LOTROCommunity
Amenhir

Lotro PvPers...are they really that bad?

Why does it seem that such a large percentage of pvpers are nasty, vile people.  I know not all of them are and I have met some that are generally good natured.  Are these people, outside of the game, actually liked by other human beings.  I can't imagine wanting to spend time with people who appear as if their soul purpose is to be humiliating, demoralizing, hateful, snarky, and smug.  If it's a question of being overly competitive I would hate to play clue or monopoly with them.  "Go directly to jail bitch, and I hope your mom gets cancer!"

When it comes to PvP, I would say that the Lotro community is a fairly nice bunch...

You should try playing Counter-Strike, and from what I heard, even that community is pretty nice compared to most MOBAs

• Upvote 1

Almost all if not all the PvP communities in the world of gaming have at least a fraction of utterly vile folks....

And even between friends, things can get pretty vile when promises and threats are exchanged which makes it hard to define the real level of nasty hehehe.

Of course if you ask Anita Sarkeesian we're all extremely civilized and polite to each other except when a woman shows up =P

Are these people, outside of the game, actually liked by other human beings.

Unlikely I always suspected as in the real world if they carried on like that they would spend quite a substantial portion of their lives getting punched. I tend to think of then as similar to the "Alpha" male types I've met over the years who are in general the ones least likely to survive in any situation outside of office power structures and least likely to manage to fight their way out of a paper bag.

I've found that there's a minority (not a Turbine-esque minority) of PvMP'ers that are nasty, and, unfortunately, their voices tend to carry loudly in chat.  Most are OK, though.  You just have to focus on not taking it personally, even if stuff sent your way is very personally pointed.

Basic principles:

- In a PvP zone, expect to be PvP'd.

- No sense in considering the other players enemies, because you know that you'd switch sides in a heartbeat, if that's what you felt you had to do.

- May the best zerg win.

Crikey lotro is nothing compared to pvp centric games, pvp in lotro is a side game and as such it doesn't attract hard core pvp'ers, granted some in lotro get a bit carried away but try playing destiny or CoD or halo pvp for a bit or any of the top MOBAs and you will see the difference.in fact just log onto one of the above mentioned forums and you'll see what I mean.

Lotro pvp at its worse is sugar coated fairy cakes compared to real pvp games

I don't really see the problem with PvPers being 'nasty'. We're there to kill each other, if they want to vent when I repeatedly own them then it's all gravy.

• Upvote 1

I don't really see the problem with PvPers being 'nasty'. We're there to kill each other, if they want to vent when I repeatedly own them then it's all gravy.

True, but I still like when there's a decent attitude to it. Like when a 24-man zerg keeps away from the ad-hoc 1v1 arena rather than moving them over which they so easily could.

Or when some on the high-number side logs the other side to even the numbers on both sides for a more fair fight.

True, but I still like when there's a decent attitude to it. Like when a 24-man zerg keeps away from the ad-hoc 1v1 arena rather than moving them over which they so easily could.

Or when some on the high-number side logs the other side to even the numbers on both sides for a more fair fight.

Eww, that's some disgusting sportsmanship right there. Horde mode, backstabbing and camping all the way! PvP is just a series of grey, boring encounters when people play by the unspoken rules.

That is not what open battleground (like Lotro PvPM map) is about.    Same goes for open pvp games.

They never was never about sportmanship or being fair. 

The problem with people being nasty in PvP, or any other part of a game, is you can push players away from it making it harder to find people to play with or against. If PvP stops being fun people will go elsewhere

I'm not talking about zerging, ganking, "unfair" tactics, OP classes or anything of that nature.  I'm referring to the "I"m so awesome at pvp and you suck that you should go commit suicide"  That's the tude I'm referring to.  "Oh you mouse click?, then you fail at life and you should die of aids"

LMAO.

LOTRO PvMP community are a bunch of cumbaya singing hippies compared to what I see in other, a lot more PvP centric games.

Oh sure, compared to the RPing/PvEing good people that roam most of Middle-Earth online, they must be the rabble of the server.

But on a larger scale? LMFAO!

Try an online game with public chatchannels that is both PvP centric AND F2P. That combination really brings in the asshats like corpses attract maggots.

LOTRO PvMP-ers are at max wannabee asshats. Child's play.

I'm not talking about zerging, ganking, "unfair" tactics, OP classes or anything of that nature.  I'm referring to the "I"m so awesome at pvp and you suck that you should go commit suicide"  That's the tude I'm referring to.  "Oh you mouse click?, then you fail at life and you should die of aids"

Meh, that's just banter. Basically water off a duck's back.

Meh, that's just banter. Basically water off a duck's back.

^^^THIS

PvP is a virtual contact sport and has all the smack talk that contact sports garner. It can be very emotional. I PvP in chat as much as I PvP in the field, it's all part of the game. If I can get an opponent so pissed off that all they think about is killing me then I've already won, I'm in their head and they will over extend just for a chance of a KB on me, it gives me an edge.

And I have seen my share of good sportsmanship and respect, but in PvP respect is hard earned and easily lost.

And I have seen my share of good sportsmanship and respect, but in PvP respect is hard earned and easily lost.

Respect in PvP is for the weak. Slaughter without mercy and use their corpses as bedpans!

