LOTROCommunity

Dev posts regarding population consolidation

LasraelLarson

Sounds like standard operating procedure at Turbine: over-promise, under-deliver, and feed the community whatever transparently dishonest bullshit comes to mind.

And claim they asked for it.

Also, highly populated worlds? Those exist with the game? Really?

SNy

the goalposts have indeed shifted dramatically to what is considered to be "High"

i can recall when Nimrodel had the population numbers Brandywine currently has & the best we could muster for a label, was "Medium."

and as long as definition goalposts can be shifted at whim...  there is no point even attempting to argue, as the endeavor is fruitless.

benchmarker concurrency is only for companies like Riot & BLIZZARD (or a Valve product) i guess. 

Turbine wouldn't know how to design and maintain a proper database if their life depended on it, which unfortunately it does. I've never heard so many lame ass excuses for why they can't do something, like they don't have ANY people working for them who understand basic design and structure. Which is probably the case, cheap idiots wouldn't spend money on a proper admin for that, probably bought something pre-made and tried to cook it to meet their needs, ending up with this mess they can't manage properly.

• 2 weeks later...

the latest:

Vyvyanne     Thursday March 19  2015   12:37 PM

Executive Producer

So I will answer this question. Part of the delay is that we are doing a multistage move of servers from the Boston area to a location in New Jersey for our US servers and from Boston to Amsterdam for the EU servers. This is not just a new location but new hardware, new transfer service, OS upgrades, etc. A LOT of work  And it is not just LOTRO getting this treatment, thus the delays as Turbine level teams handle the gigantic move.

In the meantime the LOTRO specific team is focusing on completing Update 16 and getting it into beta in the next few weeks.

So while we focus on that release and give the other teams a chance to move through more of the set-up work where will probably be little new info on the transfers. Once U16 is shipped we will be closer to testing the new transfer features and able to give this effort our full attention as well as give you more regular updates and details as they shake out.

Thank you for understanding,

Vyvyanne[hr]

"it is not just LOTRO getting this treatment..."

well since EU Infinite Crisis is already in Amsterdam, i guess they are also moving to the new NJ host?  DDO as well?  i can't find a mention from those forums.

regardless, U16 is due the end of April, so hopefully early May they will start cracking the whip on opening up the new transfer features.  or at least start narrowing the target server list...

so Darmokk, what is the word on New Jersey infrastructure?  is it as shit as Boston?  ;)

with EU returning to EU, i was hoping they'd get the fuck OFF the East Coast!  but seems like no.

so Darmokk, what is the word on New Jersey infrastructure?  is it as shit as Boston?  ;)

with EU returning to EU, i was hoping they'd get the fuck OFF the East Coast!  but seems like no.

Dunno. My old employer went very far away from Boston with the DCs after ... issues. I don't think I have any first-hand knowledge of any NJ hoster.

Why in the world wouldn't they move the game servers to Amazon EC2, anyway?

NJ will have very fast connections to major cities in the world. What New Jersey means is a hub that is right across the river from New York City - which of course has very fast connections to other parts of the world.

that may be so, but with an Amsterdam host taking care of the TransAtlantic/EU side of things...  they could have aimed for something more central...  but whatever.  ;)

as long as this isn't a big smoke screen and actually happens, i think all else scheduled for 2015 comes a distant second place comparatively.

Vyvyanne  March 20  2015    04:34 PM

Executive Producer

"Can transfer system and server build out be separated?"

Yes, they can. However the new hardware and location will be better set up to handle increased numbers, thus we do not want to encourage a large migration with the new transfer system until that hardware is in place and ready to go. And for those saying do this before Update 16, the hardware build out is a team that does not touch game code. Delaying 16 would do nothing to speed up the process of the build out.

"Update 16 is getting ready fr launch but no public discussion about PvMP has occurred"

Correct. The PvMP improvements are not part of Update 16, they will come after.[hr]

I get a kick out of how some people seem to really believe that there is like literally 3 people doing everything from art to server maintenance.

