LOTROCommunity

Infinite Crisis PAX East 2015 & STEAM & Official Game Launch

so Infinite Crisis is going to officially launch on STEAM on March 26 2015.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345520/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_2

that was announced at this years PAX East.

PAXEast2015_IC_zpsdc90xgd3.png

so as of March 26, 2015, it would appear BETA is over.

booth isn't as much as last year, but still pretty damn big & on prime floor space.

https://guidebook.com/guide/29381/map/37485/

i guess the official launch still justified marketing spending big.

still none of those swag infinite crisis chairs...

infinite-crisis-dxracer-chair-as-seen-on

this year, THEY STAND!

IC_2015PAXEast_zpsji1aasbo.png

i was slow with this one, sorry. 

WB-Turbine didn't promote Lotro when The Hobbit movies came out nor at conventions last year, so it's blindingly obvious what their plans are. Why would anyone think Lotro could be turned around when money isn't being spent on it?

I feel a little bad for the peons working for Turbine for a paycheck, because IC sure isn't something to be proud of on one's resume.

Why would anyone think Lotro could be turned around when money isn't being spent on it?

I feel a little bad for the peons working for Turbine for a paycheck, because IC sure isn't something to be proud of on one's resume.

the hope of a fool, I guess.  but I agree with you 100%.

the hope of a fool, I guess.  but I agree with you 100%.

true, but at this point what other choice do they have? Every other bridge has been burned.  DDO(I have no idea of it's current state) alone won't be enough to carry them, Lotro is all but gutted, AC AC2 draw no revenue, all other projects went up in flames over the years. /shrugs

the money shot from Saturdays crowds:

PAXEast_Crowd_zpsmbygqplh.png

the approach & scale is so much more different this year.  only the 8 standing terminals this year, with the game for demo & no tournament...  all those terminals in the background are for Dreadnought, (FTP space battleship shooter from GreyBox, slated for release later this year.)

for reference, here is last year:

maxresdefault.jpg

basically twice the size, or they had 2 prime floor spaces, (one for tournament & one for demoing game) instead of the one this year.

so whilst still expensive, in fashion counter to the MOBA scene, they did not attempt to outdo last years effort...  (Thankfully!!!)  they simply DO NOT have a player-base substantial enough to finance (justify) the expenditure.

still i am surprised it got this much funds, regardless.

but i have a feeling my eye can finally start to drift away from watching this one.  i have said elsewhere,  throw this one up on STEAM and call it a day.  which now appears to be happening, before month end.

so, i predict very soon, the IC team will be culled to a small operating team.  asset (skin) artist, champion dev. and community rep & a small peripheral contingent of technicians who can keep the game online.  a select few will be poached for the the rest will be let go.

No LOTRO presence...during the same year that we will be at the gates of Minas Tirith.  They should be promoting the hell out of this game, not some trend-of-the-moment MOBA.

well Frelorn is on the floor.  but he has been straddling multiple Turbine projects for some time.

but as to should they be promoting the game (LOTRO)  i can't say i'd agree there.  honestly, it has too many performance issues & ones that i don't see most actual gamers looking past...  not even casual mobile gamers.  for all my disgust with the current directions corporations are taking with mobile games, the successful ones do play very well, have intuitive interfaces, etc.

it really would be a waste of promotional dollars.

as i have pointed out above, the launch of Infinite Crisis, even though it has no marketable player-base, merited half the floorspace of the previous year.  again, not because it is the next massive hit, but rather it is part of a much larger franchise.  & an intellectual franchise that Warner owns outright, so entirely different licensing involved.

Guardians of Middle Earth still plugs along on STEAM:

http://steamcharts.com/app/111900#All

with an abysmal daily user average.  now this game has such a low player pulse, it doesn't even register a ranking on:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Guardians+of+Middle+Earth

yet Warner still keeps the lights on for that utter & complete failure, but they no longer spend promotional dollars on it.

this year, Warners first promotional efforts were focused on the Game Developers conference & marketing their up and coming 5 new mobile games:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/03/warner-bros-unveils-4-new-mobile-games/

they follow where they think the money will go next.  & whilst they may seem a bunch of detached suits staring down on the masses from their towers of glass and steel...  thinking LOTRO an 8 year old game, that had it's first few years of promotion at conventions...

image088.jpg0,1425,sz=1&i=228261,00.jpgturbine_pax_cs_01.jpg

in all honesty, it has had its ample chance.

i think on this call, the suits have it right.

So, is there or isn't there a LOTRO presence this year?

no, you can see Frelorn is clearly wearing the Infinite Crisis T-shirt, (the logo...  i can't imagine what is going on in marketing heads on that one...  but DC comic superheroes, isn't the first thing that pops into my head.  *shrug*)

this is just Infinite Crisis for PAX East 2015.  the mobile stuff (Arkham: Underworld, the unnamed Game of Thrones one isn't ready for show) is at the GDC.

no AC, DDO, or LOTRO at either.

Well the LOTRO twitter feed was telling folks to come to the booth to maybe get a LOTRO shirt, so that's something.

Not saying that it's much, but it's something.

Edited to add:  They included a photo of a "white tree of Gondor" shirt that I remember seeing for sale on the WB website, so if that's what they were giving away, it might not even say LOTRO on it unless they had someone add it to the shirt.

Same as last year, right?

So again, who thinks WB-Turbine has any intention of even trying to turn Lotro around?

Riiiiight.

Well the LOTRO twitter feed was telling folks to come to the booth to maybe get a LOTRO shirt, so that's something.

