LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

Only a crazed shut-in with zero life outside of the game would need that many character slots.

To put it bluntly:

If you can't condense all of your characters down to a server or two, with each server containing the maximum number of characters possible, then yes, you have played too much LotRO and rolled far too many characters.  You likely have a gaming compulsion disorder and need to get professional help.

I'm a little surprised at these insults.  It's an old game that encouraged roleplay.  Over 7 or 8 years you develop a lot of characters for various activities.  For some, that character might only represent a month or two of roleplay or dedicated time with a small group of people, but still have great personal value as a result that one does not want to lose.  Is what Dal is asking a bit extreme?  In my view, yes.  Not sure it warrants the personal insults though.  I recognize this is the Wild West and we spit tobacco juice on each other's feet and throw down at the drop of a hat, but we're gamers and usually we respect various playstyles so long as others do the same.

Dal certainly does have a point as when he purchased those character slots he had access and use of those characters on servers which Turbine has decided to close.

Solution? This would only apply to people with Dal's rather rare (I would think) circumstance = I think a good compromise is to look at the hours played for the characters and an arbitrary number like ~50 hours in-game would qualify the character as a "played" character and not just a server placeholder. Any character that has over 50 hours in-game play should be compensated for with extra character slots. Turbine,

I would speculate the problem with any such compromise is the amount of time it would take to implement it.  Someone has to sit there and press the buttons and the requests that would flow in when a policy was made public could be quite large.

I see Dal's point - and the point of other people who have brought this up - Turbine is forcing players to delete characters or pay them more money to keep them - because of the server merge.

Well to be fair no one is forced to delete characters.

You can either not transfer them or if you transfer them and do not have enough slots then you have to lock some out until you can/want to purchase more slots (or have them given for free, you never know).

The only way this would not work is if you currently have more characters than the number of available servers times the maximum numberr of total slots per server.

I don't know if they upped the limit already but they said something like a max of 42.

While it sucks for people who have a lot of toons spread over a lot of servers there is no stealing as you purchased slots per server but never anywhere a guarantee of a minimum amount of servers.

I am happy about the two more slots, less for me but for my kids as they - while premium - do not have that many slots overall yet so % wise they profit much more.

I would have wanted a % increase anyway, like 1 additional slot per 5 slots an account already owns, or 1 additional for 3 owned for VIPs and 1 for 5 for Premium.

But that was of course much more work than a blanket two slots for all VIPs and Premiums.

I have like 90 toons spread on all servers, most of them just name and VIP downgrade perk holders that exist for years and are - besides a couple of sneak peak toons in the teens to check some servers - still in the intro.

But it will be fun consolidating them all and - because of them having a lot of the same names - renaming them on their destination.

I'm a little surprised at these insults.  Not sure it warrants the personal insults though.  I recognize this is the Wild West and we spit tobacco juice on each other's feet and throw down at the drop of a hat, but we're gamers and usually we respect various playstyles so long as others do the same.

really? it's not like you are new here...so i'm surprised that you are surprised :)

the person you are defending threw some personal insults of his own around towards certain people simply because they don't agree with his overly negative view of the game.  apparently his ignore list is quite extensive.

that makes him fair game for people to call him out on his bullshit and highlight the fact he may be a bit...loco...with his virtual army across the servers.

Edited by Papi

What Ms. Peters kept missing (as do a few here) is that slots ≠ characters. 

So it isn't an issue of being able to fit all your characters on the remaining servers. The issue is that you would like more characters on one server than your current limit is so you can fit them all in at once?

Like you've got 6 on one server, 6 on another, but when the consolidation comes you want all 12 on one server. But you've got a limit of 10 slots per server, which hasn't changed, and you being unable to keep all 6 together as an inconvenience?

really? it's not like you are new here...so i'm surprised that you are surprised :)

the person you are defending threw some personal insults of his own around towards certain people simply because they don't agree with his overly negative view of the game.  apparently his ignore list is quite extensive.

that makes him fair game for people to call him out on his bullshit and highlight the fact he may be a bit...loco...with his virtual army across the servers.

He also has this nutty conspiracy theory that Landroval & Laurelin didn't survive the cut due to their populations(which Castorix & LL can qualify), but rather because he thinks that Lonely Mountain Band rules over Landroval and the game's devs with an iron fist.

He tends to be rude and confrontational with people. Just look at my previous quote of his. He didn't understand something really basic, someone went to the trouble of elucidating it for him, and he insulted them for it.

And then we find out that he's one of those special snowflakes with far too many characters(which are all precious beyond measure- each and every one) to fit onto the slots he'll have left. And that's even taking into account the fact that Turbine just gave us all an additional 2 character slots per server! They did it specifically to help soften the blow for players like him.

