LOTROCommunity

Infinite Crisis Closing: August 14th, 2015

thordsvin

Source

And apparently the person who posted this wishes to remain anonymous. So what went wrong? Did anything go right?

Edit: It looks they've made everything in-game free so until it shuts down it's actually a free to play game. Also, Turbine are referring people to support to inquire about refunds.

Also, Steam Customer Support is refunding any customer who purchased either The Starter Pack or The Elite Pack here. Source

Edited by thordsvin
adding addition info on refunds

On one hand, That's good since it won't be taking funds anymore from Turbine's other games. On the other hand, bad because it has no chance of ever recouping some of the investment costs now, and without the marvel game, It also makes turbine less attractive in the eyes of Warner brothers. The failure of an IP is never a good thing for a game company, at the end of the day.

• Upvote 1

I'm shocked, shocked that gambling is going on...

Well... sparkly new severs for LOTRO mergers... that were paid for with LOTRO money and should've been invested in LOTRO in the first place? Poetic?

Edited by fittybolger
  • Upvote 1

Well... sparkly new severs for LOTRO mergers... that were paid for with LOTRO money and should've been invested in LOTRO in the first place? Poetic?

​I wonder if they've had this shut down planned for a while. Is LOTRO getting the Infinite Crisis servers perhaps?

​poetic justice indeed.  i would say that this may signal some solid development resources dedicated back to LOTRO, but...who are we kidding, it's turbine

Complete waste of time and money for Turbine.

Which is why I'm so happy, god I want that company to crash and burn.

This was an extremely difficult decision to make

Haha, no it fuckin' wasn't. Nobody played it, nobody spent money on it. Bet an executive took a whole 3 seconds of deliberating to cut the cord.

Edited by Dakilven

According to Wikipedia the official launch date of Infinite Crisis was 26th March, which means that this game officially lasted for 68 days from launch to notice of cancellation. By the time it closes, it will have technically been in existence as a finished product, birth to death, for 111 days.

111 days.

That has got to be some kind of record.

All that money spent, all that time in open beta, all that effort spent trying to market it as some sort of big deal.

I would be curious to find out the total budget of the game, just to calculate exactly how much Turbine wasted on it per day of its life.

• Upvote 1

The only mention of this I could find of my brief search of the LotRO forums was someone saying:

'I'm sorry for any Turbine employees affected and I hope that they are able to shift over into DDO/LOTRO.'

Because DDO/LotRO will definitely be the life-raft for Turbine!

tumblr_n61dnqyCCz1shio1vo3_400.gif

• Upvote 1

According to Wikipedia the official launch date of Infinite Crisis was 26th March, which means that this game officially lasted for 68 days from launch to notice of cancellation. By the time it closes, it will have technically been in existence as a finished product, birth to death, for 111 days.

111 days.

All that money spent, all that time in open beta, all that effort spent trying to market it as some sort of big deal.

I would be curious to find out the total budget of the game, just to calculate exactly how much Turbine wasted on it per day of its life.

trying not to think about how all those wasted resources could have went onto LOTRO.

worse, turbine seems to be going ahead with their game of thrones mobile game.

so much for not repeating past mistakes.

111 days.

​111 days, that is a very LOTR number.  1 day for every year of Bilbo's life before he retired to Rivendell

• Upvote 1

​Wasn't IC one of the main reasons for the hardware consolidation in the first place?

Any chance that Turbine will just say screw it and do a 180 on the server mergers now  (And see if they can return all that hardware or sell it)?

• Upvote 1

The only mention of this I could find of my brief search of the LotRO forums was ...

​Enjoy.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?569696-Infinite-Crisis-RIP

Some of the most prominent OF participants & zealots are chipping in, too bad Frelorn locked it already:

Unfortunately in any part of life, not everything can work out the way we would like. With that said, the closure of Infinite Crisis is not going to have any impact on the plans we have for LOTRO as they are two separate franchises. We are still moving forward with our hardware upgrade and datacenter move, as well as all the content and features we have planned.

Needles to say, there are also very inappropriate famous Latin quotes!

• Upvote 1

Just found some gold posted on reddit a few minutes before someone posted the closure announcement. IC fanboys sound an awful lot like LOTRO's official forums don't they? Poor guy still can't even let go.

​Maybe because Turbine keep the spin on full speed about the game. How great it doing, all the future content coming, etc. Then, very quickly they shut down the game. I would be upset too, if I spent money and was foolish enough to believe Turbine's spin.

In other news, Blizzards successful, light MOBA launched today: Heroes of the Storm. It's a great game. Easy to start, unlike LolL or DOTA, and free.

Also:

Steam Customer Support will refund any customer who purchased either The Starter Pack or The Elite Pack. To request a refund, please follow the instructions here:https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6345-QIDX-7244

But of course Turbine/WB will not offer any refunds.

Edited by nosam9
  • Upvote 1