taxi skills

I never used bars for those skills on my hunter, I saw them as a waste of space to be honest. When I needed to travel I just brought up the skills panel and clicked the one I wanted to use. Literally takes a few seconds to do. I was the same with most LM pets too. I would slot a few that were needed and leave the rest in the skill panel. When people feel the need to have them all up at the same time I just laugh, but then I suppose they needed to try and "prove" there was a skill bloat didn't they? 

edit:- I'd imagine those people struggle even more now there are a million and one useless cosmetic pets to waste skillbar space too. Turbine better hurry up and nerf the classes some more to make room for the pets. 

We have decided to totally rework the classes in order to facilitate future non-development and to reduce Pet-Bloat. 

TSW's Letter is out so at least I have some definite non fiction to read  :)

• Upvote 1

We have decided to totally rework the classes in order to facilitate future non-development and to reduce Pet-Bloat. 

I would genuinely not be surprised if they did this at some point before the end. 

I never used bars for those skills on my hunter, I saw them as a waste of space to be honest. When I needed to travel I just brought up the skills panel and clicked the one I wanted to use. Literally takes a few seconds to do. I was the same with most LM pets too. I would slot a few that were needed and leave the rest in the skill panel. When people feel the need to have them all up at the same time I just laugh, but then I suppose they needed to try and "prove" there was a skill bloat didn't they?

edit:- I'd imagine those people struggle even more now there are a million and one useless cosmetic pets to waste skillbar space too. Turbine better hurry up and nerf the classes some more to make room for the pets.

Not sure if you played after RoR but you can now have basically 3 sets of hotbars. Usually one is for normal action and one for mounted combat. The third set is usually blank. I put all my travel skills on that third hotbar setting in the order I wanted and found it very convenient. I also put every /emote that has a hidden deed attached on the third hotbar with room to spare.

That seems to be a growing problem in games today.  I'm not sure if it is going the way of the dodo bird or if they'll come up with a new solution.

I guess moving the servers back to the EU is a good sign the game may not be in its last throes after all? I wonder if thru wanted some investment so are having another Codies type relationship again? Could Codemasters be coming back?