LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

I have no doubt that people on the remaining worlds are already creating burner toons for the 5 tp.  Oh, Turbine, you make it so easy....almost as if it's entrapment.

No more TP from the title boxes as of today's patch:  also new info from Vyv on transfers below that (my posts were merged into one)

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?575678-Update-16-5-Release-Notes&p=7431940#post7431940

Update 16.5 Release Notes

We have made some updates to the Character/Account transfer service. 

• Worlds where you have never logged in will no longer display in the select world page of the transfer wizard.
  • Characters / shared items selection now clears when you hit previous in the transfer wizard.
  • The "of World" titles now no longer grant Turbine points. The Level restriction on opening the Giftbox has been lifted!
  • We fixed some rare cases where a character import would fail when deleted characters with the same name existed on the target server

We have fixed an issue with the Auction house User Interface that was causing some item prices to not show fully.

Bingo Boffin's walking staff (and his other satchel!) now respawn more quickly. No more waiting!

New info from Vyv on world transfers:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?575685-World-Transfer-Status-Update-8-26-2015&p=7431991#post7431991

World Transfer Status Update 8-26-2015

First I want to thank everyone who participated in the initial transfers that occurred last week. Due to some unrelated connection issues we had to turn of the service after only a short couple days and before we could really kick off US transfers, but in that time we received a lot of data that will help us improve the service even more. If you attempted a transfer last week and encountered any issues, please open a ticket with Customer Support and they should be able to help you out.

We are releaseing a patch this morning with the improvements and at that time we will open up the service for 48 hours for the 5 Remaining US worlds: Arkenstone, Crickhollow, Landroval, Gladden and Brandywine (off world only) to shuffle among themselves. The service will then be turned off again Friday morning as we assess the data and wait for some of the new hardware effort to catch up to our transfer progress.

Currently we expect the new hardware and data center to be available for public testing on Bullroarer in early September and are planning an event around that. More info as we get closer.

In mid-September to Early October we expect to start open transfers off of the closing worlds to the remaining worlds. We will begin with the smaller population worlds so as not to tax the old hardware as we transition to the new but still allowing those on the quiet worlds to start getting to know their new communities. In the October to November time frame is when we expect to be able to do the full switch over to the new hardware and data center for everyone and turn on transfers across all worlds. Please note this is our current timeline and is subject to change based on other delays that may occur during build out.

For those concerned about the free transfer timeline between remaining worlds that we originally set to end on October 1st, we are adjusting this plan. We will no longer have a time frame for free transfers, but are instead working out a way for everyone to have a chance to change their mind on their destination server once before having to pay to do so again.

So once again I want to thank everyone for their patience. This is a monumental task to undertake and we are making every effort to ensure it goes as smoothly as possible, but in order to do that sometimes it means taking pauses or delays in schedule. And this is only the largest of the upgrades we are working on for this year! You should be getting eyes on our new in-game storefront in the coming months as well as a new website coming in the months following that! So many shiny new updates for Lord of The Rings Online coming up both in-game and out, so stay tuned.

Cheers,

Athena “Vyvyanne” Peters

Executive Producer

• Upvote 1

Vyvy wrote: "You should be getting eyes on our new in-game storefront in the coming months as well as a new website coming in the months following that! "

As in the LOTRO Store? This is a priority right now with all the other things that are going wrong in the game? /facepalm

• Upvote 1

Vyvy wrote: "You should be getting eyes on our new in-game storefront in the coming months as well as a new website coming in the months following that! "

As in the LOTRO Store? This is a priority right now with all the other things that are going wrong in the game? /facepalm

What did you expect?

blazing-saddle-wilder-and-little_5303ab15e087c339cfbc7a44.jpg

• Upvote 1

You know how they have those auto-bestowed quests that pop up when you hit the exact right spot?

Maybe they'll use that to deliver LOTRO store popup ads to you in-game.  

It already felt like that by the time I left. The LI panel had this annoying thing where the store button was larger than the actual icon they used, so I sometimes clicked that instead of the tab I wanted. There were quests that popped up and had an icon to let me just jump the travel and teleport right there if I wanted to buy and spend some mithril coins. There was that big garish icon on the bar at the bottom that was always reminding me of the store. The character panel had that big 'Enhance Character' bit. The vault had a fancy golden 'Get More Space' button. And every time I logged in, the second biggest button behind 'Enter Middle-earth' was 'LOTRO Store'.

Maybe I was just a little more annoyed by them than most, though.

