LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Elrantiri

Fallen Empire June 15th, screenshots of new CGI trailer

SWTOR_Sacrifice.jpg

10869470_10153052493883860_2130119019139

http://news.ea.com/press-release/company-news/eas-e3-2015-press-conference-be-broadcast-live-june-15-eacom

• Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ – The largest story-driven expansion to date, Knights of the Fallen Empire, marks a renewed focus on cinematic storytelling in Star Wars: The Old Republic. The expansion will deliver on the hallmarks of what makes a great BioWare™ game: new worlds to explore, new companions to recruit, and a dynamic story that players will be able to shape based on the choices they make.

This still won't fix most of the issues SWTOR has IMO, but at least they seem to be putting some effort into it (or at least bothered to pay Blur Studios for another CGI trailer). As much as story is what Bioware does best, an MMO shouldn't ignore endgame PvE+PvP as much as they're currently doing.

Edited by Elrantiri

This still won't fix most of the issues SWTOR has IMO, but at least they seem to be putting some effort into it (or at least bothered to pay Blur Studios for another CGI trailer). As much as story is what Bioware does best, an MMO shouldn't ignore endgame PvE+PvP as much as they're currently doing.

​With Bioware's history as it pertains to endgame PvE and PvP maybe it's best they do ignore it.

Much of the announcement tomorrow got leaked last night: http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/39qtry/httpwwwswtorcomfallenempire/

Addtional screenshots:

CHaLI4vWgAA-zhV.jpg

CHfUszdWsAA0MW2.jpg

Some suggest the logo on the shields is a Star Forge: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Forge

Edited by Elrantiri

From what I've been able to determine:

1. No continuation of separate class stories. Not even separate faction stories.  All characters become 'The Outlander' and will follow the same basic storyline with some minor variations depending on choices.

2. No new group content or PVP.  Apparently the focus for the rest of the year is on 'story' with some old instances being scaled up to go with the new level cap.  It sounded 'awfully' familiar.

From what I've been able to determine:

1. No continuation of separate class stories. Not even separate faction stories.  All characters become 'The Outlander' and will follow the same basic storyline with some minor variations depending on choices.

2. No new group content or PVP.  Apparently the focus for the rest of the year is on 'story' with some old instances being scaled up to go with the new level cap.  It sounded 'awfully' familiar.

​Indeed. This is then combined with a "free" expansion with preorder bonuses gated behind being subscriber on July 31st, Aug 31st, Sep 30th and Oct 19th, a period where I'd think many players wouldn't normally be subscribed due to summer and content getting very old.

People I trust to have some insider knowledge have clearly stated that the SWTOR devs are a skeleton crew. They simply don't have the manpower to focus on story and do much else at the same time. Investing in a nice CGI trailer doesn't change any of that.

I wanted to love SWTOR, I played it for about a year after release. Whilst Eternity Vault remains one of my all time favorite raids eventually sitting on the fleet queuing for end game stuff or doing dailies just got too boring and meaningless. The story stuff was great but was consumed very quickly and Bioware were never going to be able to keep up with that but they never really focused on the end game enough either.

I wanted to love SWTOR, I played it for about a year after release. Whilst Eternity Vault remains one of my all time favorite raids eventually sitting on the fleet queuing for end game stuff or doing dailies just got too boring and meaningless. The story stuff was great but was consumed very quickly and Bioware were never going to be able to keep up with that but they never really focused on the end game enough either.

​While we have mourned the downfall of the Lord of the Rings (Online), puttered around in Landmark, and awaited developments of Everquest Next, my wife and I have pondered a return to SWTOR... sounds like you don't consider that a good idea?

​While we have mourned the downfall of the Lord of the Rings (Online), puttered around in Landmark, and awaited developments of Everquest Next, my wife and I have pondered a return to SWTOR... sounds like you don't consider that a good idea?

​That depends on why you'd want to return.

The Class Storylines in SWTOR are awesome stuff. Bioware recently added 12 times XP for Class story missions as Subscriber so you can level from 1 to 55 only by doing the class story line.

The issues SWTOR got is the game engine (it's so bad at handling many players in same area), the lack of Cross Server and the lack of MMO content like PvP areas, dungeons (flashpoints) and raids (Operations) and there's zero sign of Bioware fixing any of that anytime soon. The raiding and PvP community grows thinner and thinner, so I wouldn't go back to SWTOR if you're looking for a PvP/Raiding game.

