LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

I wonder what the people who created SoA and Moria in Lotro think about what the later people added to LOTRO. If it was me, with years of love poured into the early game, I would not be happy with what Turbine did to Middle Earth in Lotro.

They can't be happy.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Special server is special.   SPECIAL, dammit!!!!

What is getting me in that thread is that people are coming in and offering other solutions.  Different people - not the usual players.  And mostly their comments are completely ignored so the argumen

Anecdotal evidence doesn't normally carry much weight. But if the rules really weren't a problem, Turbine wouldn't have needed to temporarily relax them recently. Have a look at the non-naming rules,

Posted Images

Maybe that's where some of the haters come from....

/shrugs some perhaps, but Turbine is  certainly adept in estranging a wide swath of demographics.  And to be honest if all developers past/present who ever touched LOTRO rose up in rage, would likely not be more than 100 or so individuals maybe as much as 200.  That's a spit in the ocean to the hate they used to get.  These days no one cares other than here and the OF and hasn't for some time.

EDIT the industry market at large has long since relegated LORO/DDO mentally to maintenance titles regardless of official status if they think about them at all.

Edited by Bendin

That's the crux of the problem, as LotRO desperately needs a graphics engine overhaul, or a FFXIV ARR treatment before it can shine again.

Unlike FFXIV, there's not core gameplay that's worth salvaging, so it will probably end up being close to an AC2 than a FFXIV ARR.

I always felt the graphics were OK.  The game engine is terrible and probably the source of the lag.  When you load a low level toon it loads fast.  When I was loading my level 95s it was so slow.    The one thing I will give Turbine the thumbs up on is the graphics.  

They can't be happy.

I'm sure they thought they had a wow killer at the beginning.  With the movies still fresh in everybody's mind. It is still one of the best licence games I've seen.  But we have seen what Turbine does to popular ips.  

Not like anyone has done better.  I wouldn't call never winter a success.  And look at the Elder Scrolls mmo.  SWTOR, anyone?  Everything with the Tolkien IP has become a joke.  From mobile to PC to console.  

Blizzard has taught us that you have to throw money and talent at these mmos.  And even they don't get it 100%.  

But no.  If I was responsible for soa or Moria, I wouldn't be happy.  You can ask them on the o boards as some still work for Turbine. 

Everyone has done better than Turbine did with Lotro.  Rift, GW2, TSW, ESO, SWTOR, etc.

FFXIV is showing us that if you make a good MMO people will be willing to pay a monthly sub.

Sad as it is to say, arguably STO has done better and that's a damn low bar.  Turbine can't even make lockboxes hugely profitable though they tried.  And that's like some kind of staple in f2p, not to mention the lowest hanging fruit out there.

EDIT Monkey + football = Turbine

Not that I'm saying quin is wrong and that industry smells like roses, but Turbines work makes even mediocrity look polished.  In an industry as stagnant as MMogs, it takes a certain special something to end up at the bottom.

Edited by Bendin

Sad as it is to say, arguably STO has done better and that's a damn low bar.  Turbine can't even make lockboxes hugely profitable though they tried.  And that's like some kind of staple in f2p, not to mention the lowest hanging fruit out there.

I don't think LOTRO has things easily monotized by lockboxes the way STO does.  Ships are the cash cow in STO, and there's really nothing that compares in LOTRO, which instead gatekeeps PVE content the way that STO does not.

Ships aren't just a cosmetic.  They are much more mechanically important/diverse and convey huge advantages that have grown since the Delta expansion (Ship mastery unlocks that gate powerful passive traits behind the lockbox lottery).

Honestly, it works for STO somehow despite being utterly pay to win, but if Turbine tried something similar with Lotro this board would roast them.  I think STO can do it only because their "pvp" more or less died years ago, and is a pretty abandoned system by the designers and players alike.  The power creep in STO is astounding, even if the game is still somewhat fun in PVE.

Not too hard to beat me, now if I had the fleet plasma consoles I should get a lot higher

Well, I find the whole parse thing silly TBH.  At this point, I can fly ISA/ISE in my sleep, and the amount of hull I have to chew through makes torps actually more useful than they otherwise would be.  Flanking from raider + specialization = ezpz.

P2W matters a lot less in a game that is casual-PVE centric. 

No wonder Lotro went more and more this way ever since the transfer to F2P.

