LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

"As part of the server merges, we are aware that there are many people who are entering Laurelin and Belegaer without a full understanding of the rules for a roleplay server. These servers have enforced roleplay names. This means that any name that falls outside of those rules is subject to change. This can come as a shock to those who have played for years with a name they are attached to but which falls outside of these rules. 
Until December 31st 2015, we will attempt to practice a relaxed version of the naming rules as though the servers were just like the ones who do not enforce roleplay names. I would encourage those who plan to call these roleplay enforced servers their home to contact In-Game Support to request a rename token as part of a proactive approach to avoid a naming violation. In 2016, the naming policy will revert to the original roleplay enforced version and your name will be

This is how I thought they should handle the Laurelin RP name police except for the revert portion = perhaps they will simply forget to revert.

Yeah this is big news. (link here too:https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?579158-Convert-all-RP-Servers-to-RE-Servers&p=7458188#post7458188).  I recommend to look at Vyvyanne's recent posts - they have a lot of new information on transfers, rename tokens, and the NEW Laurelin policy on names (until Dec. 2015 at least).

Jesus Christ, they're really gonna push this near Thanksgiving?!

So the current timeline now looks like this:

Day before Thanksgiving = new hardware

Thanksgiving = majority of employees on seasonal break

Thanksgiving night = all servers go haywire

Turbine Notice = we'll be back after the New Year

Why the fuck would you do such a major switch right at the start of the Holiday Vacation Season?!

Jesus Christ, they're really gonna push this near Thanksgiving?!

So the current timeline now looks like this:

Day before Thanksgiving = new hardware

Thanksgiving = majority of employees on seasonal break

Thanksgiving night = all servers go haywire

Turbine Notice = we'll be back after the New Year

Why the fuck would you do such a major switch right at the start of the Holiday Vacation Season?!

I think Vyv was tasked to get this all completed by the end of 2015.   She's still trying to work within that deadline, that's all the time she has left to work with given how long it's taken them so far, so this is her new target.  I agree it doesn't look good.

I think the odds are 50-50 that they end up pushing things into next year.

U17 is on Bullroarer already, isn't it? So that will be live in 3 till 4 weeks, I guess 1st week of november.

If the new servers are up and running and they only have to check if everything works/ is stable and they need to do some final duplicating/copying tests from the old to new serverpark.

If they aren't yet at that stage, I guess the timeline is too optimistic

It will all depend on how good the people are who are doing this. Vyvyanne and Freelorn don't have a technical background - so if Turbine uses them or other people not qualified to do this, they will screw it up.

I am guesing things will go pretty wrong - and then they will scramble to find someone to help they fix it.

@Castorix:
I started looking into the stats again, can you generate an updated EU [All Servers] and EU + NA pie charts?

I'm starting to suspect that Evernight is morphing into a super server, possibly as big (if not bigger) than Brandywine at this point, and that Belegaer and Laurelin are actually discouraging the non-RP players to transfer to them because of the RP drama queens on the official forum shouting "STAY OFF MY LAWN".

I'm also having trouble getting the data in an easy to understand state.

Indeed, players appear to have logged in to Evernight more often than Brandywine last week.

I think this is the first time that's ever happened for a server that's not currently or recently the recommended world for new players.

I found the hard way that this is incorrect. I made some name holding Creeps and forgot to delete them, when I transferred any Creeps class that didn't have an empty slot were deleted during the xfer. It was only a rank 2 Warg, but word to the wise, make sure all Creep slots are empty BEFORE you xfer.

I was able to copy creeps from multiple servers to Bullroarer during testing.

On the creep character select screen, there was a tiny arrow on the right side of the name that allowed me to choose between multiple creeps of the same class. (I didn't notice it right away. I had to ask and have it pointed out to me by another player.)

You might want to check again and see if your creeps really did transfer.

You mean, actually admit that that the RP tags on the server are really signs that read <SARUMAN>DO NOT ENTER HERE OR BE TROLLED BY THE SELF RIGHTEOUS ASSHATS</SARUMAN>?

Well, I don't think Turbine would come out and say that, but it would have pretty much the same effect!

I think everything in EU has been laid to create a perfect storm on Evernight, because it is literally the only destination for the largest segment of the EU population, so it's probably going to wind up as big as the overall #2 and #3 combined.

Anybody paying attention to the growth rates of Evernight and Arkenstone can see this one coming a mile away, and Turbine's probably not going to ruffle the feathers of the RP community, so the entire situation is gonna go pear shaped because of the EU server flagging.

Yeah, and they started transfers with the smallest pop. servers first, so this is just going to get worse.

