LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
cossieuk

Final Fantasy XV

Just wondered how many here are looking forward to the next installment of Final Fantasy. This game was announced in 2006 originally for PS3, but is now coming out on the PS4. The game world looks amazing, and is open world unlike Final Fantasy XIII.

The fighting is more like Kingdom Hearts with an action style rather than turn based. Characters have multiple weapons that they can use and switch between for different attacks. You can also throw your sword and warp to it. This can be used to attack mobs or to find new vantage points, giving another dimension to combat.

The game has a day and night cycle, with the mobs that come out at night being harder than those during the day. You can also camp at night and from there cook food with gives you buffs that fade during the next day. Also when you sleep you then gain all the XP for all the mobs you have killed since you last slept, allowing you to decide if you want to level up or stick where you are.

The game world is a mix of modern day with cars and mobile phones, and fantasy with the usual mobs you have come to expect with Final Fantasy, and you will also come across Chocobos.

Cid make an appearance as you would expect but this time Cid is female, and look pretty nice

maxresdefault.jpg

There is a demo coming on the 20 March (17th in the US) which you can only get if you buy Final Fantasy Type-0, which was original a PSP game only released in Japan, but has been given a HD make over for the PS4. The demo is meant to be 3 hours long, and only contains one chapter of the game, so here is hoping that the game is going to be huge.

I love the single player FF games but I have no intention at the moment of buying a PS4 so unless they decide to release it on a PC later then I will have to miss out.

Sorry. I had to :P

To tell the truth while I am not a fan of hmm FF style,  FF XV does look like most interesting game out of all FF games I saw.   If it ever comes to PC then who knows I might be tempted enough to try it.

Final Fantasy XV is being release on PS4 and XBox1, so there is hope for a PC version given that the new consoles use the X 86 architecture

When I was younger, I was a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series, but Square Enix kind of lost me with KH2 FF12, FF13 and Crisis Core. I just thought the stories to those games were awful, and I hated the gameplay of FF12 and FF13. So I'm hoping FF15 will be a return to form, but I'm not holding my breath. 

FF15 does look like they have taken it in a much needed modern direction especially with the open world and KH-like gameplay. I replayed FF7 & FF8 last year, and whilst enjoying the story, I couldn't stand the turn-based gameplay I once loved. I think turn-based gameplay should be consigned to the past in RPGs,. I just find it boring and pointless now. The grind of leveling over and over bores and seems pointless, so I can certainly see why they went with the KH action gameplay, I just hope it doesn't require hours dedicated to just grinding mobs so you can level enough to defeat the bosses.

I'm not sure what I think of the character design of FF15. I normally like FF charcter design, but the guys in FF15, I don't know, look a bit too extreme for me. 

I'm awaiting reviews before I buy. I hope Square Enix can make me love them again. They disgusted me with Crisis Core. i thought as a game, the gameplay was great, but the story was awful. I seriously hope FF15 doesn't have characters that keep making poor poetic monologues that make no sense. The story needs to be exciting and not full of alien and arbitrary, abstract concepts that plagued the KH series after KH1. They seriously messed up that series. They literally turned a simple concept into an impenetrable mess that that defied decent story telling and logic.

Once I have had a go at the demo I will give you my thoughts. I also hop it is a return for a great gaming series.

As for turn based RPGs I still like they and think they still have a place in the market. They work much better on handheld games for the Vita or DS.

Once I have had a go at the demo I will give you my thoughts. I also hop it is a return for a great gaming series.

As for turn based RPGs I still like they and think they still have a place in the market. They work much better on handheld games for the Vita or DS.

Are you getting Final Fantasy Type 0? I'm torn on that one too. The thought of spending hours upon hours grinding to level is really putting me off it. I've just completed KH 2.5 and although I loved the stories in the individual Disney worlds, I couldn't stand the first 3 hours as Roxas and all the Organisation XIII stuff. I had to spend a few hours levelling in order to complete it, which completely put me off replaying Birth by Sleep HD, so I traded it in.