In a game where no one really competes for top spot (PVE or PVP) it wont really bother anyone if someone else pays to get stronger.

P2W matters a lot less in a game that is casual-PVE centric. 

No wonder Lotro went more and more this way ever since the transfer to F2P.

In a game where no one really competes for top spot (PVE or PVP) it wont really bother anyone if someone else pays to get stronger.

yeah. It means they can stop development on the meat and potatoes and over serve the asparagus.  IMO pvp and dungeons are the reason we level to cap.  Not to sit around and do 5 daily quests a day for a pet.  

The new staff knows this but are left with a budget that doesn't make it possible for any of that to be polished or well thought out.   I saw a ton of players leave during HD never to return.  Everyone has different main reasons.   It was at this point some of the worst decisions were made.  While I wouldn't call ROR a masterpiece it was keeping players playing.  That new tree must be easy to develop.  Just add numbers to a chart rather than add new animations and skills to balance.

yeah. It means they can stop development on the meat and potatoes and over serve the asparagus.  IMO pvp and dungeons are the reason we level to cap.  Not to sit around and do 5 daily quests a day for a pet.  

The new staff knows this but are left with a budget that doesn't make it possible for any of that to be polished or well thought out.   I saw a ton of players leave during HD never to return.  Everyone has different main reasons.   It was at this point some of the worst decisions were made.  While I wouldn't call ROR a masterpiece it was keeping players playing.  That new tree must be easy to develop.  Just add numbers to a chart rather than add new animations and skills to balance.

Just to be contrary I'll quibble a bit with ROR keeping em playing, that's when I left :D.  Around loot train 3 or was it 4...anyway somewhere around then.  HD only got me to delete the beta client.

Edited by Bendin

On Friday Vyv wrote

On the CS ticket issue there was a miscommunication between departments and we are looking into these tickets now.

For the remaining world transfers, they were only intended to be on for free for a short time. However after turning on the service we found some potential exploits and data error potential in that way of allowing free transfers, so we have to go back to the drawing board to determine another way of granting limited free transfers between those worlds. The closing worlds are a one way transfer service so we do not encounter the same issues. We have started the process with only the closing worlds, because they are the ones we are doing this consolidation for as they are in need of a more active server population to have a better play experience. 

As for naming policies: the naming priority code is working as intended, there are no changes planned.

I wonder what type of "potiential exploit" she's talking about. Turbine changes their transfer game plan so often from one moment to the next, they seem to be making it all up as they go along. :/

• Upvote 1

Considering some of the exploits they've left in the game for long periods of time, can you imagine how obvious, on their side, and the magnitude of this, lol.

My guess is that there is some way to transfer off server, then either interrupt the process or just after transfer back, allowing you to double up Account/Server level items and currency.

Today's transfer stampede has started and right now it's taking up to an hour.  You get locked out of not only the game but also the forum until the transfer is complete.  Happy trails to everyone migrating today!

Vyvyanne is online nowExecutive Producer

The account gets locked while transfers are in process. When we did this before only a few people were going at a time so it was fast (a matter of seconds in some cases) which is why folks did not notice it. Right now the service is in high demand so it could take up to an hour.

Today's transfer stampede has started and right now it's taking up to an hour.  You get locked out of not only the game but also the forum until the transfer is complete.  Happy trails to everyone migrating today!

Vyvyanne is online nowExecutive Producer

I set up my E toons to come to Gladden about 10 minutes ago. We'll see how long I'm locked out. Happy trails indeed lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed the transfer of an entire kinship, according to the instructions given.  Here are some things I noticed:

- I purposely left some items behind in my kinship house and house chest as a test.  All of that went to escrow.

- After re-purchasing a kinship house, I received a 15 gold stipend towards a new house on the new server.  After purchasing it, I not only retained the upkeep I had invested in the former house but I also gained the new house purchase upkeep grant in addition.

- Before transferring from one server, I redeemed my free, weekly silver and gold Hobbit presents.  Upon reaching the new server, not having been there before, I was able to partake in another free round of presents.

- All ranks were retained, but I did have to manually restore kinship house permissions.

It went better than expected, which surprised me.

4. Transfer of Reaver (or other Monster characters): You can have multiples of one type in cases of transfer of monster characters. In this case you should find a small drop down arrow next to that monster type that will give you a selection of Reavers (or other types) to choose from.