I know you're an artist but hey can you write this 10,000 lines of code too, oh yea and the men's bathroom needs mopping.

I get a kick out of how some people seem to really believe that there is like literally 3 people doing everything from art to server maintenance.

To be perfectly honest, Turbine has, and appears to continue to, made just about every indication of having only a handful of people left that actually do stuff for any given game.

SNy

I know you're an artist but hey can you write this 10,000 lines of code too, oh yea and the men's bathroom needs mopping.

Correct, as I recall they had at least 4 desks.

You would be surprised how much code a programmer can make from enough caffeine when he/she isn't slowed down by QA or other secondary concerns such as whether it actually works.

The less knowledge there is in the person in play about the broader environment of the system the faster the coding is. You always start having second thoughts about other things breaking when messing with one thing, so it is better to only concentrate on one thing by hiring somebody new and only showing him or her the one thing.

Very close you are

to the truth. But also don't forget

that there's a dog.

Usually Dev Houses like Turbine, small, limited resources, multiple titles, set themselves up with a small dedicated team per title. They handle the story line, classes etc. things that are specific to that title. They are the "face" of that title. They're also the ones that shrink both first and most noticeably.

Then there are the shared teams, art, systems, etc. Jobs that easily share between titles. These are the people players rarely if ever interact with. At this point the shred teams may have been integrated into a centralized WB. And while those teams get reduced also, their time and work is spread across titles and not interchangeable in general.

A Class Dev can fill in for a Quest Dev fairly easily, an artist isn't likely to be up to dealing with server maintenance. It's easier to cut the Quest or Class Dev than the Artist or the Server Tech. One set can replace the other the other set can not, also 1 set has a direct and total resource cost/benefit to one specific title while the other set has their cost/benefit applied across all titles.

Obviously there aren't as many people at Turbine as before, but honestly the entire notion that a couple of people are doing everything at Turbine is just hilarious

It's like saying there's only a handful of people working at the Whitehouse, it's common sense that there are people who aren't mentioned working there, unless one honestly thinks that the Rose Garden Grounds Keeper is actually also the Press Secretary, Cook, Legal Council and Security Agent.

But again it is a comment from the OF's so I'm not surprised.

I think it's not really important to go in pedantic mode and mention every "janitor" and "porter" at Turbine. Obviously those are valid and needed jobs that are part of the company as a working system.

The point is that the number of people involved in developing LOTRO in particular --and not every Turbine dev now making farmvilles for iphones-- are perhaps really just a few. Plus-minus a few :)

I think Aylwen mentioned somewhere in the thread the fate of the (dedicated) AC team and their size. LOTRO is probably not that bad, but approaching.

I don't think everyone needs to be mentioned, just that I get a kick out of people who find it a mystery that different teams work on different things and postponing development doesn't speed up server work or vice versa. Or that because they only know of a few people that those people do everything.

I find it even more hilarious that people get defensive that I find it funny, 

I don't think everyone needs to be mentioned, just that I get a kick out of people who find it a mystery that different teams work on different things and postponing development doesn't speed up server work or vice versa. Or that because they only know of a few people that those people do everything.

I find it even more hilarious that people get defensive that I find it funny, 

Except of course people took objection with was a completely different statement than the one you just now presented. None of the replies indicated the believe that "literally three people do everything", nor that there aren't different teams responsible for different things.

That you chose to label the objections to the original silly statement in the particular way you did says a lot more about you than it does about those replying.

SNy

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...

just in case anyone is wondering why i haven't added to this thread...  i am not really interested in regurgitating hot air.

if actual new information is added like:

- recommended server list.

- date free transfers start

- anything other than what might happen, etc. etc.

i'll bother to update.  until then:

https://www.lotro.com/en/forums/post_tracker.php?tracker=devtracker