LOTROCommunity
thordsvin

Infinite Crisis Closing: August 14th, 2015

​There is nothing to let us think any new people are coming to the Lotro team, or they are going to increase the budget for Lotro now that IC is dead. I guess it is possible, but I am sure all their budget, money and talent will be put into their new dreams - the new mobile games they are making.

I can't see they starting to invest in an old game with really bad netcode and a decreasing population. They time to reinvest in Lotro was after F2P when they could have made some very good expansions and kept the game thriving. It is way to late now - they sucked all the life and charm out of the game - and never fixed the performance and lag problems.

​agreed My personal opinion is that the last window for market growth for LOTRO was during/after ROI or early ROR.  During a time when the movies were running, interest in the IP itself was at it's peak, and people still had spontaneous discussions about LOTRO outside a couple specific sites.  By the time of Eriabor/Wildamoor LOTRO had wasted it's last chance as far as the industry was concerned which walked away. HD merely added the fork.

EDIT my favorite quote from that article:

"The clueless developers will happily cough up huge consultancy fees for esports veterans who appear to have all the answers. Then for the most part, because they are games developers, they ignore almost every piece of advice they don’t like the sound of. "

Resume warriors to the rescue. 

Edited by Bendin

​agreed My personal opinion is that the last window for market growth for LOTRO was during/after ROI or early ROR.  During a time when the movies were running, interest in the IP itself was at it's peak, and people still had spontaneous discussions about LOTRO outside a couple specific sites.  By the time of Eriabor/Wildamoor LOTRO had wasted it's last chance as far as the industry was concerned which walked away. HD merely added the fork.

EDIT my favorite quote from that article:

"The clueless developers will happily cough up huge consultancy fees for esports veterans who appear to have all the answers. Then for the most part, because they are games developers, they ignore almost every piece of advice they don’t like the sound of. "

Resume warriors to the rescue. 

The independent studios that get crowd sourced seemed to be the last ones caring.  To most of the rest players are cattle.

The independent studios that get crowd sourced seemed to be the last ones caring.  To most of the rest players are cattle.

​hehe if only it were that cut and dried.  While the ambitions of some small indies are impressive, the ability of some to aim for achievable goals leaves a bit to be desired. Great ideas are awesome if you can actually bring that idea to market, otherwise it don't pay the light bill.   For me "independent studios" fall into several categories

Technically Blizzard and Bethesda are independent no?  Most studios who can make good games generally fall into 3 categories

Those who match creativity with business sense better than the avg rock, who over time grow to the above

Those who can create and manage but decide they want to do something else and sell while the goings good.  Bioware as an example

The following are sub categories of the 3rd

Those who can create but lack the ability to manage...anything and overtime go away in one form or another.

Those who cannot create but copy very well, and over time go away in one form or another.

While there are a whole slew of studies independent or otherwise who define bad games.  one Look at the Steam store will give plenty examples of such.

Edited by Bendin

is there any news on what developers they're switching around? i might consider playing again if they moved orion back.

​Heh, and I might cancel my recently renewed sub if they bring him back.

Why does this not surprise me in the slightest?

According to Wikipedia the official launch date of Infinite Crisis was 26th March, which means that this game officially lasted for 68 days from launch to notice of cancellation. By the time it closes, it will have technically been in existence as a finished product, birth to death, for 111 days.

111 days.

That has got to be some kind of record.

All that money spent, all that time in open beta, all that effort spent trying to market it as some sort of big deal.

I would be curious to find out the total budget of the game, just to calculate exactly how much Turbine wasted on it per day of its life.

Wrath of Hero's (EA's Warhammer MOBA) didn't even make it out of beta :D

Fair enough, Celestrata moved to Trion after getting shitcanned so there's some shit news right there if anyone plays Archeage lol

Fair enough, Celestrata moved to Trion after getting shitcanned so there's some shit news right there if anyone plays Archeage lol

That's good news for us, as LotRO doesn't have to deal with Celestrata for a while (hopefully never again)

• Upvote 1

Can't say I ever really had a problem with Celestrata to be honest.

Lucky you. He was the reason I was finally banned. Probably gave me more infractions for bullshit than Sapience did. He was a prick.

• Upvote 1

Isn't that because you insist to call Celestrata "He" instead of "She" / whatever he/she is? ;)

Isn't that because you insist to call Celestrata "He" instead of "She" / whatever he/she is? ;)

Yeah, it's against the rules to refuse to pander to delusions... that's why Turbine ban people who criticise LotRO! :P

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it's against the rules to refuse to pander to delusions... that's why Turbine ban people who criticise LotRO! :P

Heh... from the exact first moment I knew of that situation.

"Why?".

Why did I have to know about his condition? Was it critical to his job with Turbine that I, or any other LOTRO player, knew his sexual situation? Turbine forums became something of a blow-horn for an employees personal life/ideas which had nothing to do with LOTRO or LOTR. 

