LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

It's sort of odd that this has become an issue.  Technically, from the admissions of several from Laurelin, it's a minority of players who actually RP, so why are they being given the lion's share of consideration.  PvMP's have had to weather not being given a large amount of consideration for years and have more-or-less adapted to that.  Why can't the RP'ers on Laurelin?  Are they trying to suggest that their minority is, in some way, a majority?

Special server is special.   SPECIAL, dammit!!!!

• Upvote 3

Fear of change, and before

It's sort of odd that this has become an issue.  Technically, from the admissions of several from Laurelin, it's a minority of players who actually RP, so why are they being given the lion's share of consideration.  PvMP's have had to weather not being given a large amount of consideration for years and have more-or-less adapted to that.  Why can't the RP'ers on Laurelin?  Are they trying to suggest that their minority is, in some way, a majority?

Before the merges, fear of change and fear of the unknown.  I know, I do it too.  Imagine all sorts of issues and how I will cope and what I will do.  So, when the remaining servers were announced I can imagine groups of Laurelin people dreading the merges and the changes to their world and coming together to discuss what they could do to preserve it.  Bango almost corroborated this in a post above saying how they were all laughing at Al.  I found it quite abhorrent to imagine groups of people huddled together plotting their next posts to bring him down.  Ok, a bit dramatic there - I would make a fine RP-er wouldn't I :)

Seriously fear of change makes people behave in the daftest ways trying to avoid it.  Imagination is a terrible thing.

There are 2 trolls on Laurelin that everyone tells you to put on ignore (Bango will know who they are).  I saw one a couple of weeks ago talking about reporting a player, I imagined him gleefully rubbing his hands together when he spoke about 'seeing what my friendly GM has to say about this' (his words, not mine).

And please don't entice that awful hugger here.  That will be 2 people I'll have to ignore dammit!

Edited by Iordariel
Grammar!
  • Upvote 1

I always felt that the term immersion or arguing that it will break the immersion was a total crock of shit.  I have not once, in all the years I've been playing, felt "immersed" in Middle Earth.  I liked seeing a virtual representation of iconic locales.  However, once I hit up that swift travel, get charged auction and mail fees, teleport all over the map, that "immersion" goes right out the door.  Regardless of what someones name is and as Bango likes to keep putting up there xxxxIpwnnubsxxx I will always be completely aware that it isn't a real place and I'm not really a defender of the free peoples.  However, should I start abusing mescaline while playing the game then maybe I could get into this rp thing and feel "immersed."

Actually,  how it can be known if the several overexcited name-reporters are from the RPing minority and not just some assholes that want less people on their server?

The funny thing is --and this is just my perspective for the near future,-- after the finalization of server merges + hardware upgrade, Turbine will realize that a single non-RP EN server can't take the load (despite the few lotro players in total, and despite the bragging of how awesome the new hard is). And then they'll make the other EN server non-RP, or very loosely RP, in order to distribute the players more evenly. They'll of course explain it with desire for tolerance for all players or some other PR shit, or who knows - maybe one or two "minority arguments" will be thrown-in as well. I mean, it's been quite some time since that was used for justification of something...

• Upvote 1

From Vyv today:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?579416-World-Transfer-Q-amp-A&p=7465272#post7465272

"Windfola is now available for transfers to the remaining worlds.

This will officially put us on a transfer pause while we wait for the hardware to catch up so as not to overburden the remaining worlds in the meantime. Good news is we look to be less than a month away at this point. Once we are on the new hardware, we will speed up the process and everyone should be able to move well before the end of the year!

Concerns about housing availability: We are running queries on the largest worlds and if it looks like we are nearing the neighborhood cap, we will add more in a patch. 

More info on the testing of the new hardware and data center on Bullroarer coming up! We should have an announcement to share on that today or tomorrow."

Hey Bango, I see that you are your Laurelin crew are doing a stand up job of carrying the banner, even when the original intent of that thread was to discuss the idea of changing the server rules from RP to RE, with no other alternative motive.  It was actually basically the same thing that I did with all the posts in the captain forums, except it was to address something with the rules that I saw was causing an issue, and anyone familiar with the captain forums should have spotted that.

And at the time, there was no ill feeling towards Laurelin as well (thanks to the thread, that has changed).  I had not anticipated that Laurelin would have brought out the full on crazy to the thread, and the thread shows what happens if you run afoul or ruffle feathers of some of the Lauerlin posters.

And also, if I really do hate RP, why did I move from Elendilmir => Landroval, and not Elendilmir => Arkenstone?