• Upvote 1

Getting around the store has been like trying to evade perfume hawkers at a mall.   I'm not encouraged to hear they're upping their game there.  

Are they cracking down on 'not glowing remarks' again? I found myself briefly banned (for what amounted to a few hours) for *something* - no idea what, but I had mentioned some in game problems last week.  I'd also noticed the more doting posters going into a more aggressive defense lately. (which probably prompted me to point out the issues)    

Are they cracking down on 'not glowing remarks' again? I found myself briefly banned (for what amounted to a few hours) for *something* - no idea what, but I had mentioned some in game problems last week.  I'd also noticed the more doting posters going into a more aggressive defense lately. (which probably prompted me to point out the issues)    

Probably just on damage control for this whole transfer fiasco. The banhammer comes out and the fanboys start vomiting forth bile like some rabid follower of Nurgle.

Turbine is the same company. Same MO. Same goals.

Management at Turbine has not really changed. Only Vivaynne came in as the Exec. Producer - but she is not this powerful independent force that can go against Turbine's top management (or directives from WB). I can't believe how much some people think this is a whole new company and Lotro team just because we have Freelorn and Vivaynne. Again, she is not this powerful outsider who was given the project - she is just an internal staff person who they picked when they needed someone to be Exec. Prod. Are her and Freelorn doing a better job in some ways? Yes. I would take her and Freelorn any day over Sapience and some of the past people. But she really hasn't done that much except be more normal in communicating with players about their plans. And of course Freelorn is 10x better than Sapience, but again he is just doing an average job as any normal person would do in his role.

Nothing has changed: focus on store, limited money put into the game, things sometimes handled incompetently, Lotro development projects delayed. And the most important thing that hasn't changed: number one priority is getting money from the store, NOT making the best game possible. Before F2P, the two goals aligned: a good game meant more subscription money. Now, they don't need to do anything good for players - they mainly need to try to increase use of the store. Not that the developers, Frelorn, and Vivaynne don't want the game to be as good as possible. But Tubine is not behind really making Lotro better. Their main goal is go keep Lotro running, with as little investment as possible, and getting as much money from the store as possible.

There is no future in Lotro and Turbine management knows it. Lotro would only have a future if they spent money to improve it, but that wont happen. Instead, it will just get continue to get older and more buggy. Turbine decided years ago not to invest in Lotro. You saw that when the Hobbit movies came out and they refused to advertise Lotro. They also refused to show off Lotro at PAX. Everything was about Infinite Crisis. Now that IC has failed, they seem to be giving Lotro a little love, but the decision to not invest in Lotro or advertise it hasn't changed at all. And of course Vivaynne has no say in this whatsoever. She just manages the small budget given to her.

If you look at MMO forums (like reddit/mmorpg/) you will see very few people recommend Lotro when someone asks for any MMO to play. These games get recommended: GW2, TSW, FFXIV, Rift, WoW, and ESO. Lotro is no longer considered to be one of the top AAA MMOs as it used to be.  Lotro is just a way for Turbine to make some cash at this point before the servers are closed. We will see how long they can keep Lotro running with so many flaws in the game, no expansions, bad performance, and little improvement to the game. I would guess about 1 more year, maybe 1.5, unless management suddenly decides it's not worth it and shuts it down sooner. Unfortunately, there will not be much to look forward in Lotro in the next year or so.

Edited by nosam9

I'm afraid that's all too clear, & has been for a *long* time.  For me, it comes down to, 'how much do I value riding around Middle Earth?'  I've left the game before (I hated what they did to Rohan, the epic story was terrible fan fiction, & they bungled the entire thing, from the bumbling rangers to a whiny, petulant Eowyn, & 'frozen-with-fear' Eomer.)  It's never Turbine, always the world itself, that brings me back, though I'm never completely happy with it, and it never feels quite right.  (this is also why I cannot endure the Turbine Devotees, & so often want to slap them.)  

Maybe the new hardware will perk things up - make combat less leaden, at least remove some lag & weird glitchy movement, but even quests seem designed for the store's purposes. That won't change.   (make me run all over the place, pick up something, run a zone back, turn it in, go back - NOW are you ready to spend that mithril coin? I swear, the Bingo thing seems designed with that sole purpose, & nothing else.)    My favorite moment upon coming back was climbing the rubble in Osgiliath to look out toward Minas Tirith.  Then I'm sure a Ranger told me to go fetch a spider's nose or something, & the moment disappeared.

