LOTROCommunity

I hate iTunes

Spidey

Free alternatives to iTunes

You can't copy paste but you can drag and drop through software.

Mediamonkey and Songbird are good.

I found that same website, I chose CopyTrans Manager and it did the trick.

I literally spent hours trying to use iTunes only to have the sync fail over and over. I just don't understand how such a popular device can have such horrendous software. I consider myself tech savvy, I've only been working with electronics all my life.

I still prefer the Sansa, but the screen is so small my old eyes have trouble reading the screen.

Edited by Spidey

I literally spent hours trying to use iTunes only to have the sync fail over and over. I just don't understand how such a popular device can have such horrendous software. I consider myself tech savvy, I've only been working with electronics all my life.

That is not fault as design, that is the design Apple specifically wanted.  Of course Apple could allow user to just open iPod as a ordiary Windows catalogue and just copy/paste everything with mouse click or Crtl+C/Crtl+V and/or make equivalent in software. 

Apple simply have chosent that they do not want to user to have such possibility.  Apple devices are made specifically in a way so user has little freedom and has to use it specifically as Apple ecosystem wants it to.  That is not really some kind of news as well.  

Edited by drul

That is not fault as design, that is the design Apple specifically wanted.  Of course Apple could allow user to just open iPod as a ordiary Windows catalogue and just copy/paste everything with mouse click or Crtl+C/Crtl+V and/or make equivalent in software. 

Apple simply have chosent that they do not want to user to have such possibility.  Apple devices are made specifically in a way so user has little freedom and has to use it specifically as Apple ecosystem wants it to.  That is not really some kind of news as well.  

I agree and assumed as much, it's kind of telling when you don't get a user manual. It's why I've never been a fan of Apple products and never bought into the hype. The iPod was a gift from my son years ago. I bought him the Sansa MP3 player because of ease of use and it's virtually indestructible, he's hard on iPod's and MP3 players have no moving parts.

I've been using Rhapsody for streaming/downloads for years. At $14.99 USD per month, I'm able to download all the music I want for virtually the price of a CD a month.

I was excited about the new Apple Music service, which is supposedly the equivalent of Rhapsody. Apple is sort of the king of digital music these days, and practically everyone has a deal with them to sell music. For $15 a month, I thought it'd be worth it, so I sign up (there's a 3 month free trial).

The first thing I was presented with was an irritating "taste preference" interface...all these ridiculous bubbles of genres that you click on to select - once to like, twice to love. The genres were fairly broad, but I selected my choices anyway. Click next, and I was presented with even more bubbles of artists in each genre. There were few bubbles for artists I like, just very popular artists in the genre. Now,my "for you" page is littered with classic rock and country music - because I *had* to choose something. Now I can't figure out how to further customize my taste preferences, so the artists I'm getting are not necessarily the ones I like or listen to frequently. 

Next I turned to My Library to see if there was a way to hook it into the store / preferences. Turns out for that to work, you have to purchase the iTunes Match/iCloud service for another $25 USD/year. While that cost isn't terrible, I don't like to have to piecemeal my services

Finally, I turned my attention to the download/streaming process. That was even more of a nightmare. The helps and guides did nothing, because the options and button they reference simply don't exist (I have the latest version for PC, as far as I can tell). I *finally* found the "More" option on an artist (someone I've never heard of), but adding the artist to my library seemed to do nothing.

So, more research. Turns out that the service works with the iCloud. When you "add to library", the track is added to the database in your library. You have to go to the My Music section of iTunes and actually download it - a very clunky mechanism (Rhapsody allows me to download directly from their "store", & items I download automatically go in my library. No fuss, no muss).

I finally cancelled the service - the only thing I'm gaining by using Apple music is the greater number of artists whose music is available through the store. But that's not worth dealing with the clunky interface.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's funny but itunes was not always this terrible. I have version 9 still on all my machines ( I saved the install file) .  Everytime they ask me to upgrade I click the gfy option.  My ipod is over 10 years old so it's still compatible.  My mother has the newest version on her machine.  Seriously having to google around to find the options that came standard with version 9 is annoying.  How am I suppose to know cntrl S brings up the sidebar without googling?  For a company that prides themselves on easy to use operating systems, they sure keep fucking this up.   Then it's like 6 clicks to play a simple movie. 

Something that still seems to plague both versions is duplicates.  I do not need 6 listings for every song on my Pink Floyd collection.  6 another bricks in the wall 6 gnomes 6 Pigs.  Not sure what causes this but enough already. There is only 1 copy on my storage drive.