LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Belechannas

WoW Tokens incoming...

The WoW client is now patched to allow the gold->gametime purchase system ("WoW Tokens") they announced a while back.

They haven't flipped the switch to turn it on yet, but it could launch for the North American region any day now.

The system is that you can buy a token from the in-game store (the one that sells mounts, pets and character boosts) for $20. You can then sell that token to other players for gold at a market-determined price, although there is no direct contact between between buyers and sellers.

In what I think is a smart implementation, basically the in-game AH acts as a broker for all token trades. Thus, there is no advertising spam, and all transactions are between a player and Blizzard:

1) Player 1 buys token for cash from Blizzard

2) Player 1 sells token on consignment to Blizzard AH for a definite gold price ("market determined")

3) Player 2 buys the token from the Blizzard AH for some amount of gold determined by Blizzard

4) Blizzard sends Player 1 the amount of gold he was quoted when he listed the token. It is not necessarily the amount of gold Player 2 actually paid, although it could be.

The token is bound to the person who buys it for gold (Player 2), and thus there are no resale or arbitrage possibilities.

Also, the prices and pool of tokens for sale are region-wide, meaning that there is no issue of individual servers developing a shortage or glut.

Blizzard's explanations are here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/18141101/introducing-the-wow-token-3-2-2015

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/18390557/wow-token-coming-soon-additional-details-3-23-2015

The token costs $20, and gives a month of gametime which would cost $15 if purchased directly from Blizzard. So there is a fairly attractive, but not insanely greedy, profit margin built into the whole system for Blizzard.

They have not yet announced the starting price of tokens in gold, although it will presumably have to be set with one eye on the unauthorized cash-for-gold market.

I would guess more and more MMOs will have something like this in the next few years, and any new MMOs will most likely launch with it already planned or in place.

The only real surprise is that it is not more common place already to help combat gold selling

I really like the idea of this token. I'm playing WOW at the moment. As a new player, I have little gold, and no where near enough to purchase the large bags I really need. I imagine many people will love this token.

I would guess more and more MMOs will have something like this in the next few years, and any new MMOs will most likely launch with it already planned or in place.

The only real surprise is that it is not more common place already to help combat gold selling

While I agree that it is something that will happen more often then what I want to oppose is a view that it is done to combat gold selling. It is not.

This is done to expand gold selling to new users users who are afraid or don't know of 3rd party gold selling. Basically game companies wanna their piece of pie of RMT market.

All MMORPGs that I know of that have official gold selling by developers like EVE, TERA, GW2 etc  still have 3rd party gold selling going on. 

What official gold selling a la PLEX does is increase total amount of users who use gold buying/selling.  It does not elimiate 3rd party gold selling and it does increase total amount of gold selling / RMT that is happening in game economy.

On an side-note - have you noticed that you have written that adding gold selling is elimiating gold selling? :)

While I agree that it is something that will happen more often then what I want to oppose is a view that it is done to combat gold selling. It is not.

This is done to expand gold selling to new users users who are afraid or don't know of 3rd party gold selling. Basically game companies wanna their piece of pie of RMT market.

All MMORPGs that I know of that have official gold selling by developers like EVE, TERA, GW2 etc  still have 3rd party gold selling going on. 

What official gold selling a la PLEX does is increase total amount of users who use gold buying/selling.  It does not elimiate 3rd party gold selling and it does increase total amount of gold selling / RMT that is happening in game economy.

On an side-note - have you noticed that you have written that adding gold selling is elimiating gold selling? :)

I should have said illegal gold selling. Of course this is still gold selling, but if you can price it right you can undercut the illegal sellers this cutting the number of them.

Tokens launch tomorrow in North America/Oceania/Latin America.

$20 = 30K gold is the starting price.

There will be a cap of 10 tokens per month from the store to start with.

There's quite a few with similar systems already, Blizzard's actually quite slow off the mark with this one.