I just did a quick mental inventory: I've rolled a total of 27 characters across 5 different servers since I've been playing. I'm fiercely attached to about 7 of them, I could delete 9 of them without losing any sleep over it, and I have varying degrees of sentimental & utilitarian attachment towards the rest. I'm not callous or unfeeling about being attached to one's characters, I feel that emotion myself- but there are limits. Past a certain point, you end up with far too many characters with far too little time & energy spent on each to elevate it above being just another redundant database entry.

Danthalion needs to sit down, with a pen & paper if necessary, and make some hard decisions about which of his pixelated friends makes the cut and which will be commemorated forevermore in a folder full of screenshots. Dan and I are both former City of Heroes/City of Villains players. All I have left of that awesome game are the screenshots and the little demo movies we were able to make thanks to that particular feature. I still sometimes go through those folders, and my heart unironically aches over the loss of some of those characters and the game in general. And that's after almost 3 years since the shutdown.

He also has this nutty conspiracy theory that Landroval & Laurelin didn't survive the cut due to their populations(which Castorix & LL can qualify), but rather because he thinks that Lonely Mountain Band rules over Landroval and the game's devs with an iron fist.

*snip*

While I don't hold with the power of LMB. It is quite possible Turbine was going to leave a Europe and NA RP server open regardless * IF * it was determined that RP was a profitable segment of the game population and they wanted to maintain that cash cow = would just make good business sense.

He tends to be rude and confrontational with people. Just look at my previous quote of his. He didn't understand something really basic, someone went to the trouble of elucidating it for him, and he insulted them for it.

And then we find out that he's one of those special snowflakes with far too many characters(which are all precious beyond measure- each and every one) to fit onto the slots he'll have left. And that's even taking into account the fact that Turbine just gave us all an additional 2 character slots per server! They did it specifically to help soften the blow for players like him.

I just did a quick mental inventory: I've rolled a total of 27 characters across 5 different servers since I've been playing. I'm fiercely attached to about 7 of them, I could delete 9 of them without losing any sleep over it, and I have varying degrees of sentimental & utilitarian attachment towards the rest. I'm not callous or unfeeling about being attached to one's characters, I feel that emotion myself- but there are limits. Past a certain point, you end up with far too many characters with far too little time & energy spent on each to elevate it above being just another redundant database entry.

Danthalion needs to sit down, with a pen & paper if necessary, and make some hard decisions about which of his pixelated friends makes the cut and which will be commemorated forevermore in a folder full of screenshots. Dan and I are both former City of Heroes/City of Villains players. All I have left of that awesome game are the screenshots and the little demo movies we were able to make thanks to that particular feature. I still sometimes go through those folders, and my heart unironically aches over the loss of some of those characters and the game in general. And that's after almost 3 years since the shutdown.

Who's Danthalion?

I see I didn't articulate my position well.  I'm not really trying to defend anybody.  Dalthalion is capable of fighting his own fights.  It was more about the statements than the target of the statements.  We most of us here game rather seriously, with a degree of variance, of course.  Gamers telling gamers to 'get a life' just caught me off guard on a forum about gaming.

• Upvote 1

I see I didn't articulate my position well.  I'm not really trying to defend anybody.  Dalthalion is capable of fighting his own fights.  It was more about the statements than the target of the statements.  We most of us here game rather seriously, with a degree of variance, of course.  Gamers telling gamers to 'get a life' just caught me off guard on a forum about gaming.

So let me get this straight. We got gamers on here who took the time to tell another gamer he has no life even though they are posting on a 3rd party forum about a game that just eliminated a shit ton of servers and seems to have been on auto pilot since Helms Deep, run by a company that is closing games rather than opening them?  

You can't make this shit up.  

But we are all guilty of this.  Instead of highlighting his "personal insults" how about getting a life and putting him on ignore? Or better yet don't respond.  

Do I think Dals toon count is ridiculous?  Sure.  Do I think Turbine should make him a special snowflake and give him 40 free slots?  No.  Do I think someone who has that many toons has no life?  No.  Simply because I have no clue what they are all used for.  I had 4 on my account that belonged to my nephew.  And 3 to 4 per server for storage.  And I played on 3 different servers at different times.  Wanting to keep all those toons active seems absurd to me.  But to each his own.

If you ask me this backlash has more to do with his previous comments rather than wanting the necessary slots for his toon.

As I visit here less and less frequently, I find it hard to keep up with who has fallen out of favour and vice versa. Can we just have a sticky post that lists who's a Brian Cant and who isn't  

I don't know we have plenty of names being called out on this very thread.

Doro for starters.  I know a bunch of you do not always agree with what Doro says or his antics on this board, but at times he has made valid points.  If you don't like his comments use the ignore feature. 

