LOTROCommunity

Fallout 4

Laurinaohtar

Not really impressed with trailer.

Additionally it seems that Fallout 4 will be also made with Xbox 360 and PS3 in mind.

There is code in the CSS referencing "Preorder" buttons, they are listed as Xbox one, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3 and PC.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3880hp/the_fallout_homepage_just_changed_to_a_countdown/crt0t5u

That doesn not really seem like good news tbh.

I'm excited but... it doesn't look like they've done anything different to Fallout 3. I'm hoping the trailer was intentionally underwhelming.

​Same here. The trailer seemed to pull alot from Fallout 3, even the music. Hell, the Skyrim teaser was more impressive than this.

Additionally it seems that Fallout 4 will be also made with Xbox 360 and PS3 in mind.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3880hp/the_fallout_homepage_just_changed_to_a_countdown/crt0t5u

​Ewwwww........I mean, I still like my 360/ps3 but, come on.  It's bad enough developers are flooding the current gen market with remakes/remasters of last gen titles :F

​Same here. The trailer seemed to pull alot from Fallout 3, even the music. Hell, the Skyrim teaser was more impressive than this.

​Ewwwww........I mean, I still like my 360/ps3 but, come on.  It's bad enough developers are flooding the current gen market with remakes/remasters of last gen titles :F

​Even if that Xbox 360/PS3 info is bullshit then:

I'm excited but... it doesn't look like they've done anything different to Fallout 3. I'm hoping the trailer was intentionally underwhelming.

​It really seem like Bethesda just took same old graphic engine like in F3,  and even some of the same textures&aniamtions, brushed up, put on very diffrent bright colors to make it look diffrent and voila.

I was kinda expecting much more from a sequel that comes 7 years later from a company that makes absolutele pools of money making one of best selling games in indsutry ever.

I mean it might be a good game and maybe I have too high expectations, but I was just expecting more.

Edited by drul

The game's already attracting some aggressive defending from rabid fanboys. There's a minority of people who are saying they're disappointed with the graphics, that it looks like a fan-mod for FO3, that there are games from 5 years ago that looks more polished than this... and the majority are treating it like the highest form of blasphemy.

And here I was getting a little disappointed about the lack of controversy on the internet lately.

• 2 weeks later...

From Bethesda E3 conference yesterday.

Release date will be in November.

It seems the game starts out before the war. You then (somehow) wake up 200 years later in the familiar Fallout world. You can play as the husband or the wife of the family seen in the trailer.

The dog in the trailer is a companion character that can fight for you and fetch and other companion type things.

You can build a settlement that you will have to defend against raiders and can be upgraded with defense turrets and stores and more useful buildings. Presumably some more companions as well.

VATS combat system from Fallout 3 is back (where you target individual limbs on enemies).

Collectors edition includes a PIP Boy!

To be honest, most exciting announcement was a release date. Everything else looks ok.

CHgojIsWsAAgtNs.jpg-large-620x349.jpeg

Edited by Laurinaohtar

"It seems the game starts out before the war. You then (somehow) wake up 200 years later in the familiar Fallout world."

All the Fallout games (literature generally) adhere to rules that constrain the plot; i presume the gap between the start of the game being played out pre-apocalypse and the post apocalyptic time will be explained by the protagonist being bundled into a vault and 'sleeping' those years away in suspended animation (having been demonstrated in previous games) then awakening in North America's present ruinous state with the obligatory awe inspiring view as the vault door opens to reveal the wider world.

Also the concept of a more 'advanced' society existing and preceding a later less 'advanced' one shouldn't be lost on fans of LOTR.

How was The Lord of the Rings influenced by World War One?

Battle of the Somme: the 'animal horror' that inspired JRR Tolkien

INFLUENCES ON THE LORD OF THE RINGS

Edited by Eillwen
References

i presume the gap between the start of the game being played out pre-apocalypse and the post apocalyptic time will be explained by the protagonist being bundled into a vault and 'sleeping' those years away in suspended animation

​Almost certainly.It's strange that the dog seems to survive as well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what the story is there.

I'm looking forward to it, but also prepared for disappointment.

Okay.  Watched those new trailers.

Not impressed.  It is not that Bethesda done something wrong, it is about what they have NOT do it.

