LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
MueR

Forum update 26/05, 18h GMT

Hi all,

Tonight at 18:00 GMT, I'll be updating the forum to the next major release by Invision, version 4. The design might be a bit different when you log back in. I can't give you an exact time the forum will be back online, but it should not take more than half an hour.

Thanks for understanding :)

• Upvote 1

Alright, the forum software has been upgraded. I will be changing the looks, but for now you can resume posting while I work.

No responses? Almost makes me think there's something wrong..

• Upvote 2

aha, that helped.

No responses? Almost makes me think there's something wrong..

​quote works okay too. In fact it works well as a multi quote

Alright, the forum software has been upgraded. I will be changing the looks, but for now you can resume posting while I work.

Hi all,

Tonight at 18:00 GMT, I'll be updating the forum to the next major release by Invision, version 4. The design might be a bit different when you log back in. I can't give you an exact time the forum will be back online, but it should not take more than half an hour.

Thanks for understanding

:)

How do you remove/hide the topics list on the right hand side of the home page.  There used to be a button to his it but I can find it any more

i really like the new color palette.

image displays and video playback are a definite plus, at least on initial glance.

line spacing is a tad enormous.... as in it is like each line has a header and footer space, close to equal the size of the text.

i also have a big ass LCD monitor, so i assume things default to screen size, which for me is making everything really REALLY large.  that will take some time to adjust too, and the new layout of information (recent, online, etc.) but otherwise, seems slightly faster than the former forums.  almost snappy.  ;) 

edit - and this:

i assume the green arrow is reputation?  not sure that is actually working properly...  has rather odd behavior... no mouse over info and using changes it to a red down arrow.  isn't very intuitive what it is actually doing.

Edited by LasraelLarson
  • Upvote 1

I had to reset my password for some reason, wouldn't allow me to log in. I'll reserve judgement until I have time to use the forums.....like at work tomorrow! >:)

EDIT: I see what's going on, log in is now our forums handle.

Edited by Spidey

more issues regarding sizing spotted.

inserting quotes from OF causes some serious side-scrolling issues if the original format is preserved.  IE the OP of this thread:

the official forum quote expands outside the actual formatted page boarders (on my screen anyway) and i actually have to side scroll to read.

i can do this no problem, but it is ugly as...    ;)

i really like the new color palette.

image displays and video playback are a definite plus, at least on initial glance.

line spacing is a tad enormous.... as in it is like each line has a header and footer space, close to equal the size of the text.

i also have a big ass LCD monitor, so i assume things default to screen size, which for me is making everything really REALLY large.  that will take some time to adjust too, and the new layout of information (recent, online, etc.) but otherwise, seems slightly faster than the former forums.  almost snappy.  ;) 

edit - and this:

i assume the green arrow is reputation?  not sure that is actually working properly...  has rather odd behavior... no mouse over info and using changes it to a red down arrow.  isn't very intuitive what it is actually doing.

​Not seeing a new palette, or maybe just not noticing. Haven't played with video yet. Line spacing +1, I'm in agreement, nothing major though. Also using a big ass monitor, but not seeing much difference in sizing. But then again it is 27" widescreen but only 1920x1080, that may be the difference between us. Response does seem improved. And I gave you a green arrow click, look at the top right corner and you should see a notification that someone liked your post.

Also I did get my free copy of GTA V and the coupon for the Half-Life 3 discount, thanks MueR!

:D

​Not seeing a new palette, or maybe just not noticing.

​not a massive change, but here is original:former_zpsbewmyskc.png

and here is new:

not_former_zps8wk3l0yk.png

more grayscale & darker (more) blues.

Thanks Muer for your hard work. :) 

I like the look. Is there a way to see how many 'likes' a particular post gets though?

edit - and this:

​The reputation system is set to "positive only". So once you upvote a post, you can remove that upvote if you wish. No info is displayed about the number of upvotes a post has received, though after a certain amount it will be apparent that a post is liked by a fair amount of users.

more issues regarding sizing spotted.

inserting quotes from OF causes some serious side-scrolling issues if the original format is preserved.  IE the OP of this thread:

the official forum quote expands outside the actual formatted page boarders (on my screen anyway) and i actually have to side scroll to read.

i can do this no problem, but it is ugly as...    ;)

Yep. I've already reported this to Invision. It's a bug in their system which annoys the hell out of me. Basically, they're pasting almost the entire HTML content of whatever you select into the editor and that just converts to HTML. While it will strip javascript and all that rubbish, there kind-of is a reason why no-one but Admins are allowed to post HTML.

Changed the max width of the forum to 1200px (was 1340) to make it a bit less huge. Too wide forums annoy the hell out of me too :P

Has that recent topics plugin that was at the top of the page stopped working?

Edited by Laurinaohtar

Has that recent topics plugin that was at the top of the page stopped working?

​I miss this feature already, too. The "New Content" feature (click on the star at the top) may be a good enough replacement, though.

Edited by Fredelas

There is a latest topics feature on the sidebar, that should show it?

​The old one just had a little more information in it (see LasraelLarson screenshot above) such as who the last poster was etc... It also used to refresh itself I believe rather than waiting for a full page refresh.

​The latest topics doesn't seem to update with new posts. It only shows a new topic.

And the 5 new posts bit below that is less helpful because it shows multiple posts from the same threads, so you can't see what current threads are popular at the time if they've already been bumped off the list.

Yeah, that posts block is rather pointless. I'll look into making one myself. The old plugin no longer works, it barely managed to hang on in the previous forum update (from 3.3.x to 3.4.x), it did not survive the 3.4.x to 4.0.x move.

• Upvote 1

Changed the max width of the forum to 1200px (was 1340) to make it a bit less huge. Too wide forums annoy the hell out of me too :P

​that is (IMO) an improvement.

the new circle format for player icons is cutting my image in a way the previous square setting did not.  i have tried editing in a new image to see if i can adjust the alignment that way, but every attempt generates a fatal error file.  so something in the new user settings has limited the ability to edit icons.

also i am fine with the circle format, it looks good, so i am happy to reformat my image to make it work...  just not allowed to currently.

additionally, i have white-listed the site.  just noticed i hadn't done that yet.  been doing it for certain Twitch streamers; i can certainly do it here as well.d;)b

I'm just stunned somebody is trying to improve a forum. Is that allowed??

Just like you are allowed to post on it ...

• Upvote 1