Instead of listing those out of favor, perhaps these approved posters can do a role call so we can get a feel for whose opinion is the forum standard.  And then we can get a good laugh at their expense.  The SOLE reason I came to this board was to get away from that official forum mentality that only the Lotro Elites opinions mattered.  I believe Khafar gave us that list way back when.

Also MP could you relink your site, its been a while since I visited.  I used to enjoy the podcasts.

• Upvote 1

So let me get this straight. We got gamers on here who took the time to tell another gamer he has no life...

Instead of highlighting his "personal insults" how about getting a life

You can't make this shit up.  

you're right...you can't make this shit up.

My signature links to the new website. We closed the old podcast and started a new one. It can be found here.

took a listen to #11, well done.

interesting bit about the WoW garrisons...hard to believe that are pretty much abandoning that system with the upcoming expansion.

and god yes, fantastic four was dreadful!

Edited by Papi

As I visit here less and less frequently, I find it hard to keep up with who has fallen out of favour and vice versa. Can we just have a sticky post that lists who's a Brian Cant and who isn't :)

Gotta watch the game if you want to keep up to date with the players.

Edited by Spidey

They have said garrisons were a Warlords-only feature since the beginning.

i was under the impression that garrisons were WoW's version of housing, so with that in mind--why abandon it--or restrict to that alternate reality/time line? 

Edited by Papi

interesting bit about the WoW garrisons...hard to believe that are pretty much abandoning that system with the upcoming expansion.

It is a little bit of a surprise they would abandon them after all the work done to make them, but garrisons are really not very fun after you have played with them for a while.

Players stopped playing WoW because they got sick of logging in just to do facebook-type game activities. I know it motivated me to stop playing also. Garrisons were ultimately flawed, although very cool the first time you did them.

It would be nice if people discussed or argued against points made instead of attacking people. A few posters have a habit of insulting people regardless of what they actually wrote, and calling them crazy.

A poster writing something you think is wrong, or having a different view, does not make that person crazy. Calling someone out on what they said, and showing why it is wrong, is much better than name calling and attacking someone's character. 

Edited by nosam9

i was under the impression that garrisons were WoW's version of housing, so with that in mind--why abandon it--or restrict to that alternate reality/time line? 

The story of Warlords was: you go to Draenor and recruit an army to defeat the Iron Horde.  Your garrison was the centerpiece of the whole "recruit an army" thing, and was also obviously intended as a nod toward the original Warcraft RTS games for the 10th anniversary of WoW and the 20th anniversary of Warcraft.

In Legion, we will be fighting the limitless forces of the Burning Legion, and (the story goes) no army we could possibly recruit would be big enough to stand any chance.  Instead, our only hope against the Legion will be powerful artifacts - the artifact weapons that each spec will get, and some kind of primeval artifacts hidden around the new zone which were created by the Titans long ago to keep the Legion from invading Azeroth (these latter artifacts will likely be the focus of quests, dungeons and raids over the course of the expansion).

nosam9 is also right, IMO, that while garrisons were an interesting change of pace, it would not be a good idea to keep them as a prominent part of a second expansion in a row.  The garrisons we built on Draenor will not disappear, so in that sense they can continue to serve as player housing of a sort, just not producing top tier crafting mats, or serving as a hub for max-level activities, as they are currently.

Do I think Dals toon count is ridiculous?  Sure.

My toon count isn't ridiculous.  I didn't say I have 228 characters; I said I am losing 228 slots (19 closing servers x 12 slots per server) in this event, which are, according to Turbine non-transferable to other servers.  If I had at least one slot per character from a closing server that I could transfer to a server that remained open, that would be a good compromise from Turbine.  For them to essentially say "You can keep your characters, but you have to re-buy slots" is something I consider dishonest.

I had full access to the slots holding the characters, with no charge in addition to the original charge, so why ought I not have slots to compensate me for the loss, even if less than 228 but able to accommodate the transfer of all my characters?  In my case, two free slots per server (eight total for the remaining US servers, since I cannot transfer US characters to EU servers) isn't going to be a suitable compromise for me.  There are only three remaining US servers that i could move entire groups of thematically-designed characters to (two groups of six and eight characters, respectively), but one has a reputation for being a bunch of grumps (not trolls, just bearing really bad attitudes), another is receiving a large influx of Windfolians, who are annoyingly insular and opposed to grouping outside their kinships, and one is completely unknown to me.  The two servers that I would very much like to transfer characters to are either mostly full or, in the case of Brandywine, unavailable for the import of characters.

To say that my choices are not meeting the specific needs I have would be accurate.  For Turbine to say that I have to re-buy slots to make my needs work or otherwise "pick-and-choose" which characters I wish to keep playing is rather poor customer service.  So, before you lot start casting aspersions and applying the "guano crazy" rot to me, at least try to read what I'm saying.