In the end it's Free to Play so downloading it and giving it a go won't cost you. If you used to be a subscriber, you can click a Referral Link (info about Referral link here) and get 7 days free subscription to test the game again and see if you want to return.

You can find referral links here; http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/3add3s/community_post_screenshot_and_referral_weekend/

Edited by Elrantiri

It's disturbing how people keep falling for trailers that are overloaded with cgi crap and show zero ingame action. Won

Wonder how much money they could have invested into their game if they had just make a normal trailer, showing some of the new areas.

It's disturbing how people keep falling for trailers that are overloaded with cgi crap and show zero ingame action. Won

Wonder how much money they could have invested into their game if they had just make a normal trailer, showing some of the new areas.

​Making a normal trailer would require SWTOR's own skeleton crew to make it rather than just sending a storyboard and a cheque in Blur's direction, and I'm fairly sure the skeleton crew is overworked already.

Some people are hyping this waaay too much. I really like the trailer (and wish Disney would just buy Blur and make them do Star Wars movies), but a CGI trailer doesn't prove the longterm funding SWTOR sorely needs. Then again, longterm funding would be better spent on a SWTOR 2.

Edited by Elrantiri

​skeleton crew skeleton crew skeleton crew

​I seriously doubt that. It has been mentioned through official sources that are prohibited from being misleading that SWTOR is incredibly profitable. Say what you will about the focus of the devs, its business model or the game's shortcomings, but it's raking in the dough on a colossal scale.

As for this new trailer - I'm pessimistic. I don't like the thought of the factions being amalgamated, and they kind of have been already through the main story, which has been one of my main bugbears about the game. This all feels rather like a soft reboot of the entire game, and I'm cautious about how achievable that is without cheesing off a big portion of your player base.

However, there has been absolutely no mention of 'no new group content.' That would mean Bioware were being Turbine-level stupid, and I firmly believe that only one developer is capable of reaching those heights. :)

Edited by Hajile

​I seriously doubt that. It has been mentioned through official sources that are prohibited from being misleading that SWTOR is incredibly profitable. Say what you will about the focus of the devs, its business model or the game's shortcomings, but it's raking in the dough on a colossal scale.

As for this new trailer - I'm pessimistic. I don't like the thought of the factions being amalgamated, and they kind of have been already through the main story, which has been one of my main bugbears about the game. This all feels rather like a soft reboot of the entire game, and I'm cautious about how achievable that is without cheesing off a big portion of your player base.

However, there has been absolutely no mention of 'no new group content.' That would mean Bioware were being Turbine-level stupid, and I firmly believe that only one developer is capable of reaching those heights. :)

​SWTOR is making a big profit, no doubt there. Still, having a profit doesn't infer you have a big development crew. We know there were official layoffs back in 2012 and there's several reviews (e.g. Glassdoor) suggesting there's been additional layoffs since then. Some of the veteran developers + managers left back in 2012, which probably didn't help either.

Additionally, a lot of the previous SWTOR staff was moved to the failed Shadow Realms project, and we don't really know what happened to the people affiliated with SR.

They are making a big profit now because they recouped all their initial capital costs at launch and consolidated servers quickly when they saw that they failed to deliver PvP wise, and to a lesser degree with endgame. Smart business decisions. Makes you wonder what LOTRO could be today if turbine made some smart business decisions in the past.

They are making a big profit now because they recouped all their initial capital costs at launch and consolidated servers quickly when they saw that they failed to deliver PvP wise, and to a lesser degree with endgame. Smart business decisions. Makes you wonder what LOTRO could be today if turbine made some smart business decisions in the past.

​That too, but just the IP in itself can carry so much of the game. I'd even go as far as to say Star Wars is a stronger gaming IP than LotR - at least now that LotR is done movie wise while Star Wars is stepping up in both movies and TV series.

Edited by Elrantiri

Personally if there was any new group content coming with the new expansion, I would have expected them to have released those details along with everything else.  Particularly given they did release the details of upscaling the old content.

Then you have the head honcho coming out and specifically stating that their focus is on story for the rest of the year (along with a throw away line of not forgetting about raiders and pvp).