I think everything in EU has been laid to create a perfect storm on Evernight, because it is literally the only destination for the largest segment of the EU population, so it's probably going to wind up as big as the overall #2 and #3 combined.

Anybody paying attention to the growth rates of Evernight and Arkenstone can see this one coming a mile away, and Turbine's probably not going to ruffle the feathers of the RP community, so the entire situation is gonna go pear shaped because of the EU server flagging.

Right now this is a problem.

If the future servers hold what they (Turbine) promised at least performance wise it should not be a problem in the future.

If the future hardware holds true then will it still be a problem? I mean besides the big difference in population on the EU servers.

Of course there will be more naming clashes (although it would be funny to see xxXDeathLordXxx-1) and - maybe - housing problems although the latter I thought would be manageable with more neighborhoods on the better hardware.

I guess client side it might be a performance problem no matter what the servers can actually handle.

From Vyvyanne today, when asked if opening up closing worlds for transfer could be sped up:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?579416-World-Transfer-Q-amp-A&p=7460305#post7460305

"On acceleration, not likely, in fact just the opposite until we are up on the new hardware. Many have noted that Evernight is now as large as Brandywine and we do not want to damage performance on that sever before moving to the hardware that can handle the higher populations. I feel we may have to put a small delay after opening the servers next week. Once we are up on the new hardware though, we will accelerate through any closing worlds remaining. "

So now it looks like they're heading towards server gridlock; Two massive worlds making the rest into lagfests, holding up the rest of the transfers. They'll come up with who knows what for a band-aid to limp along, changing plans once more to now get onto the new hardware before finishing the rest of the transfers off closing worlds.

We saw this coming *months* ago.

"On acceleration, not likely, in fact just the opposite until we are up on the new hardware. Many have noted that Evernight is now as large as Brandywine and we do not want to damage performance on that sever before moving to the hardware that can handle the higher populations. I feel we may have to put a small delay after opening the servers next week. Once we are up on the new hardware though, we will accelerate through any closing worlds remaining. "

They already damaged performance. Lag everywhere, Ettens unplayable at certain points, Skill lag, Lag lag, Laggy vault, Laggy mail, Lag.

they should have said.. we don't want to make it worse then the unplayable mess it is.

• Upvote 1

I have some characters NA side and transferred them to Arkenstone yesterday.  Massive lag early evening UK time so that's just going to get worse.  Not so bad atm (5.30am UK).

So how are they going to handle the Evernight situation?  They turned off migration to Brandywine because of the population.  They can't do that for Evernight as non-RP EN speakers will have nowhere to go...

Edited by Iordariel

Aaaannndd - as we expected, you can no longer transfer to Evernight until the new hardware is in place.

Edit: Or not - serves me right for taking a post as gospel :)  seems there was some ambiguity in what was posted

Edited by Iordariel

They don't need to get a $Language for Dummies PDF, seeing they must already have used it to come up with the sorry excuse for translations in their game. I found the state so horrible back in, dunno, 2010?, that I switched to English and from what I heard, it hasn't gotten any better.

SNy

from Vyv, on why didn't they move to the new hardware before the transfers:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?579416-World-Transfer-Q-amp-A&p=7461048#post7461048

"We originally planned it to happen that way, but a major delay in the build out occurred after we had already announced the plans to the player base. We felt that there was a strong enough desire from the players on the smaller worlds to be on more active servers to get the process started sooner as there was no detriment to doing so. Those players get to start playing with more active communities while we complete the hardware work. The only downside is a world like Evernight getting too crowded before we move the hardware. Which is why we are considering slowing transfers after the batch next week. 

To clarify, the hardware is set to be completed before Thanksgiving, so the intent is for all transfers off of closing worlds to be available by then and for all remaining worlds to be available including Brandywine for the closing worlds to transfer to. I expect we will start the free events shortly after the holiday weekend. 

For those asking how long we will be leaving Brandywine and Evernight up for free transfers off world, I intend to leave that option available until the new hardware is online.

As for Maartena's question about turning on more than one world per region for free in the event periods. We can not do that due to the issues that occur when you are able to freely move back and forth between the same worlds in a short time. So we would have 1US and 1EU set for free at a time to prevent this. (Closing world transfers will always be free forever)."

I am not really seeing where Turbine announced Evernight is closed. Maybe it is just speculation they would close it to transfers?

It was this bit that confused me:

The only downside is a world like Evernight getting too crowded before we move the hardware. Which is why we are considering slowing transfers after the batch next week. 

I have no idea what 'slowing transfers' means.