LOTROCommunity

I guess this isn't a good place to say that I've found FF7 boring and quit playing it quite fast back in 90s?

Anyway - so far from E3 - I look forward to new Mirror's Edge and maybe Doom 4 for multiplayer, but on the other hand I am not sure if I still do have enough physical&mental strenght to play such intense "rocket jump" FPS in multiplayer.

Anyway is there some kind of nicely summation of E3 that is both tight and keep updated?

Edited by drul

Anyway is there some kind of nicely summation of E3 that is both tight and keep updated?

​Kotaku have a few articles keeping track of everything. 

If you do check them out I personally prefer the layout of Kotaku.co.uk over .com, easier to read.

The Verge has some stuff as well

http://www.theverge.com/e3-2015

Edited by Laurinaohtar

I hope they do it right, just a straight remake.  They could add a little more to the Golder Saucer, and perhaps a couple of extra optional bosses to go with Emerald and Ruby Weapon 

​Indeed, it just needs to be a straight up reskin with modern graphics, don't change any of the mechanics or story.

A few concerns though. As I recall Barret swears quite a lot, in the old text version these were censored out with **** , if this is fully voiced will they change the dialog or ?

Also the cross dressing \ gay body builder* bit near the start may seem a little non-PC for modern crowds, will that remain?

* http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Mukki

The turn based combat \ random encounters may seem slow and annoying by modern standards, I hope they don't change these too much.

Edited by Laurinaohtar

Guess we will find out more later today when Square has its keynote presentation.

I wonder if it will be a PS4 exclusive or if they will bring it to PC and XBOX1.  I would hope it would be available on PS VITA the same as the FF X remake.  Also I am hoping for a FF XII remake as well

I hope they do it right, just a straight remake.  They could add a little more to the Golder Saucer, and perhaps a couple of extra optional bosses to go with Emerald and Ruby Weapon 

​Indeed, it just needs to be a straight up reskin with modern graphics, don't change any of the mechanics or story.

10 years or so ago I would've been incredibly excited about a remake, but with Square Enix's output being rather lacklustre after FF12, I'm half excited this will be great and half worried they are going to mess this up.

Please, please, please no Genesis from FF Crisis Core. No Angeal. I thought Crisis Core's story and characters were awful and hated the retcon to FF7.

I'm kind of hoping they do tweak the story a bit. I'm not sure Cait Sith will fit with a modern remake. They meet a robot fortune teller and then let it tag along because it insists? 

Edited by Mallorn

Guess we will find out more later today when Square has its keynote presentation.

I wonder if it will be a PS4 exclusive or if they will bring it to PC and XBOX1.  I would hope it would be available on PS VITA the same as the FF X remake.  Also I am hoping for a FF XII remake as well

​Well the trailer says "play it first on PS4" so maybe it will come to other platforms later.

So apparently FF 7 is going to be remade.

There may have been other news, who the fuck cares, FF7 is being remade!

​It's funny.  One of the recommended videos, after that was over, was a rant giving reasons why FF VII would never be remade.

So it seems FF7 gameplay won't be exactly the same.

“I can’t get go into details,” Nomura said, “but this is not a simple remake. Let’s say for argument’s sake that we only pretty up the graphics for current-gen hardware, I don’t think that would surpass the original version.”

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-wont-exactly

Worrying... I hope they don't fuck this up.

Really depends on they do.  Giving more back story to the likes of Vincent would be good, even making him a part of the actual story and not an option character and do the same with Yuffie.  

Adding more optional dungeons with some new summons would be fine.  

Fixing the duplicating bug so people cant get max stats on all characters.

Making the slums larger and giving them a better feeling of being alive.  The same for the rest of the places you go to.

Really depends on they do.  Giving more back story to the likes of Vincent would be good, even making him a part of the actual story and not an option character and do the same with Yuffie.  

Adding more optional dungeons with some new summons would be fine.  

Fixing the duplicating bug so people cant get max stats on all characters.

Making the slums larger and giving them a better feeling of being alive.  The same for the rest of the places you go to.

​All that sounds great.

I don't think Crisis Core did a very good job of portraying the slums and the redesign of Mako reacters and the vastly increased technological capabilies of Shinra, felt wrong to me. I hope they do not follow those ideas in the remake.

There is talk on other sites that Square Enix may throw in a shocker. As we all know FF7 was famous for its shock moment which was, I think, a first for a video game at the time. No one expected a main character to actually be killed mid-way into the game.