But maybe their just really sucky at communicating or are scrambling to work out what they can release with the expansion.....

Edited by JRonnie

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8255305#edit8255305

Hey folks,

Lots of good questions around Operations! I am not going to go into details right now but, we have plans for Operations that we are pretty excited about. We will be releasing a blog in the coming weeks which should answer many of the questions that you have right now.

Thanks!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager

Personally if there was any new group content coming with the new expansion, I would have expected them to have released those details along with everything else.  Particularly given they did release the details of upscaling the old content.

Then you have the head honcho coming out and specifically stating that their focus is on story for the rest of the year (along with a throw away line of not forgetting about raiders and pvp).

But maybe their just really sucky at communicating or are scrambling to work out what they can release with the expansion.....

​It appears that they have already said that there WILL be new group, PVP and raid content in the new expansion, but they will talk about it later because right now they're concentrating on talking about the story content. If there's still no mention of it two months from now I'd say people should get concerned, but people are acting like a developer providing a steady drip-feed of info in order to maintain interest over an extended period isn't a thing that happens. There's a lot of "OMG they haven't mentioned it immediately, that means they're not doing it at all" sort of thinking going on.

​Just thought I'd pitch in, even if I'm a bit late.  My family and I have been having a good time all in all in SWTOR.  As said previously, it depends on what you want out of it.  The landscape content is definitely more challenging than LOTRO's, enough to keep even two people teamed together entertained.  We do heroics to keep ourselves challenged, sometimes even heroic 4+ with only two people.  If you get HK-51s, you can probably pull off some flashpoints with only two people, provided you are well-geared and cross heal a lot.  (We've pulled this off before.  Fun!)  Yes, there were class revamps, but things still manage to be fun.  But whatever you do, do NOT roll a vanguard.  They really messed them up in the class revamp.   I mean, maybe you'll like it okay, but a lot of people seem to be unhappy overall with certain skills going missing.  But unlike LOTRO, it wasn't overall a complete throw-in-the-towel-I-quit moment with the revamp.  Some classes feel mostly the same, some are a little bit better, some not so good but livable.

I wouldn't get too attached to the PvP, simply because so many people cheat so badly.  It gets kind of old.  But if you get in a good match where both sides play fair, it can be fun.  The space combat was also fun until someone figured out how to one-shot people from stealth without there actually being stealth ships in the game.  Then I quit that too out of disgust.  I mostly queue for PvP to get XP if I'm falling short.  It's nice to be able to do that, unlike in LOTRO.

Overall, despite some changes I didn't like in SWTOR, they've managed it fairly well.  Nothing has been catastrophic--at least, no more so than at launch.

Of course, if it's just you and your wife and you don't care to be super social, you might try an ARPG instead.  I've been reading reviews on Torchlight II, and I must say, that looks like a lot of fun.  I may turn to that if SWTOR ever starts going in a disagreeable direction.  That's the beauty of non-MMOs--the game company can't shove lousy content down your throat and mess up your class.

​Just thought I'd pitch in, even if I'm a bit late.  

​Thanks, Wargie.  Appreciate the feedback.

Gotta say I disagree on the Vanguard thing. Yeah they removed one of the iconic skills, but the tank spec and the burst DPS spec works extremely well and they're generally in a good place IMO. I'm not sure how the DoT DPS spec stands.

I'm 100% sure new players who weren't used to the old Vanguard skills won't be missing them either.

The rest is pretty much spot on.

Edited by Elrantiri

It appears that they have already said that there WILL be new group, PVP and raid content in the new expansion, but they will talk about it later because right now they're concentrating on talking about the story content. If there's still no mention of it two months from now I'd say people should get concerned, but people are acting like a developer providing a steady drip-feed of info in order to maintain interest over an extended period isn't a thing that happens. There's a lot of "OMG they haven't mentioned it immediately, that means they're not doing it at all" sort of thinking going on.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/operations-and-flashpoints-fallen-empire

No new raids in 2015, all current raids scaled up to lvl 65, players can enter from lvl 50 and get their stats bolstered to 65.

I only see them talking about changes to current flashpoints as well, no announcements about new flashpoints.  Bioware doing a Turbine ;)