LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Koolio

What do you make of the GW2 expansion controversy?

The best I can make out is existing players will have to buy the expansion if they want it, but those who purchase it get the base original game with it, plus I believe if they pre-order they get a character slot or something. Not sure how the tiers and timing work.

Lots of butt hurt over this and I am failing to see it. People seem to want to speak for me and tell me I am getting ripped off, but I have already reaped the rewards of playing since launch. I've gotten so many of the scarlet rewards that may never return, the whole living story for free, over 2 years of playing, and while I will not pre-order anything and doubt I will ever be motivated to pay the initial price, I still may get the expansion.

The only real gripe I can understand are those new players who recently bought the discounted original and have now found out that they could have waited (until August?) and gotten both at an overall discount. Sort of.

There was for several months a poorly worded entry in the FAQ for the expansion that confused a lot of customers. http://web.archive.org/web/20150401200009/https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/105801626-Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-FAQ

April 2015:

Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand-alone campaign, and therefore it requires the base game to play.

June 2015:

Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes, but Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns includes the Guild Wars 2 core game.

To its credit, ArenaNet is offering no-questions-asked refunds to any customer who purchased the base game at any point since April. (They usually do this anyway for 30 days, which is pretty responsible in itself.)

Edited by Fredelas

Seems a bit strange to me that there is no option to just buy the expansion.  Or for the same price you get the expansion and 1 character slot.  This way both new players and current players get a good deal

Seems a bit strange to me that there is no option to just buy the expansion.  Or for the same price you get the expansion and 1 character slot.  This way both new players and current players get a good deal

​It's just a way to charge everyone more.

I am wondering how good playing GW2 will be if you don't buy the expansion. Will low level PvP and dungeons be dead?

​It's just a way to charge everyone more.

I am wondering how good playing GW2 will be if you don't buy the expansion. Will low level PvP and dungeons be dead?

​Like most pre-purchase opportunities, it's not clear to anyone exactly which features will require the expansion purchase and which will be available to everyone. There's not even a release date. The pre-purchase bonuses seem incredibly weak to me.

​They could always just give owners (oops, I mean licencors) of the base game (oops, I mean the online service) an extra $10 in gems, since that's the going rate for the game recently when it's been on sale.

Looks like Anet's addressing the outrage:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/

This was pretty much a given, after the outcry. I've already got an extra character slot which is currently occupied by a lowbie guardian meant for helping newbies, but I'll gladly take another.

:P

So it was much ado about nothing really?

I'm happy enough with their model. I'm pretty damn casual these days anyhow. I have farmers that I will log through and make a couple gold. I play the mini-ebay game now. Kind of got bored. Still think it is a great MMO but these days my gaming is traditional 4X where I can leave it for several hours with no notice and no guilt of abandoning a team.