LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

Could have fooled me...

Then it's a non-debatable issue. 

Then you should look past the noise and read the content of my posts on the OF. If you want me to I can list at least half a dozen posts across several threads where I make the point that there needed to be a moratorium on name changes by GMs apart from extreme names such as those that use profanities or leet speak as well as the GMs themselves applying the ruleset with far greater discretion. The problem though was that for some people it was easier to attack the Laurelin community that look at the root cause - the administration of the rules by Turbine's own employees.

So, yes it should be a no-brainer. 

And it should remain on the OF.

Look who's the bossy one....

Meh - if people want to blame random pricks instead of Turbine, that's up to them too, I suppose. Who am I to not let them live in their little dream world?

What dream world? It's the pricks that are to blame. The policy may exist, but it's the pricks abusing it. You're arguing if the policy didn't exist, there wouldn't be a problem. But it's exactly the same thing if the pricks weren't abusing it.

Also, isn't this a bit self-deprecating? 

Knowing that I'm living rent-free up there in the space between your eyes will help me sleep very comfortably tonight.

Surely if you'll sleep comfortably with that thought, it's because he's also in your head?

• Upvote 1

Hey Bango, you should really go read: http://support.turbine.com/link/portal/24001/24001/Article/37/LOTRO-Character-Naming-Policy

I haven't done anything with the information that you're burg's name is in violation of that policy, specifically:

• Proper names and places or close facsimiles thereof, from the story characters or non-player characters (NPCs) introduced in the fiction of Lord of the Rings Online.
  • Trademarked names of products, goods, materials or services.

Because http://bango.com/about/ indicates that that company has been around since 1999, is listed on the London Stock Exchange, so it's very likely that your name originates from that company's name.

I've been giving you a chance to pull whatever you've got stuck up your ass, and stop assigning motive to me where none exists - and you continue to disappoint.

And you're not helping Laurelin with this, either.

So who is now the name troll? Also not sure what your obsession is with "pricks" and "asses" is.. Can't be healthy.

What dream world? It's the pricks that are to blame. The policy may exist, but it's the pricks abusing it. You're arguing if the policy didn't exist, there wouldn't be a problem. But it's exactly the same thing if the pricks weren't abusing it.

Surely if you'll sleep comfortably with that thought, it's because he's also in your head?

On the first point - trolls etc exist in every internet game - it's the nature of the beast. It's the GMs job to create some sanity from all the rubbish they no doubt get sent. Bit like the old dinner ladies who to the playground walk at lunchtime with all the kids running up shouting "Miss! Miss! So and so called me a name" and determining from all of that which can be ignored and that which needs to be acted upon. What was happening on Laurelin was that the dinner ladies were responding to each and every tell-tale.

Last para - good point but it was more the warm feeling after seeing Spurs win away or Arsenal lose badly.

Oh?  That's not what the current political state in the States says, if that's what you're implying.

An old friend of mine used to have the phrase "one up the bum, no harm done" - sounds better when spoken with an East London twang - though personally I prefer to give that sort of stuff a miss. Still, let's hope there are no more body parts or appendages creeping into this thread!

There's nothing to abuse if there's no policy to break.  (How come you don't blame those who are not adhering to the policy? Nothing to report if someone is following it.) If there were a policy against typing the letter "a" in chat and lots of reporting happened, are you going to blame the reporters, the reportees or the policy?

Meh - think what you want.

There's nothing to abuse if there's no policy to break.  (How come you don't blame those who are not adhering to the policy? Nothing to report if someone is following it.) If there were a policy against typing the letter "a" in chat and lots of reporting happened, are you going to blame the reporters, the reportees or the policy?

Meh - think what you want.

And there's no one to abuse it if the abusers are ignored/banned. We can keep going in circles like this.

I don't blame those 'not adhering' to it because 1. I don't agree with it in most respects, 2. I don't see how some names are a problem simply because they remind someone of something else.

