LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
mtones

Action, Set, ESO! - Take Three

Well, nigh one entire year later from the originally BS fest at QuakeCon, Zenimax is finally getting around to releasing an actual expansion (if that is what we can properly call it) to the game, via the release of the long awaited Imperial City.  

Between Paul Sage finally getting the hell out and the release of the full API, this is good news.  At present I have now got vet14s on both NA and EU servers, so having some new incentives to play will be nice...

Some highlights:

The DLC will be released on the 31st of August for PC, and on the 15st/16st September for XBox and PS4 respectively. It will cost 2500 crowns.

Imperial City DLC Game Pack Features & Content

With the purchase of the Imperial City DLC game pack, you get access to the full Imperial City zone. That includes the following:

• All content is available to players that are level 10 and up
  • A brand new PvP/PvE space, including the six Imperial City Districts
  • New quests and key characters within the Imperial City
  • One new Imperial City PvP Public Dungeon: The Imperial Sewers
  • Two new PvE Imperial City group dungeons with Normal and Veteran versions: White-Gold Tower and Imperial City Prison
  • The Tel Var Stone system
  • 23 completely new Veteran Rank 16 item sets, only available in Imperial City
  • Treasure Vaults that contain new Veteran Rank 16 set jewelry and a chance for even rarer finds
  • Xivkyn racial motif style
  • New collectibles only available in Imperial City (pets, polymorphs, and a costume)

Imperial City Base-Game Patch

Along with the Imperial City DLC game pack launch, everyone who owns <i>The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited</i> will receive the base-game patch at no cost. The base-game Imperial City patch includes hundreds of fixes and improvements to existing game systems and content including combat, classes and skill lines, the Alliance War, dungeons, and quests. Here are a few of the highlights:

• 15% decrease in the amount of XP it takes to gain a Veteran Rank
  • 100% more XP for all public dungeons
  • 50% more XP for all Veteran Rank quests
  • 20% more XP in Craglorn
  • Veteran Rank increased to 16
  • Racial Passive improvements
  • Mundus Stone buff improvements
  • Glass racial motif style
  • Improvements to existing item sets
  • The ability to hide mount visual upgrades
  • New crafting skill line passives
  • New Undaunted pledges
  • Tons of combat and gameplay balance changes
  • Improved end-of-campaign Alliance War rewards

Full details and video here:

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/2015/07/15/imperial-city-launch-details

Info was in the link:

Price

The full Imperial City DLC game pack is included with an active ESO Plus membership. If you are not an ESO Plus member, or your membership lapses, the Imperial City DLC game pack costs 2,500 crowns in the ESOTU Crown Store.

I'm so disappointed that the VR ranks are not only not removed but that they actually add two new VR ranks... And still they say that their long term goal is to remove the VR ranks... So this will be the third level cap raise since launch, in a game that already from the start had a horrible grind to get to cap...

Other than that, will be cool to check it out, but I am guessing that it will be VR16 stuff, so I will see it in a year perhaps (or earlier if they actually do remove the VR ranks?)

I have not played TESO apart of Beta (kinda burned out on MMOs in general), but I don't think they will resign from grind.   If they will remove those VR ranks you speak of they will just replace it with some other grind.   That is how MMOs concept work generally.  

Well, I don't mind there being a grind. And normally, a MMO has one of the following: Level grind / Character stat grind / Gear grind. The problem is that ESO has all three. First you have to grind level 1-50, then the horrible grind VR1-14 (soon to be 16). On top of that, there's now the Champion point grind. And then ofcourse the grind to get good gear. It's just too much all at once.

The removal of VR ranks would atleast reduce it to the Champion Point + Gear grind, which would be more manageble (but still quite a grind).

The fact that they have raised the level cap so many times in the 1 year and 3 months the game has been out is also really annoying. The WoW/Lotro way with ~10 levels/year is something I quite like. The VR ranks being ~10x a normal level means that they have raised the levelcap with ~60 levels in 16 months. 

What I have meant is I don't think they will reduce overall amount of grind. 

You seem to assume that if they would remove VR then they would not increase Champion Point and/or Gear grind to compensate amount thus reducing overall grind.

In my opinion that is not likely, usually MMOs does not reduce overall amount of grind to max out a character when they modify end-game grind systems.

Edited by drul

You seem to assume that if they would remove VR then they would not increase Champion Point and/or Gear grind to compensate amount thus reducing overall grind.

Yeah, I actually would (and I could be wrong about it ofc). The Champion System was created to replace the VR ranks. To have a character progression without the levels, so yeah, I would expect the removal of the VR ranks to be just that, and not the introduction of another grind on top.

Yeah, I actually would (and I could be wrong about it ofc). The Champion System was created to replace the VR ranks. To have a character progression without the levels, so yeah, I would expect the removal of the VR ranks to be just that, and not the introduction of another grind on top.

Question is whether Chamption system it was created to replace VR ranks (then why did it not replace it?) or whether Bethesda/Zenimax and/or players  just said/assumed so?

I remember general view that Turbine did redesign LI system (back when F2P came) in order to lessen the grind, kinda have not turned out that way eh?

Generally MMOs tend to get more and more grinds as game progresses.  Even if in one area grind is lessened then in other area(s) it is increased.  Designing more actual content and less grind systems in which players repeat same action over and over in order to increase some number is completly counter productive to all current MMO business models.   