Yeah I ordered Type-0 months ago, before I know about the demo coming with it. I am a sucker for any game that is part of the Final Fantasy set. Many years ago I bought a DS so I could play Final Fantasy 3

There are a number of videos on YouTube showing game play from people at Pax East if you want to see what the game is like with actual people playing it rather than some of the footage that has been release by SquareEnix

There are a number of videos on YouTube showing game play from people at Pax East if you want to see what the game is like with actual people playing it rather than some of the footage that has been release by SquareEnix

Have watched some of those videos; the game looks very promising.

Just read this review of Type 0:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/18/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-review-back-to-school-5108775/

Don't think I'll be getting it. It apparently has a nonsensical story : (

No idea where that reviewer is getting the price from. You can buy it on Amazon right now for £36.85, or £47.99 for the exclusive FR4ME edition, both of which are cheaper than the £55 the reviewer is claiming.

No idea where that reviewer is getting the price from. You can buy it on Amazon right now for £36.85, or £47.99 for the exclusive FR4ME edition, both of which are cheaper than the £55 the reviewer is claiming.

I noticed that too. Wonder if the £55 is the RRP?

I noticed that too. Wonder if the £55 is the RRP?

Might be the price on the PSN, which is always way more than anywhere else for new games. Most big budget games there are over £60 when they are released and that is for the base versions

Might be the price on the PSN, which is always way more than anywhere else for new games. Most big budget games there are over £60 when they are released and that is for the base versions

Oh yeah. PSN prices are ridiculous.

Oh yeah. PSN prices are ridiculous.

Does anyone know what the PS plus prices are like now, and how good the gifts are? I remember they used to be great when they first brought in the scheme but I havent used my PS3 in a long time. I have just been given a free PS4 but havent bought any games yet or had time to look around at what I want. 

Does anyone know what the PS plus prices are like now, and how good the gifts are? I remember they used to be great when they first brought in the scheme but I havent used my PS3 in a long time. I have just been given a free PS4 but havent bought any games yet or had time to look around at what I want.

THe subs prices are £5.49 for 1 month, £11.99 for 3 and £39.99 for a year. There are currently 2 games you can get for free as long as you have a sub, Oddworld: New and Tasty (normally £17.99) and Vailent Hearts: The Great War (Normally £11.99). There are also a few PS Vita games that can be played on the PS4 That are free.

One difference between the PS3 and PS4 is you need to sub to PS plus to play online games on the PS4

You can see everything here https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/home/main?smcid=pdc:gb-en:pdc-ps3-services-detail:buy%20now::null

Final Fantasy... 15... not been very 'final' so far, as it? :P

Yeah not so final. The first game was called Final Fantasy as Squaresoft was going bust and this was to be their final game after a string of failures, but it was a massive success and saved the company

THe subs prices are £5.49 for 1 month, £11.99 for 3 and £39.99 for a year. There are currently 2 games you can get for free as long as you have a sub, Oddworld: New and Tasty (normally £17.99) and Vailent Hearts: The Great War (Normally £11.99). There are also a few PS Vita games that can be played on the PS4 That are free.

One difference between the PS3 and PS4 is you need to sub to PS plus to play online games on the PS4

You can see everything here https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/home/main?smcid=pdc:gb-en:pdc-ps3-services-detail:buy%20now::null

Thanks Cossie. I think that may be a cheaper alternative than buying new games for a while. Might as well make the pennys last a while longer lol. 

I had just played the demo of Final Fantasy XV for around an hour or so, and so far I am enjoying it. The fighting is different and taks a little getting used to but combat is fast and fluid. You can only control the main character but the AI of your teammates is rather good. A few times it was getting beat baldly and one of them would come running in from nowhere and heal me, or knock the mob of me so I could get away.

I had a little wander around and found the chocobo farm, with the chocobo music playing as you walk up to it. It was a slower more melodic version of the tune but nice. You cant rent a chocobo in the demo, as the area is currently to dangerous, but you will be able in the game once you make things safer.

The main aim of this part of the game is to hunt a Behemoth name Deadeye and collect the bounty on him so that you can pay for the repair for your car. You have to find signs of him and them once you find him you have to follow him back to his lair without being seen. Once there you set a trap to kill him, that doesnt go according to plan, and you have to fight him a bit. He is massive and hits like a truck.