I've expected Bethesda improving on it's TES/Fallout series weakness ​like dialogues, characters, story, combat, AI, etc  or improving on 'sandboxy'/virtual simulation stuff like physics, interaction with terrain, survival elements, etc    prefereably both. After all they are owners of best selling (TES) and one of best selling (Fallout) single player RPGs in the world for PC&PS&Xbox.

Yet I get a Dog,  same bad simplistic dialogues and builder in-game editor for some generic gameplay.  Not to mention all this in a paid mods sauce.

I just don't get why it does get hype.   I am myself between "meh" and "dissapointment" for now.

Edited by drul

I just don't get why it does get hype.

​It's currently riding on the popularity of its forebears. Fallout 3 was amazing. So was New Vegas. And they hit 3 homeruns with Elder Scrolls 3, 4 and 5.

It's a bit like the hype directors get after their big breakthrough film. The Wachowskis, M. Night Shamalamadingdong, and Peter Jackson are examples of that.

​It's currently riding on the popularity of its forebears. Fallout 3 was amazing. So was New Vegas. And they hit 3 homeruns with Elder Scrolls 3, 4 and 5.

It's a bit like the hype directors get after their big breakthrough film. The Wachowskis, M. Night Shamalamadingdong, and Peter Jackson are examples of that.

​Yeah, I get why it does get so much attention.  It rightfully does.

I just don't get why there seem to be reactions like "dog companies woho!" or "we can build generic settlements to ride some generic defend / caravans between them woho!".

Instead of "show us real stuff,  real meat and bones instead of fluff and cheap stuff."

I mean Bethesda did some really great games with TES/Fallout 3 , but don't people want an improvement of elements of those game series are/were clearly lacking hard?  

Especially that Bethsesda really DOES have a money to pull it off and earn buttload of cash anyway.

Edited by drul

​Yeah, I get why it does get so much attention.  It rightfully does.

I just don't get why there seem to be reactions like "dog companies woho!" or "we can build generic settlements to ride some generic defend / caravans between them woho!".

Instead of "show us real stuff,  real meat and bones instead of fluff and cheap stuff."

I mean Bethesda did some really great games with TES/Fallout 3 , but don't people want an improvement of elements of those game series are/were clearly lacking hard?  

Especially that Bethsesda really DOES have a money to pull it off and earn buttload of cash anyway.

​They showed a LOT more meat than you may have realized.

For instance, it appears that they have merged skills into perks entirely.  Evidence: screenshot of the tooltip for Intelligence: "Intelligence improves the amount of experience you gain" - no longer references "number of skill points gained per level".  The pip boy is also missing a visible section for skills, and instead of perks there are "perk charts".

So it would seem we are going to be gaining perk points per level, which we will spend in perk trees that have replaced 'skills' altogether.

Another interesting reveal - critical hits are not random, at least not in VATS.  There is a meter that fills up and we can choose when to execute the critical hit once the meter is full.  The tool tip for luck states that it "Increases the rate that the critical meter fills".

It's not clear that power armor can be worn full time.  A unique HUD appears when wearing it with a meter tracking the "Core" (power core).  Using some of the systems seems to drain this.  Also, individual pieces of armor on the suit can be damaged/destroyed.  Much of the armor appears to be modular.

The crafting system looks FANTASTIC.  Huge improvement over previous modern fallout games (3 and NV).

For instance, it appears that they have merged skills into perks entirely. 

​Change of mechanics that does not really does much to a game.  Kinda like Lotro and many other MMORPGs seem to do.  Change/alternate mechanics, it's cheaper than to adress the content or to bring new complex/innovative mechanics.

Another interesting reveal - critical hits are not random, at least not in VATS.  There is a meter that fills up and we can choose when to execute the critical hit once the meter is full.  The tool tip for luck states that it "Increases the rate that the critical meter fills".

​Remain to be seen if it does make combat better, but it's not anything that will made it fundamentally better.  Another alternation of mechanic, and not adressing "meat" of the combat - like whole combat concept, gunplay, melee hit detection, hitbox, mobs AI, etc

It's not clear that power armor can be worn full time.  A unique HUD appears when wearing it with a meter tracking the "Core" (power core).  Using some of the systems seems to drain this.  Also, individual pieces of armor on the suit can be damaged/destroyed.  Much of the armor appears to be modular.