Respect in PvP is for the weak. Slaughter without mercy and use their corpses as bedpans!

Or as we say.....GIVE THEM NOTHING!!!1111!!!!!!! ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!111111!!!!!

There's no such thing as PvP in LOTRO.

It's called "ZvZ", aka Zerg vs Zerg.

I've played many PvP games ranging from full loot FFA PvP (notably UO) to instanced BG PvP, and LOTRO has one of the worse form of PvP of all those I played. GW2 does it million times better when it comes to a PvP zone like the moors, and WoW's instanced PvP is sadly way more fun and challenging than the LOTRO zergfest.

People enjoying the moors would have to pick up their jaws on the floor if they tried something like GW2's World vs World mode, or even old DAoC's RvR (even though that wasn't that great compared to GW2 in my opinion).

This said, yes, a significant part of PvP players are just rude asshats. It's always been like that, and it's usually also those with the less skill who will only pick the weakest opponents they have no chance dying to. Amusingly, it's also often players of stealth classes fleeing the battle as soon as there's a risk to be killed. Basically, asshats and cowards, and very vocal when it comes to be rude and stupid.

There's no such thing as PvP in LOTRO.

It's called "ZvZ", aka Zerg vs Zerg.

I've played many PvP games ranging from full loot FFA PvP (notably UO) to instanced BG PvP, and LOTRO has one of the worse form of PvP of all those I played. GW2 does it million times better when it comes to a PvP zone like the moors, and WoW's instanced PvP is sadly way more fun and challenging than the LOTRO zergfest.

People enjoying the moors would have to pick up their jaws on the floor if they tried something like GW2's World vs World mode, or even old DAoC's RvR (even though that wasn't that great compared to GW2 in my opinion).

This said, yes, a significant part of PvP players are just rude asshats. It's always been like that, and it's usually also those with the less skill who will only pick the weakest opponents they have no chance dying to. Amusingly, it's also often players of stealth classes fleeing the battle as soon as there's a risk to be killed. Basically, asshats and cowards, and very vocal when it comes to be rude and stupid.

GW2's PvP isn't ZvZ? I enjoyed GW2's PvP, but even a good thing gets old after awhile.  If you liked GW2's PvP then you would like ESO's, basically GW2's but on a massive scale. Zones big enough to solo in and never even see the zerg. Now if they could fix the lag issues it would be perfect.

I still have a warm place in my heart for LOTRO PvP. I liked that there weren't mirrored classes. It made you study and be aware of each classes strengths and weaknesses.

GW2's PvP isn't ZvZ? I enjoyed GW2's PvP, but even a good thing gets old after awhile.  If you liked GW2's PvP then you would like ESO's, basically GW2's but on a massive scale. Zones big enough to solo in and never even see the zerg. Now if they could fix the lag issues it would be perfect.

I still have a warm place in my heart for LOTRO PvP. I liked that there weren't mirrored classes. It made you study and be aware of each classes strengths and weaknesses.

We had small groups with my guild going on all the time, and it worked just fine in GW2. I even found myself soloing quite a few times, but of course it's not as efficient as a small group and you couldn't do everything either, which is as it should be in a MMORPG.

And yeah, LOTRO classes aren't mirrored... and they also have among the worse balance of any MMO with PvP.

We had small groups with my guild going on all the time, and it worked just fine in GW2. I even found myself soloing quite a few times, but of course it's not as efficient as a small group and you couldn't do everything either, which is as it should be in a MMORPG.

And yeah, LOTRO classes aren't mirrored... and they also have among the worse balance of any MMO with PvP.

When I played we had dozens of guilds working together on all 4 maps, definitately made things interesting.

The best kind of PvP is the one where you can't trust even your own team-mates. Chivalry (before they broke it) had an amazing free-for-all option but people would still form loose alliances with each other... and when you betrayed your own team they'd hunt you down and new alliances would form mid-battle. I'd like an MMO with that in it.

The best kind of PvP is the one where you can't trust even your own team-mates. Chivalry (before they broke it) had an amazing free-for-all option but people would still form loose alliances with each other... and when you betrayed your own team they'd hunt you down and new alliances would form mid-battle. I'd like an MMO with that in it.

This would be a great option for a Game of Thrones MMO with all the scheming and backstabbing that's inherent in the story.

I daydream about how I would make a GoT MMO, it could get quite complicated quickly.

Rift has a questline where you can alienate yourself with different factions, where once they were attackable, but wouldn't attack unless you attack, to where they would attack you on sight.

Sort how some RPG's are, GTA San Andreas, Sacrface, The Godfather. Make your choices and deal with the consequences.

LotRO PvMP around Book 14-15 (just before Moria) was brilliant.

For a brief, shining moment, one of the monkeys at Turbine actually typed out a few paragraphs of Shakespeare...

Back on topic: there are always a few jerks; PvP just makes it easier for them to express themselves.

LotRO PvMP around Book 14-15 (just before Moria) was brilliant.

For a brief, shining moment, one of the monkeys at Turbine actually typed out a few paragraphs of Shakespeare...

Back on topic: there are always a few jerks; PvP just makes it easier for them to express themselves.

I agree, that was the high point of PvP in LORTO.