LOTROCommunity

Imbuement System Dev Diary

Will never believe anyone got all the SoA crawlers from just questing in the trollshaws, not a chance, the amount of quests that actually take you to where the crawlers where were minimal.

The part with the ring like pool that housed all the crawlers was well out of the way, had I think 1 or 2 quests there (to kill one of the great worms) and no other quests took you anywhere near it, there was only two ways in to it as well.

Yes you could drop in the exploring but you would then have to stay for hours circling that pool killing the crawlers for no other reason than to grind the deed, there were one or two along the bruinen but again no where near enough to actually complete the deed whilst passing through questing.

The same goes for lots of other deeds in the game, some you would never finish just by questing and would only complete if you purposely went there and grinded the deed out, worms and grims in forochel, sarnur deeds, even slugs in the shire, you just don't quest there enough to complete it without stopping what you are doing and spending a half hour killing slugs, there is no reason to spend time in most of these areas other than to grind out a slayer deed.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's the exactly the same principle of Turbine taking away a player's preferred style of gameplay for the sake of a few bucks. And just because you don't enjoy being a completionist, it doesn't make i

I know you can't read, but the word 'or' means an option, not both. So no, grinding isn't only the domain of boring content, it's repetitive, which I've said all along.

Yeah, but the original post specifically states SoA Trollshaws so the revamp isn't really relevant?

Turbine reminds me of my little brothers.  Whenever you ask them to do anything they make the most half assed attempt until you give up and just deal with it.  Everything that they do wrong is WAI, that is until they get around to "fixing" it.

Will never believe anyone got all the SoA crawlers from just questing in the trollshaws, not a chance, the amount of quests that actually take you to where the crawlers where were minimal.

The part with the ring like pool that housed all the crawlers was well out of the way, had I think 1 or 2 quests there (to kill one of the great worms) and no other quests took you anywhere near it, there was only two ways in to it as well.

On one of my characters, we went into the cave where you found Celebran's gift for Arwen. There are only like 5 crawlers in there, but the respawn rate was decent enough. At least it used to be.

God, and the usual post by clueless Yula that finds just about anything acceptable, because money.

What a fscking joke.

SNy

Gotta get dat post count. I see this one on virtually every thread and I usually don't see the point behind anything he/she says.

Need 30K IXP to max a tier, but it takes 200k IXP to do so? And Turbine say this is WAI. /slowclap

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?568613-ixp-on-imbued-weapons&p=7367178#post7367178

Holy cow, what a clusterf***. So in a nutshell, "The system currently divides item XP among all legacies, even ones that are already maxed." And of course Turbine set it up so the DPS has a lower cap than all the other legacies so if folks don't use scrolls to raise the DPS tiers it will start bleeding away IXP as soon as it reaches cap.

So did they plan this (WAI) or did someone just mess up the already outrageous system? Turbine never fails to disappoint.

So in a nutshell, "The system currently divides item XP among all legacies, even ones that are already maxed." And of course Turbine set it up so the DPS has a lower cap than all the other legacies so if folks don't use scrolls to raise the DPS tiers it will start bleeding away IXP as soon as it reaches cap.

So did they plan this (WAI) or did someone just mess up the already outrageous system? Turbine never fails to disappoint.

that is very broken, or retarded.  with Turbine, either is entirely possible.

Well they even wrote it in the Dev diary.

IXP Runes

These items will not receive any change in their functionality and will continue to work as they currently do in the system. Per-item IXP is distributed evenly across all Legacies, even those that have reached their current Tier cap.

You could argue that this does not mean that this continues once they reached the max tier but the max tier is still the current tier in that sense.

This is really bad when you want to replace a leg later. Especially if they will come up with new legacies that are desirable layer on. Store only legacies maybe....

You could argue that this does not mean that this continues once they reached the max tier but the max tier is still the current tier in that sense.

This is really bad when you want to replace a leg later. Especially if they will come up with new legacies that are desirable layer on. Store only legacies maybe....

You can make a safe bet that spread IXP is only there through a combination of Turbine's incompetence (they wouldn't know how to fix it if they wanted to) and greed (selling things like legacies or IXP to avoid the grind). As with all Turbine's decisions for the past few years.

Yikes. Thanks for that quote. Can you give a link? I'd like to share it with my kinnies.

So Turbine planned this 'leakage' of IXP by capped tiers, which seems rather diabolical. If a player caps all their imbued legacies, then changes one, it will take just as many IXP to level up that one legacy as it would all seven. /facepalm

I think most players have not figured this out or we'd be hearing a lot more raging on the OF.

