LOTROCommunity

Lotro PvPers...are they really that bad?

Amenhir

Level of the design "team"?? What is this team shit you speak of, last time there was a huge discussion on the forums about simple crafting icons there was a "person" doing the graphics. PERSON, as in singular. Designing anything to put on a barter vendor or in game is beyond Turbine anymore. I think MoL and Jinjaah are the only senior developers left, and then you have the disastrous Egg who does class shit (and I do mean SHIT). Beyond that it's new guys passing through the revolving door before they're RIF'd. (RIF = reduction in force, as in fired.)

I think they have five full time employees working on the game.   Frelorn, Vyvyanne(sp?), Quartermaster U, MoL, and Jinjaah.  Jinjaah of course is the only "full time" employee that handles pretty much everything class related as well as pvp and legendary items.  During one of the streams shortly before the DA update there were probably 5 or 6 guys sitting in that room.. I said then that they probably comprised the entire dev team.  The rest, as you said, is a revolving door of entry level coders.   We'll see what happens to the team when IC is finally laid to rest but I would hazard a guess that they'll be shitcanned or sent off to develop some LoTR themed farmville.

So much wrong.

You can believe whatever you wish.  I enjoy watching you guys make up the most hilarious crap.

Seriously, if you've got evidence that the LOTRO team is made up of more than half a dozen full-time allocated staff augmented by designers, developers etc from a poll of people when needed then please, do share. 

You can believe whatever you wish.  I enjoy watching you guys make up the most hilarious crap.

So glad we have your permission but I wasn't aware we needed it? We share the enjoyment of watching you do the same. Nobody is buying what you're selling because it's definitely crap.

• Upvote 2

So glad we have your permission but I wasn't aware we needed it? We share the enjoyment of watching you do the same. Nobody is buying what you're selling because it's definitely crap.

agreed

It seems Lotro and DDO are probably sharing staff.  I wonder if the DDO Druid dev was also the Beorn dev or he handed his work to a Lotro dev.  

The really sad thing is people like this guy probably drove me away from the game sooner than I would have.  While some of us were trying to give Turbine a friendly kick in the ass, people like this were patting them on the back telling them we were haters. 

This is not the first game I have run into these folks.  And this won't be the last.  I'm not sure if they realize they damage the community.  I understand this forum is not a Turbine friendly forum but we can have realistic conversations about the state of the game.

And I started running into these folks in game during Fangorn Park.  They had infiltrated my own kin.  They will tell you that Epic Battles are awesome, the class changes were great, grinding the gambling simulator is quality endgame and that there is almost nothing wrong with the game.  

I would consider myself a Rift fan boy.  That doesn't mean I shout down anyone who brings up the games problems for 1 simple reason.  It makes the game better.  If the devs don't get the proper feedback the game never gets better.  I will pat them on the back where they deserve it, that doesn't mean I will keep doing so when they don't.  

This is how objectivity works.  While others opinions are welcomed blindness is not.

• Upvote 2

agreed

It seems Lotro and DDO are probably sharing staff.  I wonder if the DDO Druid dev was also the Beorn dev or he handed his work to a Lotro dev.  

The really sad thing is people like this guy probably drove me away from the game sooner than I would have.  While some of us were trying to give Turbine a friendly kick in the ass, people like this were patting them on the back telling them we were haters. 

This is not the first game I have run into these folks.  And this won't be the last.  I'm not sure if they realize they damage the community.  I understand this forum is not a Turbine friendly forum but we can have realistic conversations about the state of the game.

And I started running into these folks in game during Fangorn Park.  They had infiltrated my own kin.  They will tell you that Epic Battles are awesome, the class changes were great, grinding the gambling simulator is quality endgame and that there is almost nothing wrong with the game.  

I would consider myself a Rift fan boy.  That doesn't mean I shout down anyone who brings up the games problems for 1 simple reason.  It makes the game better.  If the devs don't get the proper feedback the game never gets better.  I will pat them on the back where they deserve it, that doesn't mean I will keep doing so when they don't.  

This is how objectivity works.  While others opinions are welcomed blindness is not.