While it is true I am very much against this behavior the argument I have here is simply that I really don't need/want to know this private life shit about an employee of a game I play. IMO this type of revelation is not generally considered professional corporate policy.

Heh... from the exact first moment I knew of that situation.

"Why?".

Why did I have to know about his condition? Was it critical to his job with Turbine that I, or any other LOTRO player, knew his sexual situation? Turbine forums became something of a blow-horn for an employees personal life/ideas which had nothing to do with LOTRO or LOTR. 

While it is true I am very much against this behavior the argument I have here is simply that I really don't need/want to know this private life shit about an employee of a game I play. IMO this type of revelation is not generally considered professional corporate policy.

Ah it was because he kept putting weird cat faces in his text and acting like a teenage girl with people, so when fights broke out amongst the fanboys as to whether he was male or female, he had to come out with his reason. I get that the confusion needed to be sorted, even if it was unnecessary in the first place.

But imagine if no one suspected him of being a guy at all... and then his first community video came out. The reaction would have been hilarious.

• Upvote 1

Bigotry is unacceptable, whether you think you are 'in the right' or that they 'deserve it' or they 'haven't earned the right to be treated with respect' or any of the other bullshit excuses people came out with the last time we had this discussion here.

It's never ok, people, and the only one it ever reflects badly on is yourself. Grow up.

Edited by Hajile
  • Upvote 2

How so?

Well bigotry is not accepting the opinions of others and you said bigotry was unacceptable... it's like being intolerant to intolerance.

Well bigotry is not accepting the opinions of others and you said bigotry was unacceptable... it's like being intolerant to intolerance.

Oh deary me, lol. I can only assume you're being facetious, because otherwise I've given you altogether too much credit. :)

• Upvote 1

Oh deary me, lol. I can only assume you're being facetious, because otherwise I've given you altogether too much credit. :)

Not at all. If you're saying it's bigoted to consider 'transgenderism' an abnormality, then you're being bigoted by not tolerating other people's positions. Works both ways, see?

Not at all. If you're saying it's bigoted to consider 'transgenderism' an abnormality, then you're being bigoted by not tolerating other people's positions. Works both ways, see?

Indeed I do see, and no, it doesn't work both ways. "You are the intolerant one for not tolerating my intolerance" is about the stupidest logical fallacy it is possible to encounter.

It is also the same logical fallacy that those right wing Christian nutjobs in America trot out when they want to do horrible things like deny gay or Muslim people service in their shops, ostensibly on religious grounds, in order to try to make themselves the victim in the situation.

And so I choose to believe that you are using it jokingly and are not that dense. Call me mega-polite, giving you the benefit of the doubt this way :)

• Upvote 1

Indeed I do see, and no, it doesn't work both ways. "You are the intolerant one for not tolerating my intolerance" is about the stupidest logical fallacy it is possible to encounter.

It is also the same logical fallacy that those right wing Christian nutjobs in America trot out when they want to do horrible things like deny gay or Muslim people service in their shops, ostensibly on religious grounds, in order to try to make themselves the victim in the situation.

And so I choose to believe that you are using it jokingly and are not that dense. Call me mega-polite, giving you the benefit of the doubt this way :)

My point is that you are deciding to label other people's opinions as bigoted and unacceptable simply because you disagree with them, which is exactly what bigoted means. You are being intolerant of somebody else's opinion and then trying to validate it by projecting that intolerance onto them. Hence, irony.

It's not so much bigotry as it's just pathetic behaviour.

Nice ad hominem. We'll put it with the others.

My point is that you are deciding to label other people's opinions as bigoted and unacceptable simply because you disagree with them, which is exactly what bigoted means. You are being intolerant of somebody else's opinion and then trying to validate it by projecting that intolerance onto them. Hence, irony.

Then your point is spurious nonsense.

I'm not labeling your opinions as bigoted and unacceptable "simply because I disagree with them." I am labeling them as bigoted and unacceptable because they are poisonous, spiteful, mean-spirited, exclusionary and ill-informed. So in that way I am very mechanically and objectively pointing out a truth. This is not a case where you can spin the mirror around and go "Ah-hah!" You need the moral high ground to do that, otherwise it's just a feeble attempt at deflection.

You are especially ill-informed in your suggestion that having a gender identity that differs to your assigned sex is a "delusion," which implies you believe it to be a mental illness. This shows the level of your ignorance about transgenderism, and attitudes like yours perpetrate a huge amount of psychological damage on those to whom they are directed. It's abusive and callous behaviour and should not be accepted because of the harm it inflicts.

Moreover, your refusal to use the pronouns appropriate to an individual's gender identity on the basis that 'they are a big old meanie poopyhead' betrays an enormous amount of childish vindictiveness and cruelty on your part that I can scarcely believe you are trying to justify. Nobody deserves to be treated that way.

Yet you don't seem to care. In fact you seem to like doing it, because, I dunno, the internet or something. So at best you're an ignorant internet blowhard, and at worst you're a sadist and a bully. Take your pick, because either way it's bigotry.

Edited by Hajile
  • Upvote 1