Only business model in which designing more content and less grind would be desired is an business model in which ONLY way to make money is to sell new content without any ability to make money other way.

Question is whether Chamption system it was created to replace VR ranks (then why did it not replace it?) or whether Bethesda/Zenimax and/or players  just said/assumed so?

They said from the start that the Champion System would replace the VR ranks. They also said that they would roll out the Champion System before the VR removal.

I think it was the latest episode of ESO Live, they said that the VR removal was still "a long term goal".

So yeah, they could wait 10 years to remove it... I just don't see what the big deal is, just get rid of them... 

EDIT: This would't bother me so much if it wasn't for the fact that the main endgame in ESO is the PvP, and all these systems make it extremely hard for the majority to be on the same level. If you go out in Cyrodiil at VR5, or even VR10, you will be completely destroyed by VR14's

Edited by vr00mie

I stopped worrying about the VR grind and I don't really consider champion points a grind since 1 toon pays for all and you get CP while grinding VR.

I have 1600 crowns so I'll purchase the rest for the DLC.

They said from the start that the Champion System would replace the VR ranks. They also said that they would roll out the Champion System before the VR removal.

I think it was the latest episode of ESO Live, they said that the VR removal was still "a long term goal".

So yeah, they could wait 10 years to remove it... I just don't see what the big deal is, just get rid of them... 

One could justifyably suspect that they don't just wanna remove VR without either increase of other grinds or replacing it with brand new system, because well just like you said why otherwise they would simply not remove it?

EDIT: This would't bother me so much if it wasn't for the fact that the main endgame in ESO is the PvP, and all these systems make it extremely hard for the majority to be on the same level. If you go out in Cyrodiil at VR5, or even VR10, you will be completely destroyed by VR14's

That is the whole point of MMO PVP - to people NOT to be on the same power level and those that can gather more power (either via gear or levels or stats or $$$ or something else) can more easily kill those that did not gahter as much numerical power.  One of the reasons I don't play MMOs anymore.

One could justifyably suspect that they don't just wanna remove VR without either increase of other grinds or replacing it with brand new system, because well just like you said why otherwise they would simply not remove it?

That is the whole point of MMO PVP - to people NOT to be on the same power level and those that can gather more power (either via gear or levels or stats or $$$ or something else) can more easily kill those that did not gahter as much numerical power.  One of the reasons I don't play MMOs anymore.

While that is true, you can't end up with a too unbalanced PvP. I mean, in a game like Lotro, where PvP is just a side-thing, it's obvious that they don't really care. But in ESO it's the primary endgame. Of course someone that puts more work in to their character should be stronger in a MMO, but the difference is just too huge as it is right now.

You know what pisses me off about this game? Every fucking time they do an update, which means weekly, it takes forever to log in, constant crashes. This has happened since beta and multiple installations.

A couple links with more info which is best seen than read about are below; last ESO live on 7/17 gives onfo on IC and footage which is decent.  Starts at about minute 58 (anythhing before that is usual fluff/crap stuff...)

Other link is to the QuakeCon presentation, which was underwhelming to say the least about it, but does give some decent info on the new gear systems for the game, starts at minute 18

http://www.twitch.tv/bethesda/v/8441837

Mostly, the cool thing about IC is that it will give people the opportunity to actually play something completley different than what they have seen so far in the game.  At least they will if they bother to actually engage in the storyline and risk some PvP around the city.  Zerging has never been my idea of PvP so having it scale this small will be refreshing, and the rewards are way better... well potentially anyway.  The MASSIVE volume of screaming from people on OF about the TV stone loss percentage on death to another player (currently at 100%) is likely going to bring it down to something like the 10% you lose on death to mobs, if not kill it off altogether.  I am hoping they keep it to at least 75%... play starts on PTS next week so I am going to be cheking it out before deciding to buy.

As for VR system removal, Firor talked about it VERY briefly at the end of the QuakeCon presentation stating again how they do plan to remove it, but since it is tied to everything in the game it is not something they can do easily.  Duh!  Anyway, he indicated sometime next year... not holding my breath.  As for the level increase, it is really nothing.  They have so lowered the amount of XP needed for veteran ranks, and are doing so AGAIN, that you can easily get from v14 to v16 in a day or two (talking roughly 15-20 hrs of playtime most likely) as people already did that from v12 to v14.  Annoying, maybe.  Needed? Totally not.  Can't say it is a surprise though. 

As for the level increase, it is really nothing.  They have so lowered the amount of XP needed for veteran ranks, and are doing so AGAIN, that you can easily get from v14 to v16 in a day or two (talking roughly 15-20 hrs of playtime most likely) as people already did that from v12 to v14.  Annoying, maybe.  Needed? Totally not.  Can't say it is a surprise though. 

Yeah, but the real timesink isn't the two additional levels. How many times/year should all my gear be completely outdated?

Yeah, but the real timesink isn't the two additional levels. How many times/year should all my gear be completely outdated?

Well that's just it; v12 sets aren't outdated at the moment. There are plenty of people that run them in gold with some v14s sets combos and they work far better than all v14.   Due to the complete lack of proper itemization in the game right now, having the option to finally get all sets scaled, plus new ones in IC will be nice.  Even if people opt out of the DLC, you will at least now be able to get v16 sets in undaunteds at the very least.  I take that part as a positive considering gear has been in much need of an overhaul for quite a while.