This is the one I think War means

I found the hard way that this is incorrect. I made some name holding Creeps and forgot to delete them, when I transferred any Creeps class that didn't have an empty slot were deleted during the xfer. It was only a rank 2 Warg, but word to the wise, make sure all Creep slots are empty BEFORE you xfer.

Ah that explains it!! I haven't played creep-side for so long but transferred a spider just in case as I quite liked the name.  On logging in, it was nowhere to be found only another whose name I didn't recognise and I just assumed the name had got muddled during transfer which confused me a little.

After reading the above, I logged in again and there is, indeed, a little blue arrow and my old spider is safely stored next to the one I must have made years ago on my new server.

So it did work for me.

Edited by Iordariel

From Vyv today: (LONG post, six got merged into one, sorry, Vyv was answering a lot of questions in the transfer thread today.)

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?573104-World-Transfers&p=7458143#post7458143

"Free transfers Open form Brandywine or Evernight onto other remaining worlds available (TEMPORARY)

We have decided to open up free transfers off of Brandywine or Evernight onto the other destination worlds if players wish to use this to move to a less populated destination.

These free transfers are one way only and will be available temporarily until we turn on transfers between all of the remaining worlds after all closing worlds have had the ability to make their moves. After that point all accounts will receive 3 free transfer tokens and tokens will be required for transfers between the remaining worlds. Closing worlds will always be free and not require a token to transfer off of, forever.

We will still maintain the ability to occasionally turn on free transfers on remaining worlds for special weekends to encourage population balance. Those events will be announced before they occur."

Also from Vyv today:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?573104-World-Transfers&p=7458167#post7458167

"Tokens are Per account, so three free character moves after paid transfers are turned back on."

and

"As part of the server merges, we are aware that there are many people who are entering Laurelin and Belegaer without a full understanding of the rules for a roleplay server. These servers have enforced roleplay names. This means that any name that falls outside of those rules is subject to change. This can come as a shock to those who have played for years with a name they are attached to but which falls outside of these rules. 
Until December 31st 2015, we will attempt to practice a relaxed version of the naming rules as though the servers were just like the ones who do not enforce roleplay names. I would encourage those who plan to call these roleplay enforced servers their home to contact In-Game Support to request a rename token as part of a proactive approach to avoid a naming violation. In 2016, the naming policy will revert to the original roleplay enforced version and your name will be subject to those rules. "

one more;

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?573104-World-Transfers&p=7458231#post7458231

"The new hardware is coming along great. We have all the equipment in place and built out and are now onto the arduous task of moving all of the software and data from the old hardware to new, making sure connections are correct, running QA tests etc. We should be having a load test on the new Bullroarer Beta world soon and will make announcements about it as soon as we have a date locked down. The aim is to have everything completed and live before the US Thanksgiving holiday. In the meantime we are monitoring the Evernight population closely, have added some additional hardware resources to it to increase capacity and if we start seeing issues we might have to slow down transfers, but we hope it will not come to that as I know everyone on the closing worlds is looking forward to their opportunity to transfer."

also: 

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?573104-World-Transfers&p=7458242#post7458242

"There are technical limitations to this and we also found that there is too much room for abuse if we allow endless free transfers between the worlds, which is why we have gone with this plan: 3 free moves should you be unhappy with your initial choice and the occasional window of free moves like what we are doing for Brandywine and Evernight now, where moves are one direction only."

more:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?573104-World-Transfers&p=7458254#post7458254

"When the services are paid it will work similar to how the system worked previously, as in 1 token per character. We have just added the Account items move which will be always free and the ability to move all characters at once if you wish to do so. If you select all characters, on the confirmation screen of the wizard, it will total up the tokens needed for you. In this example it will be 5 characters = 5 tokens. If you do not have enough tokens to pay for the move, it will provide a link to get more. You can then go back and choose characters individually if you do not wish to move all of them, get more tokens, or wait for a window of free transfers to your preferred destination. Or any combo of the three."

I think she's done for today now:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?573104-World-Transfers&p=7458277#post7458277

"There is actually a lot of data that can be moved before hand by taking a snapshot of the past 8 years and moving that and then just doing a transfer of the difference when we are ready to do the actual switch over. Currently the estimates I am getting have the downtime being no longer than a normal update downtime of a few hours. 

As for the naming policy, CS and Frelorn are currently working on updating the websites with the new policy, I just wanted to give the information here to answer the question. More official notice will be posted soon."

Edited by warspeech