LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

Definitely not. They 'could have reduced it to two servers'? Bollocks. One server would be more than sufficient!

Maybe they'll re-evaluate after a month and find that zero servers would've served them better, yet? Interesting times.

SNy

They need 2 one for RP and one normal, since you cant risk pissing off the role players

Haha.... You nattering nabobs of negativism aren't getting me down. I have high hopes the population consolidation will revitalize my LOTRO gaming. Will not be perfect and will not make all problems take the "click ruby slippers and back in Kansas" route... but better... I hope. :)

Haha.... You nattering nabobs of negativism aren't getting me down. I have high hopes the population consolidation will revitalize my LOTRO gaming. Will not be perfect and will not make all problems take the "click ruby slippers and back in Kansas" route... but better... I hope. :)

in theory, it should be better. easier to group up, more lively servers.  but how turbine let that bit of information slip (two servers were more than enough) was just...well, typical turbine really.

not to be too negative, but...even with a condensed population...there still isn't shit to do for end-game content. so there will be more folks around to do the same, scaled instances and bugged big battles?  i guess that's better? :)

Maybe they'll re-evaluate after a month and find that zero servers would've served them better, yet? Interesting times.

I think they are going to lose some players - people whose servers close. Also, if things go wrong - or if the servers can't handle the populations without lag - you might have even more people leave.

in theory, it should be better. easier to group up, more lively servers.  but how turbine let that bit of information slip (two servers were more than enough) was just...well, typical turbine really.

not to be too negative, but...even with a condensed population...there still isn't shit to do for end-game content. so there will be more folks around to do the same, scaled instances and bugged big battles?  i guess that's better? :)

I really just think he was trying to make a point about the data center quality...

I really just think he was trying to make a point about the data center quality...

Be that as it may, he put his foot in his mouth. They really need to cut out the amateur-quality shit they pull time and time again. From lack of communication to communication there was no need for. It's all been downhill in communication quality since Patience left. It improved under Rowan, but I dare say Frelorn need to learn that there is some information that is better kept to themselves.

• Upvote 1

Be that as it may, he put his foot in his mouth. They really need to cut out the amateur-quality shit they pull time and time again. From lack of communication to communication there was no need for. It's all been downhill in communication quality since Patience left. It improved under Rowan, but I dare say Frelorn need to learn that there is some information that is better kept to themselves.

I agree.

Surely if you are in a public relations role you should have people skills, tact and be able to think on your feet and spout out information without making unprofessional revelations or statements.

Edited by Mallorn

In the beginning Frelorn seemed like he would be an improvement, but he seems to be sliding into the bad decisions and habits of those who messed up before him. I agree it's amateur and that anyone whose job is communication should be doing better at it. This was a poor choice, both in words and saying it at all.

im not so sure. the exec producer also mentioned it later in a podcast with lotroreporter. for whatever reason, they want it to be known that two servers would have been sufficient to sustain the remaining population. 

im not so sure. the exec producer also mentioned it later in a podcast with lotroreporter. for whatever reason, they want it to be known that two servers would have been sufficient to sustain the remaining population. 

Is this their passive-aggressive way of saying "stop whining about having to transfer, we could've just shoved you all onto one server and not given you any choices"? 

Is this their passive-aggressive way of saying "stop whining about having to transfer, we could've just shoved you all onto one server and not given you any choices"? 

In this I agree with Stickieez, they probably were attempting to say our Hardware so bad *** we gotta wear shades.  Two will run the world.  However, what they actually said is pretty much open to interpretation and slightly ambiguous.

That's the thing though - they're trying to say "This hardware is REALLY GOOD".

The "everyone would fit one 2 servers because population" context is coming from us.  More recent MMOs use single server clusters (ESO, GW2, ETC) with larger populations than LOTRO even at the 2007 peak.  I have no doubt that top of the line hardware could handle the entire LOTRO population on ONE server (If EU account IDs could be sorted out to not conflict with US account IDs).

Why still have multiple servers?  I believe that comes down to the engine.  I think the servers could handle the entire population, but the game engine needs the division of servers to help spread people out.

The "everyone would fit one 2 servers because population" context is coming from us.  

it's also coming from them.  the hardware boast only came up because Frelorn was discussing how folks were complaining about the fact that there were only 10 total servers.  so turbine brought the population numbers into the discussion.

i understand their intent.  but for the first time, they revealed a piece of information that was better left not known.  they should have just talked up the hardware and eventually let it speak for itself a few months from now--and leave the population factor out of it.

Patience?  The one who assured us "The store will sell convenience, not advantage"?

That wasn't her fault.  That was the line she was fed and told to repeat.  Once she figured out what really happened, she left.  I think the revelation that her name was being attached to something that horrid made her nauseous.

it's also coming from them.  the hardware boast only came up because Frelorn was discussing how folks were complaining about the fact that there were only 10 total servers.  so turbine brought the population numbers into the discussion.

i understand their intent.  but for the first time, they revealed a piece of information that was better left not known.  they should have just talked up the hardware and eventually let it speak for itself a few months from now--and leave the population factor out of it.

I don't think they can let the hardware speak for itself.  Until they see how the game engine performs on the new hardware with the new population breakdowns, I doubt they really know how it's going to run and if the players are going to see any improvement performance-wise at all.

I don't think they "revealed" anything.  As I mentioned, there are single server setups able to handle many times LOTRO's population.  I don't think it is shocking information that they could have gone with only 2 clusters (and if not for the account ID issue, I think they would have said a SINGLE server instead of 2).

ESO uses a single server cluster for their entire population - does this fact alone mean that their population is low?

I don't think LOTRO has every had more players in its history than can be handled by current hardware in a single cluster... the fact that they're opting to split the capacity into multiple clusters DOES tell you something about the game engine. 

I'm actually surprised you guys aren't harping on THAT, rather than the population angle.

There game engine is the most crippling aspect of the game.  The engine is why someone with a top of the line pc still gets shitty fps.  My understanding is the Turbine G3 engine is pretty much a slightly updated version of the engine they started working on back in 94 for Asheron's Call.  It clearly wasn't designed to take advantage of the performance of decent hardware.  This new server hardware is like putting a Yugo engine in a Lamborghini. It looks pretty but it's still a pile of shit.