LOTROCommunity

is this council member correct & currently housing is at a premium?

i have seen this player state the following:

2014 Council Member

either we have 2 different ideas of what "premium" means, or very recently (like last couple days) people have been buying up housing again?

in my recent snooping, i have not seen a lack of housing, rather the reverse.

due to the changes with defaulting on upkeep, housing no longer stays locked indefinitely.  once your upkeep runs out, you have a 2 week grace period, which if expired, all your housing items are transferred to escrow and the house goes back on the market.

due to the vast amounts of dormant accounts/characters, this has actually created a glut of availability as dormant accounts holding properties have had those homes returned to the market.

in all my queries, there were ample homes available (even deluxe) on every server.  even on Brandywine.

since i do not desire to post on the official forum, i'll just ask Beaniemooch, (or anyone for that matter...)

where is it you see a shortage of homes?  what server & which homestead?

With the change to Kin member requirements gone Kin Houses are probably hard to get, esp the highly sought after address'. Certain address' for regular/deluxe housing was likely bought up after the "abandoned" change. I know several of my kin members snapped up highly sought after houses when they became available and I'm sure they weren't the only ones.

I know a couple of kins went after making Kin neighborhoods, though I don't know how that panned out.

I know my neighborhood on Brandywine is a dead zone.  I own 1 kin house and 1 deluxe house there and my friend/kinmate owns one deluxe house there.  There's only like 2 other people in the neighborhood.   It used to be completely packed.

Sooo many people have stopped playing.  So depressing.

• Upvote 1

With the change to Kin member requirements gone Kin Houses are probably hard to get, esp the highly sought after address'. Certain address' for regular/deluxe housing was likely bought up after the "abandoned" change. I know several of my kin members snapped up highly sought after houses when they became available and I'm sure they weren't the only ones.

I know a couple of kins went after making Kin neighborhoods, though I don't know how that panned out.

OK, just for reference...  i just logged on to Landroval & checked one homestead.

the Shire homesteads:

Deluxe homes available: 881

Kinship houses available:  431

and that is just one homestead and there was the odd neighborhood that had little choice, but overwhelmingly there was ample availability & even a few neighborhoods that were close to utterly empty.  this is on the once large [Role-play Encouraged] USA server...

this was 10 PM PST Jan 29, 2015.  and Global showed 321 non anon players online.

lotro-population-landroval.png

and i witnesses something similar on Brandywine when i checked a couple weeks back.

so again, where do i need to look?  because from my casual snooping, there is plenty of availability.

now that dormant tenants who default on their rent have their items moved to escrow & the house is put back on the market, there aren't any issues with housing, that i am aware of.  ALL the servers i have checked have these large surpluses of vacancies.

Isn't Beaniemooch one who insists everything is fine in Lotroland? That's not the kind of player you ever take seriously...

no she (or he) is not like that at all.

i think they actually haven't checked and are basing that opinion on an assumption.

back when a dormant player defaulted on their upkeep, you'd literally have whole neighborhoods of homes in lock-out.  abandoned, but sitting there, in some cases since the inception of the game back in 2007.

and prior to the change, there was a shortage on every server due to the massive amounts of homes tied down by folk who no longer played.

once they started kicking inactive renters who defaulted on their upkeep, there was a surplus of availability...  EVERYWHERE.

OK, just for reference...  i just logged on to Landroval & checked one homestead.

the Shire homesteads:

Deluxe homes available: 881

Kinship houses available:  431

and that is just one homestead and there was the odd neighborhood that had little choice, but overwhelmingly there was ample availability & even a few neighborhoods that were close to utterly empty.  this is on the once large [Role-play Encouraged] USA server...

this was 10 PM PST Jan 29, 2015.  and Global showed 321 non anon players online.

lotro-population-landroval.png

and i witnesses something similar on Brandywine when i checked a couple weeks back.

so again, where do i need to look?  because from my casual snooping, there is plenty of availability.

now that dormant tenants who default on their rent have their items moved to escrow & the house is put back on the market, there aren't any issues with housing, that i am aware of.  ALL the servers i have checked have these large surpluses of vacancies.

That kind of surprises me, but then I haven't really been in game for a while other than a quick log-in every couple of weeks. I actually though about logging in just to look at the housing situation but decided it really wasn't worth my time currently. I wonder if Bree and Elvish is that empty too, I'm sure Dwarves are.

The Houses don't surprise me as much as the kinhalls.

Thanks for the insight.

That kind of surprises me, but then I haven't really been in game for a while other than a quick log-in every couple of weeks. I actually though about logging in just to look at the housing situation but decided it really wasn't worth my time currently. I wonder if Bree and Elvish is that empty too, I'm sure Dwarves are.

The Houses don't surprise me as much as the kinhalls.

Thanks for the insight.

