LOTROCommunity
Kairos

An indication of things to come?

The following was posted on The Western Alliance kinship forum today:

*removed by request*

Don't know about you, but to me that response sounds snotty and leaves a nasty taste, like something a sneaky and definitely hostile lawyer would come up with. If that's a foretaste of life under Turbine, I think may already be regretting Codies...

Edited by MueR

Well it is definitely not the happiest mood it creates, Kai, and for sure I will miss the Codies Events. Now I am all the more happy I took part in the last Ettens GM-events. Sweet memory of the past :'(

*removed by request*

Don't know about you, but to me that response sounds snotty and leaves a nasty taste, like something a sneaky and definitely hostile lawyer would come up with. If that's a foretaste of life under Turbine, I think may already be regretting Codies...

What we need to understand is that how they deal with things will be different to how Codemasters resolved things. Also you have to consider the tone is quite natural for someone working in the US.

I actually PM'd Sap and introduced myself in the hope of making progress in this are and it was fairly positive. For a good example Turbine fully support Weatherstock which is HUGE in terms of performance loss/lag. So based on that i'm fairly certain we as a community can show them this is what Euro's want and explain why we like them. The interesting thing is the Turbine players were a tad jealous of how CM hosted events :).

Finally some of the reply actually answers a few things I already suspected.

Edited by MueR

*removed by request*

My wager is that he didn't want to state the real reason: No US GM wants to be confronted with sparring requests from a mob of people who bought pitchforks from the Mathom House. ;)

Edited by MueR

It is very sad to see, isn't it?

In the days before the Warner buyout, we rarely, if ever, saw such blatantly obvious 'corporate speak' in responses or press releases. Even when they were relaying bad or regrettable news, there was always the sense that you were interacting with human beings. Heck, even Jeffrey Steefel came across as being casual and conversational, even if he wasn't a gifted man when it came to talking to the public and the press.

Warner come along and almost overnight Turbine were transformed. I reckon we'll see more and more of this arrogant lawyerese in their communication with their customers if the newfound disregard they have for us is any indication.

They don't interact with us nowadays. They certainly don't listen to feedback. They issue press releases and remove from history anything untoward anybody says, leaving only fawning acquiescence. Presumably that's how a gaming arm of the Warner moneymaking juggernaut is required to behave.

It makes me wonder how many of the field-level staff at Turbine are becoming disgruntled at the corporate transformation of their once independent employers. It can't be a comfortable ride for them, either.

*removed by request*

That's probably corporate speak for "We don't want to do it."

Interesting they said the events were 'unauthorised'. I thought the servers belonged to Codemasters...

I just had to laugh at the "risk parameters" line... :P I mean, Risk.. to whom.. to what.. risk that the server crashes? Oh.. but it was fun :*)

And as KitKat points out.. those were CM servers.. maybe Sapience is implying that the Turbine ones are not as good >:)

'Unauthorised' probably means that the devs who programmed that functionality have long since moved on to other projects and those left working on lotro can't work out how to do it without breaking the game totally.

"The threads have been removed. "

translation:

we have deleted the item and have stored copies in case a law suit needs to be filed.

Codemasters ran a number of unauthorized events that were not within acceptable server performance and risk parameters.

translation:

Codemasters did not ask us for permission beforehand. They received punishment for it.

We cannot run these on the US servers as the team that built the game never authorized these to be run on any server anywhere

translation:

We are not doing whatever it is you want us to do because it would cost money.

As clearly a formal: 'fuck off' as you can expect from an American company -- they just don't use that particular kind of language.

Binabik

the Turbine ones are not as good :)

This is also why they can't update the character models or upgrade the housing. 7(8)7

I just had to laugh at the "risk parameters" line... :P I mean, Risk.. to whom.. to what.. risk that the server crashes? Oh.. but it was fun :*)

Exactly :)

The kind of language people would use to sound important.

Binabik

Also the tone of this reply at least for me suggest that relationship between CM and Turbine was icy cold...

And as KitKat points out.. those were CM servers.. maybe Sapience is implying that the Turbine ones are not as good :)

Thats it, thanks to write it down in english language.

I've always thought that LotRO is exceptionally panicky when it comes to servers and the chance/risk of them crashing. It's happened in other games and we survived. Usually, most of the characters survived as well or found themselves at a resurrection point afterwards. ;)

Unauthorised does sound a bit condescending, though. Bad little children. Baaaad!

relationships with us companies are always ice cold. there are no nice, friendly and sympathetic us corporations.

Hang on Honvik, this is normal tone of responses from them? That's bordering on offensive! And they said *we* were bad... 7(8)7

Turbine forums are looking like even more of a no-go area. I'm glad CM hosted a few events up until the end, and two fingers to Turbine! :Y)

(the pitchfork was as close as I could get) :P

My wager is that he didn't want to state the real reason: No US GM wants to be confronted with sparring requests from a mob of people who bought pitchforks from the Mathom House. ;)

Or: "Our GMs are there to work, not to have fun"

And yes - I see a lot of us claiming Codies back.

maybe Sapience is implying that the Turbine ones are not as good >:)

In fact Belegaer has the best hardware of all LotRO-Servers worldwide. "Ours" used to be better (hardware-wise) then Turbine's.

Amazing that Sapience can still hold down a job in PR. Why they would leave that guy in charge of any aspect of the business that interfaces with the public is totally beyond me. Unless, of course, he isn't really a loose cannon...

I've always thought that LotRO is exceptionally panicky when it comes to servers and the chance/risk of them crashing. It's happened in other games and we survived. Usually, most of the characters survived as well or found themselves at a resurrection point afterwards. ;)

Unauthorised does sound a bit condescending, though. Bad little children. Baaaad!

Somehow, this makes me think it might not be Turbine taking over -- but Codemasters getting from under Turbine's shoe. Which I would do too if I had someone peeking over my shoulder ALL THE TIME. Even for a community-improving event, they get slapped on the wrist.

Binabik

well ... just think about good ol' Jeff Steefel ... Sapience isn't really worse ... not even really different.

Actually, apart from the icily polite "fuck you" corporate speak of the response, what comes across is the amazing authoritarianism: *removed on request *.

Edited by MueR

I think the use of the word unauthorised is very rude and very tactless. Bear in mind they just lost a very big contract I think it is very rude to use such language. I hope now that Codies spill what really went on with the F2P issues last year.

PJ.

well ... just think about good ol' Jeff Steefel ... Sapience isn't really worse ... not even really different.

Maybe Sapience IS Jeff Steefel :D:Y