LOTROCommunity

Lion's Arch reborn?

LasraelLarson

so appearantly the clean up has begun & a new Lions Arch is taking shape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PizhXQeJM

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/lions-arch-construction-nears-completion-new-player-poll-announced/

this looks to be part of the build up for launch of Heart of Thorns expansion.  you can log into the game and see the first stages of the new development.  how many stages they have planned, who can say?

i will say, i am glad to see Lions Arch being cleaned up.  Divinities Reach was my hook to that game, but i became quite fond of the original Lions Arch as it had a lot of atmosphere... which is still appearant even whilst it is being rebuilt.

should be interesting to see it unfold & it seems some of the newer additions will tie into the near future plans for guilds.

Oh. So that's why the game logged me out yesterday... :)

yeah, having to relog so new data can be applied.  still beats the crap out of having extended downtimes ;)

This 'renovation', is it affecting only Lion's Arch?

yeah.

i have no idea how many phases it will go through prior to launch of Heart of Thorns expansion, but there are new vistas specific to the new construction.

from the concept art, the new construction will be on a much larger scale, with the intent of fortifying LA from future attacks.

i suspect they may also be designing with new (player) crowds in mind.  better flow, placement of key facilities, etc. 

apperantly they've also improved the framerates for the new LA.

and last time i was in game things seemed to be improved.

anyway, just leaving this vid here for posterity as it is all in game sounds, zero cometary and showcases the current state of clean-up.  for the last few of you who haven't experienced the game, this vid showcases the daytime atmosphere of LA nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1t-neIeS14

A good reminder to check my optimization settings as well.

On a side note - when I try this for Rift, the whole Nvidia panel crashes. No problem for GW2 and TSW. Any ideas as to why?

Rift is really bugging me with some sort of 'graphics lag' (especially in the Water Plane continent), very similar to my last experiences with LOTRO. LOTRO itself couldn't be optimized at all because --when I still had it installed in the past-- it didn't even appear in the game optimization list of the Nvidia panel. For this and other reasons I have the feeling the video card didn't consider the thing to be a game at all...

Lasrael, apologies for the off topic, and thanks for your answers. A simple relog not only totally beats the extended downtimes but it has to put a new meaning to the word "hotfix", if your reference point is its usage by Turbine.

Edit: Kinda false alarm. With the latest driver, Rift is optimize-able as the other games.

I made a point to go look, no replacement yet. And as far as I could tell that is the only area cleaned up in LA. Maybe I just haven't noticed, and I don't spend much time there that is for sure.

On another OT bent,

I've always felt that vault space and (for some) character slots are at the top of the "most useful gemstore item" lists, but I've gotta say, unless you just ignore harvesting altogether, that watchwork pick is a must have. I hate to admit it, but it is pointed towards that slippery P2W slope. It isn't quite there, and I would like to see more like it, but I have to be honest.

"Aslan" seems to have completely disappeared, along with what was left of his fountain. Anybody spotted it yet?

given one of the poll options of retaining that plaza's original name, "Lions Court" or going with a new, "Festival Plaza"  i'd guess they may be keeping wiggle room for new designs.

regardless, wherever that statue reappears...  the design of it was amazing (sounds included)  lets hope it isn't somewhere where something (mad king) or other (fractals) constantly destroying and replacing it anew.

I'm happy Lion's Arch is being rebuilt and I don't even play GW2 any longer. Always thought it was the best hang out spot in game.

it does have that resort, take a break, relax and hang out feel to it.   i haven't played seriously since the Karka invasion of LA & ascended weapons debuted.  i do suspect that will change in or around the launch of Heart of Thorns.

I made a point to go look, no replacement yet. And as far as I could tell that is the only area cleaned up in LA. Maybe I just haven't noticed, and I don't spend much time there that is for sure.

On another OT bent,

I've always felt that vault space and (for some) character slots are at the top of the "most useful gemstore item" lists, but I've gotta say, unless you just ignore harvesting altogether, that watchwork pick is a must have. I hate to admit it, but it is pointed towards that slippery P2W slope. It isn't quite there, and I would like to see more like it, but I have to be honest.

for me, pay to win, is selling power (usually in the form of stat upgrades, or larger weapon payloads.)  anything that improves either the damage output, survivability, or cooldown timers of your characters ability to play the game.  IE: if i as a free player have to reload my ammunition clip 60 times during a match & someone can buy clips with larger payloads (they have to reload half as much...  animations downtimes with each reload)  that is blatent pay to win bullshit.  anything that will slot and make the character more powerful.

selling power is bad, and it is what i call pay to win.  and it does not really matter if it is also available in game.  it is a bad practice and should be avoided as it utimately leads to bad design mechanics that make your game, sooner or latter, a stank anus.

it is without question convinient as ever, to never again have to spend in game gold on resource gathering tools that break & work on limited nodes of that resource...  but as long as they don't improve loot over reqular in game items...  i too hope they add more of these types of items.

as for the cogs the watchwork pick drops, what are they used for?  and is the jury still out over whether the cogs overwrite ore amounts?

i am not really understanding what it is you consider paying to win, or what specifically you define as pay to win?