OK, just checked both Falathalorn & Breeland homesteads on Landroval & whilst i did not tally each listing, (that actually isn't an easy task when you have numbers in the multiple hundreds) i can confidently say they are both in similar availability situations to the Shire.

i did not check Thorins, but you are correct that it is notoriously less active than the other 3.  unless there is an anomalous server, that goes against the trends, you can pretty much bank on Thorins having the most home listings available for purchase.

OK, just checked both Falathalorn & Breeland homesteads on Landroval & whilst i did not tally each listing, (that actually isn't an easy task when you have numbers in the multiple hundreds) i can confidently say they are both in similar availability situations to the Shire.

i did not check Thorins, but you are correct that it is notoriously less active than the other 3.  unless there is an anomalous server, that goes against the trends, you can pretty much bank on Thorins having the most home listings available for purchase.

Hmm I wonder what Beanie's talking about then, he's on Gladden which according to numbers here put the population at ~1% more than Landy, Between Landy being the RP Server of the two and such a close population count, it doesn't seem like there could be such a huge disparity in available housing. One would expect even more empty housing on Glad.

Now that this has come up I wish we had numbers from before the Housing Update was officially canceled and after. If the numbers were close before and after maybe it was the correct decision not to pursue a Housing Update. OTOH I know a few players where no Update was the last straw, my wife being one of those.

Anyone happen to recall when Housing was announced to be a no go compared to when the Abandoned Housing was implemented? It would be interesting to see how the numbers changed in the neighborhoods as changes and announcements happened, though it's not possible now.

Hmm I wonder what Beanie's talking about then, he's on Gladden which according to numbers here put the population at ~1% more than Landy, Between Landy being the RP Server of the two and such a close population count, it doesn't seem like there could be such a huge disparity in available housing. One would expect even more empty housing on Glad.

just checked the Breeland & Shire homesteads on Gladden.  & there is ample availability there as well, sorry no actual count, but it is also easily in the multiple hundreds again.

perhaps that extended period when Gladden was recommended, all those new players bought housing?  but the numbers of available for purchase homes i saw, doesn't seem to indicate that.  at least not to the point where i would describe the home availability as "at a premium." 

Now that this has come up I wish we had numbers from before the Housing Update was officially canceled and after. If the numbers were close before and after maybe it was the correct decision not to pursue a Housing Update. OTOH I know a few players where no Update was the last straw, my wife being one of those.

Anyone happen to recall when Housing was announced to be a no go compared to when the Abandoned Housing was implemented? It would be interesting to see how the numbers changed in the neighborhoods as changes and announcements happened, though it's not possible now.

that i can't help you with as it has been this ongoing carrot><stick routine that i can't recall a specific time when something about housing wasn't being floated about, & then pushed off.

The numbers in what? In using housing, or in game population? Actually, it is unlikely that either of these changed drastically at any point of any announcement related to housing.

People still playing the game are apparently there for other reasons, as features more important than housing are broken. Furthermore, nearly everyone playing actively will have a house - to say the least it's more storage place, while acquiring and maintaining it is trivial due to inflation of the gold since RoI and afterwards.

I don't know what 'at a premium' actually means in this case. Housing was a fully occupied ghost town before the rules change, and it became a non-occupied ghost town after it. I don't think the 'no housing revamp' announcement shifted the picture (the housing numbers) in any significant manner. The game pop numbers can be tracked (at least as a tendency) and there is no shift there either.

no she (or he) is not like that at all.

i think they actually haven't checked and are basing that opinion on an assumption.

back when a dormant player defaulted on their upkeep, you'd literally have whole neighborhoods of homes in lock-out.  abandoned, but sitting there, in some cases since the inception of the game back in 2007.

and prior to the change, there was a shortage on every server due to the massive amounts of homes tied down by folk who no longer played.

once they started kicking inactive renters who defaulted on their upkeep, there was a surplus of availability...  EVERYWHERE.

Gotcha, stand corrected. I had forgotten about the kinship change, but surely the abandonment change (which was such a big deal) negates that potential. Actually, both taken together proves without a doubt just how far the populations fell. It really wouldn't be hard for someone to check the neighborhoods on their server, so that player must be working off old information--Turbine will just ignore the request anyway.

A housing update (overhaul) wouldn't be worth pursuing if neighborhoods can be shown as mostly empty now, so I guess the real question is whether people would return to the game just for that (and how heavily Turbine would monetize it). Doubtful that would help now. It seems to me that kind of resource investment is best done when you still have a healthy population.

I know my neighborhood on Brandywood is a dead zone.  I own 1 kin house and 1 deluxe house there and my friend/kinmate owns one deluxe house there.  There's only like 2 other people in the neighborhood.   It used to be completely packed.

Sooo many people have stopped playing.  So depressing.

And isn't Brandywine one of the most crowded servers?  That's pretty eye-opening.  

I don't know why Beanie said that, that's a kindof rare slip-up on his/her part.

I don't know why Beanie said that, that's a kindof rare slip-up on his/her part.

