LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

That is a big 'if'. We've had so much lag since the last update, it's extremely difficult to play well, even on a medium population server like Imladris. I cannot imagine the lag once you jam all those players together on only 5 US servers. This is going to be a clusterfuck to end all Turbine clusterfucks. 

I was getting "reduced awareness" alerts all day yesterday, even though I was the only player in the zone in many cases.

It doesn't give you warm fuzzy feelings thinking about how things will run when they cram everybody together, does it?

• Upvote 1

Laurelin is not safe, 1 RP server for the EU might mean that Laurelin goes and Belegaer or Estel stays.  Will be interesting to see how people role play when there are players speaking 3 different languages all in the same area. 

In a strange way some things might go smoother to close the large worlds and migrate to the small ones. Less naming conflicts etc. 

I think you misinterpreted that. 

Not at all.  Shaddap.

Pay attention, because I'm only going to say this once.  In my specific case, I purchased a subscription, which gives five character slots per server (a total of 145 slots, 29 servers x 5 slots), and I purchased the Moria expansion, which gave an additional two slots per server (total now up to 203 slots).  That was with real money.  Then, I used TP to purchase an additional 5 character slots per server (total now up to 348 slots).

So, with the maximum amount of servers being reduced to ten, only five of which will be within my geography, I will, in effect lose 228 slots.  According to Turbine's blurb, they are perfectly happy to have me buy those back on whatever server I deign to transfer my characters to.  If they wanted to not cause loss to their customer base in this whole event, they would have created an interface where people could transfer slots, so that impacted characters could already have a place prepared for them on the remaining servers.  Their current plan seeks to rob without any measure of compensation, while putting the salt of "You can always buy it again" smartly in the wound.

• Upvote 1

Surprised that a total of 19 servers are all going down. I expected a lower number than that. A bit depressing.

On the flip side, I'm glad to see that Brandywine will be inaccessible. I'm not sure if I misunderstood, or just missed this, but will you be able to transfer off of all servers, or just the one's that are affected by the close? I may want to hop out of Brandywine. They may have barred transfers, but it's still overcrowded.

Not at all.  Shaddap.

Pay attention, because I'm only going to say this once.  In my specific case, I purchased a subscription, which gives five character slots per server (a total of 145 slots, 29 servers x 5 slots), and I purchased the Moria expansion, which gave an additional two slots per server (total now up to 203 slots).  That was with real money.  Then, I used TP to purchase an additional 5 character slots per server (total now up to 348 slots).

So, with the maximum amount of servers being reduced to ten, only five of which will be within my geography, I will, in effect lose 228 slots.  According to Turbine's blurb, they are perfectly happy to have me buy those back on whatever server I deign to transfer my characters to.  If they wanted to not cause loss to their customer base in this whole event, they would have created an interface where people could transfer slots, so that impacted characters could already have a place prepared for them on the remaining servers.  Their current plan seeks to rob without any measure of compensation, while putting the salt of "You can always buy it again" smartly in the wound.

Are you proposing that, instead of 12 slots on each of the 10 remaining servers, that everyone in a similar position be given 23 additional slots on each server - for a grand total of 35 per server?

Edit: I think he has me on ignore so I guess I won't find out if that's what he means.

Edited by FundinStrongarm

Surprised that a total of 19 servers are all going down. I expected a lower number than that. A bit depressing.

On the flip side, I'm glad to see that Brandywine will be inaccessible. I'm not sure if I misunderstood, or just missed this, but will you be able to transfer off of all servers, or just the one's that are affected by the close? I may want to hop out of Brandywine. They may have barred transfers, but it's still overcrowded.

Yeah, they said that the first thing they'll allow is free transfers between the 5 remaining US servers (and the 5 remaining EU ones too). So you should be able to transfer off for free,  assuming that Brandywine isn't one of the ones to be closing.  

After they see how things sort out, they'll start allowing transfers off the closing worlds for free after that.