I do wonder if they are going to make the FF remake a bit more Westernised in that your actions can affect the storyline. There is precedent for this as FF7 did have some basic alternative moments based on your gameplay.

Some are saying that perhaps a certain character's demise may be stopped based on your game-play and that it will result in a vastly different second half of the game. I kind of love this idea.

Fans of the original have all wondered and imagined what the game would've been like if they could save Aeris. I think it would be very warmly received if in the remake she could potentially be saved based on your previous actions and they kept this secret. It would be a shock moment almost as effective as the original to fans.

I'm very worried Tetsuya Nomura is working on this, but feel better that he is not writing the game. His writing for Kingdom Hearts is a convoluted mess.

I'm optimistic about the gameplay changes. I'm not sure that I want a complete rehash of the materia and active time battle system from the original.

The original game is playable on PC, PS3, PS4 and coming to IOS in the summer. It is there for any who want to play it again, so I have no problem with them having a more modern battle system.

I'd like Yuffie to have a better introduction. And as I said in my previous post, I really think Cait Cith will need changing, if not culling from the story. I just don't think a fortune-telling sentient robot will be acceptable to modern day gamers. There were no robots of that type in the game world other than military units that were not sentient. I know he was being remote controlled, but Cloud and co did not know this when they met him; they just let him come along because he insisted and did not think it in the least suspicious or strange.

I think Square Enix are incredibly brave. FF7 remake could potentially bring the company to ruin. I don't think many fans would ever forgive them or buy any of their games ever again if they mess this remake up.

Edited by Mallorn

I think if Aeris were to survive it would be a mistake, it's a key part of the story and shouldn't change.

That being said, climbing 10 flights of stairs to get to somewhere is just tedious, random encounters on the world map do get a bit boring after a while, some of the characters do need fleshing out, so yeah there are improvements to be made.

Edited by Laurinaohtar

What if for the cross dressing part you end up turning Cloud into other characters from other FF games, like Lightning or Garnet/dagger depending on what items you collect.

​I'm not sure sure if I'd like that. But I wouldn't put that past them.

I am concerned that Square Enix has no one with the capabilities to make this remake better than the original. Generally post FFX, their game's stories have been awful and their gameplay and systems divisive with the fans.  I really don't think it is going to take much to mess this up. Even poor voice actors could completely wipe out the tone, and I don't know if Square will be able to stop themselves from going full on Japanese over-the-top cutesy with certain character designs and voices.

I would've really prefered Eidos to have been involved in this to temper Japanese excess and perhaps a decent Western writer to work on improving the story with just slight tweaks and elaborations here and there to make it fit in with a more modern gamer.

As for the combat in this, I wouldn't mind if it was actually actioned based. And I would not be bothered if they removed magic abilities from all characters expect Cloud and Aeris. Would Shrina, the producer of Mako really allow it to be put into the hands of normal people? I don't think they would. That was always something that I thought was silly with FF7.

Edited by Mallorn

I worry about the feel of the game changing. FF7 has it's story and it's moving and more serious moments but it's also quite a goofy game with stupid jokes and silly music. It doesn't try to be cool or edgy or take itself too seriously. I find it difficult to fit that world into the trailer that we were shown.

I worry about the feel of the game changing. FF7 has it's story and it's moving and more serious moments but it's also quite a goofy game with stupid jokes and silly music. It doesn't try to be cool or edgy or take itself too seriously. I find it difficult to fit that world into the trailer that we were shown.

​The story is somewhat relevant today.  You could look at Shinra as a large oil company and the lifestream they  are using to power everything as oil.  They are using fossil fuels and killing the planet

​I agree. I think it will still have those silly moments as a bit of light relief. I'm actually more worried that they will go all - not sure of the Japanese term - but over the top Japanese cutesy with those moments and couple them with annoying, childish voice acting like they did with Vanille in 13. Eugh! . I'd rather a super serious tone throughout than that.

I haven't played 13, after seeing a lot of bad reviews I didn't bother, so I had to look up Vanille on YouTube. Yeah I see what you mean, I hope Tiffa, Yuffie or Aeris don't end up like that.

Final Fantasy 14 has a load of extreme costumes, overly dramatic character animation when speaking, and squawky voice acting like Vanille too, so that's why I'm worried about what they will do to 7.

They haven't done anything with a gritty, dark tone in years apart from Type 0. I wonder if they have anyone working there capable of not doing melodrama and.cloying cuteness. When they do light-hearted, it is usually very extreme.

I imagine we will get the same voice actors from Advent Children hopefully for the main cast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...