But I have no small confidence that you're going to screenshot this, and stick it over on the OF (again), and you are going to copy and paste that information, but I am confident that the information relating to your name violation will get used, as you are clearly no saint.  Going by your interaction with others, you have probably made many enemies on Laurelin, and I am willing to bet at least one of them has seen that information, so acting on it is up to them.  At least Maartena has realized the complete foolhardiness of you attempting to stand behind any naming rules, as if you wish the rules to be enforced, then your burg must be renamed, because now the OF knows about http://www.bango.com/ and unlike your BingoBoffins.com joke, Bango has been shown to both be a company on the London stock exchange, and predate LotRO.  'Tis better that the sword hangs, so they say.

So yes, brave forum warrior, fight on, and slay that thread like Bard slew Smaug.  Show us all just how "awesome" Laurelin really is, and why we should all stay away from it.

And now Turbine can cite that thread as a textbook reason why Laurelin players are woefully intolerant.  Laurelin will have reaped what it has sown.

Just two points

1. "your Laurelin crew". Is that how you classify people who disagree with you? And judging by the OF thread, all of them posting do. So you've lost that one.

2. You really are a dumb-shit, boy. The trade-mark rule is not part of the specific Laurelin RP rules but are a requirement on all servers. Why don't you actually read the rules before you get hot under the collar about it. So even your little suggestion would not stop that from being an option for trolls. next time you try to be smart, actually put your brain in gear first.

and on that note, thanks for the lols and I'm off to play swtor on one of the RP servers....

ps - thanks for the further evidence of your anti-rp'er agenda. Priceless.

2. You really are a dumb-shit, boy. The trade-mark rule is not part of the specific Laurelin RP rules but are a requirement on all servers. Why don't you actually read the rules before you get hot under the collar about it. 

says the guy who got schooled on the OF by Wirbel about the rule against trade-mark being in the CoC in the first place: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?579158-Convert-all-RP-Servers-to-RE-Servers&p=7465209#post7465209

i can't even take you serious anymore.

Edited by Papi
Edit, repost link, thanks Doro

says the guy who got schooled on the OF by Wirbel about the rule against trade-mark being in the CoC in the first place (post #759): https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?579158-Convert-all-RP-Servers-to-RE-Servers/page31

i can't even take you serious anymore.

If you click the post number, you get a link that goes directly to the post you want.

This is so very odd. Doro tried to slap me down three pages ago for saying the root issue involved is the special nature of the RP rules on Laurelin, including the naming rules. Now he's on a tear for most of last page about how the rules ought to be changed to help resolve the issue.

Like I said, very odd.

But didn't Turbine itself say that the naming rules will be "loosened" for some time? What is this act if not an official admittance that something in the system is apparently broken? Justifying the act only with "a lot of new people are coming in" is not an excuse, if you think about it. It either works and is good in every condition, or it's not and needs fixing.

According to Vyv, Turbine will "attempt to practice a relaxed version of the naming rule" until December 31st. "After the final free server transfers, the naming policy will revert to the original roleplay enforced version and your name will be subject to those rules."

So, some folks will be lulled into a sense of safety and by the time they figure out they're going to  lose their names it will be too late for them to transfer off Laurelin for free. Sounds like a dirty trick to me.  

Actually,  how it can be known if the several overexcited name-reporters are from the RPing minority and not just some assholes that want less people on their server?

Yep. I've suspected keeping their server population numbers down has been the Laurelin Naming Nazis' real agenda all along. How convenient they have an 'official' rule that creates a hostile enough environment to ward off potiental immigrants. 

This is so very odd. Doro tried to slap me down three pages ago for saying the root issue involved is the special nature of the RP rules on Laurelin, including the naming rules. Now he's on a tear for most of last page about how the rules ought to be changed to help resolve the issue.

Like I said, very odd.

Not odd at all. I do think the rules are a problem. I just think that the people who abuse the report system are to blame. These aren't mutually exclusive view points.

That thread is just rolling along with one batshit crazy thing after another, so no news there.  In other news:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?580306-Help-us-test-the-new-Datacenter-this-Saturday-October-24th-5-7PM-Eastern-and-win-prizes!&p=7465513#post7465513

"This Saturday October 24th from 5-7PM Eastern we need your help testing our new Datacenter on Bullroarer. We need as many players as possible to log onto Bullroarer and play. Many members of the team will be on hand running live events and chatting with players in Bree. Everyone who logs into Bullroarer during this event will be eligible to win one of the following prizes: A lifetime account, 10,000 Turbine points, and 1000 Turbine points. Everyone who logs will get 100 Turbine points added to their accounts when we hand out the prizes. You can download the Bullroarer client here:https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?571061-Bullroarer-client-Installer-DOWNLOAD-LNKS
ttps://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?571061-Bullroarer-client-Installer-DOWNLOAD-LINKS
Thank you everyone for your help with this and we are looking forward to seeing you all there this Saturday."

Not odd at all. I do think the rules are a problem. I just think that the people who abuse the report system are to blame. These aren't mutually exclusive view points.