The free transfers off remaining worlds won't last long, so don't wait if you do want to transfer off.                                                                               

Not surprised at all with 19 servers getting axed.   I had a very short nostalgia trip to Laurelin server around a year ago (+-6 months I don't remmeber exactly), I've created a new account and new character and levelled it up a bit.    Population in low lvl areas was  lower than what I remember from Mirkwood times and that was a low point in Lotro Pay-to-Play population.  So yeah it really looked bad for f2p game. 

Yeah, they said that the first thing they'll allow is free transfers between the 5 remaining US servers (and the 5 remaining EU ones too). So you should be able to transfer off for free,  assuming that Brandywine isn't one of the ones to be closing.  

After they see how things sort out, they'll start allowing transfers off the closing worlds for free after that.

The free transfers off remaining worlds won't last long, so don't wait if you do want to transfer off.                                                                               

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I'm probably going to end up moving to Landy. Then again, it sounds like a lot of people are having that same idea, so maybe I won't. I'd really prefer to not get stuck in another lag-hole (no offense to peepls on Brandywine.

Frelorn and Vy have been extremely active on the dev tracker answering specific questions.

Of course they are, they have a shit-ton of damage control to do. The fact they're closing two-thirds of the servers says a lot to people about the state of the game, at a time when people are already unhappy. Long-term I don't see the game surviving if they cut back this much. People are going to be pissed at moving so much stuff, especially if they didn't want to live on an over-crowded server to begin with, then add in naming conflicts, losing items from kinhouses because of players that no longer play who had trophies there, etc...... RIP lotro.

Edited by Beaniemooch
  • Upvote 1

Licence is up for renewal in 2017 so about a year and a half, we'll be at the end of the books by then, what do you consider long term?

I'm pretty sure it'll get renewed and the game will be whittled down to 1 US 1 EU server not too long after.

Oh I think there will be a renewal, of sorts. But then no one here likes my theory, :)

But in all honesty the "lotro is dying" "this is the final nail" crowd is running out of time, anything past Mordor is borrowed time and always was.

Edited by Spiteful

Of course they are, they have a shit-ton of damage control to do. The fact they're closing two-thirds of the servers says a lot to people about the state of the game, at a time when people are already unhappy. Long-term I don't see the game surviving if they cut back this much. People are going to be pissed at moving so much stuff, especially if they didn't want to live on an over-crowded server to begin with, then add in naming conflicts, losing items from kinhouses because of players that no longer play who had trophies there, etc...... RIP lotro.

Having actually looked at one of the sites that tracks in login statistics, if they do it right, they can account for over 60% of the NA playerbase on 5 servers, as 3 servers make up half of the logins for NA alone.  So with less than half the NA players likely unaffected by this, it's gonna look worse on paper than what the players are actually observing.

But yeah, I give LotRO one more year of "active" development, then life support from there.  It was fun until HD... now I just play FFXIV and wonder how they could have screwed up LotRO that badly.

Edit:

To drive the point home. from http://lux-hdro.de/hdro-live-us.php, here's the breakdown for the servers, based off of the chart when I pulled it earlier today:

26%:
Brandywine

13%:
Gladden
Landroval

6%:
Crickhollow

5%:
Arkenstone
Meneldor

4%:
Dwarrodelf
Elendilmir
Imladris
Silverlode
Vilya

3%:
Firefoot
Nimrodel
Riddermark
Windfola

Nine servers barely make up 1/3 of the NA players.  Small wonder they can axe so many NA servers, and not care if they lose that segment of the population, as the risk v reward is so skewered towards reward that any population loss is an acceptable risk to Turbine.

At least E can pass on to a memory of what was, rather than being in the state it is now, as that server really needs to be a memory viewed through rose tinted glasses, than a ghost of it's former glory.

Edited by Almagnus1

Oh I think there will be a renewal, of sorts. But then no one here likes my theory, :)

But in all honesty the "lotro is dying" "this is the final nail" crowd is running out of time, anything past Mordor is borrowed time and always was.

