LOTROCommunity

Nvidia 4 GB card being 3,5 card in reality - fun stuff inside

drul

So Nvidia lied and sold gtx 970 branding it as card with 4GB VRAM, but in reality you can only use 3,5 GB.

Truth be told though I've started this topic mainly in order to post this movie, cause it is just too funny :)

Anyone know the original? Is there orignal translation available somewhere?  Would love to get my hand on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spZJrsssPA0&x-yt-ts=1422579428&x-yt-cl=85114404

Incorrect. You can use the whole 4GB, but only 3.5GB of that in the _fastest_ way.

SNy

It is not just a bit slower.  Usage over 3,5 GB can cripple your experience.

Users report that few games that are able to use/"want" to use over 3,5GB ram start to stutter once they go past 3,5 GB RAM.   So even though physically there is 4GB VRAM on the card, then in practical terms from end-consumer point of view in my opinions there is only 3,5 GB.

Considering rising VRAM usage of games, this can cause big problems for gtx 970 users in those future VRAM hungry games.

VRAM is not the only thing as well.  It seems like NVIDIA lied about number of ROP units and size of L2 cache that GTX 970 has.

You should take two things away from that simple description. First, despite initial reviews and information from NVIDIA, the GTX 970 actually has fewer ROPs and less L2 cache than the GTX 980. NVIDIA says this was an error in the reviewer’s guide and a misunderstanding between the engineering team and the technical PR team on how the architecture itself functioned.

source:http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

Can you limit it to only ever use the lower 3.5 or is it on autopilot?

Autopilot.

Also other NVIDIA stuff:

1. They recently released GTX 960.  It is 128 bit / 2GB VRAM card (in 2015 really?)  that is about same speed as GTX 760 / GTX 670.

+ in some games in which Nvidia compression technology does not work that well, it really struggles.

But it is certainly very profitable card for Nvidia.  It's chip is VERY TINY and cheap and NVidia is selling it at 250$.

Preety bad if you ask me.

http://videocardz.com/54826/pcperspective-mobile-g-sync-confirmed-g-sync-module-unneeded

Basically NVIDIA used to say that for G-SYNC you need expensive monitors with NVIDIA G-SYNC module in them.  Someone has hacked Nvidia software driver and G-SYNC works without G-SYNC module. 

So Nvidia lied and sold gtx 970 branding it as card with 4GB VRAM, but in reality you can only use 3,5 GB.

Truth be told though I've started this topic mainly in order to post this movie, cause it is just too funny :)

Anyone know the original? Is there orignal translation available somewhere?  Would love to get my hand on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spZJrsssPA0&x-yt-ts=1422579428&x-yt-cl=85114404

I'd like to know that as well. Even in the YouTube comments people who speak Spanish are having a hard time understanding him. But if whatever it is was that funny, I'd like to know too.

:P

Found this on youtube:

"He was working in a beach bar, doing the dishes and stuff. His boss asked him to clean 20 big trays (in which spanish "paella" is served), and clean them. These were so dirty that the boss told this guy to leave them tied on some rock and leave the sea water do the job during the night. He did so, and after that he went home.

The next morning, his boss told him to bring back the trays, and the dude went to the spot he left them, only to find the tide had took them away. In the end, he tells how his boss deducted the price of the trays from his assignment."

Not sure if that's the real translation but it would certainly explain why he's laughing so hard.

His name is Juan Joya Borja btw.