LOTROCommunity

Is it time for a new company to take over LOTRO?

AltofFrodo,

i would be terrified of any company who thought it would be a good idea to utilize the existing assets that are the current game Turbine currently hosts.

utterly terrified.

it is a system bloated mess of data that does not perform up to todays standards.  all the bells and whistles literally clog & often cripple the core of the engine and client.

yes other games may have elements that visually offend you, but they run well.  comparatively very well.

anyone who would fork out the needed funds, to inherit this game, is a rank and file amateur.

& Warner has literally tied every element of this "Tolkien License" up.  they, a corporation, have what is called a monopoly.  in what world does an entity, know for power consolidation, suddenly do a 180 and head in the other direction...  short of a court order?

your bright eyed enthusiasm is misplaced.

all the cynicism you are getting isn't because we all suddenly realized, "Hey, i think i'll be grump today.  that sounds like a stellar idea."

no.

this isn't the first, or second, or third time round the wheel on this subject.  & frankly, your thinking, is entirely inside the box.  and that box has mold growing inside it.

you truly are wasting your time.  it is yours to waste, however.  but if you are truly intent on touting this, you might want to find a group of folk, who know absolutely nothing about LoTRO.  might i suggest those under the age of 10.

seriously, 8 year old game.  subject is old hat.  & in the age of internet, 8 years is opportunity enough for a project to be realized.

& if Warner does somehow consider a "NEW" MMO for Lotro...  if it happens in the next couple years...  based off their current course, for anyone paying attention, isn't that hard to define...  will very likely be something you will not like.

...unless of course you like playing on a mobile device, with time gated pay-walls galore, that make the current Lotro store look like a light weight when it comes to shaking the cash out of your wallet?

anyway, i and as you can see, pretty much everyone else who posted previously, is not infected by your enthusiasm.  you have a very stale and unoriginal idea, that does not have real world workability.

sorry.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That old used programmer can totally do this.

I dont think there is any chance the WB would sell LOTRO to any other company, since WB hold all the gaming licences for LOTR, so it would need to be done under licence from WB which would be little d

AltofFrodo,

You are right in that it is past time for a new caretaker of the Lord of the Rings IP. Your ideas and others related to it have been discussed by many, as well as the discussion on the LOTRO 2 idea.  The obstacles are many to the point of not truly making it worth exploring, however.  I think you're looking at it from 'What a great game it could be!' perspective.  The realities on the business side care little for such sentiment.

AltofFrodo, it sounds like there's a lot you enjoy about LOTRO, especially the world and the story.  

I can appreciate that, and I can see why you'd want to see the game given better treatment than it gets from Turbine now.

I don't think that's very likely to happen, and I think the best thing you can do is to keep playing and enjoying it while you can.  I'd also suggest that you keep trying other games to see what's out there, you never know if your next new favorite is out there waiting for you to find it.

A license for an IP like LOTR is far more valuable to them sitting gathering dust because of the future potential of the IP, they would be losing future potential marketing potential if they transferred the license elsewhere and would stand to lose more than they would gain by selling off a failing online game.

The simple fact that they have the rights to the license means that nobody else can profit from the specifics of that license and they can produce another game any time they wanted to.

As was said previously if anything they would simply close down Turbine and LotRO and produce a new lotR based online game using either another of their existing developers or buying out another software house to do the work.

LOTRO is still making money for Turbine. Don't be mistaken. They would have shut it down long ago if it wasn't making them money. It is likely making them less money than they promised their Overlords. That's when you see budget cuts and layoffs.

LOTRO is still lingering on and they're keeping it running as long as benefits > costs. It's the milking game, and it has been this for quite a while.

I'd love to see LOTRO 2.0, featuring a high fidelity graphic Middle Earth, a fully explorable environment (no artificial walls), dastardly intelligent AI on mobs, open world housing, ArcheAge style farming, Minecraft style mining, Landmark style building, ES:Skyrim like housing decorating, dynamic economies with regional differences, trading, with safe trading and riskier trading.

Open world PvP, equally viable options to play as 'Good' and 'Bad', dynamic government of regions based on whichever faction has dominance over it - YES let the Shire be sacked or let Mordor be terraformed into an Elven Forest.

Also a system that smartly adds consequence to our player actions. If you're playing a good guy, better be real good. If you're playing a bad guy, expect no quarter.

Also different forms of PvE. Not just 'farming X mobs'. Include hunting in the wilds, and real fishing. Yeah actual fishing!

Crafting, but with the ability to decide a lot more parts of what you're making. More elaborate color schemes, and playermade prints.

Also player created content: you could farm 100 turnips and put them on auction. Or you could farm 100 turnips and hand them in to another player and recieve a reward that on the long run pays off more than short term money. And the ability to sell your own goods at your house.

Also proper means to protect against hacking, exploiting and griefing.

Also NO in game gambling. And no dominance of the RNG as a means to distribute loot.

It's nice to daydream away about things that will never come to pass.

• Upvote 1

What makes more sense than another company taking over is a dedicated group of players taking over the game - at the time that Turbine shuts it down. This seems pretty hard, though, due to IP issues. And the players would have to agree that this would be completely not for profit - and some other limitations probably. There is some precedence - there was another major, older title that a group of players took over after the company retired the game (can't remember which one right now).