I'd blame the reporters. The policy for naming is there to try to keep out the obvious things like 'Lazerkingz' and shit like that. It's overkill, but it's in place. But the majority will be fair enough to not abuse it to the extreme. People use their discretion, and the reporters don't get a free pass to abuse rules just because they exist.

• Upvote 1

What is getting me in that thread is that people are coming in and offering other solutions.  Different people - not the usual players.  And mostly their comments are completely ignored so the arguments between the 'main players' can continue.  And I've kinda noticed that it's usually 2-3 Laurelin residents vs. 1 non-resident. And, unless they are having a go at their current opponent, they only quote others who are from their community and supporting them, usually followed (by one in particular) with hugs and kisses.

This doesn't help because it's making the Laurelin residents appear incredibly intolerant and insular.  

Hugs and kisses are easy.  If you pay attention though, the way you do, the pattern becomes easy to spot.

And wowie zowie, that thread now has screenshots of this forum in it!  Wonder how long that will last?

Edited by warspeech
we're famous!

The whole thing is a power and control issue.  I've probably reported two names over the years.  One of which was when someone named their skirm soldier "Pedofile."  The only other report I can think of is when someone made their afk message.  "Currently away eating my own p****"  I see dumbass names all the time and I roll my eyes and move on.  The policy on that server exists to prevent "Pedofiles" and other offensive and stupid ass shit.  The defense that "their name breaks my immersion." or "they would never have that name in Middle Earth." is just a cover up.  

As many people have pointed out "lots of people have lore breaking names but they've had zero problems for years."  That means that a few people on Laurelin are scumbags who are targetting new transfers.  It seems more like a not in my backyard thing than any actual offense.  Turbine needs to actually read the tickets or ignore the ones coming from the few that are known to be scumbags.  The other option is to look at every name on Laurelin on every account and force name changes for anything that violates the policy.  Be consistent or not at all, not half assed.  

more from Vyv:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?575685-World-Transfer-Status-Updates&p=7464426#post7464426

"Morthond is now available for transfer.

Tomorrow we will open transfers off of Windfola. 

After those two are open, we will be pausing in opening any more closing servers for transfer until we are on the new hardware which will be able to handle the increased populations. We are already seeing great increases in load on the remaining servers and do not wish to put further strain on them and the players on them. This should only be a matter of a few weeks at this point though, so we appreciate your patience."

The latest from Vyv:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?579416-World-Transfer-Q-amp-A&p=7464634#post7464634

"After tomorrow's turning on of Windfola, there will be a pause on opening any of the other closing worlds for transfer (EU or NA) for a few weeks. We are treating both regions equally in this. We have stated multiple times that this might happen as we caught up to the hardware build out this is one of the reasons we started with the smallest worlds first as they were in most need of being moved to the larger communities prior to the new hardware being set up. You will still be able to move, just not yet. We do not want to confuse the situation further by making only some worlds and not other available especially as Gwaihir is as in the realm of Evernight and Brandywine now and Belegaer is quickly closing the gap. As we move to the larger realms, we just increase the chance of making a poor play experience for everyone while we are in these final stages.

I am sorry that this is not moving as quickly as any of us would like, but our alternative would have been to make everyone wait until the new build out was complete and that still would not have moved the timetable forward. 

Announcements will be forthcoming in the next few days on the events that will be taking place between now and then."

I am curious to see if the new hardware can actually support the load, and may God have mercy on us if the issue turns out to be a client side one....

I don't see how any upgrade to the hardware is ever going to fix any of the issues.  I could go out and build a super computer capable of making time travel possible.  Then I go and install windows 3.1 and all that pretty hardware is useless.  That is the core of the problem with Lotro.  It's like slapping a yugo engine in a Lamborghini.  It's gonna look shiny but it will run like shit.

I hope I'm wrong.

I think Vyv mentioned that they would have some kind of events on Bullroarer after the new hardware was in place, to do some stress tests.  I don't know that they'd get anywhere near the numbers they'd need to replicate the largest servers though.  And I don't know what the plan is if the performance turns out to be not that great.

