LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
androclese

Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (a game which I have a lifetime sub for and pop on every now and again) has just had some great new changes and a few pretty useful adjustments. I'm looking forward to the Armada system, it will be a great boon to my teeny tiny 6 man fleet, and because it seems to reward larger fleets for having smaller fleets join them I don't think there will be any shortage of Armadas to join :D

Star Trek Online: Release Notes: July 16th, 2015

Fleet Armada:

• Fleets will be able to join together to form an Armada to share resources and earn passive bonuses.
  • The top level fleet will be called the Alpha Fleet which can invite up to 3 other fleets which will be called Beta Fleets.
  • The Beta Fleets can also invite up to 3 fleets each which will be called Gamma Fleets.
  • This allows up to 13 fleets to join together to form an Armada.
  • Fleets in an Armada will receive bonus rewards which include Dilithium Discounts and Skill Point bonuses.
    • These rewards are determined by the Fleet's rank in the Armada and the combined Fleet Levels of all Fleets within the Armada.
  • Fleet Levels have been recalculated for all Fleets.
    • Their Level will now match the total number of Holding Tiers they have completed from all of their Holdings.
  • For more details, please visit the Fleet Armada blog at: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9436793-star-trek-online%3A-fleet-armadas

Fleet Research Lab:

• This is a new Fleet Holding where fleets will be able to build their very own Space Station Research Lab using Krenim technology.
  • This facility will offer many opportunities for captains to explore and participate in the existing R&D system in new and rewarding ways for equipping your ship and crew.
  • The Fleet Research Lab will also feature many unlockable projects to visually improve its exterior and interior.
  • Among many other rewards, the Fleet Research Lab will grant access to additional Reputation Trait Slot and Starship Trait Slot unlocks.
  • Starting upon reaching Tier I of the Fleet Research Lab, Fleets may slot new Weekly Fleet-Wide Buff Projects in the Research Lab’s Upgrade project slot.
    • These projects share a timer, and may only be completed once every 5 days.
    • Only one Weekly Buff may be active at any point in time, each lasting 5 days and applying to all members of the Fleet.
    • Fleet leadership may choose from 3 different types of Weekly Buffs:
      • Dilithium Ore Bonus
      • Skillpoint Bonus
      • Combat Performance Boost
    • The effectiveness of each Buff will increase as the Tier of the Research Lab Facility increases.
  • For more details, please visit the Fleet Research Lab blog at: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9424713-star-trek-online%3A-delta-fleet-holding

New Advanced Queue Revamp:

• Advanced queues have been updated to better reward players and address issues with optional objectives blocking player progress in Advanced queues.
  • Advanced queues no longer fail due to not completing required objectives which were optional objectives on Normal.
    • These objectives are still tied to additional rewards.
  • All Normal and Advanced queues now reward the same amount of marks for finishing the mission without completing any optional objectives.
    • In order to make Advanced more rewarding than Normal, completing Optional Objectives is where players will earn larger rewards than compared to Normal queues.
  • Optional objectives are now the same in Normal and Advanced modes.
    • Some queues had different optional objectives between the two versions.
  • No changes have been made to Elite queues.
  • For more details, please visit the Advanced Queue Revamp Blog at: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9358023-star-trek-online%3A-adv.-queue-changes

I have a lifetime sub to STO aswell, and checks in about once a year to spend the store cash on cool ships. But when I log in, I just feel that STO has become so big and complicated. So many different systems and currencies. For someone that doesn't play actively, it's really hard to keep up (that's why I usually only check in once a year, I get overwhelmed by all the stuff)

The Armada thing sounds cool tho, A guild of guilds. But yet another system in place :D

Star Trek Online (a game which I have a lifetime sub for and pop on every now and again) has just had some great new changes and a few pretty useful adjustments. I'm looking forward to the Armada system, it will be a great boon to my teeny tiny 6 man fleet, and because it seems to reward larger fleets for having smaller fleets join them I don't think there will be any shortage of Armadas to join :D

Perhaps it will help my 1 man fleet, which basically has nothing since it is so expensive.

Also Perfect World is release a new chapter every 6 weeks or so.  While it may only be the one quest it is adding to the story and keeping me coming back.  Also for the first few weeks each chapter has some extra rewards for the first play through that week that wont be there for ever.

So many different systems and currencies.

At least you don't have to buy a special "wallet" in that game to store your currencies.

I have a lifetime sub to STO aswell, and checks in about once a year to spend the store cash on cool ships. But when I log in, I just feel that STO has become so big and complicated. So many different systems and currencies. For someone that doesn't play actively, it's really hard to keep up (that's why I usually only check in once a year, I get overwhelmed by all the stuff)

The Armada thing sounds cool tho, A guild of guilds. But yet another system in place :D

Yes it can be a bit confusing, there is a lot of different things to do, but you don't have to do them all, that's the great thing about it there's so much I haven't done in the game yet my ship and its setup is still very effective in high end pve, it's one of the things I love about the game, the fact that you're not forced to do everything to be competitive. That plus you can save up dilithium and use the exchange to trade it for zen which you can buy what you want fromt he cash store so you don't need to spend money.

As to currencies, yeah there's a lot, but there's a lot of them that you don't need to think much about, you have your EC (general trading currency player to player), Dilithium (special currency, can be traded for store credit or used to purchase high end stuff), Zen (STO's version of Turbine points, they're your main currencies. 

Reputation Marks, one for each reputation, you only need to worry about these if you want to buy something from a specific reputation.

