LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

So just because I'm on a server they didn't close I don't get a neat title and 5 TP per character?! Typical Turbine always fucking over the players. The vocal minority cries and cries and they get all the perks while the rest of us holding the game together get shit on and left out in the cold.

Yes, you still do, my BW toons did.

Characters created after August 5 should not receive the gift box.  That creation cutoff may have been extended to today, since the gift boxes were delayed.

Edit: Nope, new characters do receive it, but must be level 10 to open.

New Creeps have to be rank 1. I have a rank 1 warg on BW that got the gift box and a rank 0 spider, spider still got the gift box, but I can't use it. Shocker! turbine actually thought in depth about something, of course it has to do with the store :P

I'm trying to transfer some toons off of Riddermark, but when I try the only choices I get to transfer from are 5 EU servers, am I doing something wrong?

Hehe... thought was sarcasm.

For the first week or two there will only be transfers between the big 5 NA servers and the big 5 EU servers. After this period they will permit staggered transfers (they have a list of the sequence) from the closing servers NA/EU to the big 5 of NA/EU.

Edited by fittybolger

Hehe... thought was sarcasm.

For the first week or two there will only be transfers between the big 5 NA servers and the big 5 EU servers. After this period they will permit staggered transfers (they have a list of the sequence) from the closing servers NA/EU to the big 5 of NA/EU.

Are you saying they're allowing transfers between the big servers but nothing else? What the fuck would be the point of that; those are the servers that are staying?!

Are you saying they're allowing transfers between the big servers but nothing else? What the fuck would be the point of that; those are the servers that are staying?!

it sort of makes sense...they want to establish the populations on the remaining servers first.  plus, it allows turbine to test the process with smaller numbers (as most will probably stay where they are--however, as it's a free transfer, some people who may have wanted to move in the past will do so now)

One point would be: if a name you want is unavailable on the server you plan to end up on, you can try to grab it from the Level 7 who hasn't logged on for five years before someone else does, by transferring a toon off one of the other big servers.

This assumes you can get (or already have) the name on at least one of the other big servers in your region, of course.

Yes, you still do, my BW toons did.

New Creeps have to be rank 1. I have a rank 1 warg on BW that got the gift box and a rank 0 spider, spider still got the gift box, but I can't use it. Shocker! turbine actually thought in depth about something, of course it has to do with the store :P

I hate it when sarcasm goes awry. 

I agree that it seems strange.  I'm taking advantage of it to get all my characters off Landy for free.

Yes, I thought it was odd too. As someone who is on a closing server, I'm a little bit peeved about it. Surely we should get the first chance to move. 

I know people on the OF are saying they have done it this way to test the system with a smaller sample, but still ...

Edited by Mallorn

I really doubt that there will be a lot of movement on the remaining servers.

And if people move it is less likely to be people that are established on the server for a long time and have the nice names they want to keep since most nice and in demand names have been taken 5+ years ago so that these people are probably more attached to the current server and are less likely to move.

Of course you could try to move you nice name toon from one to the other and then back to see if you can claim that name on another one as well however you still risk that someone else does the same and moves to your original server while you transferred away. (ok you could move and immediately create a placeholder on the original server).

Also this only works if you have that name already on a remaining world. And if you have it on Brandy, there is no way back for now. If you are in the EU cluster, you have at most one server that has the same language as your current one to move to.

On top of that you have the risk of the transfer not working properly and effing something up. 

While there are probably some that will do that I really really doubt that this is a big problem.

It is much more of a problem for people from larger closing worlds that will transfer last as they really have a smaller chance of keeping their names.

In the end it is a test run for Turbine and we all know they need a lot of these and in the end things will still not be smooth (as the last couple days showed the login servers seem to be on their last leg).

And there are people on the OF who still scream about it all being unfair and want ALL servers to close at the same time and start transfers to new servers at the same time so that everyone has to move to make it fair for everyone.

