LOTROCommunity
Stickeez

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

You beat me to it, Stickeez.

"We are finally ready to reveal the details on the new World Transfer process,..."  Minus the list of worlds we're going to close. You don't get that info until next week because...reasons. Man, they have that coyness thing down to a science. :F

You beat me to it, Stickeez.

"We are finally ready to reveal the details on the new World Transfer process,..."  Minus the list of worlds we're going to close. You don't get that info until next week because...reasons. Man, they have that coyness thing down to a science. :F

How many US servers are there? I doubt the EU servers will survive.

WOW 19 servers getting the axe. Says allot about LOTRO's declining population.

I think Gladden will be sparred & maybe Crickhollow.

I am sure Gilrain will be going.

How many US servers are there? I doubt the EU servers will survive.

They are keeping 5 EU servers.  My guess is 2 German, 2 English and 1 French

The one to watch will be the number of DE (German language) servers staying up. If there's more than 1 then that leaves just two for English EU - and one from either Evernight, Snowborn or Laurelin closing - and none of those three would I consider to be low population.

The one to watch will be the number of DE (German language) servers staying up. If there's more than 1 then that leaves just two for English EU - and one from either Evernight, Snowborn or Laurelin closing - and none of those three would I consider to be low population.

Closing Laurelin would cause a massive stink as it is a RP server.  The same goes for Belegaer the German RP server.

Never mind just seen this post from Vyvyanne

5 US and 5 EU is correct. In our selection we will have one RP per region (EU

So 1 RP server for all English, German and French players, that is going to go down well.

So Evernight, Snowbourn, RP server (which ever one they keep), Sirannon(Fr) and Gwaihir(DE) would be my guess

Edited by cossieuk

Closing Laurelin would cause a massive stink as it is a RP server.  The same goes for Belegaer the German RP server.

I'm not so sure that the RP servers are sacrosanct. Looking at the Fr and DE servers, at the very least the RP ones are going to have their communities impacted by a transfers who don't rp - so I'm not sure how the rp rules on those servers such as naming conventions will continue to stand up. Looking into my crystal ball I foresee a lot of drama unfolding on the OF as more and more start to realise the size of the reduction.

Edited by Bango

i can't see snowbourn shutting down, it's too populated.

however, i was shocked to see that 19 servers are shutting down, so at this point, who knows.

Only keeping 5 US and 5 UK servers. Stupid Turbine.  No way this will go smoothly.  *kissing my in-game stuff goodbye* :N

Edit: Sorry Doro, I'm not sure how many US servers there are at the moment. 

Edited by Tinker

I think it's interesting that the first thing they're doing is providing free transfers between the 10 worlds (5 US and 5 EU) that are going to be staying open.

After they see how that sorts out, then they'll start letting closing worlds start transferring off, one or two worlds at a time.

That's really surprising to me, 

The policy on name clashes is going to be a fun "arguing point". Decisions on duplicates will go in favour of incoming accounts, if the existing account on the destination server has been inactive for a year (+).

Edited by Moderate Peril

The policy on name clashes is going to be an fun "arguing point". Decisions on duplicates will go in favour of incoming accounts, if the existing account on the destination server has been inactive for a year (+).

i think that is quite fair to be honest.  

Here's the answer I'd waited for, and it's a stupid one.  Essentially, any puchased slots on the "impacted servers" will be lost ... but you can re-buy them, because Turbine is a bunch of upstanding individuals.

Q. What if I have all my character slots filled?

A. We have doubled the amount of max character slots you can purchase

This is a tricky situation for them. People are gonna be pissed no matter how this is done. But if they actually manage to pull it off the way described (wonder what the actual chances of that happening is...) it will probably be as smooth as it can get.

Cutting it down to 10 servers total - absolutely the right move, if the server hardware and software can actually support that amount of players without completely giving up.

Sure is gonna be fun watching this process :D

Cutting it down to 10 servers total - absolutely the right move, if the server hardware and software can actually support that amount of players without completely giving up.

That is a big 'if'. We've had so much lag since the last update, it's extremely difficult to play well, even on a medium population server like Imladris. I cannot imagine the lag once you jam all those players together on only 5 US servers. This is going to be a clusterfuck to end all Turbine clusterfucks. 

The policy on name clashes is going to be a fun "arguing point". Decisions on duplicates will go in favour of incoming accounts, if the existing account on the destination server has been inactive for a year (+).

I think that's a fair policy - anyone inactive for a year ensures that people who want to retain their names get to keep them. It also means (and yes I am being mischievous here) those people rolling alts on other servers to camp & names are going to be able to keep them - which is going to result in even more drama when x/y/z player demands why a lvl 7 alt already has their name!!

However, all Turbine had to do was do the job properly and put in place either:

- Merge servers virtually & make use of the char_name@server_name as we have with WoW, or

- Allow the use of surnames for chars.

But of course Turbine just have to do it on the cheap. Still, looking forward to all the rage & QQ but the (soon to be ex) lotro forum elite!!

Here's the answer I'd waited for, and it's a stupid one.  Essentially, any puchased slots on the "impacted servers" will be lost ... but you can re-buy them, because Turbine is a bunch of upstanding individuals.

I think you misinterpreted that. 

5 US and 5 EU is correct. In our selection we will have one RP per region (EU & US) and one world per language (DE, FR and ENG)

So it look's like Landroval and Laurelin are safe. They always were.

Anyone want to predict which servers will live?

I'm on Gilrain so that will definitely be going under the Bus :)

damn, now I have to go log into all my alts so they can keep their names....

Putting all players on 10 servers they must have high expectations for the new hardware/software, because if it can't handle the loads at least to the degree it does now....

I've got to do the same thing, Spiteful.  

And damn, getting all the kinhouses/personal houses set up again is going to be a PITA.  

damn, now I have to go log into all my alts so they can keep their names....

Putting all players on 10 servers they must have high expectations for the new hardware/software, because if it can't handle the loads at least to the degree it does now....

If you agree with the accuracy of the logins tracking, Brandywine has about 26-29% of the entire US population of players.  I expect that will drop, as Brandywine won't be an allowed destination at first, meaning those who leave to try other servers during the August to October window may not be able to get back.

I think 10 total servers is much more realistic for the game at this stage.  Of the 5 US servers, we can be fairly sure that Landroval (RP) and Brandywine will be present in name.

I wonder if they will auction the old hardware.  I have a good friend who bought one of the original Destromath sever blades at Blizcon a few years back (it was the cheapest one from our server... so I told him it obviously used to run Darnasus).  I could see someone interested in "owning" Elendilmir or Brandywine in a similar vein.

So it look's like Landroval and Laurelin are safe. They always were.

Anyone want to predict which servers will live?

I'm on Gilrain so that will definitely be going under the Bus :)

Laurelin is not safe, 1 RP server for the EU might mean that Laurelin goes and Belegaer or Estel stays.  Will be interesting to see how people role play when there are players speaking 3 different languages all in the same area.