LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

No US transfers today, according to Vyvyanne.

"We hope to have these available for you tomorrow."

It's not clear whether anyone managed to successfully transfer today.  I saw several posts by people who tried and failed, one saying their account lost its VIP status in the process. 

Of course people who encountered no problems might not post on the forums.

So just because I'm on a server they didn't close I don't get a neat title and 5 TP per character?! Typical Turbine always fucking over the players. The vocal minority cries and cries and they get all the perks while the rest of us holding the game together get shit on and left out in the cold.

So just because I'm on a server they didn't close I don't get a neat title and 5 TP per character?! Typical Turbine always fucking over the players. The vocal minority cries and cries and they get all the perks while the rest of us holding the game together get shit on and left out in the cold.

I'd be more irate about me continuing to waste time on this sunken titanic of a game rather than missing out on a paltry amount of points with which to waste on retarded shit and another title to join the 10000000000000 others I'll never set as active.

I think the most hilarious aspect of all of this is the level of spin in place.  The in-game mail I received and the box claim it to be a "World Consolidation Event!"  An event, as if it's some wonderous thing that you have systematically driven off most of your player base.  

On a further note, that min lvl thing for the gift box wasn't effective immediately, they had to change that later.  I suppose that was after people in world chat were telling everyone how they could get easy TP.

On a further note, that min lvl thing for the gift box wasn't effective immediately, they had to change that later.  I suppose that was after people in world chat were telling everyone how they could get easy TP.

What?! Are you saying that Turbine didn't think that through properly before putting it in place?

UN-THINK-ABLE!

SNy

• Upvote 1

Apparently Brandy, the one server I assume that was going to be untouched, is having issues logging people in.   I realize most of the transfer stuff is/was probably affecting the login systems but I doubt the Bwhiners will be happy, or care about the distinction.

Edited by Bendin

I actually wanted to transfer a character *off* Brandywine: one of my name place-holder toons, to hopefully snag a name currently taken on Arkenstone.

I haven't heard whether the name-grabbing feature was turned on yet - has anybody in the EU managed to use it?

Edit: Tested it myself by creating characters on EU realms and transferring them - it worked twice (i.e. I was able to get an unavailable name by transferring in a character with the same name) and didn't work once (i.e. I ended up with a "-1").  So it appears that this feature is turned on and working.

Vyvyanne offers this reassurance that the server upgrades are going to happen:

Yes, we are still moving the data center and upgrading the hardware. We had planned to do this earlier in the year, in which case it would have happened before transfers, but due to a number of mitigating circumstances, the project did not begin as soon as we had hoped. However I can confirm that the new hardware has arrived and is being set up as we speak, but it will still take many weeks before it is ready to go. It will also take us several weeks to get to the point at which we are ready to open all servers to the transfer process. So in the end they will come together where they should be and we are watching and monitoring the many pieces to make sure nothing gets too far out of sync.

Does this smell a little funny to anyone else?

This isn't the 1990's anymore.  Data centers provision new hardware in a matter of hours or days, not "many weeks" or months. And as their own recent boasts attest, LotRO isn't even that big of an installation.  Of course some shakedown and testing would be required, but she makes it sound like they're manually soldering the ICs onto the circuit boards and installing the software from punch cards...

55d521286626a_Colossus1.thumb.jpg.4bb8db

I would guesstimate we are talking about maybe 2-3 racks of modern server blades, media and associated network infrastructure, maximum.  Unless they are building the data center around it, it's hard to imagine why the process takes months.

Sarcasm aside, literally every character on every server gets 5 TP by choosing a title from the giftbox. They're rewarding players like me who's servers aren't being shut down. "Here's some free slots and TP for us fucking over someone else. Enjoy!"

• Upvote 1

Sarcasm aside, literally every character on every server gets 5 TP by choosing a title from the giftbox. They're rewarding players like me who's servers aren't being shut down. "Here's some free slots and TP for us fucking over someone else. Enjoy!"

But it's SO UNFAIR!!!!

Why do I have to choose only ONE title?? 

There are 29 titles/deeds available, and my character is denied 28 of them...some thanks for being VIP!!

My characters started on Silverlode, transferred to Elendilmir in 2008, and will probably end up on Arkenstone.

What if I am feeling nostalgic for Silverlode one day, but chose the Elendilmir title?  Or vice versa?  Or what if I end up really loving Arkenstone and want to fit in with the natives?

THANKS FOR NOTHING, TURBINE

55d56aa6c228a_GnqgAJvlpkK761.thumb.gif.3

• Upvote 1

The title is available to everyone?

I thought it was for just the transfers, lol. So since I'm not having to transfer anyone how do I get this giftbox/title and TP?