Must be just leftovers. I highly doubt they would have gone to the trouble of ordering a screenprint batch.

Edited to add:  They included a photo of a "white tree of Gondor" shirt that I remember seeing for sale on the WB website, so if that's what they were giving away, it might not even say LOTRO on it unless they had someone add it to the shirt.

someone must have found another old box of stuff marked, "LOTRO promo"

i just looked at the twitter feed. and they did say to come by the "Infinite Crisis" Booth, and ask for a shirt...

regardless, there isn't anything LOTRO related on display.  that booth is more for the eyes of the press, than the public anyway.  the game is going to Officially launch...  almost 2 years later than originally announced, (Fall 2013) but launch just the same.

See my update to my post, you're probably right.  :)

i go to check to make sure my FALL 2013 original launch date was correct and you update ;)

regardless, old stock is very likely the closet they are cleaning out.

DDO(I have no idea of it's current state) alone won't be enough to carry them, Lotro is all but gutted, AC AC2 draw no revenue, all other projects went up in flames over the years. /shrugs

DDO is in really bad shape. About as bad as Lotro in terms of inverstment (and huge decline in player base), but I don't know if performance is as bad as Lotro.

true, but at this point what other choice do they have? Every other bridge has been burned.  DDO(I have no idea of it's current state) alone won't be enough to carry them, Lotro is all but gutted, AC AC2 draw no revenue, all other projects went up in flames over the years. /shrugs

Turbine can be simply gutted to the bone, it may do work for other WB studios, can be assigned new project,  can start doing mobile games or tooling for WB online division or anything or it might get closed.

What surely won't be happening is Lotro or DDO getting big bucks again and having a turnaround.

Turbine can be simply gutted to the bone, it may do work for other WB studios, can be assigned new project,  can start doing mobile games or tooling for WB online division or anything or it might get closed.

What surely won't be happening is Lotro or DDO getting big bucks again and having a turnaround.

i've linked this info in the Mobile thread, but that one isn't getting much traffic.  possibly my fault there as it is an older thread added to.

but what Turbine is doing next, is now a known.  this is no longer the realm of a guess, or speculation, it has been officially announced directly from Warner Corporate:

Batman: Arkham Underworld, Turbine

“Rule Gotham City! Build your hideout, then recruit and train an army of henchmen to do your bidding. Command iconic super-villains from the Batman: Arkham universe, including the Riddler, Harley Quinn and Killer Croc, to become Gotham City’s next criminal kingpin. Sign up for beta at www.arkhamunderworld.com.”

&

Game of Thrones, Turbine

(Game title to be revealed at a later time)

“Conquer Westeros in an epic combat strategy game based on the hit television series from HBO®. Prove the wit of your spies and the might of your forces on the battlefield as you extend your dominance across the seven Kingdoms. Join an alliance, rise to power, and then try to take the Iron Throne if you dare!”

2 mobile games are the immediate future.  & depending on how they pan out, probably more of the same.

additionally, internally Warners subsidiary umbrella network of acquired companies tends to have a lot of cross over.  some of Turbines staff worked on Shadows of Mordor for example, which is Monoliths game.  but since both are subsidiaries of Warner, internally crossover happens.

Turbine has also had access to Warners DC franchise & staff for Infinite Crisis.

and for the mobile games, they additionally have access to the San Fransisco office opened by Warner and headed by Greg Ballard, specifically for mobile game development across the studio.  for the unnamed "Game of Thrones" mobile project HBO where the show is aired, falls again under Warners corporate umbrella.

so Turbine as an MMO studio may be next to meaningless... they have been given a lifeline via mobile game apps & the internal crossover with other Warner subsidiaries.

Thanks Lasrael 

That does not seem surprising, but nice to have confirmation !

As for MMO - yeah - until last year I was wondering if Turbine had maybe some MMO(RPG) project that was started in 2008-2010 and they are still working on, but nope. 

Not that it would change much,  with current MMORPG trends in regards to gameplay and business models it would not have been game for me anyway.

Anyway future as studio making low-to-medium budget f2p projects whether it is  for pc/console or for smartphones/tablets  seems is what is Turbine future for foresable future.    That and of course taking 'helping out' in other WB projects if WB would decide so.

here is the original press release:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150303005821/en/Warner-Bros.-Interactive-Entertainment-Announces-Extensive-Mobile#.VPzUU-Fwamw

the above is the new direction for the immediate future @ Turbine.

edited:

couple more links for the info hounds...

the new mobile site, (i believe the San Fransisco office is behind this one, hiring at this branch has gone through the roof):

http://www.warnerbros.com/mobilegames

and the potential Warner STEAM competitor in its early stages:

http://community.wbgames.com/

Just saw this on Twitter - thought it was worth the repost. If you were trapped in a room with these 3 and had a gun with only two bullets, how many times would you shoot Rick Heaton?

B_hIp40W8AEFVT8.jpg

https://twitter.com/druidsfire/status/574288854552821760

edit:- for those who don't know thats Patience and Frelorn with him and the actual twitter tagline is 3 generations of Community Manager. 

ah Patience.  i do miss her era on the Official Forums, back when i actually had some really great engaging discussions.  super nice lady.

Frelorn is good apples.  he is just too damn split across multiple company projects.  and he has the green coast city T-shirt on in this, unlike the red one i captioned in the money shot, previously.  and he smiled  :D

well, that about sums up my commentary on the 3 generations photo.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...