LOTROCommunity

The Rage Corner

Doro

My mother had lung cancer and can count the cigarettes she smoked in her life on one hand. Mesothelioma is the exception to the rule. She also beat the cancer :)

Grats to her for beating it. Nice to hear a success story :)

And yeah some rarer forms of lung neoplasms does not have high connection to smoking.  Most common ones namely adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and small cell lung cancers definately are though.

Edited by drul

I've been enjoying my anger, watching YouTube videos of cops thinking they're some sort of unquestionable authority.

The amount of prick cops out there fucking with people over petty things is insane.

Edit: tried to link 2 videos and the post broke them. This new posting system really does suck balls.

When a cop is in the middle of a stop, the main objective is to control the situation. If as the person being stopped you make the choice to not allow the situation to be under control, well if you have half a brain you know damn well an ass whoopin' is on it's way. If you have a condition that could make that ass whooping deadly to you and you choose to upset the situation anyways, well Natural Selection works when allowed.

Nah. After the big dude was on the ground with several cops on top of him, you can safely call it situation under control. You can hear a few times 'I can't breathe' in the video, yet all of them were still playing a football (US) game. The overreaction led to this kill, and since it wasn't you and me doing the arrest but (supposedly) police professionals, the excuse is really nonexistent. Although I admit that I can't always distinguish who is a proper cop, who is a 'guard' or whatever, etc. an amateur wannabe Rambo with a gun.

If there is any selection involved in all this, it has nothing to do with nature and much to do with who and how joins Da Force.

I'm fairly sure that it's actually a law in the US. I've seen videos of cops offering the ultimatum of either taking the ticket or being arrested. Surely they couldn't arrest you if it wasn't a crime?

As I said in the quote, I was talking about UK.

There is plenty of evidence that smoking increases the chance f getting serious illnesses.  Smokers are 5-10 times more likely to get lung cancer than non smokers.  In the US the average age for a lung cancer diagnosis is 70, with only 10% of cases being in someone under the age of 50.  

Or so they tell us, just how much of that is really true.

You actually believe that smoking may not be a health hazard? Really? Really? That may be the biggest facepalm moment ever on these forums.

That being said, neither I or the doctors have a clue if smoking caused my cancer, I never smoked more than a pack a day and most recently 5 smokes a day during the work week, even less on weekends, I've since quit again. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can quit at the drop of a hat and rarely "jones" for a smoke.

30+ years being radiated on by radars, VHF's, SSB's, etc. working in shipyards around toxic chemicals, and lots and lots of soldering with 60/40 lead/tin solder probably was the cause, but smoking certainly didn't help.

No I'm not saying smoking is not a health hazard, there are clearly obvious health hazards, I just don't believe them to be as bad as the government and some doctors say. 

As to the link to cancer, I used to do a lot of work for a company called Fulcrum Pharma, and one of the things I was told at the time by staff I spoke to is that the link between lung cancer and smoking hasn't been proven, there's a lot of evidence to support it but there's always been other factors involved that could be contributory factors as in your case with the chemicals and the radiation etc. so they cannot be truly sure. 

Edit: Multiple edits due to the quote system being borked.

Edited by androclese

Or so they tell us, just how much of that is really true.

It is. Like I've said go to any cancer center or lung disaeses hospital and check how many of patients are or were (usually relatively recently) smokers.  Really I had not believed it myself that correlation is so high until I've saw it with my own eyes.

Edited by drul

Today's rage is dedicated to this fucker:

Hidden Content

That's right. For much of the year, he's nothing more than a glorified light bulb. A luminescent bastard with a sadistic desire to burn the pale.

But now it's beyond the joke. I feel like a Jew in goddamn Auschwitz. I feel like somebody's swapped my country for Australia. If people were to ask for a steak medium rare, they'd have to put ice cubes on it. If there were temperatures so high that they couldn't feasibly be reached in our universe, they'd still be lower than the current temperature of the air around me. And if it were a more respectful temperature, I'd think up some more bollocks about it being too hot. But it's too fucking hot.

And even when the bastard has fucked off to the other side of the planet, it's STILL too hot to sleep. Fans just move hot air around and air con units are melting like a snowman in Majorca. That enormous, celestial cock is pissing me off. I say we relocate. Find a nice red star to settle down around.

OK I called Doro a delicate flower after he made this post... my turn to wilt.

Only getting up to ~31 C today but the humidity is brutal at ~42 C when factored in... Arrg... air conditioners can't keep up and even at night the low is ~22 with humidity.

Pan Am games currently in Toronto and I would bet even the athletes are wilting. (perhaps some of those from more tropical climates are laughing at us though)

Any from American north east also melting?

