LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Bohemond

Boemond the Auto Attacking Champ

I'd like to see how it goes when you reach Angmar or Moria, just auto attack everything there!

Well here you go: Boemond the (no longer) undying (but still) autoattacker, rocking the full Armour of Fém

Also shown: "You have been playing for: 2 days 18 hours 38 minutes 32 seconds"

Pic 1: Zero completed class traits

Pic 2: Currently started class traits. 5 in total. Zero for skill use. Two for completing the L15 and L30 class quests. The other three for commencing the "legendary" books. Also note his amazing virtues!

Boh_Screen_Shot01321.jpg

Boh_Screen_Shot01322.jpg

• Upvote 2

Now heading for Moria!

Screen_Shot01326.jpg

Well, not quite just yet. Boemond is now 46th level. Still with just the 2 deaths. He has now completed all bar one of the Moria expedition quests. (Graug, the L50 sig isn't quite possible just yet. Probably try again at 47)

Filgogân, the orc caves to the southwest, was actually a lot of fun. Everything was orange, there was no way he could handle 2 at once. Usually just the one was easy, although once with a bit of bad luck it was a struggle and he had to use a heal pot.

The spawns in Filgogân are still quite dense, and not so boring static. So I had to watch my pathing carefully and keep an eye out for patrols. Also, given the relatively slow rate of killing, I also had to be wary of respawns.

One side effect of the auto attacking play style (that I may have mentioned earlier) is that more stats matter - vitality, might, fate are all of relatively high importance. It also means his recently acquired morale draining weapons make for an interesting, and relatively powerful, build.

Tbh to this day I'm still unsure about the logic they used to convince themselves such a revamp was a good idea as part of a paid for expansion. 

I think it was probably related to wanting to open up the 'HD experience' to L10 characters and the related level-scaling.

... more stats matter - vitality, might, fate are all of relatively high importance.

Did they make agility redundant for champs now? I can't remember what state it was in when I left.

Did they make agility redundant for champs now? I can't remember what state it was in when I left.

Not entirely, but close to it. I do remember the old invisible "to miss" stat that agility countered was officially removed a fair while ago but not sure exactly when.

For champs, it's just +agi to crit, +2x to parry and +3x evade. Boe's 122 agi translates to 2% evade, so while handy, it's not worth the trade of to stack it.

From memory, the first two are trival to cap at L100, and if you wanted, then I suppose you could use a bunch of essences to build up evade but I didn't get deep enough into that grind to find out if that tradeoff would have been worthwhile. I'd guess a big maybe for the moors, but I never really got around to testing exactly how finesse worked to see if that'd just negate it all anyway.

• Upvote 1

As much as I hated grinding out Alts I always got excited when it came time for Moria. While that tended to wear off after a few levels, I loved the Great Delving, the tunnels and corridors. It will be interesting to see how the auto attacking strategy goes. I did find the last time I ran through MoM that normal play was still reasonably entertaining if not challenging.

• Upvote 1

Moria will be interesting with no interrupts and no way to remove corruptions.

I am curious. Should be interesting. Can't recall offhand any must-remove corruptions in Moria though, at least not while using skills. Last time I was there on level was a hunter basically 1-2 shotting everything though. I suspect the stacking defence buff might cause a problem in lengthy fights, but so far everything (except some sigs) just runs out of power and is pretty much also just auto-attacking.

If I get that far, I would expect the Mirkwood sig orcs that start with a tiered +50% damage corruption to be very tough, perhaps even impossible on level. 

Forgot to update earlier: Finished Book 5 a few levels ago. The instance with Gimli was quite a challenge. Got it on the 6th attempt after coming back a little stronger. Basically I needed to have enough dps to pull Skorgrim off Gimil, or the dwarf would die every time. The Nazgul was actually fairly easy, although I had to do a little kiting to heal up on occasions given the reflect from my lack of Beleriand weapons. One of the pillar things got messy with an unending spawn of skeletons. Had to reset and come back and weave my way through without pulling anything.

Screen_Shot01323.jpg

Screen_Shot01324.jpg

Level 50!

(With just the 2 previously reported deaths)

And off to Moria:

Screen_Shot01335.jpg

Which thus far has been sadly way too easy. I haven't had a good look at the revamp until now and it's really quite disappointing. I remember Gamil Filik in the Silvertine Lodes being a real struggle when MoM first came out. Very easily overwhelmed, and had to roam far and wide to find all the maps. Boemond had no trouble. Spawns reduced, aggro range reduced, and maps thrown all over the place.

I also remember getting my arse handed to me by the Grodbog spitters. No more.

Screen_Shot01332.jpg

Barely a dent. No pots used. The gatherers were more damaging thanks to their reflect.

Thankfully it hasn't been 100% easy. Boemond was cruising along against this once dangerous sig. Looked to have another easy win when it was around maybe 1500 morale, it ripped out a wonderfully nasty corruption that turned the fight in no time. Boemond was very lucky not to have met his 3rd death.

Screen_Shot01334.jpg

(Of course, this fight would have been trivial for a normal skill using character)

Speaking of which. Boemond recently completed Book 7 Chapter 8 The Gates of Carn Dum. First few attempts below 50 Lorniel died early and often. But at 50 (and well prepared with Beleriand weapons) the instance was still quite a challenge - but doable. (I'll never understand how people on the OF can still complain this is too hard)

Screen_Shot01337.jpg

Screen_Shot01339.jpg

Speaking of which. Boemond recently completed Book 7 Chapter 8 The Gates of Carn Dum. First few attempts below 50 Lorniel died early and often. But at 50 (and well prepared with Beleriand weapons) the instance was still quite a challenge - but doable. (I'll never understand how people on the OF can still complain this is too hard)

I honestly thought this would be impossible, I didn't think you would be able to keep aggro or kill quick enough to keep Lorniel alive.