Oh the sprockets are like gold. And if you leave in-game currency out of P2W consideration you are correct, it doesn't cross that line. Which is why I say close.

Sprocket value is a pretty interesting case of how switching development gears has created a niche. There are several runes and sigils, some popular (malice, torment) and some not. You can also build the portals, but my one attempt took me nowhere and was a waste. I think you need some for mawdry as well, not sure I haven't built it. They are also needed to create...

...blade shards.

The only other way to farm blade shards are Scarlet's Aetherblade chests (doubtful anyone even has the items needed anymore), aetherblade puzzle (all day for a few) or mystic forge them from sprockets. Blade shards are needed for the aetherblade back item. There are others but this is one good way to go about getting a good back item. You need 925 shards, which means 8k-9k sprockets on average. That does not include the additional 500 you need for the... 

... watchwork mechanisms.

Extremely underpriced until recently, these still remain a better value than buying sprockets and crafting them. And they have their value, for zealot's gear (arguably better than zerker in theory). The only thing that drives these out of reach for many is the cost of recipes, and the stat is acct bound like celestial. And any new recipes are locked in scarlet's lair so the population is finite.

this is why sprockets trade for so much even though they should be falling from the sky; the demand is high and quantities needed are high. So if you roam and mine while playing, you will greatly increase your gold per minute stat because you will be pulling, on average, one item from every node that hangs at about 75% of Orichalcum. Only way to get it is with a gemstore purchase. It balances, really it does, but I can't argue that it isn't a type of P2W; a store only method of generating additional currency.

well if i understand you correctly, these cogs can craft slot items that have stats?

if that is the case, bullshit.  and i'd point the finger directly at Nexon.

i think different cosmetic designs & the cosmetic animations for gathering are enough.  but if some suit thought making them give items to craft power would be a selling feature, that may be true short term, but it will undermine the long term.  it does every single time.

every... single... time...

look at all the FTP (powersellers that are in trouble & or closing shop.)

and sure corporate wants a fast return, but how long do you think folk will stay for the ride if they continue to scorch the earth?

honestly, GW2 has fantastic combat and the world is superb.  let Nexon take a roasting fetid dump all over it and how many more titles down the road will folk come along for the ride.

the short term in gaming is a bullet with the word "suicide" scribed onto it.  pull the trigger fuckwits, the world will be better without you!  seriously, NO ONE WILL MISS YOU!  go die in a fire, toute de suite!

overt and it is fast, subtle and the outcome is the same, just slightly extend the timeline.

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Well I think it is more because of not-too-well thought out development, or development paths that have been dropped for whatever reason. In other words, more circumstancial and just chance that it confers any store-exclusive advantage.

There is no more harvesting of sprockets or blade shards in a way that is viable with the quantity needed to do anything. And the end gear is fairly lucrative, aven though it is mainly account bound. So what you will end up with is the few people who have been able to build the home node sprocket generator would not fill the demand, and the marketplace would inevitably decide a price for the sprockets that is probably an order of magnitude beyond what it is now. So they introduced a further way to feed the sprockets into the game, and it really is an eloquent solution all things considered. And it has somewhat stabilized over time, so the real plus is that the studio doesn't have a micromanagement attitude and lets things fall or stand on their own.

But it all sort of covers up their lack of planning and follow-through with the aetherblades and the mostly wonderful recipes that came from them. That stuff, for now, is disappearing, never to be replaced. Ironically, zealot is the one stat set that could compete with the Berserker meta meme.

• 4 weeks later...

Be sure to hop into game and check LA out now that the patch has gone live. It's beautiful.

Also be sure to whack a few world bosses while you're at it...the devs got a little carried away when tweaking DPS and condition damage. Tequatl melted like a popsicle.  I'm sure they'll fix it soon because it's just too easy now, but it's kinda funny.

:)

Be sure to hop into game and check LA out now that the patch has gone live. It's beautiful.

Also be sure to whack a few world bosses while you're at it...the devs got a little carried away when tweaking DPS and condition damage. Tequatl melted like a popsicle.  I'm sure they'll fix it soon because it's just too easy now, but it's kinda funny.

:)

​New LA really is beautiful, they have added a scanevnger hunt (find 50 hidden Karka scattered all over LA) and a new Jumping Puzzle that is really hard and makes you roof-jumping all over new LA. Well done Anet :)

The tweaking of the DPS and condi damage got countered with doubling the world bosses HP, making some of them even more tedious (Golem MK2) and some a real challenge for the causal players (Tequatl) and the niche wb Triple Worm a challenge for the more organized guilds, sure not a boss everyone and his dog can jump in and 1-1-1-1 kill while afk watching Netflix :D