100% agree with you and Beanie. The Player Council and the OF Forum Warriors (like Heydt, Khafar, and others) are part of the reason I don't really play the game as much as I used to. 

You try to give a good suggestion to a company that appears to be either clueless or apathetic, and you get shot down on the forums and in-game by people who blindly support everything Turbine does.

I honestly hate what both Player Councils have become. In the majority of my dealings with PC members, I've been belittled and talked down to like I'm some stooge that knows absolutely nothing about the game. (Leixy comes to mind)

I understand that having the "PC Badge" does technically put a target on your back, but getting all high-and-mighty with your fellow players while you're representing a company that already has a shaky reputation is poor form.

• Upvote 1

100% agree with you and Beanie. The Player Council and the OF Forum Warriors (like Heydt, Khafar, and others) are part of the reason I don't really play the game as much as I used to. 

You try to give a good suggestion to a company that appears to be either clueless or apathetic, and you get shot down on the forums and in-game by people who blindly support everything Turbine does.

I honestly hate what both Player Councils have become. In the majority of my dealings with PC members, I've been belittled and talked down to like I'm some stooge that knows absolutely nothing about the game. (Leixy comes to mind)

I understand that having the "PC Badge" does technically put a target on your back, but getting all high-and-mighty with your fellow players while you're representing a company that already has a shaky reputation is poor form.

These people were already high and mighty long before they got on the players council.  I've had kinmates and other friends in game tell me that I would be good on the PC.  However, I can't imagine the about face I would have to make and the incessant boot-licking that is required to get on the PC.  

Every year thus far it has been the same types of people on the PC.  Type a is the heydt, leixy, marevavavavavvavyyyyeee(sp?) type and type b is the "who the fuck is this guy" type.  I know you know the latter type.  You've never seen them in game and they never post on the forums.  Most of the PC is made up of the former type.  Sycophants who somehow believe that being on the PC gives them celebrity status.   Anyone who didn't fall into either type either quit the PC, or are very vocal about their disgust.  

What they will never get into their pointy little heads is that their feedback means jack shit.  Turbine will throw them under the bus if need be and the only thing I have ever seen Turbine officially give the PC credit for was adding characters to the MOTD.. Way to go PC!

All I can say, as a member of the 2013 (first) PC, is that not everyone is as bad as what is being portrayed. Maybe we had a mostly decent group by chance and the later groups weren't as lucky. A couple were occasional hot heads and one asshat had conspiracy crap in every 4th post but overall was pretty decent. Oz as PvMP map was first kicked around back then.

These people were already high and mighty long before they got on the players council.  I've had kinmates and other friends in game tell me that I would be good on the PC.  However, I can't imagine the about face I would have to make and the incessant boot-licking that is required to get on the PC.  

Every year thus far it has been the same types of people on the PC.  Type a is the heydt, leixy, marevavavavavvavyyyyeee(sp?) type and type b is the "who the fuck is this guy" type.  I know you know the latter type.  You've never seen them in game and they never post on the forums.  Most of the PC is made up of the former type.  Sycophants who somehow believe that being on the PC gives them celebrity status.   Anyone who didn't fall into either type either quit the PC, or are very vocal about their disgust.  

What they will never get into their pointy little heads is that their feedback means jack shit.  Turbine will throw them under the bus if need be and the only thing I have ever seen Turbine officially give the PC credit for was adding characters to the MOTD.. Way to go PC!

I would ask why Turbine would even consider adding players that were already unpopular with many to the PC, but the word "Turbine" answered the question.

As for being thrown under the bus, I feel like something like that happened recently, but I can't remember the exact details.

The whole Turbine/PC relation feels like a Palpatine/Vader or a Sauron/Mouth of Sauron type of deal.

All I can say, as a member of the 2013 (first) PC, is that not everyone is as bad as what is being portrayed. Maybe we had a mostly decent group by chance and the later groups weren't as lucky. A couple were occasional hot heads and one asshat had conspiracy crap in every 4th post but overall was pretty decent. Oz as PvMP map was first kicked around back then.

I don't think that everyone on the current PC is bad. Unfortunately, I feel like there are enough bad apples to really destroy what the true purpose of the PC should have been.