Probably just had no idea, and was going off information when it was very hard to get housing on Brandywine. Clearly very wrong in this case, since housing is available on every server. Which completely makes sense, since so much opened up, and so many players have left the game.

The numbers in what? In using housing, or in game population? Actually, it is unlikely that either of these changed drastically at any point of any announcement related to housing.

People still playing the game are apparently there for other reasons, as features more important than housing are broken. Furthermore, nearly everyone playing actively will have a house - to say the least it's more storage place, while acquiring and maintaining it is trivial due to inflation of the gold since RoI and afterwards.

I don't know what 'at a premium' actually means in this case. Housing was a fully occupied ghost town before the rules change, and it became a non-occupied ghost town after it. I don't think the 'no housing revamp' announcement shifted the picture (the housing numbers) in any significant manner. The game pop numbers can be tracked (at least as a tendency) and there is no shift there either.

Housing, Population isn't in question. Housing could have taken a large hit after the official announcement with no decrease in population as people who had bought up housing after the Abandonment Rule was put into place as people just let their extra houses go. 

I'm pretty sure but not positive that Abandonment was a pre-cursor to the cancellation of the Update. As I recall many players I know were checking daily during the grace period and buying houses on F2P accounts in anticipation of the Update. I know I was unable to get my 3 Kinhalls and 2 houses all into one neighborhood, but I never tried real hard.

Short of player events it isn't Housing was a ghost town before and after because there was no reason to hang out. A day or 2 every now and then to redecorate, pop in and use storage, buy mats for the discount from the vendors, beyond that there never was a reason to hang out.

If housing was actually this empty after the Abandonment Rule and it was before the cancellation then Turbine made the correct call in dumping the Update.

I think Lasrael is correct Beanie made an assumption, I wonder if it was based off things he saw between Abandonment and Cancellation.

And isn't Brandywine one of the most crowded servers?.

it is, but you have to understand, crowded by todays standards is anywhere from 1/3 to 1/5 of the actual peak concurrency since the launch of the game in April of 2007.

and you don't even need to go back that far, numbers have been continuing to downtrend with each successive expansion since RoI.

yearsall.jpg

and if you want to see European players recording game numbers before the FTP conversion back in 2010:

http://archive.lotrocommunity.eu/lord-rings-online-general-discussion-424/412924-server-headcount.html

busy by todays standards, is a bar lowered considerably.

People would buy the newly available houses on other accounts even w/o the expected revamp, because it's more storage space. If they could, they would have done it earlier, but everything was occupied. The amount of houses (emptied after the abandonment) was more than sufficient for the current game population, i.e. enough for every active account to get one. Which was the whole point and it was a good call from T. The problem was, housing in itself was non-satisfying, with too few slots and too little customization. Cool that they added a ton of dec items during the last 2 expansions, bad that we were supposed to put the stuff on top of our char's heads. Hence the revamp idea, perhaps.

Did the data after the abandonment influence the revamp fiasco outcome? Maybe, but I think the revamp was abandoned for similar reasons why there won't be US <-> EU server transfers. For some tech reason (don't ask me what), it is difficult to make it and it was canceled, simple as that. Otherwise K.P. wouldn't have made all the housing revamp promises. <- This suggest they intended to do it anyway and that the abandonment was step 1 in the process, but they didn't really know what they are facing at the time. Later, someone checked the housing coding mess and realized it's not constructed in a very smart manner, making it too hard to revamp, thus leaving the previous EP to suck it for the too generous promises of the previous-previous one.

• 1 month later...

indeed, old topic is done.

however, it would appear that on at least a few servers i've checked, neighborhoods that were entirely empty, have been removed.

so it would seem now the total number of neighborhoods is starting to decrease on certain servers.

that said, there still seems to be plenty of availability.

Is that recent? Possibly part of the server move? Beyond the obvious not wanting to have many empty housing areas,

this one isn't something i monitor with any regular frequency, so not sure exactly when it happened other than between the date i started this thread and today.

but with an overwhelming majority of neighborhoods with availability & only a small handful at, or near full occupancy, it didn't really make much sense to have entire neighborhoods sitting empty.

and it certainly makes tallying a count that much easier, with less total neighborhoods to check.  i may (or may not) do that with one or two of the servers sitting with larger populations than others, at some point prior to transfers opening, as that won't happen now, prior to May.

Last time I checked housing I couldn't buy a deluxe in the neighborhoods I already had housing in (Gladden). I will admit it may have changed since I haven't played really at all in the last couple monthexcept for the occasional log in so I pick up housing rent and keep my kins from getting usurped by the few odd folks who haven't quit. Work and dislike of current game situation would be 2 of the reasons. My biggest concern at the time I said that is if people start flocking to servers will there be housing for them. If there is, that's all to the good.

Oh, and for the record it's been years since I thought Lotro was fine. :)  They've bled so many good, paying players and made such poor decisions it's a wonder they have the people still working for them that they do. The few, the proud.....