When I was a child, LOTR meant everything to me - it's only the faintest shadow of that in game that inspires me to log in.  And Tolkien wasn't hawking mithril coins.   Turbine, taking something beautiful & deeply meaningful to many, & running it into the ground!

I'm afraid that's all too clear, & has been for a *long* time.  For me, it comes down to, 'how much do I value riding around Middle Earth?'  I've left the game before (I hated what they did to Rohan, the epic story was terrible fan fiction, & they bungled the entire thing, from the bumbling rangers to a whiny, petulant Eowyn, & 'frozen-with-fear' Eomer.)  It's never Turbine, always the world itself, that brings me back, though I'm never completely happy with it, and it never feels quite right.  (this is also why I cannot endure the Turbine Devotees, & so often want to slap them.)  

Maybe the new hardware will perk things up - make combat less leaden, at least remove some lag & weird glitchy movement, but even quests seem designed for the store's purposes. That won't change.   (make me run all over the place, pick up something, run a zone back, turn it in, go back - NOW are you ready to spend that mithril coin? I swear, the Bingo thing seems designed with that sole purpose, & nothing else.)    My favorite moment upon coming back was climbing the rubble in Osgiliath to look out toward Minas Tirith.  Then I'm sure a Ranger told me to go fetch a spider's nose or something, & the moment disappeared.

When I was a child, LOTR meant everything to me - it's only the faintest shadow of that in game that inspires me to log in.  And Tolkien wasn't hawking mithril coins.   Turbine, taking something beautiful & deeply meaningful to many, & running it into the ground!

I think most mmos, if not all have that go here, fetch this, kill x number of this.  Lotro has a particular dilemma in that we already know the story, and none of us were in it.  In order to create enough "content" and thereby increase the longevity of the game, we have to do meaningless crap.  It completely saps all the immersion because why would a "hero" have to go pick cabbage and fix some chairs?  The other big mmos floating around don't have this issue because their stories are unknown until they are revealed.  So ostensibly we might need to go pick cabbage and stir a pot of soup.  I like getting to the meat of the story as much as anyone else but then the game would have lasted about 4 months if done in real time.

Turbine and WB has certainly screwed the pooch and instead of a huge blockbuster of a game, with all the money WB could throw at it, we have this halfasses attempt at pumping out content.  I think at this stage most detractors of the game who still log in are using Lotro as a chatroom and not so much an mmo.

The Bingo stuff mentioned the stone troll glade in the Trollshaws, back at the beginning when the whole thing started.

When it gets to that part, will it still continue to be free, or will it require a purchase of the Trollshaws quest pack to continue? Time will tell.

The ongoing adventures of Bingo Boffin is allegedly free according to the original dev post about it. As you mentioned it may well take players in to zones they don't currently own and therefore acts as a marketing incentive, which is potentially part of Turbines plan.

I think most mmos, if not all have that go here, fetch this, kill x number of this.  Lotro has a particular dilemma in that we already know the story, and none of us were in it.  In order to create enough "content" and thereby increase the longevity of the game, we have to do meaningless crap.  It completely saps all the immersion because why would a "hero" have to go pick cabbage and fix some chairs?  The other big mmos floating around don't have this issue because their stories are unknown until they are revealed.  So ostensibly we might need to go pick cabbage and stir a pot of soup.  I like getting to the meat of the story as much as anyone else but then the game would have lasted about 4 months if done in real time.

Turbine and WB has certainly screwed the pooch and instead of a huge blockbuster of a game, with all the money WB could throw at it, we have this halfasses attempt at pumping out content.  I think at this stage most detractors of the game who still log in are using Lotro as a chatroom and not so much an mmo.

Agreed.  Where I disagree is that the story itself limits them.  It has never limited them in the past when our characters went to moria or fought in the battles of DG.

The way to not make those quests feel so stagnant is to make the player seem part of the story.  My first character had tons of achievements that were part of the story and I felt like I was actually helping out in the fight against the Sauron.  Where it seems to have changed for me (story qualitywise) was with Wildermore and then even worse in HD.  Instead of helping with the major events happening in ME was were reduced to spectators.  While I understand in the main story lines our fictional characters are not present, there were many other paths that could have been taken. 