I don't recall much of the 2013 PC (I was on one of my breaks from the game), but I do remember there being less baddies.

I've been belittled and talked down to like I'm some stooge that knows absolutely nothing about the game. 

That's funny because they don't know shit about the game either. Even on the PC.

It's a very interesting personality experiment I think. People who are told plans that will never see the light of day get power-trips on an internet forum.

• Upvote 1

I was stunned when I was originally chosen for the 2014 PC - figured it was a misclick on Sapience part that he regretted til the day he left if his attitude was anything to go by. Especially since I seldom agreed with Turbine.

You're definitely right about the PC feedback meaning shit. Most of the time it was blatantly ignored except to tell the main forums that whatever poorly-thought-out stupidity had been enacted was with "feedback from the PC". What they didn't tell you was that the  feedback would overwhelmingly be WTF DON'T DO IT in many cases.

• Upvote 1

Wow cannot really be compared realistically with any modern MMO.  It's a unique animal.  

FFS, I've seen you use this excuse too many times.  WOW is a SUCCESSFUL MMO based on an IP.  Just like LOTRO.  The difference between WOW and LOTRO is that LOTRO's IP is even more successful than WOW's

LOTRO's developer got bought.  When WB was investigating Turbine to purchase them, Turbine scaled back development to make their financial books look as good as possible for purchase.  It's why it was such a long gap between SOM and ROI and why the SOM era updates before F2P were so lackluster.  That gap made LOTRO shrink as WOW grew.  When they came out the other side and Turbine was owned by WB it was too late.  They went F2P to make the sinking ship sink slower, and that was it. 

It was Turbine's business decisions that made it not grow on pace with WOW.  Not that WOW was some magic entity that grew through magical magics beyond compare.

Edited by Snowlock

I was stunned when I was originally chosen for the 2014 PC - figured it was a misclick on Sapience part that he regretted til the day he left if his attitude was anything to go by. Especially since I seldom agreed with Turbine.

You're definitely right about the PC feedback meaning shit. Most of the time it was blatantly ignored except to tell the main forums that whatever poorly-thought-out stupidity had been enacted was with "feedback from the PC". What they didn't tell you was that the  feedback would overwhelmingly be WTF DON'T DO IT in many cases.

Most people that get into focus groups have to fill out some kind of questionnaire to sort of gauge what kind of responses they will give about whatever they want feedback on.  You just happened to be the devil's advocate in this case.  

"Look guys!, we don't just have the PC full of Turbine lovers, this guys thinks we suck!"

Mar whats her name has a toon in LMB so I would imagine that she had the entirety of that group sending in nominations.  In my not so humble opinion, because I'm 99.9% of the time right.  People on the PC should be involved in all aspects of the game so that they can give feedback based on what they know and their own experience.  Being strictly rp, strictly pvp, or stictly dickly means your feedback will be biased.  When that happens we get more pets.

FFS, I've seen you use this excuse too many times.  WOW is a SUCCESSFUL MMO based on an IP.  Just like LOTRO.  The difference between WOW and LOTRO is that LOTRO's IP is even more successful than WOW's

LOTRO's developer got bought.  When WB was investigating Turbine to purchase them, Turbine scaled back development to make their financial books look as good as possible for purchase.  It's why it was such a long gap between SOM and ROI and why the SOM era updates before F2P were so lackluster.  That gap made LOTRO shrink as WOW grew.  When they came out the other side and Turbine was owned by WB it was too late.  They went F2P to make the sinking ship sink slower, and that was it. 

It was Turbine's business decisions that made it not grow on pace with WOW.  Not that WOW was some magic entity that grew through magical magics beyond compare.

There is a reason he/she is so sticky.

Some of my favorite posters were PC member so the "bootlickers" term doesn't apply to all of the PC members.

Beanie, The Storm King, Kickman (who was a kinnie for a short time), and a few others.   So not all of them are "bootlickers".

There were a few when I saw the names I cringed.   For me Lotro was a lot like WoW without the very toxic community.   When the community began to sour I started checking with other MMO's to find a safe place to land.  I can't say I can pick out more than 3 or 4 names on the PC that I thought were cancers to the community. 

