LOTROCommunity

LOTRO Legendarium: Why you need to read the books if you play the game

http://massivelyop.net/2015/04/04/lotro-legendarium-why-you-need-to-read-the-books-if-you-play-the-game/

I was excited when I first saw the title of the article.  It's the type of topic I can delve into myself.  Sadly, Olivetti disappointed me.  Maybe another interested individual will find a nugget of thought that I am not seeing.  And sure enough he lapsed into cheerleader mode near the end:

" Second, LOTRO is an aging (but great!) MMO that is nearing the “endgame” of Mordor without much talk of what will happen after that. 

Great? Great?!? Really? 

This line did cause me to ponder though the 'endgame' of Mordor.  Remember when the game was coming out and discussions abound about what they would do with the game 'after' the Ring was destroyed?  All the thoughts of what the 4th Age would hold in a LOTRO MMO. Now, I'm not even much curious as to what Minas Tirith will look like, let alone Mordor.  Turbine has lost much of it's legitimacy for me. The game should have been in Mordor by now.

A thoughts/question that do comes to mind that I'm not sure I have an answer to:

1) How does the game do in making the storylines and epic storyline compelling for those who have NOT read the books OR seen the movies? If it had to stand on its own merits like most other games, could it? I remember feelings of reverence when I got near Bag End, The Prancing Pony, Rivendell, Weathertop, Moria, Lorien, etc. I remember feeling like I was taking a stroll through a history book when I was finding signs of the Fellowship's passing through Eregion during that quest line.  But had I not read the books or seen the movies, it would not have been the same. Would the game have kept me as long as it did or would my interest have petered out like it did in Elder Scrolls Online before a year was up?

I'd rather keep the books seperate from the movies and the game tbh. I don't want either one tainting my experience of reading them for the first time waaaaaay back in middle school.

A thoughts/question that do comes to mind that I'm not sure I have an answer to:

1) How does the game do in making the storylines and epic storyline compelling for those who have NOT read the books OR seen the movies? If it had to stand on its own merits like most other games, could it? I remember feelings of reverence when I got near Bag End, The Prancing Pony, Rivendell, Weathertop, Moria, Lorien, etc. I remember feeling like I was taking a stroll through a history book when I was finding signs of the Fellowship's passing through Eregion during that quest line.  But had I not read the books or seen the movies, it would not have been the same. Would the game have kept me as long as it did or would my interest have petered out like it did in Elder Scrolls Online before a year was up?

I don't know if people would be playing LOTRO now if they didn't have any prior experience with the book or movie. On its own, I don't think it can compare to more established MMO's like wow.

I honestly wonder how many hang on simply because it's Tolkien

• Upvote 1

I honestly wonder how many hang on simply because it's Tolkien

:w  I'm one of those.  And I just play to get thru the epic now, don't care about gear or other questing anymore.

I think knowing the lore helps with the game immensely, without that I don't think the game holds much appeal.  It's a big deal to run into Glorfindel outside the Last Homely House if you know the books, otherwise, he's just another guy in a robe you need to talk to for something or other.

It would be like playing any of the Star Wars games would be for me - I have a general vague knowledge of some of the stuff, but any attention to detail about other people/aliens and planets that are part of the larger Star Wars universe would be completely lost on me.  In the end without that knowledge it's all just "go here, because."  

• Upvote 2

Lotro is "great" strictly if you enjoy Tolkien fan fiction. I see the books as "inspired by" or "based on" source material for all the spin-off products.

As a game, it's not competitive in the MMO landscape.

I'd be happy to noodle around in the Shire forever after destroying the ring, assuming interesting stuff gets added at a reasonable rate.

If they still had autonomy and a full set of creative minds, they could easily make use of the material from the RotK Appendices.  For example, there is an entire war of its own in the Celduin valley that Turbine's Erebor instance cluster only attempts to scratch the surface of.  Or the follow-up campaigns into the south and east?  Or the diplomatic efforts and clean-up work around the Nurnen?  Plenty of possibilities; nary a chance of happening.

And sure enough he lapsed into cheerleader mode near the end:

" Second, LOTRO is an aging (but great!) MMO that is nearing the “endgame” of Mordor without much talk of what will happen after that. 

Great? Great?!? Really?

Bingo.

It is simply another favourable Lotro piece written by Masively and Olivetti in a very long string of similar favourable pieces. 

Imho there is no sense in analysing content of yet another Justin's Lotro piece.  Massively is simply doing PR for Lotro. Again.

• Upvote 1

ROFLMAO

I was gonna be nice and say he's still in the Shire, forever failing at delivering pies :P

For too long those Hungry Hobbits have thwarted his efforts but, someday, that Pie-runner title shall be his...
  • Upvote 3

I have always wondered if LOTRO had followed the books as best as possible, with all that entails, would it have been a success (more successful). This means actually doing away with what appears to be the the holy grail and untouchable mmo character structures being a tank, a healer, a power supply, a dps  etc etc.

Did LOTRO need to clone any game? Is a MMO so stuck in a formula that it requires it players to be (and its players expect) to be a certain type (hunter burglar captain etc).

I personally would have liked LOTRO be be an abridged narration of the books and our chosen characters are acting in that abridged narration.

CrankyCat

I know a good few people who havent read or even dislike the books but still play LOTRO. The article smacks of a desire to write something about LOTRO without having a compelling reason and so then coming up with a premise to flesh out in to a feature about the game.

• Upvote 3

In the Massively OP podcast he said he got his captain to level 100.

I can't seem to find the right episode where he mentioned it, so here's a good rant about the current endgame: http://massivelyop.net/2015/03/31/massively-op-podcast-episode-8/ from 2:50 to 4:50

He recently did a blog post on the Pelargir Epic Battle that wasted a lot of his time because he died (maybe from paying more attention to Netflix than to the EB, but hey whatever) and then while he was running back from the respawn point, the NPCs that he had to keep alive died.

https://biobreak.wordpress.com/2015/03/25/dealing-with-a-wasted-session/

He even ends that one on an upbeat tone: I think that's just how he is.  That doesn't justify the "great game" remark at all, but is an example of his general approach in his writing.

Well, failing an EB is an achievement :P

Pretty much. I tried a Beorning a little while back and tried an EB at L5. After coming back from AFK, I found I had completed the encounter with a silver score and I'd managed to win 2 of the random encounter thingies that happened. I didn't bother playing much after that.

I know a good few people who havent read or even dislike the books but still play LOTRO. The article smacks of a desire to write something about LOTRO without having a compelling reason and so then coming up with a premise to flesh out in to a feature about the game.

Yeh. A rather bland piece with little of interest.

I have a problem with Kickstarter, it's the same issue I have with Steam early access. Once the company has your money for early access or potential development, where is the incentive to actually finish the game to a high quality? I mean they have your money already, doesn't really matter to them anymore how good the game is.

Laurinaohtar said this about Kickstarter in the Pillars of Eternity thread, and arguably the same could be said about the MassivleyOP Kickstarter fund. Once they have your money what does it matter about giving an objective opinion on an MMO. Rather its probably in there interests to secure paid endorsments from development companies going forward. I expect any article about the LOTRO sunset will offer a very rosy opinion of 10 years of success.