LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
nosam9

Turbine scamming new players on Amazon: $25 for DDO package.

What a shameless cash grab. At least put the correct system requirements.

Somehow, Turbine advertised this and it got put up on reddit/gamedeals/  today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUHVMBK/ref=s9_acss_bw_hsb_VGBBApr2_s1_s?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=1MDMRW1XG5DBQQXWNA60&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2094500982&pf_rd_i=979455011

1. They are trying to sell this for $25 to people who probably don't realize the game is free, and is also barely being developed (like Lotro).

2. The minimum requirements are wrong. Why are you selling this to people who may not be able to play - because you lied about the minimum requirements.

Here is what Turbine lists as the minimum requirements for Riders of Rohan:

Minimum:

• Processor: Intel Pentium 4 - 1.8GHz or AMD equivalent
  • Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Disk Space: 10 GB Free Space
  • Video Card: 64MB GPU with pixel shader 1.1 support (NVIDIA Geforce 3 or AMD Radeon 8500)
  • DirectX®: 9.0c 

I know they know about this, since I have posted about this error many times.

I know they know about this, since I have posted about this error many times.

I'm sure whatever marketing arm was in charge of creating and pricing this bundle are frequent readers of your many posts.

I'm sure whatever marketing arm was in charge of creating and pricing this bundle are frequent readers of your many posts.

And if you worked for Turbine, and saw they were selling items on Amazon to people who could not use them -

would you not tell someone?

All I am saying is I am sure Turbine staff know about the wrong requirements.

Here is the link:http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Online-Riders-Download/dp/B00EUHVO8G/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1432164427&sr=1-5

Anyone can post this on the Official Forums, or send a message to Frelorn. I am sure people have bought this, or this (http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Online-Quad-Download/dp/B00EUHVPKI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1432164427&sr=1-1   Quad Pack), thinking they could run it, but could not.

You will have more luck if you contact Amazon and point out the problems. They will act much quicker then Turbine.

- Clearly marked DOWNLOAD in the title

- Download size 3kb, time 1min, clearly displayed

- Bolded print requiring a US billing address...wait what do they need my billing address for?

- Collector's edition no less! Wait, what if I choose Base Game and click on...oh, it is free. But it isn't the collectible, it is just a base 3kb download...what?

This is desperate indie dev shit. Have they stopped the TP scam on VIP destiny points? I doubt it. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they added an MC option to it as well.

Come on....everyone knows that is not the way it works around here..... :P

Ok, pardon me for using logic and the internet I shall stop doing so.

**Grabs pitchfork**

Maybe you guys should do some research before reacting.... http://ddowiki.com/page/Shadowfell_Conspiracy

That's the second DDO expansion....

1. They are selling a DDO expansion for $50, or $25 half off. They advertised the $25 pack, when you can get the base expansion for $15.

2. Don't you think it is unethical to sell software, as a major company (WB), on Amazon with completely wrong minimum requirements? They will make money because some people who can't play will not bother with the refund.

3. Would you recommend a new DDO player to pay $25 for this pack? I wouldn't, unless they has plenty of money to spend. A new player can do a lot in DDO without spending a cent, right?

Keep in mind that they're also bundling in 1k/2k TP into those packs, and that's ~10$/20$ USD

3. Would you recommend a new DDO player to pay $25 for this pack? I wouldn't, unless they has plenty of money to spend. A new player can do a lot in DDO without spending a cent, right?

You'd be surprised.....

Part of why DDO is dying is that there's **TOO** many adventure packs, and not enough freebies, as you can reach maybe level 6/30, maybe level 10 if you're lucky, before you have to start buying DLC - at least from what I recalled when I looked into it a while back.  Even then, most everything is group content.  The problem with the D&D leveling system is that while that's closer to about level 30 (as there's 5 ranks per level IIRC), it just seems like a really low number.

Throw into the mix the D&D 3.5/4 hybrid character building system, which allows you to build a custom character that's actually non-viable, no way to really realize that a build is viable or not until you start using it, and the only reasonable fixes are either reroll or use the store to fix the char - as most of the ingame fixes aren't really viable without a lot of grinding.

That said, I have had a lot of fun with it, but the problems in DDO make LotRO look immaculate.

2. Don't you think it is unethical to sell software, as a major company (WB), on Amazon with completely wrong minimum requirements? They will make money because some people who can't play will not bother with the refund.

I can imagine that if your computer is too fucking shitty to run an MMO released in 2006 then you're not the type of person to be buying video games off Amazon.

And nobody plays DDO anyway. Another one of Turbine's shelved maintenance mode MMOs that will keep on running long after the sun goes supernova because that's their business model apparently.

I can imagine that if your computer is too fucking shitty to run an MMO released in 2006 then you're not the type of person to be buying video games off Amazon.

But wait, I found a big name MMO on Amazon that has very low requirements: Lord of the Rings Online.

It will run on my older PC with 1 GB Ram!

But wait, I found a big name MMO on Amazon that has very low requirements: Lord of the Rings Online.

It will run on my older PC with 1 GB Ram!

It could run on a toaster.