I am not from NA, but it's same thing in my part of Poland too.  It was up to 35 C yesterday, but with lot of rain/storms as well.  Strong Sun/rain/sun/rain (which is preety unusual for PL)  Today bit cooler but still over 30C and some rain as well, so humidity is peety high.    It's as tropical as Poland can get.

Working 7 days a week in a factory with no air just down the road in Windsor, ON. A little melty bit not working hard so isn't so bad.

I am only a short distance from Windsor but I have noticed you are consistently warmer in summer and winter. Hope that the factory at least has very good ventilation as it would be murder.

I am not from NA, but it's same thing in my part of Poland too.  It was up to 35 C yesterday, but with lot of rain/storms as well.  Strong Sun/rain/sun/rain (which is preety unusual for PL)  Today bit cooler but still over 30C and some rain as well, so humidity is peety high.    It's as tropical as Poland can get.

Ouch! 

OK I called Doro a delicate flower after he made this post... my turn to wilt.

Only getting up to ~31 C today but the humidity is brutal at ~42 C when factored in... Arrg... air conditioners can't keep up and even at night the low is ~22 with humidity.

Pan Am games currently in Toronto and I would bet even the athletes are wilting. (perhaps some of those from more tropical climates are laughing at us though)

Any from American north east also melting?

Stop using them thar furiegn temperature numbers and it wouldn't be so hot. The problem is your houses are made to keep heat in and you probably don't buy big enough ACs. In the south houses are made to keep the heat out. If it stays in the 20's more than a few hours I'd freeze my ass off in my house and couldn't afford to pay the electric bill.

88 here with 76% humidly, a rather cool day for Florida.

Working 7 days a week in a factory with no air just down the road in Windsor, ON. A little melty bit not working hard so isn't so bad.

I worked a year in a shipyard building steel ships, no insulation. It would get to 120 inside, after that 90 feels like a winter day.

I once said Germaine Greer was a decent version of a feminist (as opposed to the shrill feminazis that make problems out of nothing). I officially take that back.

I genuinely have no idea what sort of childhood she must have had to think that kissing your child goodnight is TEACHING THEM TO FLIRT. Or that kids wearing pink clothes is SEXUALISING THEM. How demented must you be to see sexual things like that in children?

I once said Germaine Greer was a decent version of a feminist (as opposed to the shrill feminazis that make problems out of nothing). I officially take that back.

I genuinely have no idea what sort of childhood she must have had to think that kissing your child goodnight is TEACHING THEM TO FLIRT. Or that kids wearing pink clothes is SEXUALISING THEM. How demented must you be to see sexual things like that in children?

And, as usual, I agree with the guy (Hitchings?) who was being booed in that clip.

I often wonder what would happen if we took our society today and travelled back in time 50 years and were to show people back then what we have become. Bruce Jenner? Miley Cyrus twerking? ...

Edited by fittybolger

Germaine Greer has been slowly falling out of her tree for a few years now. 

Little children beauty pageants... need I say more... horrendous and should be out right banned. 

Ouch! 

Yeah, it's preety hot summer in Poland so far.  Fortunatelly it stopped raining so often, humidity got down, it is getting relatively dry again so it's much easier atm.  Temperatures are still 30-31, but it's much more comfortable now.

Generally high humidity is making life harder.  It's a same thing in winter.  It is MUCH easier to withstand the cold temperatures in winter when humidity is low, the lower the better.   Imho it is much more comfortable with -15C with very low humidity than -5C with high humidity.

Stop using them thar furiegn temperature numbers

Convert to Celcius, kilograms, km/h and metric system finally ! You know it is coming to you sooner or later, so stop resisting :P 

Edited by drul

Convert to Celcius, kilograms, km/h and metric system finally ! You know it is coming to you sooner or later, so stop resisting :P 

Haha... I was on a work trip to Manchester UK and the driver from airport to work took me on one of their "M" series highways. Well it was a Sunday morning and roads were empty so... I was in the back seat and it seemed we were going rather fast so I looked over his shoulder and speedometer was at 115. I thought that was normal speed I'm used to on our "400" series highways... so a few seconds pass and it clicks in MPH not KPH. lol. I was a wimp and told him to slow down = I don't know the driver or the vehicle and I didn't want to be scraped off the road with a toothbrush.

Little children beauty pageants... need I say more... horrendous and should be out right banned. 

^^^^THIS

I have no problem with the metric system, I've been an electrician and electronics tech all my life, electricity has always been metric, and as a carpenter I know to use the metric system to make more precise cuts, but I doubt I could ever get use to Celsius :)