Of course this would be hard to make happen - but I actually think some people at Turbine would support this idea - as a way of keeping the world alive. I would guess that if this happened - it would be a Lotro pretty much frozen in the state it is when Turbine decides to shut down the game on their servers. This, of course, is going to happen at some time in the next 3(?) years.

What makes more sense than another company taking over is a dedicated group of players taking over the game - at the time that Turbine shuts it down. This seems pretty hard, though, due to IP issues. And the players would have to agree that this would be completely not for profit - and some other limitations probably. There is some precedence - there was another major, older title that a group of players took over after the company retired the game (can't remember which one right now).

Of course this would be hard to make happen - but I actually think some people at Turbine would support this idea - as a way of keeping the world alive. I would guess that if this happened - it would be a Lotro pretty much frozen in the state it is when Turbine decides to shut down the game on their servers. This, of course, is going to happen at some time in the next 3(?) years.

OSI/EA released the source code of their space MMO Earth & Beyond to the player base so that they could run player owned servers after EA shut the game down, a hell of a surprising move from EA.

Also SOE eventually tacitly agreed to allow SwG EMU to continue (from what I understand they didn't agree to let them develop the emulator but agreed not to continue to pursue it) after they had shut down despite relentlessly pursuing them over IP rights while the game was still running.

FunCom has just announced that they have procured the LotRO licence. Joel Bylos has been put in charge of moving the game to FunCom including a massive code rewrite for the Dreamworld Engine 3.0 as well as setting game direction.

Ok, not true but one can wish....

FunCom has just announced that they have procured the LotRO licence. Joel Bylos has been put in charge of moving the game to FunCom including a massive code rewrite for the Dreamworld Engine 3.0 as well as setting game direction.

Well, he'd be right at home with the Demon Goats in Enedwaith! :+  

lol but it would be so awesome to have that kind of dev team for LotRO.

In all honesty I think they could do a hell of a job with LotRO from a small Update style model. To do something big in classic mmo style would pretty much limit it to Blizzard and they wouldn't take the current game over but do a LotRO2 I imagine.

I would prefer ANet. Just a stroll through Divinity's Reach in GW2 and I droll over what they could have done with Gondor.

Only hope for Lotro is a private server like SWGEmu, WoW private servers,  or countless UO servers or many other privater servers for many mmorpg's.   Thing is developing server from a scratch need years of effort (to have fully working on, with mobs AI, scripted events, quests, dungeons, etc) and a group of dedicated people with knowegedle ready to work on it for free basically.

Only hope for Lotro is a private server like SWGEmu, WoW private servers,  or countless UO servers or many other privater servers for many mmorpg's.   Thing is developing server from a scratch need years of effort (to have fully working on, with mobs AI, scripted events, quests, dungeons, etc) and a group of dedicated people with knowegedle ready to work on it for free basically.

I see a Lotro private server as pretty much impossible - mainly because there is no team of people to work on it. In the WoW private server realm, anyone can easily set up a private server - the emulators are all public and done by others at this point. You still need some coders though. But people set up the servers to make money. Starting from scratch with Lotro - seems to me like it will never happen - unless you get a few people with a lot of time to work on it.  

I think a group of players working with Turbine have a better chance. They have to specify the limits of what they would do - to make it something Turbine/WB might agree to. But I have zero confidence in Turbine management at this point - I can't see them doing anything that will not profit themselves. And a lot of the people who created Lotro, and put all their love into it, are already gone from Turbine.

I see a Lotro private server as pretty much impossible - mainly because there is no team of people to work on it. In the WoW private server realm, anyone can easily set up a private server - the emulators are all public and done by others at this point. You still need some coders though. But people set up the servers to make money. Starting from scratch with Lotro - seems to me like it will never happen - unless you get a few people with a lot of time to work on it.  

I think a group of players working with Turbine have a better chance. They have to specify the limits of what they would do - to make it something Turbine/WB might agree to. But I have zero confidence in Turbine management at this point - I can't see them doing anything that will not profit themselves. And a lot of the people who created Lotro, and put all their love into it, are already gone from Turbine.

True, private server will not happen because no team to do this.   If there was no team willing to create Lotro private server during it's peak (SoA-MoM) or during greatest change Lotro underwent (F2P)  then it does not seem like it will be now when Lotro it's in toilet.

As for players 'working with Turbine'  -  first of all why would Turbine/WB allow to such thing to happen to one of most valuable IP they have de-facto control over? Or why would Tolkien Estates (or whatever those companies that hold liceninsing rights to ME are acalled)  allow this?     Remember this Skyrim mod MERP? 

So no It's not happening.

I just meant that 0,001% chance of some group of people creating Lotro server is still bigger than WB  & Tolkien whatever  both agreeing give out Lotr IP by officially give server software to people.

SWGEmu exists because it was developed 'under the radar' by group of people themself and is so little so LucasArts/Diseny don't give a shit.

and SOE/Daybreak does not give a shit either since they don't have anything to do with Star Wars IP themself anymore.

That old used programmer can totally do this.

I sent him a PM to make sure he doesn't make it too hard.

I hate how Turbine is catering to raiders - the game is way too hard now - what about the rest of us.

• Upvote 1