I think most players have not figured this out or we'd be hearing a lot more raging on the OF.

Or most have given up with LIs now. I wonder just how many players are so casual that they don't even care if it levels at all.

Or, they get all the legacies they want before they start plugging in the ixp runes. That's the smart way to do it, no? Changing legacies after ixp maxout was dumb before and is dumb now.

You can make a safe bet that spread IXP is only there through a combination of Turbine's incompetence (they wouldn't know how to fix it if they wanted to) and greed (selling things like legacies or IXP to avoid the grind). As with all Turbine's decisions for the past few years.

Well it maybe went like this:

QA: hey engineering when I try to level a new legacy it says I need 30k ixp for a tier but I have to use 240k ixp. Seems like a bug.

Engineering: yeah looks looks like one. Enter a bug for tracking. We maybe get to this at one point.

[2 weeks later]

Engineering: hmm QA was right it takes 240k for a tier. I will ask management if we should fix this.

Management: oh another bug and no resources to fix this. But wait: is there a possibility for more store sales like this?

Engineering: I guess so.

Management: OK then document it as WAI and close the bug. Win win for us.

• Upvote 1

Or, they get all the legacies they want before they start plugging in the ixp runes. That's the smart way to do it, no? Changing legacies after ixp maxout was dumb before and is dumb now.

Not if Turbine fuck about with what legacies do.

With the difference that an imbued LI should stick with you forever so if they change legacies or classes down the road then you have to pay up to get it tiered up.

One can argue whether that is better than trashing it after a level increase like we had for years now.

I could see that there should be a price to pay for switching legs but you do that already with paying for more tiers anyway. No need IMO to pay up inixp as well.

Seems sloppy design and programming for me.

Yikes. Thanks for that quote. Can you give a link? I'd like to share it with my kinnies.

It is from the first post where fundim copied the content of the original Dev diary to. There should be a link to it as well.

It is a pain to do on the phone so I just refer you there.

So Turbine planned this 'leakage' of IXP by capped tiers, which seems rather diabolical. If a player caps all their imbued legacies, then changes one, it will take just as many IXP to level up that one legacy as it would all seven. /facepalm

I know for me, it wasn't until I saw that thread with specific numbers that it hit me.

I'm not playing LOTRO currently and I won't imbue unless I find I can't get through content with my current LIs when I do pick up the new area eventually.

The way IXP is distributed over all legacies, including maxed ones, is annoying, but honestly it's not that big a deal. It's just a built-in time sink.

The imbued legacy replacement scroll says there will be an IXP penalty to the replaced legacy, which suggests it isn't necessary reset all the way to level 1. I haven't done an experiment to check that.

Also, (surprisingly) the store doesn't sell IXP runes, or even IXP boosts, so I don't really see the greed angle here.

Based on my experience, imbuing is a positive change. Granted, if you want everything to be maxed out instantly, you will be frustrated.

I used most of my banked IXP runes on my imbued main-hand weapon, and got it filled immediately (to max DPS and rank 30 on all legacies). I didn't have nearly enough IXP runes left to fill up the javelin I imbued a few days later; it got to about rank 10/30, which was a few % worse than the old one. Having played a couple days since then, the javelin is now up to 25/30, and will soon be full.

Not really seeing this as a big deal. The majority of stuff you do in game, except PvMP and crafting, I suppose, will give you IXP. I stopped using the IXP runes I was getting on the javelin, since I figured it would waste the IXP rewards from quests and mob kills. Instead, I'm putting the runes in the bank in case I imbue another weapon, so I can knock-out the initial levels faster.

Also, (surprisingly) the store doesn't sell IXP runes, or even IXP boosts, so I don't really see the greed angle here.

My thinking was more along the lines of that you can never decon your imbued LI so you will never get any IXP runes from it to use for other LIs - imbued or not.

Do imbued LIs take an LI slot? I would think yes but I did not imbue yet so I don't really know.

If yes then each imbued LI takes up a slot that cannot be used to level LIs. While that would be like having a maxed normal LI already in such a slot you can never get any IXP back from it hence you might want more LI slots so have more throw away LIs for deconning to not waste any IXP you might gain if all your LIs are maxed.

Someone on the OF did replace a leg:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?568613-ixp-on-imbued-weapons

I replaced a legacy that had a current tier of 28 (might've been 2 lower.. not really sure), and it ended up as tier 6 after replacing.

• Upvote 2