Fleet Marks; these are used in fleet projects for building your fleet holdings (starbase, dil mine, embassy etc), they only exists to donate so you don't have to worry too much about them.

Fleet credits: these are awarded for donating fleet marks, dilithiium, crafting resources, duty officers or provisions to fleet holdings. They're used for purchasing from the fleet store.

Event currency (favours): used for buying items from the event store when events are running, they have summer, winter, easter events, most of the stuff in the event store is fluff like surf boards, pet parrots and bikinis you can only equip on Risa, so you don't worry about this one so much unless you like that kind of thing.

Event Vouchers: This is a special currency you get for completing a repeatable mission during events, you get 40 for each run and you can trade them for a special event ship account unlock, this year was a Ferengi Nandi Warship which is awesome and has a full array of bank, mail and exchange, as well as a dabo tailor and a special duty officer trade mission npc in its interior.

Then the last one (I think that's all of them) is Lobi, this is a currency you only get by opening lock boxes, every box gives you a few of them as well as the "prize" and you can buy all sorts of ships, bridge officers, gear and fluff items with them.

That's 14 total, of which you only need to really keep track of two unless you are after something specific.

At least you don't have to buy a special "wallet" in that game to store your currencies.

Here here.

When I first heard lotro was charging for that I face palmed so hard lol

Perhaps it will help my 1 man fleet, which basically has nothing since it is so expensive.

Also Perfect World is release a new chapter every 6 weeks or so.  While it may only be the one quest it is adding to the story and keeping me coming back.  Also for the first few weeks each chapter has some extra rewards for the first play through that week that wont be there for ever.

Yup every 6 weeks or so they release a new episode which for the first weeks has extra rewards and can be played by anyone over level 10 (all rewards are free to upgrade up to MKXII as you outgrow them too), then they come off the featured episode list, converted to level 60 and tacked on the end of the episodes with a normal episode reward.

Yeah if you can get yourself into an armada it should certainly help you, especially if it's fleet marks you need, there's people with thousands of fleet marks out there who want to donate them for fleet credits and can't because the fleet marks slots get filled almost instantly in bigger fleets. The armada system is designed to help smaller fleets complete holdings by allowing anyone in the armada to donate to your holding.

When I first heard lotro was charging for that I face palmed so hard lol

Yep.  To this day, I still haven't bought it, out of spite for the blatant monetisation.

Yeah if you can get yourself into an armada it should certainly help you, especially if it's fleet marks you need, there's people with thousands of fleet marks out there who want to donate them for fleet credits and can't because the fleet marks slots get filled almost instantly in bigger fleets. The armada system is designed to help smaller fleets complete holdings by allowing anyone in the armada to donate to your holding.

It is dilithium that is the big problem.  My fleet is new so not got anything up and running.  I an not too bothered about getting everything to max level, as I know that is not going to happen, but some of the best items, mainly consoles, are fleet item.  I need to get some of the commodities that you get from doing fleet missions that are tier 1.  Once I get them, I can get an invite onto another fleet to use their store and buy what I need.  

It is dilithium that is the big problem.  My fleet is new so not got anything up and running.  I an not too bothered about getting everything to max level, as I know that is not going to happen, but some of the best items, mainly consoles, are fleet item.  I need to get some of the commodities that you get from doing fleet missions that are tier 1.  Once I get them, I can get an invite onto another fleet to use their store and buy what I need.  

Dilithium is pretty easy to get if you work for it, I make around 3k+ per character per night (I have 19 characters lol), what gets me that is Doff'ing and Contraband.

I have characters that are KFD who I use solely to do duty missions to gain contraband (each night I fly them around each sector and pick up ay disable, destroy, bombard, raid marauder doff missions), I usually rake in +20 contraband on each of them. Using that I get every character I have to do the turn in contraband missions from security officers to get 2k dilithium per 5 contraband and then just let them use all their duty slots on random duty missions.

There's also two dilithium mining missions a normal one which everyone can do and a fleet mine mission you need a tier 2 dilithium mine for this one, these give up to 1k dilithium each for a few minutes playing mini games.

There are also other duty missions you can get from you fleet dilithium mine which reward more than normal amounts of dilithium.

Doing this and with whatever I gain from my main playtime I can easily bring in 50k to 70k dilithium per night.

A little tip when building your holdings, start with the dilithium mine first, once you get that to tier 3 you get quite a big discount on the amount of dilithium and other resources needed for all other holding projects, it might at first feel like you're throwing resources at the dilithium mines for nothing, but when you get those discounts going on high tier projects you'll be happy you did, it makes a huge difference.

Oh and if you want to spend a little time farming dilithium, this weekend is a dilithium weekend event ...

• Vlugta Asteroid Field:
    • 100% Bonus Dilithium Ore for Daily Mining Missions
    • 100% Bonus to all Rich Dilithium Claims
  • Fleet Dilithium Mine:
    • 100% Bonus Dilithium Ore for Daily Mining Missions
  • Everywhere else in the game
    • 50% Bonus Dilithium Ore
Edited by androclese

I have been spending all my dilithium on levelling up my ship equipment.  Also only having a handful of characters slows things down.  

All I am really after is getting the embassy plasma consoles, the tactical vulnerability locater consoles and perhaps the fleet warp drive.  It will take me a while before I can get any of this so that I can upgrade my ship.  My ship is not to bad just now, doing around 18K dps, but getting it up to over 30K is my long term goal.

edit: Got my DPS to 21K tonight :)

Edited by cossieuk