LOTROCommunity

Infinite Crisis Closing: August 14th, 2015

thordsvin

With Celestrata, the problem wasn't so much the gender issues (his/her/its life, whatever), but the fact that Celestrata arbitrarily handed out infractions.  It was also the only time that I ever received infractions on the LotRO forums.

Celestrata is part of what made Sapience such a reign of terror on the forums, to the point that many posters became outright afraid of posting because the infractions were just so arbitrary, and not actually related to anything.

For that, I say good riddance.  Celestrata's another company's issue now.

• Upvote 1

My Celestrata random infraction story:

On the HD beta forums, somebody (not me) called a member of the Players Council (who was aggressively insisting that HD was going to be rainbows-and-unicorns wonderful) a shill.

The PC member, who wasn't a native English speaker but got the general idea from the context, asked, "What's a shill? Is that like a patsy?"

I said (quoting only his question): "Yes, but a shill is a willing accomplice, while a patsy may not be."

Which, as far as I was concerned, was simply doing a non-native speaker the courtesy of telling him what a word meant.

I think Celestrata gave me a two-pointer for that, and (of course) my appeal was summarily rejected without explanation.

My Celestrata random infraction story:

On the HD beta forums, somebody (not me) called a member of the Players Council (who was aggressively insisting that HD was going to be rainbows-and-unicorns wonderful) a shill.

The PC member, who wasn't a native English speaker but got the general idea from the context, asked, "What's a shill? Is that like a patsy?"

I said (quoting only his question): "Yes, but a shill is a willing accomplice, while a patsy may not be."

Which, as far as I was concerned, was simply doing a non-native speaker the courtesy of telling him what a word meant.

I think Celestrata gave me a two-pointer for that, and (of course) my appeal was summarily rejected without explanation.

If I could login to my old account, I'd have some brilliant ones to show from him. Last one he hit me with was for not singing his praises in a thread somebody made about how good a job he was doing. After that, Sapience then hit me with multiple infractions for 'trolling'... about 6 months AFTER I had already been perma-banned. Guess they wanted to make sure.

But I looked through my email history for any reverted infractions (I had many) and I came across this (I'll take the relevant bit):

After reviewing the three infractions in question, we have made the decision to reverse the first two infractions, but maintain the third infraction. While we agree that the first two were not necessarily trolling, the third infraction does begin to cross the line into the territory of insults. Referring to other sites as "sucking up" to Turbine or mentioning "fake players" (when another user brought up the positive feedback players are offering on mounted combat) is a violation of our community guidelines. To that end, we are leaving the third infraction in place.
When posting to the boards, please do not use such insults and please try to create posts that offer additional insight and promote positive discussion amongst users instead of debasing or insulting the opinions of others. Thank you!

And this is the post they were referring to: 'Do you mean those websites who suck up to Turbine to try to get exclusive interviews and sneak peaks? Or do you mean players?'

Fake players, eh? Seems they had a bit of a guilty conscience.

Edit: Oh shit, I found this too!

Thank you for your reply.

In investigating your ticket, we looked at your infraction history. It is quite clear that there is no possibility that you would be successful in your appeal, so we can tell you now that no appeal would be successful.

For example, you were infracted for trolling in this post: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?482495&p=6460825#post6460825

Trolling for this post: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?474509&p=6362602#post6362602

And you received an instant ban with a 20 point infraction for advertising Guild Wars 2 in your signature.

We apologize, but in reviewing your posting history, we cannot justify a return of your posting privileges. Advertising another company's game in your signature is enough for a permanent ban from the forums, but you also received infractions for trolling, discussing moderation, and other violations of the Community Guidelines.

The 'advertising' of GW2 was just 'Tyria awaits...'. That same signature was removed months prior to my perma-ban, and yet the infraction was supposedly given months AFTER I was perma-banned. 20 point infraction for a signature that hadn't been there for near a year, booyah!

Now I remember what pissed me off the most about Celestrata!

Back when I was banned for god knows what (even Turbine can't decide), Celestrata went full psycho and banned my brother for posting on the forums. Why? Well, we shared an IP, so to Celestrata assumed we were the same person. Not only that, he got the in-game admins to temporarily ban both of our accounts (because I'd go so far as to set up a fake account with long-term characters on it, obviously).

From my perspective, I went to log-in the game and found a ban out of nowhere, so I sent a ticket. When they said it was for having another account, I prodded for more information. They claimed that I was still active on the forums. I assumed one of my many troll accounts were found, even though I used proxies for them. But they gave me an account name I didn't recognise.

From my brother's perspective, he started getting snotty messages from Celestrata. I never saw them myself, but he says they were pretty confusing because he was going on about stuff involving me as though my brother was supposed to know. Then he came out with it and just said 'you are Doro' and then banned him from the forums and then in-game. He was pissed when he came to me asking how I'd managed to fuck off a CM so much they were hunting my family.

You should have cited pseudo-scientific evidence that trolling, like trans-genderism (is that a word? let's pretend it is), is a genetic pre-disposition, and that therefore he was obliged to accept your self-identification as such...

:Y

I had a clap gif ready but the upload doesn't seem to be working for it (infinite loading spiral).