I don't see how any upgrade to the hardware is ever going to fix any of the issues.  I could go out and build a super computer capable of making time travel possible.  Then I go and install windows 3.1 and all that pretty hardware is useless.  That is the core of the problem with Lotro.  It's like slapping a yugo engine in a Lamborghini.  It's gonna look shiny but it will run like shit.

I hope I'm wrong.

This is the key question. Even on upgraded servers, how good will performance on high population servers be. The client and server code is old and probably not well coded. Better servers wont solve the problems of really bad optimization. The game is not going to suddenly run well on those higher end machines that Lotro runs like crap currently.

Edited by nosam9

All I can remember is so many people complained of lag in IC and I'm wondering if these are the same servers?

Pretty sure it is the netcode not the hardware causing lag in IC. In Lotro I would guess a lot of lag is code-related also. Hardware should help Lotro - but I think a lot of problems will remain.

Whatever gave you that idea? =P

Or better question - when is he not?

You're now losing so badly on the OF that we're just splitting our sides with laughter. Keep on posting. boy because it's the best entertainment we've had on the OF for a long, long time.

edit -or as someone else has just replied to one of your little rage posts: it just makes you look weak, desperate and silly

Edited by Bango
for the lols

To be honest, Almagnus, I'd abandon that thread now. They're doing nothing more now than trolling from an imagined position of moral superiority, but they've shown enough of themselves that people know not to bother with Laurelin any more. The original point has just devolved into them painting you as some agenda-based malcontent, so there's nothing more you can do now beyond make a final post thanking them for clearing up how Laurelin is and moving on. They'll probably just wank themselves silly over you not responding, but fuck it a victory is a victory even if the enemy is flailing on the floor.

• Upvote 2

It's sure nice to know that Laurelin has such quality members like you.

Way to be the pillar of the community and a shining example.

On the bright side, at least the thread is a PSA on why we all should stay the hell away from Laurelin - and I have to thank you for it because it wouldn't have been possible without your try-hard attitude, and the general awesome attitude of many of the Laurelin posters in that thread.  And as all y'all keep responding, you're actually keeping that PSA on the front page right near the top of the OF.

Way to go son, and way to make Laurelin proud.

/congratulates Bango

That's desperate, boy even for you The trouble you have is that so many have argued against you, that you're attempts to try and turn the discussion around into an anti-Laurelin / anti-rp'er attack have crashed and burned. So I'm just carrying this on for the shiz & giggles because each and every time someone from Turbine reads that thread they'll piss themselves laughing at your posts. Keep it going, boy - top class entertainment.

To be honest, Almagnus, I'd abandon that thread now. They're doing nothing more now than trolling from an imagined position of moral superiority, but they've shown enough of themselves that people know not to bother with Laurelin any more. The original point has just devolved into them painting you as some agenda-based malcontent, so there's nothing more you can do now beyond make a final post thanking them for clearing up how Laurelin is and moving on. They'll probably just wank themselves silly over you not responding, but fuck it a victory is a victory even if the enemy is flailing on the floor.

The only victory for the boy here is one in his own little imagination. The whole nation of scrapping the RP rules has been shown up to be totally unnecessary and he's not provided anything to support the argument, and hardly anyone has given him support. So whether the thread carries on or it stops it's a win/win for Laurelin.

The only victory for the boy here is one in his own little imagination. The whole nation of scrapping the RP rules has been shown up to be totally unnecessary and he's not provided anything to support the argument, and hardly anyone has given him support. So whether the thread carries on or it stops it's a win/win for Laurelin.

Sure thing.

• Upvote 1

But didn't Turbine itself say that the naming rules will be "loosened" for some time? What is this act if not an official admittance that something in the system is apparently broken? Justifying the act only with "a lot of new people are coming in" is not an excuse, if you think about it. It either works and is good in every condition, or it's not and needs fixing.

• Upvote 1