LOTROCommunity

What's your "Go to" game?

Laurinaohtar

Just curious. I'm guessing many of us play many video games, if you are like me you will enjoy playing many new release games but what is your "go to" game when you are not playing the latest new release? What is the game you always return to?

For me many years ago that used to be LotRO but that has obviously changed and I rarely log in now.

I've been playing the Football Manager series since the mid 90's when it was known as Championship Manager, I still continue to play it regularly now. I've also clocked up about 1500 hours in TF2 according to Steam, it's just fun. More recently I spend far too much time (and money) in Hearthstone.

So which game is it that has been the first one you install on your new PC and you always return to?

I don't tend to play new releases because they cost more than I consider they're worth. I wait until they're at a discount (£5 or under).

But I tend to play games that have PvP servers. So games like Chivalry, CS:S, DoD:S, and TF2. I've got games like Half-life 2, Portal, Fable TLC, Hitman Blood Money, and Dark Souls (now I've fixed all the broken shit) that I play sometimes just for the gameplay.

Europa Universalis - previously EU2, now EU4

I've also used to back occasioanllly to such titles like:  Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Panzer General 1, Warcraft 3 mutliplayer, Football Manager and few others, but I've either completly exhausted content, got bored or/and game became too stressful (W3 mutli) or gameplay & AI offered became too simplistic so I don;t go back to them anymore. Maybe I'll make an exception to Football Manager one day and if Mutants Rising total conversion come to F2 one day I will propably play it again too.

One more I used to play and that warrant sepate entry = Civilization series - althrough I got Civilization 5 VERY late, and I don't really like it.  It got cluttered with many mechanics from all those DLCs, but each this mechanics is very simplistic and AI is just not good enough.  I think I've outgrown Civilisation to be honest.

Nowadays I don't really go back that much to games I've already played and I don't have : games from years ago that "I always have installed".  Currently I have only EU4 and Warhammer: Return of Reckoning installed.  When I'll get a better PC I will buy The Witcher 3 and maybe few other more recent releases (+ few more recent games that I already have in my backlog).

PS. I don't play all those F2P games like World of Tanks, Hearthstone, League of Legends, TF2, etc   not my style both gameplay wise and monetization wise.

Edited by drul

Lately?  Mech Warrior Online.

I must have something for games where a subset of the population assembles in dark corners of the internet on an alternate community page to be salty.

(Seriously - nothing new under the sun... see http://www.reddit.com/r/mwo vs http://www.reddit.com/r/outreachhpg )

​I remember when I heard first about MWO - I was interested since I've played Mechwarrior games back in the 90s. 

Then I've saw what this game was and even more importantly it's business model and I was like:

50-cent-driving-gif.gif

​I remember when I heard first about MWO - I was interested since I've played Mechwarrior games back in the 90s. 

Then I've saw what this game was and even more importantly it's business model and I was like:

50-cent-driving-gif.gif

​And yet... it creates matches like this... that literally end with in a dance off out of respect for the play of the last mech standing on one team.

Seriously, watch this.  

you-dont-say.jpg?resize=400%2C227

I would genuinely be surprised to learn you played anything other than TSW!

​I do say.

Any given game has enough issues that I do tend to only play 1 at a time. I do log into LotRO on rare occasion but I don't really "play" just pretty much hang out and chat with friends. I'm more of a non computer gamer, esp. when it comes to playing multiple games.

Edited by Spiteful

I've kinda lost interest in games the past few months, so don't have a go to game. I log into both my Rift accts daily for minion duty, only because it takes minutes. I log into ESO on weekends to do crafting dailies. Now that I'm on a medical LOA I log in daily, and now logging into LOTRO for dailies in the moors on my Burg and Spider. Waiting for a better sale price on GTA V then I'll jump on that.

​And yet... it creates matches like this... that literally end with in a dance off out of respect for the play of the last mech standing on one team.

Seriously, watch this.

Amazing match but...it is nothing THAT really special though. In instanced PVP games you play countless matches.    In every instanced PVP games I've played in my life for longer peroid of time amazing matches happened.

I still see no reason to play MWO and to agree to their insane business model.

Edited by drul

My go to game is Smite. I don't bother playing GW2's PvP anymore cuz Smite is much more fun. First person MOBA feels like an MMO anyways.

I used to play RIFT but haven't touched it for 6 months. They have deleted my characters and progress 4 times over 2 years. Each time I took a break for 3-4 months, my server was closed/merged and characters were deleted. I had a lvl 42 warrior and 7 mounts. Support team never helped me. They only offered to give me xp boosts but I told them to go fuck themselves.

GTA 5 is also really fun.