That would be fun to watch to see how the transfer tool wolud be able to handle thousands of transfers at the same time and probably lose data on the way.

But it would be more fair...

Vyvyanne offers this reassurance that the server upgrades are going to happen:

Does this smell a little funny to anyone else?

This isn't the 1990's anymore.  Data centers provision new hardware in a matter of hours or days, not "many weeks" or months. And as their own recent boasts attest, LotRO isn't even that big of an installation.  Of course some shakedown and testing would be required, but she makes it sound like they're manually soldering the ICs onto the circuit boards and installing the software from punch cards...

Indeed, I was thinking that as well. I mean, she is now saying that they don't even have the stuff in place, let alone configured anything on it yet? And despite that, they make broad claims as to how it will (supposedly) have this wondrous performance that just one single shard will suffice?

Unless, of course, we stipulate that "one shard per region will suffice for all its players" doesn't actually signify a boast wrt. to the performance but a rare insight into the number of players still active after their little stunt? :P

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

SNy

Edited by SNy
Useless fold-multi-quote

Indeed, I was thinking that as well. I mean, she is now saying that they don't even have the stuff in place, let alone configured anything on it yet? And despite that, they make broad claims as to how it will (supposedly) have this wondrous performance that just one single shard will suffice?

Unless, of course, we stipulate that "one shard per region will suffice for all its players" doesn't actually signify a boast wrt. to the performance but a rare insight into the number of players still active after their little stunt? :P

SNy

I suspect they gave the tech guys a deadline and didn't stay to hear doable/not doable or "yea whatever" or even if they had received the hardware yet.  After that they prob had several meetings one group of clueless execs telling another group yea the hardware is all set and ready because they waved their arms and "made it happen":  Right hand left hand

The big 5 US servers briefly opened up for transfers.

My first three attempts resulted in errors. 

The fourth attempt claimed to have been queued, but 30 minutes later, still no email confirmation.

Attempting to access the transfer UI now results in a network error.

The official forums appear to be on the brink of failure now too (3-4 minutes to refresh a page).

In short, the same degree of professionalism and attention to detail that we've come to expect from Turbine is on display once again!

things dont seem to be going well....

I guess traffic has flooded the network - that would be the best case scenario.    Worst case would be that the issues ARE related to the transfers, and they are just trying to assure people the xfers are fine, when they aren't.    Either way, things could be smoother, and things are going wrong from the start of opening xfers :oS

fingers crossed for improvements I guess! lol

I must've been lucky. I got all my toons and shared storage etc migrated in that small window. Took total of 15mins from start to finish, and had to try log in multiple times om new server. All in all I was pleasantly surprised.  Hope you get it sorted soon though.

It's a bit hard to believe that:

1) Yesterday, they open EU transfers, and within minutes the whole network comes crashing down, people unable to login, etc due to "unrelated" problems

2) Today, they open US transfers, and within minutes the whole network comes crashing down, people unable to login, etc due to "unrelated" problems

I suppose they could really be that unlucky, but... LOL Turbine.

I got "account information not found" a few times trying to log in today.  WTF is going on over there?

Great way to roll out the transfers!  The (unannounced, until pressed for answers yesterday) mysterious delays in getting the new hardware set up are looking like more and more of a trainwreck. 

they need to work this shit out...imagine what it will be like when the closing servers (entire populations) try and transfer over.  what is happening now is just a blip on the radar compared to what is coming down the road.  they need to get ahead of this stuff.

Due to the issues we have been seeing over the last couple days with logins, we have decided to turn the new transfer service off for the time being so that we can focus on correcting those issues before bringing the service back online and not risk errors.

We apologize for the delay and are doing all we can to remedy the situation ASAP.

Anyone have any ideas on how the transfer service would be interfering with the logins?  (Serious question, wondering where the intersection would be in terms of those two systems).  Is it related to how they process character data?  Or a bottleneck in how much traffic they can handle at any one time?