Sadly he's just one of Sapience's creatures that carries the torch now that the Sheriff of Fattingham is gone.

I wonder what his motivations are on this forum.  I hope he doesn't think he's helping the game by getting more players with his posts.  Especially since I have already stated it was guys like this that drove me away (including the lack of quality in product offering from Turbine).

This was one of my favorite threads started by a former PC member:

http://lotrocommunity.com/forum/topic/2859-how-to-punch-turbine-in-the-dick/?page=1

Or they consulted with that Cappy that thought the class changes were awesome when cappys almost universally hated the changes.  I can't remember his name but if someone else can provide it I can add his name to my list of hated posters.   I can't remember if it was Furtim (if it wasn't him sorry )?  It wasn't his cappy posts (I never played a Cappy) but his constant defense of Turbine including even the most simple complaints.

I also objected to The Crossbow.  While he isn't a 100% defender he was a 100% a forum troll.  Choosing someone like that instantly causes your focus group to lose merit!

Yeah, probably Furtim. He's one of those occasional hot heads I mentioned that sometimes you'd wish would shut up and quit digging his hole deeper. I don't think he lorded his PC-ness over people so much as was a dick when he didn't need to be at times.

Now look you've done - I had such high aspirations for the PC. Everything that Fundin told us at the end of PC13 led to me to believe that Turbine's intentions were noble, their engagement with the PC one based on exceptional candour and honesty...

Yeah, probably Furtim. He's one of those occasional hot heads I mentioned that sometimes you'd wish would shut up and quit digging his hole deeper. I don't think he lorded his PC-ness over people so much as was a dick when he didn't need to be at times.

PC members lording it over others... who would have thought that eh? :D

I wonder what his motivations are on this forum. 

Just your run of the mill basic trolling.  It's all he's ever done.  He'd have been kicked off the OF and forgotten years ago had he been just another troll, but he's a troll that used to attend Sap's meet and greets in Florida so he somehow got to stick around.

Just your run of the mill basic trolling.  It's all he's ever done.  He'd have been kicked off the OF and forgotten years ago had he been just another troll, but he's a troll that used to attend Sap's meet and greets in Florida so he somehow got to stick around.

So he got to shove his nose up Sap's arse in real life rather than just metaphorically. How delightful!

I wonder what his motivations are on this forum.  I hope he doesn't think he's helping the game by getting more players with his posts.  Especially since I have already stated it was guys like this that drove me away (including the lack of quality in product offering from Turbine).

I'm here because I enjoy being exposed to different perspectives, and once you get through some of the saltiness there is some interesting discussion here.

I find it entertaining/silly when some of the posters here go off on wild tangents trying to pin motives on people in odd ways.  They see malice and forethought in things that are just as explainable by more mundane human failings.  At the end of the day, I see a small studio with some management issues that you're pretty sure to find in all organizations at some level or another.  It's not a perfect company, or a perfect game by any stretch.  I'm not afraid to point to or discuss the flaws.  

Anyways, TIME TO TROLL

I did attend several of the Flordia Player Meetups.  These were set up by Kickman, who still organizes them: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?565226-3rd-Annual-Central-Florida-Meet-and-Greet

Some of my favorite posters were PC member so the "bootlickers" term doesn't apply to all of the PC members.

Beanie, The Storm King, Kickman (who was a kinnie for a short time), and a few others.   So not all of them are "bootlickers".

So he got to shove his nose up Sap's arse in real life rather than just metaphorically. How delightful!

SO Quinn, it would seem both Snowlock and Bango are implying some crude things about your former kinnie here!  I mean, if attending one of these events is bad.. actually COORDINATING AND PLANNING THEM must be worse, right?

Edited by Stickeez

SO Quinn, it would seem both Snowlock and Bango are implying some crude things about your former kinnie here!  I mean, if attending one of these events is bad.. actually COORDINATING AND PLANNING THEM must be worse, right?

No, I think that remark was specific to you and your behavior. Must say I'm not disagreeing with them considering what I've been seeing from you.

• Upvote 1