LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
INTELLIGENCE

Another sign of F2P perhaps?

Whether it's millions or not it simply has to be a significant number of accounts otherwise they would not be changing to buy to play.

It's all well and good people voting that they dislike buy to play, but what it really comes down to is sustainable income for the company, and if the subscription model isn't sustaining a high enough level of income and the money counters say that buy to play will then that's exactly how they will choose, not some random poll on their forum.

I know that the poll will do nothing andro and have said such too in my postings. 

Whether it's millions or not it simply has to be a significant number of accounts otherwise they would not be changing to buy to play.

It's all well and good people voting that they dislike buy to play, but what it really comes down to is sustainable income for the company, and if the subscription model isn't sustaining a high enough level of income and the money counters say that buy to play will then that's exactly how they will choose, not some random poll on their forum.

I think that's exactly what it is. Console players are used to buying a game and then walking away, much more in line than paying a monthly sub. I think the income from console players will be increased many fold with a B2P model as aopposed to a P2P model.

Yeah, this. OF poll is completely useless. In fact, one could go so far as to say a significant number of those who quit and took their money with them would be voting 'yes'. So maybe someone can dig up estimated numbers of lost subs since ESO opened. :P

All I was doing was trying to show what the general feeling is from what I have seen in the CURENT playerbase. I have said that in this thread a few posts back. I do not expect things to change, I don't care - as I have said, when my sub is up I will be opting out for good. 

I'll stop posting them. It seems people think I am trying to start a riot or something, i'm not. I know from what I have seen that from the current people playing that I am not in the minority of how this feels. 

It could just be the US prime time crowd, or.......lets blame it on the Aussies. >.> ;)

Also, I play US prime time most nights - I go to bed most mornings at 10am my time lol

It seems people think I am trying to start a riot or something

No we don't mate, we're just discussing it, we're not specifically calling you out, just discussing the topic, don't be so sensitive.

No we don't mate, we're just discussing it, we're not specifically calling you out, just discussing the topic, don't be so sensitive.

Personally I will be checking it to see how many people do vote and what the general consensus is once the majority of NA players are up and about too, but then I am curious about the community of the game I currently play. 

INT, when LotRO and Rift went with their respective F2P models, I'm pretty sure never more than half of remaining players expressed either positive/neutral outlook on the OF, and most had doubts/dislike. Such polls are biased two ways, basically, and thus meaningless. It's not like I think you're trying to incite a riot or something, but rather your point about the 'current' players wasn't a point. ;)

Yeah, the voting seems kinda one-sided. Currently, the people voting are the people paying to play. And, dare I say it, they seem a fairly snobbish breed. Not wanting to open the doors for fear of being swarmed with the 'scum' of the gaming world. The freeloaders who won't pay the monthly payment demand, coming over with all their caravans, filthy children and habit of littering.

After all, what other reason would they have to fear B2P? It would be cheaper for them, they still have the sub option and some more populated worlds can be had. All I remember from when LotRO went F2P was that I was concerned with a dwindling quality/quantity of content and being fucked over as a Lifer (both of which happened). But neither of those would have been avoided without F2P. It would have died out anyway, with no way to harpoon the whales.

INT, when LotRO and Rift went with their respective F2P models, I'm pretty sure never more than half of remaining players expressed either positive/neutral outlook on the OF, and most had doubts/dislike.

Again, read my previous posts - I said that in one of them. Don't worry - I'll stop 

Yeah, the voting seems kinda one-sided. Currently, the people voting are the people paying to play. And, dare I say it, they seem a fairly snobbish breed. Not wanting to open the doors for fear of being swarmed with the 'scum' of the gaming world. The freeloaders who won't pay the monthly payment demand, coming over with all their caravans, filthy children and habit of littering.

After all, what other reason would they have to fear B2P? It would be cheaper for them, they still have the sub option and some more populated worlds can be had. All I remember from when LotRO went F2P was that I was concerned with a dwindling quality/quantity of content and being fucked over as a Lifer (both of which happened). But neither of those would have been avoided without F2P. It would have died out anyway, with no way to harpoon the whales.

Snobby or not we are a demographic of fans who will now look elsewhere. People talking about the players that have already left, we will join them. Again, we will be replaced (as I have said) but my view is that the community will suffer. 

Was about to give ESO another try.

Looks very like what happened to Lotro.

Lotro we had Turbine points, ESO we have crowns.

What is ESO Plus?

ESO Plus is an optional premium membership offered to players with the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. ESO Plus memberships will be offered in 30-, 90-, and 180-day durations.

What are the benefits of ESO Plus membership?

ESO Plus offers members exclusive in-game bonuses, a reoccurring allotment of crowns and access to all downloadable content (DLC) game packs for the duration of membership:

30-day Membership:

1500 crowns at the start of each 30-day membership period

Access to all downloadable content for the duration of membership

Exclusive character progression bonuses for the duration of membership

10% bonus to experience point gain

10% bonus to crafting research

10% bonus to crafting inspiration gain

10% bonus to gold acquisition

90-day Membership:

4500 crowns at the start of each 90-day membership period

180-day Membership:

9000 crowns at the start of each 180-day membership period

Time will tell as to whether they wreck the game with their shop or just compliment it. Based on previous experiences, I have my doubts, but will hold my breath on the offchance :)

Just like GW2? Oh wait, they never went fremium. B2P did not go away for GW2.

Why would ESO not  want tokeep making money from the initial purchase. How did going B2P suddenly become totally free. I don't think so. ESO is not setting up a highly monetized model like Lotro has. Lotro wants players to start free and then spend. GW2 knows they have a good game and people will still pay the initial $20-40.

Just like Defiance that also stayed B2P?  Oh wait, they went freemium.

What happened to an other selected title is not an argument. 

I just have an opinion that they will go from B2P to Freemium in future after box/code sales will drop  and they will drop game purcharse as requirement, keeping newest areas/content patches as paid DLCs/expansions.

Snobby or not we are a demographic of fans who will now look elsewhere. People talking about the players that have already left, we will join them. Again, we will be replaced (as I have said) but my view is that the community will suffer. 

Actually, most of the ones voting against B2P will continue playing, people fear change so are usually against it. Now people that are adamant about the change to B2P should cancel their subs today, uninstall whether they have play time left or not if they really want to send a messsage to Zenimax. The majority of people that have already left will return, there will be new players such as Doro, and new console players.

Actually, most of the ones voting against B2P will continue playing, people fear change so are usually against it. Now people that are adamant about the change to B2P should cancel their subs today, uninstall whether they have play time left or not if they really want to send a messsage to Zenimax. The majority of people that have already left will return, there will be new players such as Doro, and new console players.

As I said, the people who leave (like me and my friends) will be replaced, i'm not saying the game will die or that their playerbase will dwindle. 

In the big picture, I just wonder how many games can remain sub-based.

It's so interesting that other industries move to subscription SAS while MMO gaming is moving away?

WoW is where it's at. /nod

Pretty much.  At least I know that there's nothing in there that I personally consider Pay 2 win.  Can't say that about 'any' other F2P or B2P game that I've played.

Are there separate servers or will PC players be forced to hang with the unwashed console masses?

Did they say what will happen to the PC user interface? Will they dumb it down so that it is fair?