​Possibly most interesting change.  Remain to be seen whether it's interesting and not just superficial fluff.

The crafting system looks FANTASTIC.  Huge improvement over previous modern fallout games (3 and NV).

​I know that many people like crafting, but for me crafting in single player RPG is definately not something essential or 'core' and rarely is interesting.

None of this really adress things I would consider important or eseential to single player RPG like i.e.  Content, story, dialogues, important combat parts, AI.  None of those things bring something new to the TES/Fallout series either.

It's mainly tweaking of already existing mechanics.  Colour me unimpressed.

Edited by drul

​I know that many people like crafting, but for me crafting in single player RPG is definately not something essential or 'core' and rarely is interesting.

​In a wasteland setting, where scarcity is a huge factor in gameplay, a good crafting system is a HUGE essential and can be very core to the experience.

None of this really adress things I would consider important or eseential to single player RPG like i.e.  Content, story, dialogues, important combat parts, AI.  None of those things bring something new to the TES/Fallout series either.

It's mainly tweaking of already existing mechanics.  Colour me unimpressed.

​I remain interested in seeing the changes in my own hands before I can pass judgement...

but it's a bit funny to me that all the things you are mad you didn't see, are things that are necessarily going to be hard if not impossible to convincingly show in a stage demo.

On dialogue, don't expect an improvement.  Because it's an institutional weakness in Bethesda as a studio.  That's why the writing/dialogue for New Vegas was hugely superior to FO3.

I think you undersell the combat changes - there do appear to be quite a few things under the hood here.  VATs used to only allow time to move (at a very slow rate) when carrying out actions.  Now VATS always allows a slowed time pass.  Melee attacks with ranged weapons are confirmed - both pistol whips and optional bayonets on long arms.  Also sniping at range now has a "hold breath" system - allowing you to steady the scope, and also using some form metered resource.

The entire character building system - something core to any RPG experience - has changed.  Perhaps for the better.  Perhaps not.

Getting dissapointed that something that can't be shown in a stage demo effectively wasn't shown in a stage demo seems like jumping the gun slightly.  Though what they were able to show of the voiced protagonist seemed effective.  Having other characters able to refer to you audibly by name (caveat: IF you choose one of the "thousands" of common names they've recorded dialogue for) was effective where it was shown.  The internal monologue in parts they showed will be interesting - it will be new to this type of game.  Time will tell if the dialogue wheel is too limiting depending on how it works with whatever factional/karma/perk/special based responses may exist.

TLDR: the stuff you are most wanting to see improved don't necessarily show up well in a stage demo.

​In a wasteland setting, where scarcity is a huge factor in gameplay, a good crafting system is a HUGE essential and can be very core to the experience.

​Sure it can be, but vanilla Fallout 3 never was a survival game and I don't think anyone expects that Bethesda will make Fallout 4 one as well.  That would be going against mainstream appeal.    Without surivlal edge crafting esepcially one like in Skyrim / Fallout - which is get a recipe then gather XYZ amount of YUI elements does not really bring much to the table imho.  

I've watched a video and it really seems like Skyrim system, with a diffrence than instead of gathering herbs from bushes and metal from metal nodes,  you will gather resources from items in the buildings/on the ground.    It's conceptually same system.

​I remain interested in seeing the changes in my own hands before I can pass judgement...

but it's a bit funny to me that all the things you are mad you didn't see, are things that are necessarily going to be hard if not impossible to convincingly show in a stage demo.

​I am not mad.  I am disappointed and bit irritated.

As for judgement - I am judging what Bethesda shows us.  If further materials they will show in the future, will show that things in F4 are diffrent than they seem from what they have shown now - then obviously my judgement will change.

Kinda obvious.  Not sure why you seem to expect people should not judge this bits they shown us now?

On dialogue, don't expect an improvement.  Because it's an institutional weakness in Bethesda as a studio.  That's why the writing/dialogue for New Vegas was hugely superior to FO3.

​Bethesda should not get a free pass on dialogues because "it was always like that in their games".    They certainly have resources and projected sales that would allow them to make dialogues better.  

