LOTROCommunity

Only a few hours in (so not exactly "saw-it-all") but I have to say - it seems impressive in some aspects and a very good game overall.

On the down side: the fighting/moving does feel a bit CoD-like, the enemies feel less scary (as in CoD). That's not as bad as just different to what you are used to in Fallout 3. The other obvious difference is the colors - they didn't spare those here. I kinda miss the greyish wasteland from before. Also, the crafting seems a bit overboard --like Skyrim + its house-building pack-- and, the worst of it all, the collecting of flowers and plants... Seriously? I'm skipping the botany part yet again, that's for sure.

But the feel of being in the wasteland --the most important feature that I feared would be lost in this game-- is still preserved. The scenery, the music, the sense of devastation, ruin, hopelessness - it's all there. The story develops nicely, good intro, good connection with the beginning of the story, good explanation of the war and everything, i.e. pleasantly informative. The game introduces you quickly to what you've seen in the teasers/trailers, e.g. the power armor. An early fight with a tough enemy gives you a taste for the future combat with a more developed character. The dialogue with NPCs reminds me of that in Mass Effect which, putting aside the initial awkward feel of mixed franchises, is actually very good. The good side of the crafting is that it adds a sense of a new hope - you are now rebuilding society, rather than just exploring what's left of it.

Add the colors, reduced sense of "scary" (OK, no ghouls in sight yet...) and the crafting, and you get something that I'd call an "optimistic Fallout game". Whether you'll like this or be disappointed I don't know. I still have a lot to see in order to form an opinion myself. It sure is a solid game, though.

On the down side: the fighting/moving does feel a bit CoD-like, the enemies feel less scary (as in CoD)

I've heard the opposite for this. Things like deathclaws being able to duck and weave when charging you, feral ghouls being faster than before, and rad scorps being able to burrow and appear behind you when you try to run away. Not quite Far Cry 3 level of shit-your-pants-there's-a-fucking-tiger-out-of-no-where combat, but less clunky than Fallout 3, at least.

Then again, I've not actually played it. And I probably won't until it drops down in price and it ends up on discount, like all my games. I'm always about 2 or 3 years behind the crowd (hence my Far Cry 3 reference!).

I didn't say it properly. I didn't mean the difficulty level of playing (which you can adjust anytime), but the feel and looks of the things. I actually don't play FPS games at high difficulty because enjoying the scenery/ambiance is more important for me than hand reflexes and fast clicking. Not going to a tournament anytime soon, that's for sure. If this can serve as a comparison of how differently scary things and ambiance felt to the player, compare the first with the last Bioshock games, for example.

If this can serve as a comparison of how differently scary things and ambiance felt to the player, compare the first with the last Bioshock games, for example.

Agreed. While Bioshock 3 (should have really been Physhock, for what little 'bio' stuff was involved) was a brilliant game, it didn't have anywhere near the same atmosphere as Bioshock. Especially the second game, with that fucking terrifying Big Sister.

Side note, Bioshock 3 is another game I only got around to playing a couple of months back...

From what say people I know for years and trust their opinions about games is that Fallout 4 while being sold and branded by Bethesda as RPG is really more of a FPS shooter with some superficial RPG elements and simple Sim/editor while you play tackled on.

I mean F3 was also like that, but opinion is that Bethesda with F4 went even more into realm of Borderlands / Farcry and even less into RPG than before.

Edited by drul

Think more Skyrim than Borderlands and you'll get my view at least (never played Farcry).

I actually liked that F3 is light on the RPG side, compared to say Skyrim. I found it to be just as much as I needed. F4 seems similar to F3 in this aspect. The introduction of crafting and building is another feature that I still have to check. I hope it's not a cheap gimmick.