LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
mtones

And so it begins...

After the recent mess that has happened over the B2P annoucement, the massive QQing over the stupid "loyalty reward" etc., and the huge amount of threads on OF about the CP system, we now get this:

Community Vision and Increased Moderation
admin

February 16 in General Discussion - English Staff Post
Hello everyone,

One of the goals of the official ESO forums is to provide a safe, welcoming place for our players and developers to read and talk about the game. We want to foster healthy and constructive discussions, debates and feedback, and with The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited quickly approaching, welcome new and returning players.

Effective immediately, we will be enforcing stricter moderation of the existing rules on our forums, and will be much less tolerant of any type of behavior that hurts everyone’s experience. We will not tolerate trolling, demands, abusive or insulting language toward our community members, developers, company, or ESO itself. Once you receive a warning for any moderation action, you will be suspended for 72 hours on your next offense. Any violation after your suspension will result in a permanent ban from our forums (note that this will not affect your in-game status).

We’d love for everyone to take another look at How to be an ESO Community Hero to really embrace the type of behavior we’d like to see. We also want to encourage you to continue using the Report button for any posts or threads that may require a moderator’s attention. We recognize this may require some adjustments in the way you communicate and interact with each other, but with your help, it will make for a healthier and more constructive community. If there’s any doubt about what you’re about to post, please double check the rules.

Thanks for your continued support and understanding!

Perhaps they can hire Sap or someone like him to lead the way :P

ESO Community Hero? Are they fucking serious? I can agree with some of what's in the that letter, but when they enforce rules against attacking the game that's where I draw the line. Attacking people is one thing, but if they can't handle critisim of their game them it's time to give up and just close the forums.

ESO Community Hero? Are they fucking serious? I can agree with some of what's in the that letter, but when they enforce rules against attacking the game that's where I draw the line. Attacking people is one thing, but if they can't handle critisim of their game them it's time to give up and just close the forums.

Yeah, that's just it though.  There really hasn't been much issue with people having problems with each other amazingly enough.  Some threads have gotten really, really heated lately but people always manage to work it out - sort of like around here. :)

BUt there has definitely been a really big upsurge in complaining about the game, the developers, their lack of competency, unclear communication, lies, etc.  so yeah now comes the big ban hammer.  Some things just never change I guess.

Epic facepalm. Expanding their zero experience in MMOs and understanding of MMO populations to picking the entirely wrong approach. Maybe they're taking a page out of Turbine's playbook?

Then I'll use the same playbook I use with turbine, I'll play their game, but I'll never spend a dime on it again.

I'm sure this is the prelude to ESO forums being opened up to the unwashed masses, so how soon until I can test the limits?

It doesn't seem like 100th of what went on in the Lotro forums with Sapience. How many players got banned for disagreeing with the CM there, or for saying the game had problems?

Well, they directly say they forbid "demands".

That's a pretty broad rule to suppress talking about game weaknesses.

Where is the evidence that this:

"We will not tolerate trolling, demands, abusive or insulting language toward our community members, developers, company, or ESO itself. "

means you cannot say something negative about the game? Is a comment a demand? I can see how this could be abused, but surely the main point of this sentence is NOT "you can't say anything is wrong with the game".

But I haven't followed their forums, so maybe in context this is bad. I can believe it is a reaction to negative comments about the game. But they also could be saying some of those go to far, such as making attacks on the devs.

It doesn't seem like 100th of what went on in the Lotro forums with Sapience. How many players got banned for disagreeing with the CM there, or for saying the game had problems?

In some ways ESO's forums are already more restictive that sap's forums, you can't even post without an active subscription. They are just starting, give them time to out sap the sap.

Where is the evidence that this:

"We will not tolerate trolling, demands, abusive or insulting language toward our community members, developers, company, or ESO itself. "

means you cannot say something negative about the game? Is a comment a demand? I can see how this could be abused, but surely the main point of this sentence is NOT "you can't say anything is wrong with the game".

But I haven't followed their forums, so maybe in context this is bad. I can believe it is a reaction to negative comments about the game. But they also could be saying some of those go to far, such as making attacks on the devs.

Well I suppose it all boils down to semantics and how you choose - or they choose - to define "attacks on the devs." 

Frankly, they opened themselves up to that anyway by giving out so much incorrect information in the first place, usually in their increadibly idiotic ESO Live presentations, which often turn into these weird "aren't we so great" type sitdowns where they field completely lame and goofy questions from people and avoid any of the questions we have been asking them to answer now for months. 