I honestly thought this would be impossible, I didn't think you would be able to keep aggro or kill quick enough to keep Lorniel alive.

Yeah I had my doubts, and while it was a near thing, it was relatively comfortable in the end. The instance took a while though. At least an hour.

It certainly helped that I was familiar with the place. Generally, all I had to do was hit everything once or twice to pull aggro, then focus on Lorniel's target (luckily her aggro didn't bounce around too much, so she generally only had the one target on her). The most difficult pull (as I expected) was the berserk giant + various angmarim. Once he joined in, I ran over to get him and my targets as far from Lorniel for as long as possible, then returned to help her out while the npcs made short work of the giant. Then it was basically more of the same (tank them all and focus on her target) and hope her morale holds out.

Now Boemond is semi-stuck on the first volume of book 8. The first two emissaries were easy, but the dourhand Laugi Goldentongue proved perhaps a little too difficult. He's pretty much a guardian, so aside from a bundle of parries and blocks, he repeatedly heals himself ~2k. I had whittled him down from 25k to 17k when the client crashed - felt like a memory leak. Will give him another go at 51, especially if I can get a new LI to drop. 

Half tempted to get the xp stopper to finish the SoA epics on level (or close to it). The main issue here is the loss of a very important +phys tac mit pocket item. Might pick up some scrolls from the AH if I go down that path. (Wasn't initially planning to do so, but use of such consumables has never been against my self imposed rule set)

Well, being the stubborn mofo that I am, I returned to the pesky dwarf while still (barely) at L50 and was victorious.

I learned from what didn't work the previous time and instead of using my LI, equipped morale drain weapons in both hands for a little added dps and healing (that adds up over a long fight - 18 minutes total)

This sort of stuff is why I'm finding this playstyle so unexpectedly engaging. I would have been robbed of all these interesting encounters had I been playing a normal traited/skill using character.

It was a close call though. Nope, no danger of dying. Crashed again with Laugi at 125/25000 ... luckily enough when I relogged, I was standing outside, quest completed.

Screen_Shot01359.jpg

So that means Boemond has basically finished Moria. Not entirely unscathed, but it was overall far far too easy.

His third ever death (at 57) occurred fighting the Watcher at the end of the looooonnng arse book instance The Drowned Treasury. Poor Boemond took a beating fighting the tentacles, but made short work of the squid once he ran all the way back with a single tentacle remaining.

It had been a while since I had last done that instance, so I couldn't recall how high the Watcher's health was when it fled and the fight was won, or whether you could just ignore the tentacles and focus on the body. As it turned out, he fled at around half health, so if he had simply focussed on the body, he probably could have avoided death #3

Two more deaths before he was done with Moria, both from being rather careless. The first in that poison orc area where he was fighting 3 blues and left it too late to flee - 2 were defilers, their heals extending the fight and their range ensuring I couldn't get away.

The next was in the foundations of stone which - sadly, is really very easy now. I was a little distracted (I do a lot of multi tasking when playing my auto attacker) while fighting the Rock Warden sig and made the double mistake of accidentally pulling a ranged respawn and not noticing for a few crucial seconds. Tried to flee, got falling damage and pulled another. Boom.

Overall, I've enjoyed Moria just barely enough to stick it out. This is the first time I've played through the revamped Moria and frankly it's horrible. Far too easy. Spawns have been shredded. It feels mostly empty. Questing is all sterile and artificially streamlined from hub to hub to hub in a misguided attempt to be "user friendly" but screw any sense of danger or immersion. I also noticed a large number of bullshit click on a bunch of crap quests while not in any danger - I'd love to slap whichever idiot who thought they were such a great gameplay idea.

While SoA has certainly been nerfed in many places, Moria was an even more neutered experience. It really was one major disappointment after another.

Even Balin's Camp - which used to be HARD - was face roll easy to auto attack well under level (Most of it done at 54 vs 58s)

Screen_Shot01351.jpg

Edited by Bohemond
  • Upvote 1

Mirkwood intro completed ... including Hilltop Assault

Screen_Shot01365.jpg

This was another tough one. Took me about 4-5 attempts. First couple were not even close, but I soon realised why: going into the boss fight, Fuirgam and Agorin were almost out of power and not quite full morale.

I addressed this by waiting on top of the last spawn of orcs (which appear when the second troll dies) to grab aggro and running them past the elves, down the hill and out the gate as far as I could. The elves gave chase, and with the last orc dead pretty much as far from the boss as possible, the long walk back gave them ample time to regen to full morale and power.

Still wasn't quite enough - but very close, Fuirgam dying with the commander at 3820/54495

(Note he still has his +50% damage corruption up)

Screen_Shot01364.jpg

Now, because I don't know the right way to play modern LOTRO, my first recourse was not to flee to the forums and demand it be nerfed down to my chosen play style. I was instead encouraged by progress and tried again, this time staying on the boss the entire time instead of trying to pull the adds he summons during the fight. I even swapped out my off hand with an armour rending weapon, figuring every little bit counts - especially with a whole bunch of friendly npcs beating on him.

It was still a near thing. With the boss down, there were 4 adds all targeting Fuirgam. Fortunately he had yet to hit any of them and I was able to grab all but one with a quick tap (helped here by the other elves too) then focus on his target to whittle them down one by one.