Those people aren't going anywhere so, according to you, changing the rules will mean nothing but you've spent the last page saying the opposite.

Edited by FundinStrongarm

Those people aren't going anywhere so, according to you, changing the rules will mean nothing but you've spent the last page saying the opposite.

You may be confused about what I'm actually saying. I'm saying the BLAME is firmly on those abusing the report function. When it comes to adjusting the rules to compensate for this, I'm saying that removing the RP rules is a better idea than simply changing how GMs react to them (because reactions are subjective).

You may be confused about what I'm actually saying. I'm saying the BLAME is firmly on those abusing the report function. When it comes to adjusting the rules to compensate for this, I'm saying that removing the RP rules is a better idea than simply changing how GMs react to them (because reactions are subjective).

Exactly,

remember the Cliving Farm, or indeed all those farming exploits that kept coming out around RoR time?

the blame from turbine and some members of the community was placed firmly in the players carrying out the exploits and farming, the system itself was broke and needing fixing but it was the people doing the deed got the blame, same situation here, the system is wrong and needs fixing but it's the people who know that and abuse it for their own gains that are to blame.

Doesnt alter the fact that the easiest way to fix it is to change the system rather than try and convince each and every dick sack who wants to report people just because they need to be a dickhead on a regular basis that they need to stop.

• Upvote 1

I understand. You blame the drivers for accidents at the random stop sign but argue to have the sign removed. Gotcha.

Entirely different thing, and you know it. One involves people following a law and suffering for it. The other involves people intentionally abusing a rule to fuck other people over.

• Upvote 1

Entirely different thing, and you know it. One involves people following a law and suffering for it. The other involves people intentionally abusing a rule to fuck other people over.

Who's intentionally abusing the rules? Those breaking the naming law and suffering for it? I wonder what would happen if the law were changed like you've been arguing for?

I misspoke. You're blaming the bystanders who call the police at the random stop sign gleefully reporting those that get into accidents or run it. But you argue to get rid of the stop sign at least. Baby steps.

Who's intentionally abusing the rules? Those breaking the naming law and suffering for it? I wonder what would happen if the law were changed like you've been arguing for?

I misspoke. You're blaming the bystanders who call the police at the random stop sign gleefully reporting those that get into accidents or run it. But you argue to get rid of the stop sign at least. Baby steps.

The one's reporting it, as I've made clear countless times already.

Again, not even a remotely similar analogy. Try again without aiming for misrepresentation.

• Upvote 1

The amazing thing is that thread over there is still going strong.  Almost 40 pages now.  I've seen threads locked for far less so I suppose that's one more notch on the ol' inconsistency belt.  It's almost like they want the drama to keep going, or they haven't bothered to check the forums recently.

The one's reporting it, as I've made clear countless times already.

Again, not even a remotely similar analogy. Try again without aiming for misrepresentation.

Well, then continue to argue to change the rules but believe that's not the root of the problem. Carry on.

Well, then continue to argue to change the rules but believe that's not the root of the problem. Carry on.

Right, this is the last time I'll try to explain it to you.

The people abusing the report function are the problem more-so than the rules. If people used their discretion and didn't aim to screw people over, there would be no issue. They are to blame for abusing the rules. No one else is to blame for their actions, and arguing otherwise is doing nothing more than excusing the behaviour of dickheads.

But, if the argument is about altering the rules, as Bango said his point was in the whole RP to RE thing, then removing the RP rules is a more viable option than changing a subjective standard for GM decisions. It would set every server to the same naming rules, so what isn't suitable on one isn't suitable on any.

• Upvote 1

Right, this is the last time I'll try to explain it to you.

The people abusing the report function are the problem more-so than the rules. If people used their discretion and didn't aim to screw people over, there would be no issue. They are to blame for abusing the rules. No one else is to blame for their actions, and arguing otherwise is doing nothing more than excusing the behaviour of dickheads.

But, if the argument is about altering the rules, as Bango said his point was in the whole RP to RE thing, then removing the RP rules is a more viable option than changing a subjective standard for GM decisions. It would set every server to the same naming rules, so what isn't suitable on one isn't suitable on any.

This is basically how the entire world functions.  Allow me to over-complicate the shit out of this.  We have laws and those laws are created by lawmakers.  We have judges that interpret those laws and pass on judgment in accordance to those.  Now if at some point a law is deemed punitive or excessive they change the law.  They don't fire all the judges and hire new ones who they hope will interpret the law the way they want.  

People are assholes and they abusing this rule so they can be even bigger assholes.  It's why they argue their ass off why their name doesn't violate the rules but someone else's does, even if that name is just as innocent as theirs.  Since they can't fire all the GMs and instructing them on what opinion to have is going to create bigger drama, then 7000 gold cookies to you sir for stating the exact solution to this issue.  How anyone can't see this is beyond me.

• Upvote 1