They also continue to cater to Q&A presentations on Reddit on a regualr basis yet cannot be bothered to communicate to players on their own website.  Half of what they say over there gets changed when they announce anything on OF.   To add insult to injury, you have long wided presentations on the game given to third party site managers like Tamriel Foundry ( who as I recently discovered is not so "third party" - duh on me...) and this adds up to a lot of pissed off people.  It is pretty clear the noose of the media spin they have already been trying to control is just getting tighter. 

I do think that once console launches and all these people that have still not seen the game come in to it, there are going to be a huge amount of bans and thread deletions, no doubt probably leading at some point to in game bans as well since the fanboi minions we've already seen are proving to be already quite "report happy" and like to troll people in game as well just to continue to argue some idiotic point they have not had enough of fighting over in the threads they constantly derail.  The poor slobs who named their characters the same name as their account name have it the worst - I know I am one of them.

I enjoy ESO well enough and I do browse the forums from time to time to see what folks are going on about - but I don't post over there at all because I was pretty much gobsmacked by the profound stupidity of using my actual login name as my forum name... effectively giving away one piece of my two-part authentication as if it was still 1998 or something.

It will interesting to see how things go when the B2P stuff goes live... looking at the rework of provisioning when there are other bits that have never worked right sort of implies that they are still channeling George Costanza...

"Why did it all turn out like this for me? I had so much promise. I was personable. I was bright. Oh, maybe not academically speaking, but I was perceptive. I always know when someone's uncomfortable at a party. It all became very clear to me sitting out there today, that every decision I've ever made in my entire life has been wrong. My life is the complete opposite of everything I want it to be. Every instinct I have in every aspect of life, be it something to wear, something to eat... It's often wrong."

- George Costanza, in "The Opposite"

The clearing out of the forum of negativity is a prelude to a pay to win store. Since it IS their forum, they'll decide if you broke the rules, and if they cannot counter logical argumentation, be sure they'll still silence you anyway.

I don't know who still plays this 'game', but I imagine that they will be just as rabid in their defense of their 'precious' as Gollum was focused on the One Ring. ZOSs own decisions that effected what they perceived to be a minority on their forums had to have been affecting a much larger group of customers necessitating this change of direction. The fact the game really is just a very limited ES 'lite' is also a contributing factor. The only people who would have accepted it would be people who never played an ES game in their life. The focus on how the economy worked well with guilds and not individual players also caused this. I know some would think that was a correct design, but the proof of the concept isn't on how that worked for those in guilds, but on how it worked for everyone as a whole that weren't in any one particular guild (you can't cherry pick an economy and claim success if only a very small part of the population succeeds, look to the real world for that as well).

I'm with Jackalope.

They are just preemptively dealing with the shitstorm that will result when they add items to the store that people don't like.

I agree, when they thought people would throw wads of cash at their non-game store for that fluff, some of which came with minor in game rewards, I was shocked. Who pays that kind of money for essentially paper weights? No, they'll start adding direct game effecting items in there because they need to find some way to bring in cash, and pay to win is the only way to do it if you aren't interested in fixing the glaring design issues.

I'm not mad at them, I gave it a shot, but what seems to be popular on the forum is not popular with the majority of players, myself among them, and we left.

I want to have a new T-Shirt made, Out Before F2P, signifying that I was able to see failure before they made that move.

I agree with Jackalope.

This is preety standard, it was done many times before in other games when game goes microtransaction for revenue.

I agree, when they thought people would throw wads of cash at their non-game store for that fluff, some of which came with minor in game rewards, I was shocked. Who pays that kind of money for essentially paper weights? No, they'll start adding direct game effecting items in there because they need to find some way to bring in cash, and pay to win is the only way to do it if you aren't interested in fixing the glaring design issues.

I'm not mad at them, I gave it a shot, but what seems to be popular on the forum is not popular with the majority of players, myself among them, and we left.

I want to have a new T-Shirt made, Out Before F2P, signifying that I was able to see failure before they made that move.

Would you believe my guild mates have actually put a T shit in motion? lol  -- some people were talking about wearing it to Pax ;)

Time will tell, it's not F2P, it's B2P, at least for now. Other games have managed not to go the P2W route, GW2, Rift, TSW. I'm actually interested in the clusterfuck ESO's store will become, because right now there's nothing at all in it, just a mount and the different versions of the game.