I think you undersell the combat changes - there do appear to be quite a few things under the hood here.  VATs used to only allow time to move (at a very slow rate) when carrying out actions.  Now VATS always allows a slowed time pass.  Melee attacks with ranged weapons are confirmed - both pistol whips and optional bayonets on long arms.  Also sniping at range now has a "hold breath" system - allowing you to steady the scope, and also using some form metered resource.

​I am not convinced.   I guess we'll see when game will release.

Getting dissapointed that something that can't be shown in a stage demo effectively wasn't shown in a stage demo seems like jumping the gun slightly.  Though what they were able to show of the voiced protagonist seemed effective.  Having other characters able to refer to you audibly by name (caveat: IF you choose one of the "thousands" of common names they've recorded dialogue for) was effective where it was shown.  The internal monologue in parts they showed will be interesting - it will be new to this type of game.  Time will tell if the dialogue wheel is too limiting depending on how it works with whatever factional/karma/perk/special based responses may exist.

TLDR: the stuff you are most wanting to see improved don't necessarily show up well in a stage demo.

Other characters refer to you audibly is a nice thing.  I admit - it really is a nice thing, althrough it is a fluff.  Nice fluff, atmospheric fluff, but still I would rather have core of an experience better like i.e. dialogues or quests than having even most atmospheric fluff added.  Same goes for internal dialogues, especially if they will be of same quality as usual TES/Fallout Bethesda writing.

TLDR: ​Remember that I am not judging a game, I am judging what Bethesda have shown us. I am not saying "I don't like Fallout 4",  I am simply saying "I am dissapointed in what they have shown us on stage videos".  If it will appear later on that stage videos gave me wrong impression and i.e. more in depth videos in future will prove that things are diffrent than they appear atm, then I will obviously change my opinion.

​Sure it can be, but vanilla Fallout 3 never was a survival game and I don't think anyone expects that Bethesda will make Fallout 4 one as well.  That would be going against mainstream appeal.    Without surivlal edge crafting esepcially one like in Skyrim / Fallout - which is get a recipe then gather XYZ amount of YUI elements does not really bring much to the table imho.  

I've watched a video and it really seems like Skyrim system, with a diffrence than instead of gathering herbs from bushes and metal from metal nodes,  you will gather resources from items in the buildings/on the ground.    It's conceptually same system.

​There are a few very important differences:

• Modular Crafting - All of the items in the game are modular.  You do not just craft a laser rifle.  You can also craft a light weight stock, a scope, a focuser or splitter, etc.  This is a pretty large departure from the Skyrim Craft system.
  • No obvious material tiers - It appears that any material based gating will ocur at the individual component or output level, rather than gating behind tiered repetitive materials.  There are not an artificial structures here like "Iron paperweight" vs "Dragon Bone" paperweight.  
  • Decoupled from a skill system - The lack of a skill system, and the assumed perk tree only system closes some loopholes from Skyrim (Crafting cycle abuse)

It's all iterative improvement.  But that's how MOST forms of improvement occur.  It takes a pretty shallow view to not note how different these systems are.

​Sure it can be, but vanilla Fallout 3 never was a survival game and I don't think anyone expects that Bethesda will make Fallout 4 one as well.

​Fallout 3 was not.  Fallout: New Vegas Was.  I would be surprised to not see some functionality here in FO4.  If not, it will be modded in rapidly.

​Bethesda should not get a free pass on dialogues because "it was always like that in their games".    They certainly have resources and projected sales that would allow them to make dialogues better.

​This is a real lack of economic thought process on your end.  You basically answered WHY they will not have a large improvement - Sales indicate to them that this is not a priority.  They have not improved as dialogue writers (through hiring or changing internal standards/practices) since Morrowind.  Yet each game has had higher sales outcome than the last.

• 4 months later...

Although it's just a day after release, there are already a ton of videos and comments.

I haven't played it yet. I have the feeling that a certain specific... atmosphere, or a feel, that Fallout 3 had, is somewhat missing here. Maybe the different engine, or some other reason, makes the NPCs move and talk like in a modern game - which is fine, but I'm nostalgic for the clumsy fallout-y manner in these things.

Did someone here tried it? What is your opinion? Does it feel like that Wasteland?