LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Doro

Ban Racists From Social Media

The more I read the news, the less I want to live on this planet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31246808

According to some inquiry into anti-Semitism (I was unaware it was such an issue), MPs suggest banning racists from social media. Specifically using orders like those placed against sex offenders to restrict internet access. Yup, because racists and sex offenders are on the same level. /sarc

Now I don't agree with racists. And I'm not certain that this inquiry actually means real racists (as you may realise further down). But this is just another example of trying to censor views that the government disagrees with. I don't care what you have to say, but I care if someone tries to stop you from saying it.

Here's a bit I found interesting.

'Their report said the terms "Hitler" and "Holocaust" were among the top 35 phrases relating to Jews during the [Gaza] conflict.'

The hashtags "Hitler" and "genocide" featured with "high frequency", it added.'

No fucking shit those words were used. It's because Jews are now playing the villains that they were once persecuted by themselves! But they want to ban people saying things like that? Police the internet to hide what they consider to be racist hate-speech?

Further down: '... many British Jews say there has always been a low level of underlying anti-Semitism - such as casual, thoughtless remarks...'

That's underlying anti-Semitism now, is it? Casual, thoughtless remarks? Key words being 'casual' and 'thoughtless' showing that it isn't anti-Semitism at all? Anti-Semitism is intentional, it's directed. It isn't the use of a few words that people didn't realise would rustle a Jew.

What's concerning is that there is no solid definition here for what they want to ban. It could range from outright calls for the death of Jews to fact-based statements that paints Israel in a bad light. Effectively censoring critics of Israel. They claim that they only mean for those who continuously use the internet to perpetrate hate crimes, but their ability to arbitrarily apply the term 'hate-crime' to whatever they like is a slippery slope.

And look at what they suggest beyond banning racists.

'It also called for:

- A government fund to be set up to cover the costs of security at synagogues

- Fresh research on identifying and explaining anti-Semitic language

- Guidance for teachers on how to handle the Middle East conflict in the classroom'

Special rules only to protect Jews? Treating 'anti-Semitic language' like some mystery that needs explaining? An official stance on what to say for the Israel/Palestine conflict? Sounds odd to anyone else?

And something that hits me:

'"We need society to become as vocally intolerant of faith-hatred as it is of other forms of discrimination, and a clearer understanding of where freedom of speech oversteps the mark."

Great. Now it's not just about racism but also about religion. No more hating of religions... looks like I'll be posting from prison. Oh wait, no they'll ban me from using the internet because I'd be classed as a racist for hurting the feelings of someone they consider to be wildly different to me.

Sheesh, that's a bitch, don't worry Doro I will keep you company, I openly hate all forms of organised religions (doesn't mean I'm not religious though, I just hate organised religion ;) ), so it looks like i'll be joining you.

• Upvote 1

take away organized religion and you take away over half the world's problems/conflicts.

it does more harm than good.

Well I agree more needs to be done to tackle the abuse that is prevalent on Social Media, using vague terms to say what is and isn't allowed is just open to abuse to silence people you don't agree with. Also will this cover abuse directed at those who are not religious

This makes it very clear that a lot of people, and especially government, struggles with the fact that everyone can say what they want online and it is very difficult to see if they are serious about it.

Things like racism and antisemitism are serious issues that need to be solved and the internet makes it easier for people to be a 'racist'. But the way the government approaches this is wrong. They shouldn't see it as a threat, they should see it as a opportunity to directly communicate with people racist tendencies and explaing why this behaviour is unwanted and unfounded. 

*discussing about the situation in Israel/Palestine is hopeless, because you are very quickly labeled as a racist or antisemite or something like that. Being reasonably neutral isn't a possible opinion you can have when talking about the situation. Both parties (and their 'supporters') think you are either for them or against them. And in my opinion neither of them deserves to be for them.

Things like racism and antisemitism are serious issues that need to be solved...

Unless it actually results in harm, racism and antisemitism isn't something that needs to be solved at all. Just like any other form of prejudice. People are free to think and say what they like. If it doesn't match the current agenda, there's no need to try to force it that way. And there's certainly no grounds to ban people from using the internet to voice them.

Things like racism and antisemitism are serious issues that need to be solved

Bullshit, verbal racism and anti-Semitism (physical is another thing) are only serious issues to soft skinned girlies who still drink at their momma's teets, words don't fucking hurt you, just roll your eyes and shrug it off you bunch of pansies, everybody's entitled to voice their opinion whether you like what is said or not :D

• Upvote 1

If this ever gets beyond the initial proposal stage, I'll be amazed. Such a bill will not get through The House of Lords.

A proverbial storm in a teacup.  Just like Winterval and Cafes not being able to spread the smell of Bacon cooking :)

If this ever gets beyond the initial proposal stage, I'll be amazed. Such a bill will not get through The House of Lords.

The same House of Lords that tried to revive the snooping charter

Also social media doesnt make it easier to be racist, it just gives the racists another output for their crap

Also social media doesnt make it easier to be racist, it just gives the racists another output for their crap

I also find that it makes racism less serious on the internet. Insults in general become negligible. If more people spent their time in the darkest crevices of the internet, they'd come out much tougher for it.

Speaking of "social media" ... Anyone heard about the danish woman whose mail account got hacked by her ex-boyfriend who then posted pictures & personal data of her on some revenge website?

People have been doing this "jews are bad" talk even before the internet was inventend and I doubt people suddenly decide to hate jews just because the internet told them so. Emma Holton on the other hand was stalked, threatend and insulted for three years, so where's the masterplan to shut down revenge sites?

Detail: a lot of the comments on the latest Israeli offensive involving "Hitler" and "genocide" went along the lines of "Good job, Israel.  You scream about the Holocaust the turn around and indulge in the same genocidal practices".

If you ask the Anti-Defamation League or anyone else spreading Hasbara bullshit, you can be classed as anti-semitic for saying that it would be wrong of Israel to nuke Tehran, provide the proper usage of word play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_people

The biggest anti-semites these days are ISIL and Israel (lovingly referred to as JSIL lately).

Cry babies. Ooo, we don't like how people may interpret our actions, we find the statements offensive. Tough shit. While I agree that Israel has a right to exist and defend itself, it shouldn't stoop to the same level that is used against it (and let's remember that the people attempting to tarnish their rep aren't above staging 'atrocities' and then blaming the other guy.) In general, I think it's best to give them the benefit of the doubt in most cases, since they are the only sane government in the whole area. As far as words go I could care less, but if it's graffiti, then it should be considered vandalism. This HATE SPEECH crap should get tossed, people are always going to have opinions, and even if wrong they should be allowed to have them. If you think the whole world will agree with you then you're the crazy one, and if you think you can make them, you're worse than crazy, you're a total loon.

People are allowed to have their opinions, however moronic.

But the UK Government, of late, not so much for Freedom of Speech/Press, despite their protestations over what happened at Charlie Hebdo.

The British legal system is a big defender of guilty parties who sue claiming they've had their public identities besmirched to prevent any attention being paid to the reason WHY anything is being said of them.