I have no problem with your theory,  but you just said it.  Who wants to come back to an MMO that's living on borrowed time.  When lots of us stopped playing we moved on to new mmos.  We weren't just sitting around waiting for turbine to make the game worth playing.  Sure closer to the end you might have some of us return for nostalgic reasons.   And the usually folks might check in to salvage their toons after server mergers.

The "nail in the coffin" crowd has been gone a long while now.  Because they realize the remaining players will keep taking anything no matter how small as far as updates.  

At least Saurman invading the shire will be easy to do.  Turbine is almost there. 

I also think alot of people use the lotro is dead" thing to say that it isn't worth playing rather than the game ending.  That's the thing a ton of turbine defenders clutch to in order to shout down the so called nah sayers.  Since I am active outside the lotro community as far as other mmos are concerned I can't see myself or my friends coming back.  Sure we still bring up the game from time to time but not enough to reinstall.  For some of us we felt turbine betrayed us for turning Lotro into a gambling simulator.  

I would also think Beanie would have some intimate knowledge of the size of staff?  I don't call limping along lively.  For the folks left it may seem that way minus 19 servers.  That will be good for the remaining die hards who will never quit.  I've never seen Beanie say Lotro was dead until just now.  Not something Beanie has been saying since launch like most of the folks on the other forum will tell you.

Amazing that despite all the other work they are doing to support these huge changes, they STILL can't fix the "data incompatibility problem" that prevents simple transfers between regions.

There must be some truly epic failure involved here that belongs in every software engineering textbook as a case study...

I believe they'll limp along to the end of the "story" for about a year. As for the game being dead or dying, I've actually never thought it was dying before. Now I do. It may not actually go offline but I think they'll stop putting out any new content, reduce servers again in another year to year and a half for the last survivors, and just let it die on its own. The population loss will create the natural attrition to whittle it down until the doors finally close.

I believe they'll limp along to the end of the "story" for about a year. As for the game being dead or dying, I've actually never thought it was dying before. Now I do. It may not actually go offline but I think they'll stop putting out any new content, reduce servers again in another year to year and a half for the last survivors, and just let it die on its own. The population loss will create the natural attrition to whittle it down until the doors finally close.

That sounds close to my opinion, except I don't think the doors will close anytime soon. They've spent to many resources consolidating the game in a fashion that will allow it to go on with minimal effort. I think as "Middle Earth Park" it will keep enough people coming back to rationalize keeping the license and make a small profit.

I haven't seen this Adventure with Bingo or whatever the Hell it is, but I imagine it as a virtual tour guide. "And to your left is the house of Tom Bombadil and if you look real close down the river you can just see the branches of Old Man Willow. Next up Barrow Downs Land home of the Barrow Wights!". " And while you're here be sure to visit our gift shop"

Edited by Spiteful

"And to your left is the house of Tom Bombadil and if you look real close down the river you can just see the branches of Old Man Willow. Next up Barrow Downs Land home of the Barrow Wights!". " And while you're here be sure to visit our gift shop"

"Be sure to pick up a Gandalf or Frodo bobblehead on your way out."

Has there been any info on creep transfers? Since it's 1 slot / class on creepside I can imagine this getting tricky...

The only "official thing I've seen beyond the notice:

Quote Originally Posted by Linwenn View Post
Question :

Server 1 (going to close) : i have 3/6 characters 

Server 2 (future server) : i already have 6/6 character

does it become 9/12 ? or 9/9 or 3 become unplayable and i need to purchase slots?

You will have 9/6 and in order to play the 3 extras you will need to delete a character or get extra slots. All of your characters do not have to go to the same world, however.

Not sure that helps though

Edited by Spiteful

Am I the only one who expected 2 (or maybe 3) servers on each side of the pond? 2x5 actually doesn't sound so bad.

Also, according to the Darmokk's site for login tracking, the population has been flat-lined since a year+. The remaining crowd is the peeps who can take anything thrown in their face, regardless of quality or price. Turbine knows this, and waited to see the tendency stabilize, so now they can do server merges with the solid rock population established. They can do whatever, actually - more server merges later, or server splits :), etc. It doesn't matter; everything is allowed, because the customer base can take everything.