One little thing I did come across was some magicite. I have no idea what it is used for but has appeared in previous games, most noticeably Final Fantasy VI and were used to summon Espers. Given that I found 2 I doubt they will summon anything but they might be used to either craft or enhance weapons

That is as far as I have done so far. Will post more once I have had the chance to do more.

• Upvote 1

I had just played the demo of Final Fantasy XV for around an hour or so, and so far I am enjoying it. The fighting is different and taks a little getting used to but combat is fast and fluid. You can only control the main character but the AI of your teammates is rather good. A few times it was getting beat baldly and one of them would come running in from nowhere and heal me, or knock the mob of me so I could get away.

I had a little wander around and found the chocobo farm, with the chocobo music playing as you walk up to it. It was a slower more melodic version of the tune but nice. You cant rent a chocobo in the demo, as the area is currently to dangerous, but you will be able in the game once you make things safer.

The main aim of this part of the game is to hunt a Behemoth name Deadeye and collect the bounty on him so that you can pay for the repair for your car. You have to find signs of him and them once you find him you have to follow him back to his lair without being seen. Once there you set a trap to kill him, that doesnt go according to plan, and you have to fight him a bit. He is massive and hits like a truck.

One little thing I did come across was some magicite. I have no idea what it is used for but has appeared in previous games, most noticeably Final Fantasy VI and were used to summon Espers. Given that I found 2 I doubt they will summon anything but they might be used to either craft or enhance weapons

That is as far as I have done so far. Will post more once I have had the chance to do more.

Thanks Cossie. It sounds great : )

Will be interested in hearing your thoughts on Type 0 too : )

Not had much time to play Type-O, only done the first mission.

The combat is very much like Kingdom Hearts, but is a bit faster. You really need to lock on to mobs to keep track of them during combat. You are in a team of 3 and you can switch between which one you are controlling during combat. Each character is different, having their own strengths and weaknesses just like the mobs. I have only gotten access to 3 characters of the 14 so far but I am guessing that you will need to play them all at different times to make progress easier. One little nice thing in combat is when you are locked on you sometimes see a yellow or red icon on the mob, if they are weak to your character. If you time your attacks right on a yellow icon you do lots of damage, and on a red you instant kill. You also need to dodge a lot especially on larger mobs and bosses.

At the end of the first mission you have to fight a boss in some sort of machine. Your characters summon Odin, nut rather than some cut scene when Odin comes in with one big swing of his sword killing everything, you get you play as Odin. It seems the same will be true of all summons. I can wait to get Bahamut

The graphics are not bad considering this was a PSP game. I would say for the most part they are on par with early PS3 games. However the backgrounds to blur when you move the camera but as soon as you stop they are back in focus.

The camera movement is a little faster than I am used to and there is no option to chance it so that is taking a bit of getting used to.

The tone of the game seems a lot darker than any Final Fantasy game I have played. During the cuts scenes there is a lot of blood seen when people get shoot or stabbed. Also the Chocobo covered in blood was sad.

final-fantasy-type-0-opening-cinematic.j

As for the story line it is to soon to say. So far it is one of the four crystal nations deciding to attack the others but no idea why. You are part of one nation that is good a magic. There was also mention of one of the other nations being hit by an Ultima Bomb. Not sure how complex the story will be, but being Final Fantasy it will only start to make scenes half way through or even later.

• Upvote 1

There is another type of mission in Type-0 that is optional but is worth doing for the XP and random rewards you get. You have to recapture points on the map. It is hard to explain what they are like but I have found a video of the only one I have done

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/03/18/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-walkthrough-chapter-2-mission-2.

Also you can wander the world map and there are random encounters. You can go where you like as it is blocked off until you do certain missions. Also you cant save or change your team on the world map meaning you have to be careful you dont die.

Lastly there is an arena where you can fight with one of your team to gain XP and some items. There is also a second part to the arena where before you stop playing you can put one of your team into training so they get some XP while you are not playing and the longer they are there the more the level up. It is a good way to level up some of the character you okay less.