Things where turbine really screwed the pooch at that time: 

Having the main villain of a game edition (giant ice monster) meet his end at the hands of mindless npcs in a cut scene, where the player interaction is limited to clicking on a inventory item.  Players who tried to take on the the villain instead of sitting by watching it as a cut scene,  were rewarded  with a death.  The stories of middle earth have always been fictional but believable.  A dude getting thrown halfway across a zone by a giant ice monster and surviving is not believable.  It would have worked better for the story if the ice giant's appearance was only to warn the townspeople instead of (apparently) killing off a main character.  Then add in quests where you prepare for (dare I say it?) a lair raid where you finally do away with the monster.  It's not like we would be destroying lore by letting the players defeat a made up character.  I mean we already pretend fought Saruman.   (I find it extremely ironic that Nurzum is even listed as a mob in the Lotro wiki with HP and power totals, as if he can be killed by the character) Forget about the random token system in that edition, the storyline was not well done.

As we began the journey to HD it was almost as if you entered spectator mode.  Long quest chains of simply talking to npcs is capped off by an instance highlighted by 5 to 10 minute speech bubble read a thons.  (only the thane with one arm ended with some type of conflict, and I was one shotting those mobs so it became the same thing)  You wanna really feel left out?  Hit up Big Battles!  Your character is reduced to setting up barricades and firing catapults, which seem to have very little effect on the battle.  You spent all that time moving the catapult, or ballista into position to kill........1 orc. 

Lotro is a game not a movie.  We already got movie representations of the books.  What we needed was to feel as though we were part of those stories or similar ones (like the previous ones in DG, Moria, SOA).  It's not like Turbine hasn't said fuck you to the lore in the past for the sake of gameplay.  After fighting some of the most miserable villains of Middle Earth our characters were reduced to cleaning up some ones trash, gathering supplies for their armies, setting the diner table, carrying shit 300 meters one at a time, and many other remedial tasks.  Our characters were supposed to be heroes and not maids or peasants.  Sometimes this bothers me more than the eradication of proper group content.  And when they came out with the fangorn epic quest I knew it was the end of quality gameplay/storyline and that even the most important game events would be left to the players imagination.    That is never good for a game.  It is meant to be interactive.  Even a cut scene would have been better than fade to black!

Edited by Thequinn
  • Upvote 1

When I did Wilderbore I wanted so badly for them to include a raid of some kind to take that guy out.  It was a such a waste of potential and I will never complete everything up there with any character.  All that regional currency that can't be used for anything worthwhile is sitting in my premium wallet as a constant reminder of how utterly pointless that entire area became.

I recently finished the quest lines and Survivors of Wildermore deed, the deed itself being a bit of a grind, as few were willing to do warbands up there.  What I have left are a few slayer deeds that a ridiculously deficient spawn count (no doubt intended to nudge people into purchasing accelerators).  Maybe I'll be done with Wildermore this year; no promises.

But... Wildermore!   Some guy I don't remember wasn't dead, or something!   And I got to watch stuff happen, except on my hunter, who got mad & tried to auto-shoot the ice thing, & got herself killed.    I took that part of the game to mean, "You've suspected this before, but we at Turbine *really* hate you."

But... Wildermore!   Some guy I don't remember wasn't dead, or something!   And I got to watch stuff happen, except on my hunter, who got mad & tried to auto-shoot the ice thing, & got herself killed.    I took that part of the game to mean, "You've suspected this before, but we at Turbine *really* hate you."

Mounted combat in the mountains, that god-awful forest with the ents...agreed.

• Upvote 1

When I did Wilderbore I wanted so badly for them to include a raid of some kind to take that guy out.  It was a such a waste of potential and I will never complete everything up there with any character.  All that regional currency that can't be used for anything worthwhile is sitting in my premium wallet as a constant reminder of how utterly pointless that entire area became.

I do agree, but for the underlined word. The area didn't become that. It started out as such, which is the real shame.

SNy

Enedwaith was pretty close, too. Those damn PS1-style canyons filled with weird hobbit-goblins was terrible.

My biggest pet peeve about Enedwaith is that Enedwaith is a region like Rhovanion and Eriador.  The Zone we call Enedwaith is just North Dunland.  Still not as bad as Great River tho

My biggest pet peeve about Enedwaith is that Enedwaith is a region like Rhovanion and Eriador.  The Zone we call Enedwaith is just North Dunland.  Still not as bad as Great River tho

best part about Great River is the fangorn 6-man with those deadly venomous spiders, good stuff.

best part about Great River is the fangorn 6-man with those deadly venomous spiders, good stuff.

The zone is good for playing, I just mean the name.  They don't call Forochel the Frozen White North or Southern Mirkwood the Big Foresty Place.  Why is that called Great River?  Probably should be called Celebrant or some iteration of it as its fields are the dominant or most famous feature.